Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we would have just held out for the lakers haul because lebron was going to eventually demand the lakers give up all their young players and picks for another star, and at that time Kawhi was THE star. We could have had all their 1st round picks and young players to either play or trade away for more picks. So sad that the front office couldn't hold their water. But Lamarcus had already castrated Pop by this point so the old man didn't have any balls to swing around and drop on the table

I also contend some team like the kings, or suns, or mavs, would have gotten desperate and given us everything they had as well.

All we got out of Kawhi was Poeltl and Keldon. That is laughably bad for a guy who at the time this was happen was viewed by some as the best player in basketball.

Oh well, it is what it is.
    There was no Lakers haul. Kuzma and Hart. Magic was in bed with Uncle Dennis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy just baited yall into another useless thread but what's sadder is actually discussing it lol
    Hate to be the one to break it to you...but now you are in here participating, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well maybe that would be a message for agents to advise their clients to not act like pieces of ?
    Agents work for players, not the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agents work for players, not the other way around.
    Yeah, and their job is to give good advice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it hilarious small market teams worry about pissing off agents or potential stars. Those guys never sign with small market teams. It’s either LA, Ny/Brooklyn or Miami. Even major cities like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, or even San Fran (if it wasn’t for 73 wins) have a hard time luring FAs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, and their job is to give good advice.
    Their job is to negotiate contracts. Period. Advice will get you fired.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Poetl... three years of Derozan and KJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it hilarious small market teams worry about pissing off agents or potential stars. Those guys never sign with small market teams. It’s either LA, Ny/Brooklyn or Miami. Even major cities like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, or even San Fran (if it wasn’t for 73 wins) have a hard time luring FAs.
    Agreed I never understand that logic being scared to offend agents or potential stars when you know they are not coming to San Antonio anyways. Guys that sign here through FA come here because it's the only place where they can get the most money. The Spurs would have still gotten a FA like McDermott, Collins regardless of how they treated Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. These type of guys are not going to think "The Spurs treated Kawhi badly and therefore I will not sign with the Spurs even though no other team can give me better offers." Then there are the Lebrons, Durants of this world and these guys are never going to sign with the Spurs anyways. Stupid logic in here by some posters fearing that agents and stars wouldn't come here if the Spurs held strong against Kawhi like the Sixers are doing right now with Simmons.
    Last edited by daslicer; 11-13-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. I thought so too at the time but this is more emotional than rational. It's also terrible for the team's relationship with agents, which matters. The rational thing is to recognize an irreparable relationship as early as possible and act quickly. Spurs should have traded the snake at least 6 months prior to when they actually did.

Say what you want about that trade, and yeah it wasn't great because his value had crashed, but the Spurs now have 2 starters out of it + a few future picks from the DDR trade.
    Yes the Spurs have two starters on a lottery team that's not going to go anywhere anytime soon. Keldon is undersized and playing out of position. Poeltll is just a solid player at best. I'll be amazed if one day they can be starters on a Spurs team that is elite. Until that happens they don't move the needle in my eyes. Spurs got just 1 first round pick from the Demar-Bulls trade and that pick is protected which means it will probably be a ty late first round pick if the Bulls record holds up and there is no chance the Spurs will ever get a lottery pick out of it since it's protected. They also got two second round picks out of trade which will most likely not amount to anything. Overall so far the Kawhi trade was garbage. It will stay garbage unless the Spurs hit a home run with the picks the bulls gave them and draft a superstar.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. I thought so too at the time but this is more emotional than rational. It's also terrible for the team's relationship with agents, which matters. The rational thing is to recognize an irreparable relationship as early as possible and act quickly. Spurs should have traded the snake at least 6 months prior to when they actually did.

