My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, well, well

Excel is the agency people should hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got no different coaching than any of the other players.
    What KobesAchilles said.

Get back with us Sniffy when Lonnie has started 151 of 152 games with zero accountability like Pet Bryn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, well, well

Right? But we know it’s a race thing......

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over Keldon signing with Klutch or buy into any Klutch anti-Spurs conspiracy theories. Keldon's signing happened after the Spurs didn't extend Lonnie, another Klutch client.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a lie. He got completely different coaching from Murray or Forbes or Belli or DDR or Gay or literally every other player on the Spurs. It’s not the getting benched part it’s the not playing him for 3 games part. Pop did that to nobody else and it ed with him. That’s why he got scared. Dude wasn’t getting benched for a quarter but whole games. That’s bad coaching. I’m not even a Pop hater but you have to sniff pretty strongly in order to think Pop did right by Lonnie
    I wasn’t specific enough. He wasn’t coached any harder than any of the other draftees.

It’s not about “doing right by Lonnie”, it’s about maximizing a players talent. Sometimes, that’s not pleasant. Ask Tony Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just realized I posted that in the wrong thread. D’oh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    westbrook as an example of a good defensive pg?
    How on earth can you argue that, look at his elite end game D on display here!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, well, well

Ha, I would say Excel is the agency every player should hire. I mean, if they can keep Bryn Forbes and Drew Eubanks on NBA teams, that is quite the accomplishment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie’s problem isn’t Pop, it’s Lonnie. Other players coached by Pop don’t freeze up or pass the ball away when they get a catch and shoot opportunity. He’s an almost completely passive player, which is a shame, because he has talent. I can’t see him on the roster next year, with Vassell basically beating him up and taking his lunch money/minutes as an unafraid 2-way player, and Primo looking like a better version.
    we must've been watching different teams, I guess. You're really telling me other Spurs players don't pass up C&S opportunities in favor of passing out of them, or driving -> kicking out, when it's literally been a basics of the Spurs' young core's playstyle for the last couple years? , you can catch the game tonight and watch Keldon be on that , too; and the stats back it up - Spurs have been a bottom-of-the-league 3pt shooting team for many seasons now, and this will be no exception, even with DeRozan gone.

But that's not what I was talking about. I absolutely think Pop's been a problem for Lonnie, not the single problem, but for certain a contribution. You seem to think, from your exchange with Kobes, that Lonnie got no different treatment than the rest of the players; to that I can say that you either weren't watching close enough, weren't paying attention, or aren't arguing in good faith with me. He has pretty much objectively been miscoached, benched for mistakes similar-role'd players get a way longer leash for (have you so quickly forgotten about the Beli-Patty-Forbes trio, huh...?), repeatedly DNP-CD'd in both rookie and sop re seasons (the most formative for most NBA players), and consistently was not given a clear role, function or opportunity on the team, eternally banished to the corner for C&S opportunities - that often didn't manifest, per design. And now you're surprised the guy isn't playing up to his talent level?

Lonnie literally got the least amount of playing minutes in his very first game after the Rockets game explosion. Least. On. The. Team. You can go check the boxscore, and all the boxscores for his DNP's, 5-minutes-per-game's, etcetera.

And you can go watch him be aggressive in college tape for the "born/daddy-coached-this-way" argument you displayed later. , his pre-draft profile literally states "Aggressively looks to score both in half court sets as well as in transition …". And yet, gets to the Spurs, NOTHING happens, supposedly - and two years later he's looking over his shoulder on every move, scared to drive, finish, shoot? Yeah, sure....

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lonnie was some Jordan-level talent that was neutered entirely by Pop. But you're being incredibly disingenuous here in favor of giving Pop leeway that he doesn't deserve, and which evidence disproves at every point.

The one thing I agree on: I don't see him on the team for much longer. I wasn't expecting the Spurs to draft yet another one, and an aggressive shooter at that. His niche is looking like it'll be perfectly filled by Primo as soon as next season, so him not getting extended was sad, but not surprising.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a lie. He got completely different coaching from Murray or Forbes or Belli or DDR or Gay or literally every other player on the Spurs. It’s not the getting benched part it’s the not playing him for 3 games part. Pop did that to nobody else and it ed with him. That’s why he got scared. Dude wasn’t getting benched for a quarter but whole games. That’s bad coaching. I’m not even a Pop hater but you have to sniff pretty strongly in order to think Pop did right by Lonnie
    I'll never forget two things regarding Lonnie and coaching: a game his sop re season where he was, quite literally, benched in the first 3 minutes of the game for missing a defensive rotation, only for Forbes to come into the game and miss consecutive rotations, without punishment, and with Lonnie never entering the game afterwards; and the very first game after his explosion against the Rockettes, his confidence at an all-time high... And Pop playing him the literal least minutes of any player, Forbes and Patty included.

