Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not like him playing for the big team is going to make us come close to being in the playoffs. Let’s see how he does in G League he will probably be brought up for a lot of games with the big team as long as they have a plan for him I am fine with it.

Either way this team desperately needs talent and as the last few years have shown we suck at getting big free agents. So only way we getting back to the dance is landing some top 10 first round picks and hoping they hit on the guys they pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the takes in this thread are ridiculous Like how far do y'all stick y'all noses up Pop's ass? This guy Primo had the best defensive posession against Middleton in the entire game against the Bucks and has multiple moves in his scoring arsenal. Why is he supposed to go to the G-League to learn Pop's overrated plays that he ain't calling this season anyway because as he says: He just lets the team go and lets them figure it out?

Defense comes first and the best way to learn that is to play in NBA games period. This kid will dominate in the G-League with ease

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 strawmen in one post. great work.

no, forbes is not being developed now. but Primo could be given those same minutes and use that time to develop.

and no, we're not trying to win now. which is why this season creates a perfect opportunity for guys to be given minutes and get through some growing pains. Tre Jones as well.

That you think they are strawmen indicate you should not write your own arguments.

Primo is being developed; Forbes is not. That is why things are the way they are. I thought the point was obvious but it eluded you.

Your central argument that you bleet ad nauseum is that Primo could replace Forbes' minutes. That is trying to win because you are hoping that Primo can do better. Your hoping that Primo can come in and help us now.

My argument is that you don't know about player development and that Popovich has a decades long history of developing young players doing these very same things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the takes in this thread are ridiculous Like how far do y'all stick y'all noses up Pop's ass? This guy Primo had the best defensive posession against Middleton in the entire game against the Bucks and has multiple moves in his scoring arsenal. Why is he supposed to go to the G-League to learn Pop's overrated plays that he ain't calling this season anyway because as he says: He just lets the team go and lets them figure it out?

Defense comes first and the best way to learn that is to play in NBA games period. This kid will dominate in the G-League with ease
    There is only one real argument in all that garbage and its an anecdote.

Nice job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he plays well in the G-League and picks up the plays quickly.

it’s gonna be sad/funny if he plays bad in the G-league because it’s gonna be interesting seeing a lot of folks on this site spin the narrative quickly.

I'm hoping he plays well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That you think they are strawmen indicate you should not write your own arguments.

Primo is being developed; Forbes is not. That is why things are the way they are. I thought the point was obvious but it eluded you.
    this is not a point, though. my concern isn't whether forbes is "getting developed." its that he is getting minutes which, if given to primo, could go toward his development. its hysterical that you think this is a point.

its as though if the spurs gave Terry Porter 100% of the point guard minutes in 2001 instead of giving a bunch to Tony Parker, and i said "hey, Parker could use some of those minutes for development" and your retort was "lol you think Porter is being developed???"

its nonsensical

Your central argument that you bleet ad nauseum is that Primo could replace Forbes' minutes. That is trying to win because you are hoping that Primo can do better. Your hoping that Primo can come in and help us now.
    thats probably an added benefit. and forbes' minutes are the easy ones to pick at because they're

a) being used by an awful player (so there's not exactly a high bar for competence) and;
    b) NOT being used to develop players when thats what the goal of this season should be

My argument is that you don't know about player development and that Popovich has a decades long history of developing young players doing these very same things.

you shouldnt be able to criticize anything pop does including game management and rotations because he has a track record of winning nba championships and you dont. neener neener

name anything you think we should be allowed to criticize pop for and the above-retort would be equally (stupidly) applicable

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would like for him to get minutes outside of garbage time and seeing what he can do.

Instead of being negative about the decision I was thinking of the positives that Primo could benefit from with getting heavy minutes in the G league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context on Pop playing Parker or Kawhi as rookies

Parker only got a chance because Pop hated Antonio Daniels and never wanted him. Daniels was a play to keep Duncan happy on his first deal with one of his few friends in the league. There were no other viable point guard options with Avery Johnson gone. Pop had it in for AD so bad he traded him away for an about to retire third stringer Kerr.

Kawhi got time because Pop hated Jefferson for making Pop take time away from his summer off to do remedial drills. People forget that Jefferson was benched for like a 10 game stretch his first year. Pop was very disappointed in him.

And I don't get people acting like George Hill was a rookie success story. Don't you remember, "These playoffs aren't for George"? Out of the rotation to start the playoffs, and when he finally played he made Pop look so bad that Pop took to overcompensating whenever he talked about him, how he was soooo totally his favorite player and he loved him so much.

If Primo plays this year it will be because of injury or Pop not having any favorites to stand in the way. Good news is that Pop doesn't like Lonnie. But he still loves Forbes. And despite Forbes' low minutes and bad shooting so far, he's going to have months of opportunities to get some games with positive shooting and decent minutes before Primo is back for the Rodeo Road Trip. And if McDermott misses time there's more chances for Forbes to look like what passes as 'good'. As long as he's healthy, why would Pop ever turn to Primo?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context on Pop playing Parker or Kawhi as rookies

Parker only got a chance because Pop hated Antonio Daniels and never wanted him. Daniels was a play to keep Duncan happy on his first deal with one of his few friends in the league. There were no other viable point guard options with Avery Johnson gone. Pop had it in for AD so bad he traded him away for an about to retire third stringer Kerr.

Kawhi got time because Pop hated Jefferson for making Pop take time away from his summer off to do remedial drills. People forget that Jefferson was benched for like a 10 game stretch his first year. Pop was very disappointed in him.

And I don't get people acting like George Hill was a rookie success story. Don't you remember, "These playoffs aren't for George"? Out of the rotation to start the playoffs, and when he finally played he made Pop look so bad that Pop took to overcompensating whenever he talked about him, how he was soooo totally his favorite player and he loved him so much.

