Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems Pop didn't play Devin much tonight. Maybe he was resting him for tomorrow night?
    Devin played. He just wasn't aggressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those of you being critical of Murray, have you actually looked at his stat line? Y'all act like its atrocious and outside of missing a shot or two too many and maybe 1 too many TOs its not a bad line, at all.

15 PT
    7-18 FG
    1-4 3p
    9 Reb
    6 Ast
    2 Stl (honestly thought he had more - definite bigger defensive impact than this)
    4 TO
    +2 +/-

I'd like him to score more efficiently, but right now you all need to understand he's the best off the dribble player on this team so he has to fill that role and he's probably going to strugle at times. DJM is not Tony Parker.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    goddamn what's going on with the lakers? I just turned to Espn after our game and at least I get to see them get their asses whipped lol
    Davis and Dwight beefing on the bench. That roster is a show

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a fair take tbh... He was clearly gassed. He starts fast and ends slow. Just needs to flip that. It should be a steady climb in intensity... The last couple games he hasn't had nothing left in the tank by the end.
    No way I'm buying a "gassed" excuse regarding shooting 3's by Dejounte. I could accept it if it was a one-time occurence, but this is only an instance in a years-long trend by him of shying away from taking 3pointers of any kind, and it's only exaccerbated in crunch time tbh. It literally would've cost him less energy to stop and pull up from 3, than it would've to keep running aimlessly only to throw a prayer-pass to White to make him bail the Spurs out or sink them. Not fair to White.

You can literally see his body language regarding 3's, I don't get why it's such a topic of discussion when it's pretty cut and dry that he doesn't like taking 3's. He had a literally open one earlier in the game, hesitated by himself, and fired it short. I think that was his only attempt for the entire game. Unacceptable for your starting PG in '21.

He's not the reason we lost the game, by any stretch, btw. I'm not scapegoating Murray. It's just a long-time-coming critique of a fatal flaw in his game, and the reason I wouldn't at all mind him getting moved from the Spurs.

Also A Pacers Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disappointed in the L but the teams gonna have nights like this. The only thing I didn’t like is the spurs gotta unload Thad Young I don’t like him playing at all

Who else we gonna play tonight with Eubanks and Poetel in foul trouble?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That tier one D will literally keep us in most of our games this year... Kids are just gonna have to step up offensively. It's gonna be hard because they expend so much energy and effort defending.

Positive though is that we should theoretically be well experienced in tight games. Those potential yields do wonders in the playoffs should we make it.
    Yea the fatigue thing is an issue. I've noticed it, and wonder how long they can maintain it and if they really can feasibly.

Dejounte white and keldon played heavy tonight. I'm glad he didn't put Forbes back in, and lonnie and Devin weren't playing the best but not sure about those minutes with this type of team. Primo and tre should get more burn to help out with that second unit. Or out one of those guys in the second unit to help stagger better.

The way they play, I don't think 35 mins a game is gonna work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gave it a good shot. There were probably two shots that could have tipped it -- a miss by McDermott on the wing and a Vassell straight-on three. One of those hit, and it's much closer to a win.

Was going to be tough beating them in their home opener. Interesting to see a zone.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ makes sense for the team this year. His defense kept us close with several great plays throughout. I've normally wanted to trade him, but without all the bloated veterans of last year, he fits in much better this year. I've come around on him, in part because he isn't the only distributor on the team. It's not like he's trying to emulate DDR out there. He still has flaws, but they shouldn't surprise anyone at this point. I'm more worried about Walker and Vassel being consistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our shooters couldn’t shoot tonight. That and Jokic shutting down every run the Spur made. He was defended well and still made those silly looking shots. He’s MVP for a reason. “Best young Spur” Vassell didn’t show up tonight. Like I was saying, when he’s not feeling it shooting-wise, he doesn’t have a diverse enough game to do anything else yet. Yes, Murray made some bad decisions tonight but the people pointing to him as the root cause for this loss are simply wrong. Others were just as bad shooting-wise, and there’s not much more “set-up” you can do for your guys when they're not making their shots.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now that makes no ing sense whatsoever. So basically what the league is saying that there will be blatant cheating this year in the playoffs to get a Nets/Lakers finals since no more reviews under 2 mins?

Well not exactly, the ref can do a "personal review" without making it open and just do not have the video to do it. He "reviewed" his out of bound decision from Spurs ball when it hits Jokic feet to Nuggets ball when their players swarmed him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest problem tonight was turnovers. The Spurs simply aren't going to win many games with 20 TOs. They need to be somewhere under 15 to have a real chance to win games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic was the difference maker. He shot above 70 percent from the field. If he shoots around 50 the Spurs probably win. Jokic is a top 5 player. Not much you can do when a player of that caliber goes off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I'm buying a "gassed" excuse regarding shooting 3's by Dejounte. I could accept it if it was a one-time occurence, but this is only an instance in a years-long trend by him of shying away from taking 3pointers of any kind, and it's only exaccerbated in crunch time tbh. It literally would've cost him less energy to stop and pull up from 3, than it would've to keep running aimlessly only to throw a prayer-pass to White to make him bail the Spurs out or sink them. Not fair to White.

