Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is 37th! in total minutes played by a rookie this year lmao. You'd think this team would be fighting for a Championship using the logic of sending their Lottery pick to the G League while playing on a losing rebuilding team.
    Exactly! I just don't get some people here, acting like we are in a championship mix and that there is no room for Primo to learn from real NBA compe ion. Other rookies are learning from real NBA compe ion and are improving, gaining confidence. While Spurs rookie who showed he can ball even on limited minutes is rewarded with DNP and sent to DLeague. Imagine a player who played really well on their last outing, can't wait for the next game only to get DNP. Pop needs to retire!

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playprimo

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They dont play their 1st game for another week. Meanwhile everyone drafted in his range is playing.

Stop defending this. Its beyond indefensible.
    I don't like it, don't get me wrong. But I see the logic. Pop is still trying to win games at this point.

Once it becomes clear (to Pop) that the playoffs are out of reach he could do the logical thing and call up Primo. That should happen before the end of the G-League season.

Of course Pop might not do that and just leave Primo in Austin all year. I wouldn't approve of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throwing Primo on the floor during the 4th quarter of this game would have been worth 2 months of G-league experience, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    They dont play their 1st game for another week. Meanwhile everyone drafted in his range is playing.

Stop defending this. Its beyond indefensible.
    Yup. You can't even use the age excuse seeing as Sengun is only 5 months older than Primo and Houston is still able to give him playing time. Are we really supposed to believe this 1-4 Spurs team is so stacked with talent that they can't find minutes for a rookie?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. You can't even use the age excuse seeing as Sengun is only 5 months older than Primo and Houston is still able to give him playing time. Are we really supposed to believe this 1-4 Spurs team is so stacked with talent that they can't find minutes for a rookie?
    Certainly what pop and Ty Jaeger want you to swallow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a knock on Primo, as I'm on record for saying Pop is ing up by sending Josh to Austin, but for those of us that were high on Sengun, behold:

https://twitter.com/DraftDummies/sta...301401096?s=19
    Yep, Sengun can play ball... That was, is and will be ing obvious. Meanwhile we are playing undersized at the 4, and getting like 3 rbs/game from the PF spot...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record, by the by, I expected Primo to be in the G-league, and I have no problems with it. To be worth the draft slot, the FO has to expect him to develop to his fullest potential - a first option, offense initiating wing (pretty much the most valuable archetype in the association). He will not get minutes as a first option guy on this years spurs, like it or not. We have to many young vets who will eat before he gets a turn (DJ, White, Keldon, Vassel, Lonnie...). To get reps where he can learn to do that (be a first option, offense initiating wing), the only option is the G-League. Let him play 35 minutes a night in the role he needs to learn...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is why senior citizens in the league should not be coaches. Guys like Larry Brown and Popovich don't really like playing young players. Once we move on from Popovich in 4 or 5 years, there will be an instant change.. That's what I'm looking forward to.
    This is not facetious and in fact is more likely than him exiting after win 26. I don't he's got anything else other than this gig and he'll have to be horizontal to leave it. Hopefully Primo will pan out to me offered a near max at the end of coache's term

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he only gets minutes if pop knows the season is over, or when he reaches whatever win record pop is aiming for b4 he retires...

but fck that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo suave will return. No way in he spends more then the rest of the calendar year in prison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the many problems with sending him to the g league is that some players are made better by the talent around them... He may fit perfectly with our roster, but look like a total dud in the less talented g- league filled with OTHER guys who are playing for a contract... It's not like those guys are like "yeah, I'll do my best to make Primo look good and develop"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. I was Sengun or bust. I'm liking Primo, but drafting Sengun and not wasting time on Zac Collins would have been a good what if.
    Agree, but I think our views will be different in 2 years. I still really like the Turk, but I can see the theory behind Primo at 12 now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe tre jones has improved a little -

but Primo is doing as well or better and it didnt take him three ing years!

tre jones took three years to even get to "scrub" level
    Tre Jones IS a second rounder, and this is his second season, not his fourth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo in the g-league saves him from the losing culture of the big team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re-watch the 4th qtr and ot and then tell me how many players played during that time
    Your rotation isn’t one quarter, it’s the game. . Every team has a closing lineup, Einstein.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo in the g-league saves him from the losing culture of the big team
    True to this.

