Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe only 3mm is guaranteed. Really not a big deal to waive him.
    His contract is half-guaranteed, meaning the marginal cost of keeping him is $3.5 Million. For a prospect, that's probably enough money to keep him. The issue is that he's being paid $7 Million, and that's not nearly as good of a deal overall. I think the Spurs would probably waive him if he was fully non-guaranteed, but since they believed in him enough to give him the contract in the first place, they're not willing to waive him to save so little. The second part was saying that IF the Spurs needed to waive Collins, they could do so in a way that saves a ton of cap space. The logic behind keeping him doesn't change, but if a big fish needed cap space, cutting Collins could be a key part of getting that space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't think the Spurs SHOULD waive him -- there are just conditions where it makes sense. My point is that I haven't really seen much good from him to think signing him was a good deal. If they believe in him, obviously they should still keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is half-guaranteed, meaning the marginal cost of keeping him is $3.5 Million. For a prospect, that's probably enough money to keep him. The issue is that he's being paid $7 Million, and that's not nearly as good of a deal overall. I think the Spurs would probably waive him if he was fully non-guaranteed, but since they believed in him enough to give him the contract in the first place, they're not willing to waive him to save so little. The second part was saying that IF the Spurs needed to waive Collins, they could do so in a way that saves a ton of cap space. The logic behind keeping him doesn't change, but if a big fish needed cap space, cutting Collins could be a key part of getting that space.
    Waiving him saves 3.5mm. Not really significant. He is guaranteed come draft day so he isn’t great for clearing immediate cap space for anyone. He might be a trade chip at the trade deadline in 2023 though, otherwise expect him to be part of the 22-23 roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waiving him saves 3.5mm. Not really significant. He is guaranteed come draft day so he isn’t great for clearing immediate cap space for anyone. He might be a trade chip at the trade deadline in 2023 though, otherwise expect him to be part of the 22-23 roster.
    Waiving and stretching Collins reduces his cap number by literally 90 percent (from $7 Million to $700k). It's certainly worth doing for the right signing. But that guarantee date definitely matters. It's bonkers that they gave him such a generous date given how much money they guaranteed. It increases the chances he makes the team, though there's still a chance that the Spurs either get a sense they'll be able to make a big signing or find a potential trade for which they'd need the cap space.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people think because he was drafted in the top 10 he has some kinda hidden potential still waiting to be unlocked. He is what he is tbh.
    i don't like what i've seen so far with Collins but i'll definitely give him more time.
    I feel like i'll be able to form a better opinion halfway through next season, hopefully he's able to stay healthy throughout.
    If not for quote 1, I'd be more amendable to quote 2 (plus the fact that's he's highly unlikely to ever fully regain 100% of his athleticism/mobility).

But yeah, they were always more than likely to view him as a 2 year project before making a determination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just showing some love, I think tonight was the best game overall for Collins considering the matchup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just showing some love, I think tonight was the best game overall for Collins considering the matchup.
    We appreciate you Zach will keep getting better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins is starting to become a solid backup big. And once he got stronger and hopefully better with Spurs trainers working on him, I have no doubt he could be a starter. I like the way he position himself on defense, not necessarily swatting the ball, but outstretching his arms vertically to create a wall, it’s a textbook Pop defense. He pushes Jokic out if position and doesn’t really give in easily. He dives for that 50/50 at one point. Zach will work hard to get better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes two players who should really improve this off-season…

tre jones 3 pt range…

zach collins continuing his rehab to get his body back closer to his pre-injury days

those games where he got pushed around inside and had his shots blocked by smaller guys was mostly due to him not having his original physical ability

i remember him in portland jumping a lot higher- hope most of that returns as he rehabs this summer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This contract is turning out to be a steal. Since his minutes got bumped to about 20 a game (3/11), he’s averaging 10.0/6.0/2.6 on decent shooting from the field and even showing some range from three. He’s still getting his legs back under him, and he’s balled out in four of the last five games.

Most importantly, no signs of the injury flaring back up.

Two more years at $7 per … lots of teams would kill for that now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This contract is turning out to be a steal. Since his minutes got bumped to about 20 a game (3/11), he’s averaging 10.0/6.0/2.6 on decent shooting from the field and even showing some range from three. He’s still getting his legs back under him, and he’s balled out in four of the last five games.

Most importantly, no signs of the injury flaring back up.

Two more years at $7 per … lots of teams would kill for that now.
    It was a brilliant piece of GMing. Spurs sign former top 10 pick big man for 3/$21M, but are only obligated for like the MLE, $10.5M.

Now, do Jalen Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really fun to see Collins not only regaining confidence in his game but also progressing as a player beyond what he has done before.
    The last two games may be the best two games he has played in his entire NBA career.