I'll forever maintain that Lonnie was miscoached here, and his career has probably already been derailed due to it, even if he gets off SanAn next season. Hope he can blossom elsewhere, 'cause I've always liked the guy and follow him closer than most.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if one game broke Lonnie, he was never going to make it in the NBA anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never forget two things regarding Lonnie and coaching: a game his sop re season where he was, quite literally, benched in the first 3 minutes of the game for missing a defensive rotation, only for Forbes to come into the game and miss consecutive rotations, without punishment, and with Lonnie never entering the game afterwards; and the very first game after his explosion against the Rockettes, his confidence at an all-time high... And Pop playing him the literal least minutes of any player, Forbes and Patty included.

I'll forever maintain that Lonnie was miscoached here, and his career has probably already been derailed due to it, even if he gets off SanAn next season. Hope he can blossom elsewhere, 'cause I've always liked the guy and follow him closer than most.
    I think Pop has trouble seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to youth players. He understands that they are blank slates that need to be taught and their talent, bodies, and mind aren't that of a pro yet. This is a positive thing and it's also why he likes to overplay vets so much bc they've been in tough scenarios before, their minds are even keeled, and they understand things that the youth just don't. Like pacing yourself for instance. He brings the youth up slowly bc that's the way it has always worked in our system and we have seen good results with it. He doesn't want to overwhelm a 18 year old Primo.

At the same time though, he forgets that the same way you have to show a vet that you appreciate him with a play call or a shot, you also have to do that with the youth. Teaching Lonnie to stand in a corner and never get the ball while DDR, Gay, and LMA take midrange after midrange isn't going to do anything for Lonnie's development. And you can't tell Lonnie to be more aggressive when you take him out of the rotation for games on end. It's not the Lonnie getting benched for other ty defenders that got to me, it was Pop basically putting Lonnie in street clothes for the next 3 games for making a rotational mistake. I wouldn't do that to my son for instance when I teach him something. You didn't pick up your toys so no dinner for three days. Veteran players have mental weakness and fatigue. Demar has admitted as much. LMA complained about his touches (and the whole board here freaked out), but that's a natural response to have. Gay also complained about his play and Pop acquiesced to them but never did to Lonnie. He never said you know what, Lonnie hasn't shot the ball in 8 minutes, let me get him engaged on offense so that way he stteps up his engagement on defense. Let me call this play for Lonnie to get him a 3 so that shows we have confidence in him to make the shot. Let me get the ball out early in transition every now and then instead of playing slow paced half court basketball. And that's the issue I have with Pop. he knows better than to do this with the Vets but does it to Lonnie.

I also think this was a weakness of not having a Tony or a Manu on our team. Bc Pop never really had to do that before. Avery was always setting up people and pass first. Tony grew up into a very fine point guard at setting up people in either hockey assists or actual assists and Manu has the greatest court vision ever for a SG. They would've naturally gotten Lonnie involved I think

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't believe we picked this guy over Sengun lmao. Maybe Alpy wasn't "over himself" enough yet lolol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't believe we picked this guy over Sengun lmao. Maybe Alpy wasn't "over himself" enough yet lolol
    this observation really fits your user name, especially within the context of this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if one game broke Lonnie, he was never going to make it in the NBA anyway.
    No one said one game, my guy. I don't know how casually or not you follow the Spurs, but it was absolutely an ongoing, literally years-long tendencies, since it spun all the way from his rookie season's banishing to Austin all the way to this season, when damage was/is already done.

But ok. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Boston Jr. also from SEC at Kentucky, #51 overall pick getting minutes and contributing to the Clippers win over the Spurs.
    Meanwhile Grandpa Power Trip still trotting out Bryn Forms while Primo gets zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ha, I would say Excel is the agency every player should hire. I mean, if they can keep Bryn Forbes and Drew Eubanks on NBA teams, that is quite the accomplishment.
    Also got white paid

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bartelstein is the guy who got Zach Collins his joke deal, McDermott's nonsense, and DEMARRE CARROLL his bomb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bartelstein consistently gets great deals for his players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last night was the first time where i thought it would have been nice to get primo out there just to see if we could get any kind of offense at all. but pop is never going to change his mindset about how younger players are to be developed. he inherited that from larry brown and brown was even worse than pop when it came to rookies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Pop sure is showin em.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Primo be with the big squad again anytime soon?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo getting substantial minutes in the g league and being the go to scorer>>>>>>playing spot minutes in a blowout in the big league.

Spurstalk posters whined about Pop not giving the young guys any minutes and he finally gives the young guys minutes and now you want a new young guy to eat into their minutes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one said one game, my guy. I don't know how casually or not you follow the Spurs, but it was absolutely an ongoing, literally years-long tendencies, since it spun all the way from his rookie season's banishing to Austin all the way to this season, when damage was/is already done.

But ok. .
    Lonnie is a jag fam. Pop isn't a miracle worker. Either you got it or you don't and Lonnie just don't got it.

Thread Information