Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They get charged by the grid, which is FUELED by something.
    Wonder what other scenarios Darrin uses the “but they still need fuel” argument

hey, my Camry gets better gas mileage than a Sequoia.

yAh BuT iT sTiLl uSeS fUeL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eventually it will be more feasible to own EV as the ability to refuel will increase. Right now trying to use them for travel for more than daily driving with night charging or workplace charging is challenging. With dino fuels you can top off in a few minutes compared to hours for EV, even if you have super charging which isn't widely available. Still worthwhile to own one if you're doing daily stuff an have another vehicle for longer trips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder what other scenarios Darrin uses the “but they still need fuel” argument

hey, my Camry gets better gas mileage than a Sequoia.

yAh BuT iT sTiLl uSeS fUeL
    Who are you talking to? You quoted Darrin but then you seem to be talking to an audience.

Using silly tactics in your response doesn't illustrate you're mature enough to have a conversation about things.

Darrin was saying the fuel needed to power vehicles comes from power plants, and the more vehicles that need to be powered with electricity the more these plants need to run, and they were at capacity just doing normal home last year. You'd need to build more power plants to have fast charging if everyone decided to start using 100Amp charging. It's not going to happen but you cannot just compare fuel at the pump between cars and say one is that much better. It has to get energy from somewhere, just not at the gas pump.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It worked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are you talking to? You quoted Darrin but then you seem to be talking to an audience.

Using silly tactics in your response doesn't illustrate you're mature enough to have a conversation about things.

Darrin was saying the fuel needed to power vehicles comes from power plants, and the more vehicles that need to be powered with electricity the more these plants need to run, and they were at capacity just doing normal home last year. You'd need to build more power plants to have fast charging if everyone decided to start using 100Amp charging. It's not going to happen but you cannot just compare fuel at the pump between cars and say one is that much better. It has to get energy from somewhere, just not at the gas pump.
    he tried to make a snarky point implying that EVs are no greener than traditional combustion vehicles because they also require some form of fuel/energy

it was a very stupid point and deserved mockery

you think you're nobly defending the "little guys" like derp, calf tats, and darrin when really you're just one of them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eventually it will be more feasible to own EV as the ability to refuel will increase. Right now trying to use them for travel for more than daily driving with night charging or workplace charging is challenging. With dino fuels you can top off in a few minutes compared to hours for EV, even if you have super charging which isn't widely available. Still worthwhile to own one if you're doing daily stuff an have another vehicle for longer trips.
    Agreed, I wouldn't have considered EV in another state, tbh... here I have EV chargers in the parking lot at the office, and there are EV chargers everywhere in the city.

Then again, after seeing the infrastructure here, it dawns on you that this works, and probably will be what the future looks like. Combustion engines have been around for a long time, and you really can't make them substantially more efficient.

On EVs the challenge is battery capacity, which is a difficult problem, but one where we've made consistent advances for years.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No he was not saying this. He was assuming energy must come from fuel. Do you consider wind fuel? Do you consider sunlight fuel?

This is not the way most people refer to fuel.
    Dont tell us what he was saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, I wouldn't have considered EV in another state, tbh... here I have EV chargers in the parking lot at the office, and there are EV chargers everywhere in the city.

Then again, after seeing the infrastructure here, it dawns on you that this works, and probably will be what the future looks like. Combustion engines have been around for a long time, and you really can't make them substantially more efficient.

On EVs the challenge is battery capacity, which is a difficult problem, but one where we've made consistent advances for years.
    If you use the same route to work and know where you charge it you could use an EV if you have a plan.
    But right now, it will most likely cost you more if you charge it commercially.

Internal combustion engines are drastically more efficient in big hauling machines and its going to take a big leap for batteries to change this. The capacity for batteries to hold enough energy and get smaller is tough. We cant end up with little bombs or something really dangerous it seems. That much energy in a small volume and mass gone wrong and turned into heat energy is worrisome. But I agree the research lies in this area to make it happen. 95% of new power capacity in Texas being readied for use is going to be wind, sun and batteries. And the oil companies are in on it because it will work.
    Last edited by pgardn; 10-24-2021 at 01:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will go kicking and screaming into renewables and the drill and burn baby burn will no longer be available to trigger the libs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you use the same route to work and know where you charge it you could use an EV if you have a plan.
    But right now, it will most likely cost you more if you charge it commercially.
    maybe? really depends on the state and basically the price of gas.

Another big difference as well is that you can charge your car at home overnight, and that opens the door to offsetting that cost via solar panels and the like.

There are literally many more possibilities.