I thought that for most of the game against Denver Collins played the Joker better than Poeltl did.
    Poeltl did have several really nice defensive possessions late in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now, do Jalen Smith.
    I’ve seen back and forth about this but is he only a 5 or can he play the 4 in the NBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a brilliant piece of GMing. Spurs sign former top 10 pick big man for 3/$21M, but are only obligated for like the MLE, $10.5M.

Now, do Jalen Smith.
    Jalen Smith is doing quite well in Indiana, I bet he will have many suitors...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is playing well, and the team shouldn't be thinking of waiving him to save $3.5 Million, but I wouldn't call him a steal right now. The Spurs might need his contract to make a trade and with three draft picks might end up drafting another center anyway. Duren might be BPA at their pick, and he looks about as NBA ready (for what he can do) as any pick. Could see Duren and Jones forming a very good bench pairing next year. This off-season is so wide open for the team. There are scenarios where Collins might end up as the opening-day starter, or he could be stretched. Hopefully, the Spurs get a good performance out of these next few games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Smith is doing quite well in Indiana, I bet he will have many suitors...
    Teams with cap space this summer > MLE:

SA
    OKC
    IND
    ORL
    POR

Well, Indy is hamstrung by the same rules as Phoenix was, since they acquired his contract, so they can’t pay him more than $4.7M. Portland has the lowest available at $19M. The other three are hard tankers. We just threw 3/$21M at a guy with screws in his foot. Throw a bag slightly over MLE at him, and cut out every other team, say 3/$33. Just to head off the HE MIGHT SIGN WITH A CONTENDER FOR LESS crowd, being on a contender in Phoenix is what stunted his development and playing time, and he’s 22, and probably won’t be likely to take a discount. SA can pay him as much as anyone, and we are the premier development program in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is playing well, and the team shouldn't be thinking of waiving him to save $3.5 Million, but I wouldn't call him a steal right now. The Spurs might need his contract to make a trade and with three draft picks might end up drafting another center anyway. Duren might be BPA at their pick, and he looks about as NBA ready (for what he can do) as any pick. Could see Duren and Jones forming a very good bench pairing next year. This off-season is so wide open for the team. There are scenarios where Collins might end up as the opening-day starter, or he could be stretched. Hopefully, the Spurs get a good performance out of these next few games.
    There are a lot options, but I doubt they ever feel the need to stretch his guaranteed $3.5M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot options, but I doubt they ever feel the need to stretch his guaranteed $3.5M.
    The Spurs can basically turn his $7-Million cap hit into a $700k dead-money hit. That is a critical amount of cap savings. If the Spurs want to try to bring in some big names this off-season, they might need it. It's also possible that Collins has played his way to buoyancy in terms of his deal and can be traded as ballast. They won't have a lot of time to figure it out for sure, but they might well target trades during the draft and realize they need to get a max slot open for the start of free agency. They can't get one at this point without shedding another mid-sized contract like Collins. (And yes, I am counting on them renouncing Lonnie already).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when i saw tre throw that lob up for jakob last night, my mind immediately flashed forward to the potential dynamic that a PG like tre could have with a big like duren.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve seen back and forth about this but is he only a 5 or can he play the 4 in the NBA?
    He is playing ard 1/3 of the time as a PF, he probably could not play it there permanently. The good thing is he can provide some flexibility by being able to play the 4 and 5.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a good risk/reward deal from the jump….. not rocket science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Indy is hamstrung by the same rules as Phoenix was, since they acquired his contract, so they can’t pay him more than $4.7M. Portland has the lowest available at $19M. The other three are hard tankers. We just threw 3/$21M at a guy with screws in his foot. Throw a bag slightly over MLE at him, and cut out every other team, say 3/$33. Just to head off the HE MIGHT SIGN WITH A CONTENDER FOR LESS crowd, being on a contender in Phoenix is what stunted his development and playing time, and he’s 22, and probably won’t be likely to take a discount. SA can pay him as much as anyone, and we are the premier development program in the league.
    Zach Collins' contract is partially guaranteed, so that $21M figure is misleading. But I agree that Jalen Smith would be a VERY interesting FA target, because he's young, promising, at a position of need, and the short list of potential compe ors would make this quite likely if they went for it. He'd be kind of a free extra high lottery pick.
    The other scenario would be to go after DeAndre Ayton, which would be VERY costly and also UNLIKELY to get him since he's restricted, but with Sarver you never know. But he'd command a max contract, so even if it could be done, it'd require DA to develop significantly in order to be worthy of such numbers.
    Given the emphasis on putting a compe ive team now, it's likely the FO may be targeting a significant FA or trade sooner rather than later, so they might be on the radar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins looked good last night. He actually was defending the Joker a little better than Poeltl, it appeared to me. Give him some time to get some confidence back in his three point shot and he could be a great backup forward/center for this group.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams with cap space this summer > MLE:

SA
    OKC
    IND
    ORL
    POR

Detroit too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do not overpay for run of the mill Zollins
    He can easily be replaced

Thread Information