If Primo plays this year it will be because of injury or Pop not having any favorites to stand in the way. Good news is that Pop doesn't like Lonnie. But he still loves Forbes. And despite Forbes' low minutes and bad shooting so far, he's going to have months of opportunities to get some games with positive shooting and decent minutes before Primo is back for the Rodeo Road Trip. And if McDermott misses time there's more chances for Forbes to look like what passes as 'good'. As long as he's healthy, why would Pop ever turn to Primo?
    yeah. the problem is pop doesnt hate forbes.

you took the roundabout way to get there, but you got there

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn’t matter. It would be nice, but Kyle Anderson was a gleague standout. So was Jarron Blossomgame. He needs to be developed.
    Good point.

too late

bryn forbes has already played 33 minutes this season
    Lol I realized I was full of when I re-remembered for the fifth time that he probably can't be any worse than Bryn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a bad move. Primo should be a freshman in college. He doesn't have a man's body like Lebron. And he isn't that naturally talented. He'll be in the G-League kind of like Jalen Green was when he opted to skip college and play in the G-League and became the number 2 pick overall. Let him get minutes and when he gets more familiar with the offense, then he can join the Spurs later in the season when it is clear they are out of the playoff hunt and he can get NBA minutes. He is not going to contribute to winning and it will ease his rookie season to get a G-League season under his belt to prepare him for the physicality of the NBA. I won't be surprised, if at his age, he doesn't dominate the G-League.
    If the Spurs drafted Jalen Green, Pop would have sent his ass right back to the G League this year. It's a one-size fits all approach for this coaching staff and FO.

Lazy and unimaginative, par for the course for how they've run shop since Kawhi shook them to their core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First game isn't until November 5th
    Training camp, where you get to know your teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the first priority has to be improving them lose handles, right? So I'm guessing that he'll play as full time PG down there, much like he did in SL.

This is the only reason why it makes sense to send him down to G League. I mean it's obvious to a genital wart that Primo is an upgrade on Forbes in that current role. But the problem is that he wouldn't get the reps he needs as a main ball handler on the Spurs. He'd essentially play a similar role to the one played in Bama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While all of this is true, the fact of the matter is that Tony Parker didn't get that treatment. He was thrown into the fire. Yes, he had TD and Admiral around him at that time but he was still thrust in a very prominent role despite being 19 and not ever having played a minute of basketball in the US before. Wouldn't you say he learned a thing or two despite not playing in the development league? Again, not knocking your assessment, it's just interesting how these decisions play out is all.
    Tony Parker played in the French League, one of the two best leagues in Europe, against grown men from the time he was 16. He was a year older, and much more prepared than Josh. It still took him until his 5th year to be an All Star, even running with Tim and Manu. Development takes time. Primo will get rotation minutes next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Development takes time. Samanic will get rotation minutes next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    george hill was also given chances to play and carve out a role as a rookie

kawhi was immediately in the rotation and played himself into a bigger role, triggering the RJ trade

dejuan blair played plenty as a rookie (more than splitter did as a rookie, lol)

its uncomfortably arbitrary
    George Hill was 22, with FOUR years of D1 ball under his belt. Kawhi was a transformational defender, but basically sat in the corner waiting for kick out passes his first two seasons. He was a piece needed for a championship contender. We’re not that any more.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Corey Joseph. He was ing HORRIBLE out of the draft, couldn’t even get spot minutes. He ASKED to go to Austin, and came back an NBA player at the end of their season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    forbes stays on the court without defense. primo can easily come in and be as "good" as Forbes on defense

if we had a robust lineup of guards i wouldnt be as upset. but Forbes getting minutes eats into any argument against primo. since Forbes is more physically limited than Primo while being arguably the worst defender in the nba for the last half decade
    Forbes has barely played this year. Those minutes wouldn’t be enough to teach Josh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Forbes getting minutes ahead of Primo is awful, he's the youngest player in the league and G-league will surely help him a lot.

Better to be the first option in G-league than camp in the corner while getting miserable minutes.

If he starts dominating in G-league I don't think even Pop will be able to ignore him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... This guy Primo had the best defensive posession against Middleton in the entire game against the Bucks ...

Um, Primo played 48 seconds in that game.

People certainly do lose their minds easily around here. Call it Pop Derangement Syndrome. PDS.

Just because Pop should have retired 5 years ago, that doesn't make Primo All-NBA. Yet.

It's great - and a big relief - that Primo appears to be an excellent prospect. But he has a lot to learn.

People complain about Forbes, and rightly so, but to play significant minutes with the big club, Primo needs to be ready to replace Murray, or White, or Jones, or Walker, or Vassell, or maybe even McDermott or Keldon. He can't do that yet.

Yes, Primo should get some time on the floor with the big club, more than he's gotten. But he also needs extended playing time in the G league to get up to speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is also the point that in Austin, Primo will be playing for a different head coach, and different assistant coaches. The wider exposure, to different coaches, will do him good.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is a little doll and must be protected from the big bad NBA players Boo hoo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

other, better teams develop their first round picks in the actual games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its OK to send him to the g league for a month or so.

At this point I just hope he catches on quickly in the G league so that he proves himself worthy of minutes on the big squad during the second half of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is a little doll and must be protected from the big bad NBA players Boo hoo
    No you are describing spurtsalk posters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love primo but hes not ready for ball handing duties against nba players.

Nothing wrong with some seasoning and experience in the d league. Patience...... the vast majority of posters on here want to tank.... so why rush primo?

If he learns quickly and becomes a serviceable ball handle or just tears up the league then bring him up for the second half of the season.

I'm on board with the strategy.

Thread Information