Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs definitely have to clean house on their coaching staff. They're light years behind other teams, especially when it comes to three point shooting.
    Really? Please stop posting

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst might be subjective, especially if the subject is g-league coaching

But the Spurs coaching staff has to be the least experienced bench of assistants in a long, long time since, well, the 19-20 Spurs I think had a combined 1 year front row experience, though Tim Duncan brought his own high level of game experience. I don't think Hammon even moved to the front row until 18-19, because at least on bkref it still shows Messina, Udoka and Borrego for the 2 years before.

That's a combined front row bench experience between her, Johnson, and Nielsen a combined total of 4 seasons of front row coaching experience coming into this season. More obviously if you want to count second row and intern experience but not much. It's not like they have a ton of coaching experience outside of the NBA either.

That is a shocking amount of inexperience. And it's been the trend since Messina and Udoka took off.

Even giving them their intern and second row years it's still the least experienced front row assistants in the league, and not just NBA experience, any coaching experience.

From perusing Basketball Reference many teams have 1 or more assistant that by themselves have more experience than the Spurs assistants combined, and usually also has years of head coaching experience on top of that in either the NBA, college, international or even high school. Nielsen spent 1 year coaching in Austin, Hammon and Johnson have no head coaching experience other than summer league stints.

The closest in terms of inexperience might be Boston, though I think there is a combined 7 years of college head coaching there.

Arguably the 13-14 Spurs were similarly lacking in experience with Bud and Brown taking head coaching jobs in the summer and Udoka only having 1 year of experience and Marks with 0 but Boylen had been coaching forever, over a decade in the NBA as an assistant and 4 years head coaching in college at Utah plus years as a college assistant.

Have the Spurs been well served by having such inexperience on the bench next to Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs been well served by having such inexperience on the bench next to Pop?
    Does it matter as far as game strategy and outcomes who Grandpa Control Freak has next to him? Literally no sane coach in the NBA would pair Bryn Bryn and Patty as their lockdown perimeter D pair.
    Seems his MO is to have Yes Men around him regardless.

Remember the video of Timmy Dunks and Becky looking at what appeared to be a lineup card and having a "WTF is he doing?" type conversation.
    Pop doesn't appear to listen to any of his assistants anyways.
    2014 was coached by Timmy Dunks. I won't be convinced otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noticed that no one bumped this for the game last night. 12 points, 3-9 shooting 0 assists, 5 TOs.

Yeah, he’s ready…
    impossible to develop NBA players in the NBA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it matter as far as game strategy and outcomes who Grandpa Control Freak has next to him? Literally no sane coach in the NBA would pair Bryn Bryn and Patty as their lockdown perimeter D pair.

Remember the video of Timmy Dunks and Becky looking at what appeared to be a lineup card and having a "WTF is he doing?" type conversation.
    I think I'm starting to feel bad for Hammon, should have gotten off this sinking ship while she could, even if it was for another assistant job. Messina, Udoka, Hardy, even Duncan, they saw this anic sinking and breaking apart.

I don't think she'll be lining up too many interviews as the lead assistant for a 20 win team.

Especially when she's still not designated as the lead assistant. Still has to do postgame radio hits like the other nobody coaches. Lead assistant does the pregame, 2nd and 3rd rotate the postgame, at least that's how it used to be.

How's it going to look for her resume when on a 20 win team when Pop gets tossed against whatever team that Mitch Johnson takes over because he scouted OKC that week?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody see that Giddey stat, the one where he became one of only 3 players in history to get 100 rebounds and 100 assists in his first 20 games with Lebron and LaMelo?

Shame on OKC for playing him minutes in the NBA on a lottery team. Doesn't Presti realize the damage he can do to his young player if he doesn't hone his craft against g-league scrubs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody see that Giddey stat, the one where he became one of only 3 players in history to get 100 rebounds and 100 assists in his first 20 games with Lebron and LaMelo?

