Will Brinson on Twitter: "Tony Corrente leaned into the contact and then held his flag toss like a walk off three pointer. What a joke https://t.co/MhNlNVewJx" / Twitter

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    the flag wasnt for bumping into the ref btw

Context:

3:40 to play and Pittsburgh facing a third-and-8 from the Bears' 47-yard line, the journeyman linebacker darted into the pocket to sack Ben Roethlisberger and seemingly force a punt, giving Chicago a chance to take the lead. Marsh proceeded to take several slow steps toward the Steelers sideline and stared at his former teammates from afar, only to be called for taunting by referee Tony Corrente. The free 15 yards gifted Pittsburgh a first down and helped set up a field goal to put the Steelers ahead 26-20 with 2:52 remaining.

Same ref:

Down 14-3 in the third quarter, rookie quarterback Justin Fields found Jimmy Graham for a short touchdown pass that pulled the Bears within five points of the Steelers. But an illegal blocking call on guard James Daniels negated the score, even though replay indicated Daniels never actually made illegal contact while attempting a low block. (Corrente told the pool reporter after the game that he judged Daniels had, in fact, made contact "from my perspective and in my position.") Later, early in the fourth quarter, cornerback Jaylon Johnson was called for a 30-yard defensive pass interference, even though Steelers wide receiver Diontae Johnson could be seen pushing just as much, if not more, at the tail end of the play at hand.

the flag wasnt for bumping into the ref btw
    I'm looking for video of the alleged taunt.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I'm looking for video of the alleged taunt.
    it was a call

but the dumb narrative is that this ref intentionally bumped into a player so that he can call a penalty on said player

it was a call

but the dumb narrative is that this ref intentionally bumped into a player so that he can call a penalty on said player
    Marsh taking 5-6 steps towards the Steelers bench was not a good look IF indeed that violates the newer lame taunting rule.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    it was a call

I didn't think the flag was for the bump, but there was no reason for the ref to bump him whatsoever.

I didn't think the flag was for the bump, but there was no reason for the ref to bump him whatsoever.
    I jacked the order up of the thread. Even tho it's all over the news, i can't find a stand alone video of the alleged taunt that i wanted to have in the OP.

Yes the ref bumping Marsh came after the alleged taunt. Regardless this ref seems like a who had reason(s) to favor Steelers.
    See the above calls the ref was also in on. Huge momentum swings.

As to the taunt call, while Chicago would have had the ball down 23-20 i believe Chi had momentum 100%.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    75 immaculate deception, that Seahawk rig job in 05 (?), the Cincy rig job in (12?) it's not exactly a surprise to me that the refs rigged for the Steelers.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    Could you guys maybe and whine harder?

^ Leave my Steelers alone! ?

While the taunting call may have been letter of the rule correct, FFS NFL refs are notorious for bending the written rule. I did not like the glaring at his old team either, but imo Marsh retreated soon enough to let it slide.

Huge plus is the other calls that this y ref made earlier in the game.
    Clear robbery of Bears.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    I just think "rigging" in professional sports isn't real, and most cases of alleged rigging are simply mistakes by the officials interpreted through the lens of confirmation bias.

^ Wow.
    Lakers, Patriots?

My Team
    Chicago Bears
    Post Count
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that the game was rigged.

I thought that it was more a case of a ref being shockingly inept. Perhaps the game has passed the old man by and he needs to hang up the whistle.

The Steeler fans who think that the game was fairly officiated are prolly same ones who think Big Ben is just fine and aging like Brady. The word delusional doesn't even begin to cover it, tbh.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ^ Leave my Steelers alone! ?

While the taunting call may have been letter of the rule correct, FFS NFL refs are notorious for bending the written rule. I did not like the glaring at his old team either, but imo Marsh retreated soon enough to let it slide.

Huge plus is the other calls that this y ref made earlier in the game.
    Clear robbery of Bears.
    That Seahawks-Steelers Super Bowl in Detroit in '05-06 (SB XL) blatant rigjob will be forever one of the greatest stains on the NFL, like Sacramento-Lakers 2002 WCF

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    it was a call

Will Brinson on Twitter: "Tony Corrente leaned into the contact and then held his flag toss like a walk off three pointer. What a joke https://t.co/MhNlNVewJx" / Twitter

Hmmmmm

Anyone remember Jack Nies flopping on Tim Duncan in the early part of the 2003-04 season (@ Golden State Warriors) ?

then that got jew Stern (good riddance he died, hopefully he suffered greatly) suspended Timmy for the very next game (@ L.A. Clippers ; Spurs lost both games, and it would have an impact on the final season standings) even though Nies, a known Laker-lover and anti-Spurs referee, clearly flopped and fraudulently made it look like Timmy was in the wrong and assaulted him.

Just one of the 8,793,941 things I'll never forgive the NBA for & I'll never watch it again. # TheJews #YesAllJews #BurnThemAll

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    That Seahawks-Steelers Super Bowl in Detroit in '05-06 (SB XL) blatant rigjob will be forever one of the greatest stains on the NFL, like Sacramento-Lakers 2002 WCF
    If nothing else, you had to he happy for Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward. Two great guys who deserved a ring. Bettis closing his career with a ring was like David Robinson doing the same in '03.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    If nothing else, you had to he happy for Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward. Two great guys who deserved a ring. Bettis closing his career with a ring was like David Robinson doing the same in '03.
    you can't deny it was a rig job though, Seattle was the better team and had the better QB and offense. Yeah Bettis winning on his last game in his home city of Detroit was cute, but, not worth the rig job.

I do think the Steelers may have been robbed a bit in the 2011 super bowl, but it's Green Gay, who Goodell loves even more than Pittsburgh.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    you can't deny it was a rig job though, Seattle was the better team and had the better QB and offense. Yeah Bettis winning on his last game in his home city of Detroit was cute, but, not worth the rig job.

I do think the Steelers may have been robbed a bit in the 2011 super bowl, but it's Green Gay, who Goodell loves even more than Pittsburgh.
    I was only 17 at the time, but I have no memory of any rigging. What exactly happened that you think was rigged?

I do remember it being a redemption run for the Steelers, sort of like the 2014 Spurs. The previous year they had gone 15-1 before losing in the AFCCG, and Jerome had to be talked out of retirement. So he reluctantly came back for one more season. Then they barely made the playoffs as a 6th seed and went on to win the Super Bowl. Pretty cool story.

Oh, forgot to mention Bill Cowher - you have to be happy for him too. He was a great coach and I'm glad he a got a ring, even though he retired too early.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 11-13-2021 at 12:56 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I was only 17 at the time, but I have no memory of any rigging. What exactly happened that you think was rigged?

I do remember it being a redemption year for the Steelers, sort of like the 2014 Spurs. The previous year they had gone 15-1 before losing in the playoffs, and Jerome had to be talked out of retirement. So he reluctantly came back for one more season. Then they made the playoffs as a 6th seed and went on to win the Super Bowl. Pretty cool.

Oh, forgot to mention Bill Cowher - you have to be happy for him too. He was a great coach and I'm glad he a got a ring, even though he retired too early.

I also remember on PTI at the time the main focus of the Monday after the game wasn't about the Steelers but about the refs. I was 11 1/2 years old, almost 12.

Thread Information