Internal combustion engines are drastically more efficient in big hauling machines and its going to take a big leap for batteries to change this. The capacity for batteries to hold enough energy and get smaller is tough. We cant end up with little bombs or something really dangerous it seems. That much energy in a small volume and mass gone wrong and turned into heat energy is worrisome. But I agree the research lies in this area to make it happen. 95% of new power capacity in Texas being readied for use is going to be wind, sun and batteries. And the oil companies are in on it because it will work.
    I'm less concerned with larger trucks, etc. If we get close to the point where those are the vast majority of users of diesel/gas, then that'd be good news and a great place to be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That won’t happen in our lifetime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in my 40s, I'm pretty sure it's going to happen in my lifetime, tbh... I do expect big cities to lead the way here though, with the usual dinosaur rural/oil-producing states being much more late as it's typical with innovation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe? really depends on the state and basically the price of gas.

Another big difference as well is that you can charge your car at home overnight, and that opens the door to offsetting that cost via solar panels and the like.

There are literally many more possibilities.

I'm less concerned with larger trucks, etc. If we get close to the point where those are the vast majority of users of diesel/gas, then that'd be good news and a great place to be.
    In majority of states the price of charging an EV is more than the price of gas IF, you charge commercially and not at home. Also the dead driving "looking for a charging station" is a problem which is why a mentioned a known route to work etc...

Agree with the big hauling stuff. Merely pointing out hydrocarbons wont go away anytime soon. With as many cars as California gets stuck on major thoroughfares individual transportation via a combustion engine, its a loser in the long run, absolutely. imo I will definitely see more EV in my lifetime on the road than gas powered, Id put a bet on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in my 40s, I'm pretty sure it's going to happen in my lifetime, tbh... I do expect big cities to lead the way here though, with the usual dinosaur rural/oil-producing states being much more late as it's typical with innovation.
    Same people that cried when automobiles replaced horses crying about issues that no longer matter.

muh horse stable jobs
    muh horse manure cleaning jobs
    muh food cover to protect against horse flies
    muh farrier jobs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he tried to make a snarky point implying that EVs are no greener than traditional combustion vehicles because they also require some form of fuel/energy
    Was he wrong?
    it was a very stupid point and deserved mockery
    You seem to use that line of reasoning for a lot of , mostly no one asked your opinion about.
    you think you're nobly defending the "little guys" like derp, calf tats, and darrin when really you're just one of them
    Canta no llores.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he was not saying this. He was assuming energy must come from fuel. Do you consider wind fuel? Do you consider sunlight fuel?

This is not the way most people refer to fuel.
    Dont tell us what he was saying.
    No one asked you, got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one asked you, got.
    I dont fkn care so eat me old man.

Dont tell us what Darrin was saying.
    Its apparent to me he thought the real fuel for EV had to be hydrocarbons ultimately. Well it does NOT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was he wrong?

You seem to use that line of reasoning for a lot of , mostly no one asked your opinion about.

Canta no llores.
    Yes he was very wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont fkn care so eat me old man.

Dont tell us what Darrin was saying.
    Its apparent to me he thought the real fuel for EV had to be hydrocarbons ultimately. Well it does NOT.
    Karrin should speak up and say whether he appreciates a ventriloquist with fat hands trying to tranny-splain what he said, tbh.
    Last edited by Ef-man; 10-24-2021 at 07:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he was very wrong
    Everyone just needs to purchase solar panels and powerwalls.

Moar batteries

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for the UK

"The metal resource needed to make all cars and vans electric by 2050 and all sales to be purely battery electric by 2035. To replace all UK-based vehicles today with electric vehicles (not including the LGV and HGV fleets), assuming they use the most resource-frugal next-generation NMC 811 batteries, would take 207,900 tonnes cobalt, 264,600 tonnes of lithium carbonate (LCE), at least 7,200 tonnes of neodymium and dysprosium, in addition to 2,362,500 tonnes copper. This represents, just under two times the total annual world cobalt production, nearly the entire world production of neodymium, three quarters the world’s lithium production and 12% of the world’s copper production during 2018. Even ensuring the annual supply of electric vehicles only, from 2035 as pledged, will require the UK to annually import the equivalent of the entire annual cobalt needs of European industry."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone just needs to purchase solar panels and powerwalls.

Moar batteries
    probably not economically viable for everyone. im glad some states like CA give big subsidies. having everybody get at least some of their energy via solar would be a great thing environmentally.

nobody denied that there are environmental drawbacks to making batteries. its still preferable to burning fossil fuels

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its as though people found a way to convert a quarter into a dollar, celebrating that they're making more money, and your retort is

"heh... you still had to spend a quarter, so it still costs you money"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its as though people found a way to convert a quarter into a dollar, celebrating that they're making more money, and your retort is

"heh... you still had to spend a quarter, so it still costs you money"

I don't think its practical for everyone to own EV.

Thread Information