Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah he did, stil a re ed thing to say
    In context maybe not, but at face value it's like he's saying he'll shoot a 3 if he has to but doesn't want to make it as often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq didn't want to take the time to become a good FT shooter. Two different things.
    Your sarcasm detector isn’t working tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In context maybe not, but at face value it's like he's saying he'll shoot a 3 if he has to but doesn't want to make it as often.
    Why wouldn’t he want to add it to his arsenal?

He sucked at 3s and that’s it, his 2 motion jump shot limited his range and accuracy from downtown

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

He sucked at 3s and that’s it, his 2 motion jump shot limited his range and accuracy from downtown
    yep

there are very few players that have been able to consistently hit high elevation turnaround/fadeaway/pullup 2pt shots, as well as 3s. mainly due to how different shooting forms cater to different ranges. usually if someone is consistent at the midrange game, they are streaky or rhythm shooters from 3, and vice versa.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq didn't want to take the time to become a good FT shooter. Two different things.
    Always heard his teammates say he practiced the out of his FT shooting, but

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always heard his teammates say he practiced the out of his FT shooting, but

Jeff Errors comes to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He wouldn't want to add it because They couldn't stop him from scoring closer. Why would he shoot from out there? Different mentality today. Adding a skill doesn't come without a time expense which detracts from other skills.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I think jordan would have been a very good (not great) three point shooter had he decide to concentrate on incorporating it more in his game. Back then, elite scorers didn’t need to do that. And it wasn’t a strategic approach by coaches and teams. Shooters like Reggie and Dale Ellis were one dimensional players and that’s pretty much mostly what they did. They weren’t asked to playmake, handle the ball, defend, rebound, orchestrate or manage tempo. They were on the court to shoot. Look at when Jordan did shoot more than once a game. The three seasons he attempted at least three threes a game, he shot 37%, 41%, 37% from three point range. No he wouldn’t have shot like Steph or Klay. But I could see him shooting similarly to James Harden or Damian Lillard, career 36-37% with a couple seasons getting over 40%.

It was really mostly about him not taking a lot of them in games, not practicing on them, and his teams/coaches not emphasizing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think jordan would have been a very good (not great) three point shooter had he decide to concentrate on incorporating it more in his game. Back then, elite scorers didn’t need to do that. And it wasn’t a strategic approach by coaches and teams. Shooters like Reggie and Dale Ellis were one dimensional players and that’s pretty much mostly what they did. They weren’t asked to playmake, handle the ball, defend, rebound, orchestrate or manage tempo. They were on the court to shoot. Look at when Jordan did shoot more than once a game. The three seasons he attempted at least three threes a game, he shot 37%, 41%, 37% from three point range. No he wouldn’t have shot like Steph or Klay. But I could see him shooting similarly to James Harden or Damian Lillard, career 36-37% with a couple seasons getting over 40%.

It was really mostly about him not taking a lot of them in games, not practicing on them, and his teams/coaches not emphasizing it.
    His 3 pt shooting percentage went up during the shortened 3 pt line era

He wasn’t a good 3 pt shooter and that’s that

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Its difficult to evaluate Thompson objectively because he has been overshadowed by Curry for his entire career. His rookie season was the only time where he was the #1 guy (since Curry was injured that year). We will probably never know his true ceiling. If someone like Reggie Miller can be a #1 option, then i dont see why Thompson cant do it. Can Thompson win a championship as a #1 guy? I doubt it. But he can probably get a team to the playoffs and make some noise.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Its difficult to evaluate Thompson objectively because he has been overshadowed by Curry for his entire career. His rookie season was the only time where he was the #1 guy (since Curry was injured that year). We will probably never know his true ceiling. If someone like Reggie Miller can be a #1 option, then i dont see why Thompson cant do it. Can Thompson win a championship as a #1 guy? I doubt it. But he can probably get a team to the playoffs and make some noise.
    I'd agree with this, mainly because klay has a couple underrated skills as an iso scorer, with a dribble pull-up and a very good postup game. his limited ball handling skills will hurt him against elite defenses though, definitely not a true #1 but still a solid player

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree with this, mainly because klay has a couple underrated skills as an iso scorer, with a dribble pull-up and a very good postup game. his limited ball handling skills will hurt him against elite defenses though, definitely not a true #1 but still a solid player
    Klay has also shown that he can step up his game when when the stakes are high. Some of his best performances were in playoff elimination games. This is something that Curry has not done. Curry wouldnt have any championship rings without Thompson. Thompson's problem is that he tends to coast through the regular season at times and let do Curry take the spotlight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay has also shown that he can step up his game when when the stakes are high. Some of his best performances were in playoff elimination games. This is something that Curry has not done. Curry wouldnt have any championship rings without Thompson. Thompson's problem is that he tends to coast through the regular season at times and let do Curry take the spotlight.
    yep

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    His 3 pt shooting percentage went up during the shortened 3 pt line era

He wasn’t a good 3 pt shooter and that’s that
    Not exactly false, but not completely true either.

One season he shot over 37% from three was before the line was shortened. Another season where he shot just under three attempts per game, he averaged over 35%. Also before the line was shorter. Not great percentages, but for the era, pretty good. Compare with other “shooting” guards of that era.

Danny Ainge 37.8%
    Byron Scott 37.0%
    Craig Ehlo 36.9%
    Dan Majerle 35.8%
    Joe Dumars 38.2%

Those were considered good threes point shooters in the 80s, early 90s. Not the best in the league. But good, even “very good” shooters. I think Jordan proved that if he took more than just one or so a game and actually put the three point shot into his game to game arsenal, he was capable of shooting somewhere in that range, 35-38%. In the league now, that’s pedestrian. Back then, he’d be a good three point shooter. Again, Larry Bird shot under 30% from three in four of his first five seasons in the NBA. Attempts / sample size had something to do with that.

Clearly, Jordan was not Steph or Klay as a shooter. He was not a “great” three point shooter. But suggesting he was not good or even bad seems overly harsh and based on a deceptive statistical narrative.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Spot on.

Basketball is a rhythm sport and you need an opportunity to get in a groove. That's why bench players like Vinnie Johnson always amazed the out of me. Coming in cold off the bench and catching fire so often and so quickly was remarkable, imho.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on.

Basketball is a rhythm sport and you need an opportunity to get in a groove. That's why bench players like Vinnie Johnson always amazed the out of me. Coming in cold off the bench and catching fire so often and so quickly was remarkable, imho.
    I remember reading some story about Steve Kerr (back when he was a player) sitting and chatting with an assistant coach, then the coach would say "GO!" and Kerr would have to get up, sprint to a spot at the three-point line to catch a pass and immediately shoot. The whole point was to practice shooting when cold because Kerr would be on the bench for most of the game and could be needed to hit a late three.

Or maybe it was late career Ray Allen? I forget the player but remember the overall story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading some story about Steve Kerr (back when he was a player) sitting and chatting with an assistant coach, then the coach would say "GO!" and Kerr would have to get up, sprint to a spot at the three-point line to catch a pass and immediately shoot. The whole point was to practice shooting when cold because Kerr would be on the bench for most of the game and could be needed to hit a late three.

Or maybe it was late career Ray Allen? I forget the player but remember the overall story.
    Matt Bonner used to make a sandwich before each one of his shots at practice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Klay isn't that guy to carry the team in a season but he's that guy to carry the offense. He'd need a really good PG and some front court help. There's only about 4 guys in the NBA who can take a team to the Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on.

Same upward ramp but maybe not as accurate off the bench was Manu. There's only one Microwave for a reason.

Thread Information