You can literally see his body language regarding 3's, I don't get why it's such a topic of discussion when it's pretty cut and dry that he doesn't like taking 3's. He had a literally open one earlier in the game, hesitated by himself, and fired it short. I think that was his only attempt for the entire game. Unacceptable for your starting PG in '21.

He's not the reason we lost the game, by any stretch, btw. I'm not scapegoating Murray. It's just a long-time-coming critique of a fatal flaw in his game, and the reason I wouldn't at all mind him getting moved from the Spurs.
    I agree with all of this. If DJM has a consistent 3 point shot, he'd be pretty damn amazing and it is 100% the biggest flaw in his game, IMO. Its unlikely that he makes a step to become a 40% 3P shooter ever, but if dude can just hit 33% consistently then it would be a huge benefit. Then again, who's breaking down the defense to get him open 3s on this team? That right there is part of the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs looked sharp sometimes, other times clunky. Second game of the season, as expected. It's a vastly better team to watch than the last few seasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be nice if Tre can crack the rotation soon. Team badly needs a true PG to steady the 2nd unit tbh.

He did tonight for a minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic was the difference maker. He shot above 70 percent from the field. If he shoots around 50 the Spurs probably win. Jokic is a top 5 player. Not much you can do when a player of that caliber goes off.
    Even with that, we were right there. I just want more fearlessness on offense. More of the guys at least pretending to pose a threat would have been the difference for us, but no one was willing to attack.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posters are overreacting with just focusing on one thing and then looking at the final score.

Our Defense looked really good out there. We almost kept them under a 100 pts. That is some solid D. Spurs were scrappy and kept fighting.

Last year's squad would have just crumpled after that 9-2 run to start the 2nd half.

There was soon loose decisionmaking, players were getting good looks and not getting the 3 ball to drop.

Keldon improved and continued his play from Game 1 of the season so did White and Poeltl. Murray looked good but he would rush himself at times and awareness would drop.

Save the tape and watch this roster play better next time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those of you being critical of Murray, have you actually looked at his stat line? Y'all act like its atrocious and outside of missing a shot or two too many and maybe 1 too many TOs its not a bad line, at all.

15 PT
    7-18 FG
    1-4 3p
    9 Reb
    6 Ast
    2 Stl (honestly thought he had more - definite bigger defensive impact than this)
    4 TO
    +2 +/-

I'd like him to score more efficiently, but right now you all need to understand he's the best off the dribble player on this team so he has to fill that role and he's probably going to strugle at times. DJM is not Tony Parker.
    He simply is an easy target for folks who are hyper focused on things he doesn’t do as great as their ideal version of what a PG is in their mind, ignoring all the other good things he does and things he’s improved upon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our shooters couldn’t shoot tonight. That and Jokic shutting down every run the Spur made. He was defended well and still made those silly looking shots. He’s MVP for a reason. “Best young Spur” Vassell didn’t show up tonight. Like I was saying, when he’s not feeling it shooting-wise, he doesn’t have a diverse enough game to do anything else yet. Yes, Murray made some bad decisions tonight but the people pointing to him as the root cause for this loss are simply wrong. Others were just as bad shooting-wise, and there’s not much more “set-up” you can do for your guys when they're not making their shots.
    I don't think anyone said he was the root cause. People just pointed out his bad decisions and fan-posters took it to heart and exaggerated their defense of him.

He made bad decisions as a PG that he can't make for the team to win. Wasn't anything deeper than that from what I saw people post. People are just sensitive tonight.

He's the "vet" among the young guys. He should be making better decisions. That's pretty logical and straight forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have put Primo out there. He's one of those "go 0-10 and still keep shooting" kinda people. Spurs were in "nice guy" mode tonight. I didn't like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Star power does make a difference. Especially when they're ball dominant distributors. He makes everyone around him so much better. Dudes a beast.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even with that, we were right there. I just want more fearlessness on offense. More of the guys at least pretending to pose a threat would have been the difference for us, but no one was willing to attack.

Yesh a couple of stretch the cutting and slashing stops and whoever has the ball just settle for mid range jumper instead of attacking the rim, I still remember Poeltl shooting a FT line floater.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small point, but what wtf is going on with Young? He's probably wondering if he should give a or not. "Am I staying or are you trading me?" No Thad, out of respect for you, we're waiting until you get so annoyed you complain, and then we either buy you out or trade you for a player with a disabling injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone said he was the root cause. People just pointed out his bad decisions and fan-posters took it to heart and exaggerated their defense of him.

He made bad decisions as a PG that he can't make for the team to win. Wasn't anything deeper than that from what I saw people post. People are just sensitive tonight.

He's the "vet" among the young guys. He should be making better decisions. That's pretty logical and straight forward.
    If he wasn’t the root cause in your mind, then why is nearly 100% of your 22 posts in this game thread complaining about his play? There was a more obvious issue tonight with the team (shooting) yet I don’t see any mention of that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was undecided earlier on whether TJ and Primo should play in G league regularly, now I hope that they do and demonstrate consistent ability to attack the rim and 3pts shooting so that they can be regular rotation players and replace 2 inconsistent guards that are on the regular rotation now.

Thread Information