Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Lately I have really liked these Korean Samyang Buldak y chicken ramen noodles in the black bag. They're a little y but not overly so. There is also one in the red bag that is decently hot. Neither really tastes like chicken but they're kind of addictively sweet, though the red bag one is pretty dominated by the heat while the black bag one is better balanced.

I also really like the Cup of Noodles curry flavor. Most Cup of Noodles are pretty but that one is pretty decent for a three minute curry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Nongshim Shin Ramyun in the red bag is pretty good too. Never tried the black bag one that's like 3x the price though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i"m not that fancy. I just like Top Ramen with some garlic chili sauce and a lot of soy with pieces of chicken and some scallions/chives.

When I eat noodles, if my head doesn't sweat and my nose run, it's not y enough.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i"m not that fancy. I just like Top Ramen with some garlic chili sauce and a lot of soy with pieces of chicken and some scallions/chives.

When I eat noodles, if my head doesn't sweat and my nose run, it's not y enough.
    You might like the red bag from my first post then. It's hot enough to make your nose run. Kind of more like noodles than a ramen though, as you're only supposed to put a couple of spoons of water with it before mixing the chili oil into the noodles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You might like the red bag from my first post then. It's hot enough to make your nose run. Kind of more like noodles than a ramen though, as you're only supposed to put a couple of spoons of water with it before mixing the chili oil into the noodles.
    Where can you find it? HEB?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Where can you find it? HEB?
    It's pretty popular at Asian markets in town, I usually get it at a Filipino place in Universal City, but have seen it at the Korean grocery stores on Rittiman and the Japanese market on Hildebrand. Failing that, you could order off Amazon, but it's like $9 for a 5 pack there while it's $6 for a 5 pack in the Asian markets in town.

https://www.amazon.com/Samyang- y...dp/B075VM9N96/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's pretty popular at Asian markets in town, I usually get it at a Filipino place in Universal City, but have seen it at the Korean grocery stores on Rittiman and the Japanese market on Hildebrand. Failing that, you could order off Amazon, but it's like $9 for a 5 pack there while it's $6 for a 5 pack in the Asian markets in town.

They have a Hong Kong supermarket here. I used to shop there often but haven't in a while.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    They have a Hong Kong supermarket here. I used to shop there often but haven't in a while.
    Probably worth checking, they seem to be pretty consistently in the Asian markets in and around San Antonio so guessing it wouldn't be much different in Austin.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I’m not a soup or noodles guy. They never agree with me.

Dont like the dry taste they leave afterwards. Dry mouth, thirst and sometimes non stop hiccups. It’s essentially an ordeal for me to eat it so I don’t bother with instant ramen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

with some squirts of sriracha

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    College
    Texas Longhorns

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Nongshim Shin Ramyun in the red bag is pretty good too. Never tried the black bag one that's like 3x the price though.

Shin Black is really good (has a bone broth, that’s the main difference) but honestly not worth the price compared to regular Shin.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans

Do they have H-Mart in San Antonio? That’s probably the best Korean supermarket I’ve been to. They have pretty much every instant noodle you can think of.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That one is killer if you cook it with some dashi powder.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Do they have H-Mart in San Antonio? That’s probably the best Korean supermarket I’ve been to. They have pretty much every instant noodle you can think of.
    Nah we don't have any in San Antonio. The two Korean markets I like to go to in town are Seoul Asian Food Market and then one that's just called Korean Market (at least in English, don't know what the Hangul says). They both have awesome in-store restaurants though. I especially like Korean Market, as you get all you can eat kimchi with any meal. The Filipino place I usually go to has about a billion different flavors of Samyang and a bunch of Sapporo Ichiban, though the Japanese instant noodles like Sapporo Ichiban, Nissin, and Maruchan don't do much for me compared to the Korean ones like Samyang and Nongshim.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    One of my favorites is MAMA Ramen Creamy Shrimp noodles.

It has a great y shrimp flavor that is hard to beat.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I haven't eaten anything like that in years, but when I did a long time ago it was Maruchan Ramen, Pork Flavor.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    While on the topic which Ramen spot is the best in SA?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i never really tested the waters with these. almost always just stuck with the basic ass maruchan instant lunch chicken flavor noodles. though i dont think i've had any since law school. instant noodles were part of my final exam week regimen when i needed some all nighters. usually a combination of that, salted sunflower seeds, and those sugar filled starbucks frappucino drinks you can buy in glass bottles at markets

Last edited by spurraider21; 10-12-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Instant ramen pro tips - throw an egg in your soup as it’s cooking, along with a few drops of sesame oil, then top it with some green onions & a sprinkle of gochugaru.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Instant ramen pro tips - throw an egg in your soup as it’s cooking, along with a few drops of sesame oil, then top it with some green onions & a sprinkle of gochugaru.
    I like to do a soft boiled egg in a separate pot myself. Hate all the s that floats up when boiling a cracked egg getting into the broth. Never heard of gochugaru, does it add a lot of heat and beat out putting Sriracha in?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I like to do a soft boiled egg in a separate pot myself. Hate all the s that floats up when boiling a cracked egg getting into the broth. Never heard of gochugaru, does it add a lot of heat and beat out putting Sriracha in?
    It’s just Korean chili flakes, so similar to adding red pepper. Won’t give the same flavor as sriracha but it does kick up the heat.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    i never really tested the waters with these. almost always just stuck with the basic ass maruchan instant lunch chicken flavor noodles. though i dont think i've had any since law school. instant noodles were part of my final exam week regimen when i needed some all nighters. usually a combination of that, salted sunflower seeds, and those sugar filled starbucks frappucino drinks you can buy in glass bottles at markets

You need to heat that stuff in a separate bowl (glass, ceramic, etc). It is NOT safe to eat/drink any heated liquids (soup, coffee, tea, any other wet-ish foods) out of heated styrofoam, as the heat applied to styrofoam causes release of very dangerous compounds that are strongly carcinogenic and cause cancers throughout the human GI tract, when such compounds are released from the hot styrofoam into the food/soup.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Never been a fan of instant noodles, they always tasted like styrofoam to me.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Never been a fan of instant noodles, they always tasted like styrofoam to me.
    If they "tasted like styrofoam" then you probably successfully consumed a massive amount of carcinogens, tbh.

Thread Information