Shame on OKC for playing him minutes in the NBA on a lottery team. Doesn't Presti realize the damage he can do to his young player if he doesn't hone his craft against g-league scrubs?
    Yeah, it's inexcusable. I posted the same thing in this thread 4 weeks ago when Giddey was outperforming expectations - that's only continued and on a better team than the Spurs as well. It's absolutely ing stupid to not be letting him play, it doesn't need to be a lot, just 15mpg would be enough...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor primo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, but his eFG% is an awful 45%. His TS% is 46.5. He’s on a ty team, so no one cares, but if he weren’t, teams would just back off and force him to shoot that horrible jumper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's inexcusable. I posted the same thing in this thread 4 weeks ago when Giddey was outperforming expectations - that's only continued and on a better team than the Spurs as well. It's absolutely ing stupid to not be letting him play, it doesn't need to be a lot, just 15mpg would be enough...
    15-20 would be ideal. Jock also 15-20. Weiskamp 10-15.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pops new combo Bryn and Jones. lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop knows what the he is doing…

just look at how Derrick White is taking over the nba now…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primos time will come, stop trying to rush his development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primos time will come, stop trying to rush his development.
    But why can't we let him develop with and against NBA players?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will get his time probably on the back half of the season.....it’s really not a big deal as most are making it. Very few athletes come in pro ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because he’s two years away from being two years away. That’s their story and they’re sticking to it.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but his eFG% is an awful 45%. His TS% is 46.5. He’s on a ty team, so no one cares, but if he weren’t, teams would just back off and force him to shoot that horrible jumper.
    He’s on a team that’s better than the Spurs. And he’s getting real experience, not this jv

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to building his game, his confidence needs to be built up as well. He’s not even nineteen yet, and had minimal college playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s on a team that’s better than the Spurs. And he’s getting real experience, not this jv
    OKC can’t even tank right. Giddey is showing no improvement in any of his areas of weakness. His FG% is 40, his 3G% is 28, and his FT% is 67.

Sactramento has developed players the way you want the Spurs to for over a decade. Almost all of them have been failures with two exceptions, both of which were top 5 picks from KY, Boogie and Fox. Tyreke Evans averaged 20/5/5 and was ROY. He was traded at the end of his rookie contract, bounced around, and was out of the league after year 10, at the age of 29.

His total win shares were 28.4 and his BPM was 0.8. He’s the best case Sacto failure.

Late first round pick WSs who didn’t make a career with SA.

Kyle Anderson pick #30 24.1 WS
    Cory Joseph pick #29 26.7 WS
    George Hill pick #26 67.9 WS
    Splitter pick #28 25.3 WS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Primo gets some minutes tonight but knowing Pop Forbes is going to end up getting all the minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if you smeeeeeeellllllll !! what ass is cooking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC can’t even tank right. Giddey is showing no improvement in any of his areas of weakness. His FG% is 40, his 3G% is 28, and his FT% is 67.

Sactramento has developed players the way you want the Spurs to for over a decade. Almost all of them have been failures with two exceptions, both of which were top 5 picks from KY, Boogie and Fox. Tyreke Evans averaged 20/5/5 and was ROY. He was traded at the end of his rookie contract, bounced around, and was out of the league after year 10, at the age of 29.

His total win shares were 28.4 and his BPM was 0.8. He’s the best case Sacto failure.

Don’t waste your time...it’s futile!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Primo gets some minutes tonight but knowing Pop Forbes is going to end up getting all the minutes.
    Forbes played 22.55 magnificent minutes, 2pts. 0-5 from 3, 1 reb, 1 TO, -14

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What’s the way I want to? In the NBA rather than the g league? If that’s the case, there are a ton of examples of teams playing their lottery picks in the nba. No need to cherry pick the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

Like I’ve said before, the g league is good for developing role players. The Spurs don’t need role players. They need stars. Star players don’t become stars by playing in the g league.

Thread Information