Say what you want about that trade, and yeah it wasn't great because his value had crashed, but the Spurs now have 2 starters out of it + a few future picks from the DDR trade.
    The Spurs would have only damaged their relationship with Agent Uncle Dennis. I don't see any other agents they would have damaged their relationship with had they held strong against Kawhi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Sixers can get away with this approach because they're a big market team. Spurs were getting crucified by the media , urging them to trade Nephew. If Sixers got that same treatment and coverage, they would have already traded Simmons
    I disagree with you Morey by nature does not give a about the media's opinion. That was evident with his stand against China and all the the crazy things he's done in the past. Spurs let the media punk them while the Sixer's didn't. Sixers did not let Simmons's and his team set the narrative. They weren't scared to call him out on his bs. The problem with the Spurs they weren't willing to do the same with Kawhi. They were too scared and ended up losing the battle in humiliating fashion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying Philly wasting a year of Embiids prime to stick it to Simmons is dumb. Nothing they have done has increased his value, its only plummeted. And dragging it out isn't going to make it better. I have no idea why Morey thinks he's going to trade a diva with a massive contract whose value is at an all time low for a better player in return, it makes no sense and they just look stupider every day they don't deal him and move on. The circus has gotten really old at this point imho
    This year of Embiid's prime was already wasted when Simmon's pulled his stunt. Do you honestly believe if they trade Simmons for some good role players they are going to win a tile with the team they currently have? I personally don't see it happening. You rarely win in this league with just 1 superstar and a collection of good role players. That has only been pulled off 3 times in the last 30 years with Hakeem in '94, Duncan in '03, and Dirk in '11. I doubt Embiid could pull it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes the Spurs have two starters on a lottery team that's not going to go anywhere anytime soon. Keldon is undersized and playing out of position. Poeltll is just a solid player at best. I'll be amazed if one day they can be starters on a Spurs team that is elite. Until that happens they don't move the needle in my eyes. Spurs got just 1 first round pick from the Demar-Bulls trade and that pick is protected which means it will probably be a ty late first round pick if the Bulls record holds up and there is no chance the Spurs will ever get a lottery pick out of it since it's protected. They also got two second round picks out of trade which will most likely not amount to anything. Overall so far the Kawhi trade was garbage. It will stay garbage unless the Spurs hit a home run with the picks the bulls gave them and draft a superstar.
    Well if you’re strictly considering everything as assets you could say the Spurs got 3 firsts and 2 seconds out of that trade. And sure, most likely no one will become a difference maker, however, that’s how things go for everyone when trading away a superstar. Have NO got anything substantial from the Davis trade? By the same logic no - couple of ok players and late firsts that won’t amount to anything. Houston only got what are projected to be late picks for Harden, etc. In every such case the best assets of the team that trades a superstar are their own picks, not the ones they acquire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Poetl... three years of Derozan and KJ.
    And Young, a Chicago 1st, and three 2nds, including a very likely shot at Detroits this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Young, a Chicago 1st, and three 2nds, including a very likely shot at Detroits this year.
    And a le. Thinking back on all the small market expats you have to go back to probably Lew Alcindor and the bucks to find a star who contributed to a le before leaving

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And a le. Thinking back on all the small market expats you have to go back to probably Lew Alcindor and the bucks to find a star who contributed to a le before leaving
    and lecramp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes,
    I forgot him. Sort of an unused one since he left then came back after they ac ulated multiple lottery picks

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes,
    I forgot him. Sort of an unused one since he left then came back after they ac ulated multiple lottery picks
    i just like saying lecramp tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying Philly wasting a year of Embiids prime to stick it to Simmons is dumb. Nothing they have done has increased his value, its only plummeted. And dragging it out isn't going to make it better. I have no idea why Morey thinks he's going to trade a diva with a massive contract whose value is at an all time low for a better player in return, it makes no sense and they just look stupider every day they don't deal him and move on. The circus has gotten really old at this point imho
    Yeah but this also sets a bad precedent for the league, other players see what happens with players like Kawhi, Harden and Simmons and then everyone who doesn't like their situation will start pulling this crap. Teams need to put their foot down and stop catering to the demands of players still under contract.
    Last edited by SayTown; 11-14-2021 at 05:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year of Embiid's prime was already wasted when Simmon's pulled his stunt. Do you honestly believe if they trade Simmons for some good role players they are going to win a tile with the team they currently have? I personally don't see it happening. You rarely win in this league with just 1 superstar and a collection of good role players. That has only been pulled off 3 times in the last 30 years with Hakeem in '94, Duncan in '03, and Dirk in '11. I doubt Embiid could pull it off.
    Yeah actually I do. The 6ers are solid and adding depth or stacking talent for a better trade would benefit them this season. The league looks as wide open as it ever has, the time for a team like them to maximize their chances to win a ring is right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have just held onto him until a team gave us exactly what we wanted but Pop has always been a pussy when it comes to confrontation so we effectively traded Kawhi for Keldon, Poeltl, and a future 1st round Chicago pick. Terrible

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop got his coaching record. The DDR years were all about that, in retrospect. In my opinion. I suppose years later it will be cool to see pop mentioned for the All-time record and all that, but for now the DDR years really tried the fan base’s patience, because now we’re still getting worse every year, with rock-bottom hitting next year, most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop got his coaching record. The DDR years were all about that, in retrospect. In my opinion. I suppose years later it will be cool to see pop mentioned for the All-time record and all that, but for now the DDR years really tried the fan base’s patience, because now we’re still getting worse every year, with rock-bottom hitting next year, most likely.
    Yep. The best part is he is the ultimate for team, for country, for greater good puppeteer.

In my opinion this team finally bottoms out only after his departure unfortunately. He will coach us to another 5-10 wins late season, while others are tanking; once again for his own credence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uncle Dennis tryna get that chinese money

I've been saying this for years. Old man still hasn't gotten over himself

Thread Information