Post Count
    That pump needs a sticker

"Promises made, promises kept"

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More reason the get the State credit and buy electric
    Electric cars are still too expensive, and too inefficient. How am I supposed to drive from Texas to Michigan and back in a Tesla? Where are all the EV station ports I can go to along the interstates in order to charge my EV in less than 10 minutes?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prediction are that in 2030 more oil will be pumped then than now

Himalayas melting, nobody does . BigCoal Manchin, alone, kills CEPP

Climate Change Viewed From the Attic of the World

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/10...-of-the-world/

========================

Intelligence community: 'No country will be spared' from climate-related challenges

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...d-from-climate

... nobody does .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Filled my tanks before this happened. Saw it coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta charge those batteries with something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electric cars are still too expensive, and too inefficient. How am I supposed to drive from Texas to Michigan and back in a Tesla? Where are all the EV station ports I can go to along the interstates in order to charge my EV in less than 10 minutes?
    uh? Looks like you've never driven a Tesla... you program point A to point B and it will route you including any stops to charge your car. It does take ~20 mins to charge for 200 miles (varies by vehicle). It's actually pretty well thought out.

But we're talking California anyways, there's charging stations everywhere in this state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uh? Looks like you've never driven a Tesla... you program point A to point B and it will route you including any stops to charge your car. It does take ~20 mins to charge for 200 miles (varies by vehicle). It's actually pretty well thought out.

But we're talking California anyways, there's charging stations everywhere in this state.
    Not here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta charge those batteries with something.
    Not sure what you're referring to... electric motors are about twice as efficient as combustion engines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where 'here' is, but you'll join the rest of the advanced world sooner or later, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's not the point. if you're trying to traverse the entire lower-48 in one vehicle. 20 minutes to charge for 200 miles is a bit inefficient... but how much does it cost?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what you're referring to... electric motors are about twice as efficient as combustion engines.
    They get charged by the grid, which is FUELED by something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep mining that lithium

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They get charged by the grid, which is FUELED by something.
    The grid is fueled by a lot of sources, including renewables. 1/3 of the grid here in California is fed by renewables, and the biggest contribution is from natural gas.

But even in the event of being supplied by dirty sources, the fact that you only need half the amount of energy to power the same engine with near zero emissions means substantial pollution reduction and better cost per energy unit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey poors, just buy a Tesla

Todays libs smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not the point. if you're trying to traverse the entire lower-48 in one vehicle. 20 minutes to charge for 200 miles is a bit inefficient... but how much does it cost?
    Of course it's the point, the OP was talking specifically about gas prices in one town in California.

And what you mean in how long it takes to charge is time consuming, not inefficient. Tier 3 charging stations are the so far the best and do 3 to 20 miles per minute, depending on the station and car. It'll get better over time.

As far as cost:

A 2018 study from the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Ins ute found that electric vehicles cost less than half as much to operate as gas-powered cars. The average cost to operate an EV in the United States is $485 per year, while the average for a gasoline-powered vehicle is $1,117

https://www.energysage.com/electric-...fuel-vehicles/

Which is in-line with electric engines being roughly twice as efficient as combustion engines (~80% vs ~40%).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey poors, just buy a Tesla

Todays libs smh
    Or Ford, or Chevy... plenty of options these days....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The grid is fueled by a lot of sources, including renewables. 1/3 of the grid here in California is fed by renewables, and the biggest contribution is from natural gas.

But even in the event of being supplied by dirty sources, the fact that you only need half the amount of energy to power the same engine with near zero emissions means substantial pollution reduction and better cost per energy unit.

Now, imagine everyone in California owning a Tesla.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's the point, the OP was talking specifically about gas prices in one town in California.

And what you mean in how long it takes to charge is time consuming, not inefficient. Tier 3 charging stations are the so far the best and do 3 to 20 miles per minute, depending on the station and car. It'll get better over time.

As far as cost:

A 2018 study from the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Ins ute found that electric vehicles cost less than half as much to operate as gas-powered cars. The average cost to operate an EV in the United States is $485 per year, while the average for a gasoline-powered vehicle is $1,117

https://www.energysage.com/electric-...fuel-vehicles/

Which is in-line with electric engines being roughly twice as efficient as combustion engines (~80% vs ~40%).
    2018.... tee-hee. Gas was half as expensive in 2018 as it is now.

Also, stopping every 200 miles for 20 minutes is inefficient compared to stopping for 5-7 minutes every 500 miles in my Hybrid Camry (which includes filling the tank, taking a piss and putting ice in my drink).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2018.... tee-hee. Gas was half as expensive in 2018 as it is now.

Also, stopping every 200 miles for 20 minutes is inefficient compared to stopping for 5-7 minutes every 500 miles in my Hybrid Camry (which includes filling the tank, taking a piss and putting ice in my drink).
    Which would make the savings twice as big... every time gas goes up it makes electric more appealing.

Hybrid is great too, great savings there as well, which also mitigate gas prices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, imagine everyone in California owning a Tesla.
    What's with the fixation on Tesla? Lots of companies doing EVs and Hybrid these days. Hybrids now also have EV only mode as well.

I think Ford is debuting their F-150 EV soon too... Lots of options out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the fixation on Tesla? Lots of companies doing EVs and Hybrid these days. Hybrids now also have EV only mode as well.

I think Ford is debuting their F-150 EV soon too... Lots of options out there.
    Now, imagine everyone in California has EVs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, imagine everyone in California has EVs.
    ok? is this like what you said about incandescent lightbulbs

It won't happen overnight, but the tech is good enough right now and only getting better. Automakers are onboard as well, they get to sell you new cars.

And California already put a date on it, we'll see if it sticks:
    https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/09/23/go...limate-change/

Thread Information