Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the first priority has to be improving them lose handles, right? So I'm guessing that he'll play as full time PG down there, much like he did in SL.

This is the only reason why it makes sense to send him down to G League. I mean it's obvious to a genital wart that Primo is an upgrade on Forbes in that current role. But the problem is that he wouldn't get the reps he needs as a main ball handler on the Spurs. He'd essentially play a similar role to the one played in Bama.
    To answer your question - absolutely.

Needs to work on handles and work hard 9n attacking and finishing on fast breaks and full court.

He is super comfortable and highly effective 8n a half court setting. On the break he needs work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people think you need a bunch of minutes to develop? I keep seeing people talk about how Primo needs to go to the d-league and play 30 minutes to learn all these one-on-one moves, and I can't help thinking "Why is this the logic with every ing pic the team makes?" Primo doesn't actually need to know how to be a PG right now, given that the Spurs have three pretty good ones and multiple other ball-dominant players. He can learn that next year or later. This isn't the only time to develop him. By playing a smaller role with the Spurs as a shooter and energy player, he can learn to do things he won't have as much opportunity to learn in practices or later on once he gets a bigger role with the real team. He can be a shooter and then fill out over the next couple of years and learn to drive and finish with contact or any of that stuff.

It's powerful sniffery to think that the Spurs way of developing players is necessarily the best way just because they keep doing it. They aren't the only team that drafts guys, and plenty of clubs develop players with other methods. All this is suggesting is that the Spurs don't have nuanced developmental plans. They seem to assume that everyone they draft has the same strengths and weaknesses, and that the same solutions work for all of them. It's dumb. You can give the guy regular-season, big-club run AND THEN assign him to the d-league once you get a sense of what he can do on the court, if you need to. Don't just assume you have to do it. Back when the Spurs have a contending rotation year and and year out, they didn't have the minutes to give to developmental guys. You really could lock a dude on the Toros for most of the year, confident that you weren't going to need him. Pop not seeming to realize that is a flaw.

Also, Pop controls the rotation, not "the powers that be" or whatever. If he wanted to carve out a 12-18 MPG role for Primo, he could it by marking it on his rotation chart. He doesn't have to play Murray, White and Johnson a lot of minutes. The team isn't contender, so maximizing their minutes isn't critical. It's just a bull excuse to think Primo can't develop in SA and has to go to Austin for his own good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is 37th! in total minutes played by a rookie this year lmao. You'd think this team would be fighting for a Championship using the logic of sending their Lottery pick to the G League while playing on a losing rebuilding team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    G league is probably best for athletes who need basic skill development like Jonathan Simmons or Ian.

Guys who have skills might get in better shape, but how much more skill they'll get compared to playing reserve minutes in the NBA ... Ehhhh.

Derrick White was clearly no worse then the fourth best guard on the team if not third while he was a rookie in the g-league. And he isn't much better skill wise, still the same mediocre shooter. His year was more or less wasted, and don't always believe players when they say they were better off to be in the g-league. They're not stupid, they know they can't come out and say they wasted their time there and should have been playing all along and start controversy.

Kyle Anderson didn't gain that much.

Dejounte made a lot more progress while playing in the NBA and in the summers since than what was apparent in the g-league.

Keldon did the same hustle in the g-league he did as a rookie in real games.

Did Samanic get better skill wise? He improved his body, but was still a bad shooter and turnover machine with questionable at ude.

And Primo is not an athlete, or at least looked like a subpar one to me. He has NBA skills already, this team is a lottery team, might as well develop him against NBA talent.

If they had drafted an athlete needing skill development like Garuba or Kai Jones or Greg then I could see the g-league making sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs just need dudes who can play. They gotta run so hard they get tired. Forbes in his position should eat some minutes. Primo is next man up. The rest of the team needs him to eat minutes since Forbes cannot cause Forbes sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or trey needs some run

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo was proving that he is a potential obstacle to the Spurs getting a top 5 draft pick. Good move by Pop.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has pop ever had a “rookie of the year” on his team?

Primo’s agent should work for his client and bug the out of the front office tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people think you need a bunch of minutes to develop? I keep seeing people talk about how Primo needs to go to the d-league and play 30 minutes to learn all these one-on-one moves, and I can't help thinking "Why is this the logic with every ing pic the team makes?" Primo doesn't actually need to know how to be a PG right now, given that the Spurs have three pretty good ones and multiple other ball-dominant players. He can learn that next year or later. This isn't the only time to develop him. By playing a smaller role with the Spurs as a shooter and energy player, he can learn to do things he won't have as much opportunity to learn in practices or later on once he gets a bigger role with the real team. He can be a shooter and then fill out over the next couple of years and learn to drive and finish with contact or any of that stuff.

It's powerful sniffery to think that the Spurs way of developing players is necessarily the best way just because they keep doing it. They aren't the only team that drafts guys, and plenty of clubs develop players with other methods. All this is suggesting is that the Spurs don't have nuanced developmental plans. They seem to assume that everyone they draft has the same strengths and weaknesses, and that the same solutions work for all of them. It's dumb. You can give the guy regular-season, big-club run AND THEN assign him to the d-league once you get a sense of what he can do on the court, if you need to. Don't just assume you have to do it. Back when the Spurs have a contending rotation year and and year out, they didn't have the minutes to give to developmental guys. You really could lock a dude on the Toros for most of the year, confident that you weren't going to need him. Pop not seeming to realize that is a flaw.