Just watch tape of Timmy Tony Manu Spurs and/or any other great team of recent years and put that winning mentality in your brain. Make losing unacceptable. That’s the kind of mentality a star needs to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile Grizzlies playing Ziaire Williams solid minutes off their bench and I cannot say he came in readier to play than Primo.Shaky jumper and so thin that a solid 2 years in the Gleague would have been Pop's prescription had he been drafted by the Spurs.

Hopefully this Gleague assignment ends as soon as Pop has gotten through to him to get over himself and all that humble pie he likes to start rooks with. Does anyone venture a guess at how long is this assignment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool with it if it's for 5 or so games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to this board we should just start Primo and play him 40 minutes a night. why not? sink or swim.... right?

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    silly spurstlakers

it's a smart move to play Primo as the main ballhandler as much as possible in the G League. When the coaches feel he's learned all he can learn from G League and/or can contribute meaningful minutes to SAS, he'll move up and into the regular rotation.

another move might be to put him in the regular rotation already in SAS, but as others have pointed out we have a lot of young guys who are playing for their next contract and need to eat

relax and enjoy the tank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    silly spurstlakers

it's a smart move to play Primo as the main ballhandler as much as possible in the G League. When the coaches feel he's learned all he can learn from G League and/or can contribute meaningful minutes to SAS, he'll move up and into the regular rotation.

another move might be to put him in the regular rotation already in SAS, but as others have pointed out we have a lot of young guys who are playing for their next contract and need to eat

relax and enjoy the tank
    SpursTalk: We need to tank!
    Also SpursTalk: OMG,why are we sending our top 10 pick to the gleague!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't understand is why the Spurs seem to think that their players need to play heavy minutes as focal points to learn. Being the clear best player on a team has advantages and disadvantages. Primo will very likely not be the best player on the Spurs when/if he gets a regular role with them. So a lot of time he's going to spend isn't really going to be used and may never really end up being helpful. It's much harder to learn things like moving off the ball and the timing of catch-and-shoot jumpers if you're always dominating the ball, and I think that is evident in how the young Spurs have played.

Funnily enough, one of the more noted Spurs development attributions, Danny Green, got most of his d-league burn with RGV where he wasn't asked to be the main ball-handler and got to play off Jeremy Lin instead. That allowed him to work on actual NBA skills. When he came to the Spurs, Pop tried to play Green at point, and that obviously didn't work. Danny had a lot of rudimentary skills like off-dribble pull-ups and slashes that never really became part of his game. If he'd spent a year focusing on those things rather than on refining what he did well into an NBA-level skill-set, then he'd've probably been out of the league a decade ago.

In that same way, I think if Murray had focused on shooting threes early in his career, he'd be a highly coveted three-and-D player like Green or Covington who was also starting to break out a floor game that suggested a higher ceiling rather than a guard whose offensive impact doesn't match his eye-test skills. That's not all on the coaches, as I think Murray's temperament made him predisposed to this style of play, but given how the team has approached developing all of their other prospects, I don't think he had to try very hard to convince them to put him on a star development track in lieu of role-playing 101.

I like Primo and think he has potential to be an offensive focal point. But I don't think he needs to train to be one now in order to get on the floor. He already seems to have an NBA body, an adequate BBIQ and skills that can make him useful on the floor. I think he could be a plus for the team right away, even though I am not one who considers him a clear star. My point is that even in fewer minutes, playing real games in a role he'll be playing with his actual teammates will do more to make Primo a contributor than would learning skills he's either going to have to shelve when he plays in real games or have them conflict with those of his teammates. Otherwise, there's a legit chance that next year, Josh is yet another guy running around the team without a sense of flow who makes flashy plays but gunks up the offense with poor spacing and awareness. And whichever guard the team drafts next year will be in the d-league while folks here defend it by saying that guard "needs to play heavy minutes as a ball-handler to grow and won't get those minutes with the big club".

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a lot of speculation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a lot of speculation
    There's not much speculation in there outside of wondering about if Murray could've been an elite role-player had he focused on shooting and that Green not focusing on becoming an elite shooter would've jeopardized his already long odds to make it in the league. I don't see those are huge leaps, especially the second one. The entire thread is assuming Primo's going to the d-league to be a high-minute focal point. I guess you could argue me taking that assumption is speculation, but my guess is you also believe in that speculation.

Thread Information