Also, Pop controls the rotation, not "the powers that be" or whatever. If he wanted to carve out a 12-18 MPG role for Primo, he could it by marking it on his rotation chart. He doesn't have to play Murray, White and Johnson a lot of minutes. The team isn't contender, so maximizing their minutes isn't critical. It's just a bull excuse to think Primo can't develop in SA and has to go to Austin for his own good.
    but pop knows better than you so stop questioning him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is pretty obtuse. The sniffer position is that whatever happens to primo is fine. The and moan position is that forbes is the holocaust and primo is jesus. Just let the spurs have the benefit of the doubt with their plans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So disrespectful for a lottery pick...

How many top players in the NBA had to go to G league in NBA history?

I guess its a crazy thought that most of these good players got to play their rookie season on the team that drafted them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s perfect to get playing time. Plus less Covid protocol should see him in Spurs jerseys in some home games. I agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And people are getting excited at us tanking for another lottery pick when we all well know that Pop will bury him in the G league. I guess we will see more Primo in about 3 years if lucky

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would had sent Michael Jordan to the G-League. Too y and needs to get over himself.
    No doubt about that at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty obtuse. The sniffer position is that whatever happens to primo is fine. The and moan position is that forbes is the holocaust and primo is jesus. Just let the spurs have the benefit of the doubt with their plans.
    forbes is a terrible player, but this wasnt going to be a winning team anyway, so i dont think anyone is concerned about him costing us in the standings, or that primo getting minutes would make the team a lot better. its just a wasted opportunity to get him experience against big leaguers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people here tryin to spin Flopovich's "get over yourself" approach all kind of ways to make him seem like a genius

this is truly hilarious

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per long time goal, this the perfect situation for primo. he can go to the G-league, and actually develop parts of his games that needs development (Dribbling), plus be the main focus (pg?) on opffense in the g leagues.
    This isn't getting minutes at the nba level, it's about development! Primo is alot advanced compared to other guys, but there is still alot for him to learn and develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think a trade is highly likely this deadline and Primo will gdt plenty of playing time because spurs we'll be way out of the playoff hunt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really care about Forbes. I think he creates a higher floor for the offense and am not actually worried about his shooting. So I'm not too hurt that he's playing, even though I would like Pop to clear up the rotation rather than playing 12 guys.

Anyways, the sniffer position isn't "Let the Spurs do things their way", because the Spurs aren't asking us what to do. They're going to do things their way no matter how we feel. What happens with Primo happens, but we can certainly have opinions on what should happen and can discuss the effects of whatever happens happening. The sniffer position is "Whatever happens with Primo is the right thing because the Spurs develop players the right way." That's obviously a position that can be argued against much more directly, and I've already done that. There's nothing obtuse about pointing out potential flaws in the Spurs thinking and in the attempts to justify that thinking by creating false dilemmas to leave the only logical option as the Spurs' decided path. I'm not saying you can't trust the Spurs or that you shouldn't, but I am saying the reasons people are giving for why they do so are sus AF and pretty easily debunkable.

I think there's a lot of reasons to question the Spurs' approach and have laid out those reasons. That doesn't have to convince anyone to lose faith or whatever, but I do think people should think more critically about the Spurs if they want to evaluate the team, because there's a ton to critique, even if they're still good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sending him to Austin is pointless. The Spurs are a g-league team.

This team needs shooting and he can shoot. Unless they’re worried about winning too many games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. Hopefully primo blows up and forces his way back on the active roster. Better some playing time then none I guess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo was proving that he is a potential obstacle to the Spurs getting a top 5 draft pick. Good move by Pop.
    LMAO team is trying to tank compe vely tho

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. Hopefully primo blows up and forces his way back on the active roster. Better some playing time then none I guess
    This is pretty much what I am hoping for. All he has to do is perform north on I-35 and he will find himself back on the main squad.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2-3 years he'll maybe be good enough to get us a 2nd round pick.

Whoever is responsible for scouting and drafting players should have been fired long ago. This is like a big joke. Its like they dont want the rookies to be good. Such a re ed franchise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love primo but hes not ready for ball handing duties against nba players.

Nothing wrong with some seasoning and experience in the d league. Patience...... the vast majority of posters on here want to tank.... so why rush primo?

If he learns quickly and becomes a serviceable ball handle or just tears up the league then bring him up for the second half of the season.

I'm on board with the strategy.
    Yep totally agree with ya one thing I always want from our high draft picks is to play as much PG duties as possible- So many of today’s kids have terrible handles so nip that quick as it will help them in the long run and I still say that if Vassell has spent time in G League he would be a much better product but alas Covid ed that up.

Another concern I don’t know if it’s valid but him being so young and his growth plates not fused doesn’t that raise his risk of injury if he plays a lot of games and minutes.

Thread Information