Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Dno if anyone here follows this stuff.

Carlsen and Nepo drew the first 5 games. Game 6 is currently underway and is quite tense atm, though both players missed winning chances under time pressure before the 40th move clock reset
    Last edited by spurraider21; 12-03-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    at this point it looks like one of those magnus games where he manages to grind his opponent down and make tiny incremental improvements in what looks like a drawn endgame

longest recorded game in a chess championship was 124 moves. they are now at move 109
    Last edited by spurraider21; 12-03-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    they're at move 116, down to 5 pieces on the board. with this few pieces, the computers can essentially "solve" the game, and it has already said that its a draw with best play... but these are human players.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    on queue

nepo slipped up. carlsen going to win this. i guess when you play the longest game in championship history you get gassed

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    and after playing a nearly 8 hour game... nepo isn't going to have nearly as much time/energy to prep for the white pieces tomorrow

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I actually care about this, but you probably don't care about me.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    tl;dr

Magnus is going to win it and Stockfish is going to say that he sucks. Levy (GothamChess) is going to make some funny video about it all

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    they're at move 116, down to 5 pieces on the board. with this few pieces, the computers can essentially "solve" the game, and it has already said that its a draw with best play... but these are human players.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 12-03-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    There's got to be some kind of perpetual check with the Black pieces. Theoretically a rook and knight and 2 pawns are better than a queen and lone king, and White should be able to promote a pawn with best play but it's very hard to do while keeping the queen at bay from checking the white king perpetually.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

and yet I, being a 1976 rated casual player beat a 2450 IM in a 130 move 5 minute blitz game on the internet. sounds like magnus is pretty slow after all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Didn't read Andy's but I can guess it's about him and his chess prowess.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I dont see how human beings can concentrate this long.
    Im pretty damn bad but I enjoy, yet really cant fully appreciate, how to examine these games without massive help and general statements from commentators who know the game well.

GO is a fantastic board game, but when I play I think I have an idea whether I am in a good position or not, but I really do not. The game can change so rapidly, there are just too many moves you can make, especially early on. I play the smaller board version most of the time so it goes quicker. And can get trashed by any kid who can play.

Alpha GO is a great do entary about the game and AI.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Im pretty damn bad but I enjoy, yet really cant fully appreciate, how to examine these games without massive help and general statements from commentators who know the game well.

GO is a fantastic board game, but when I play I think I have an idea whether I am in a good position or not, but I really do not. The game can change so rapidly, there are just too many moves you can make, especially early on. I play the smaller board version most of the time so it goes quicker. And can get trashed by any kid who can play.

I'm not a big fan of either go or 4 way chess. I'd rather play backgammon than those two.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

i was never anything special but used to play in small local tournaments before college. never played with the time controls that have these guys playing a single game for 7+ hours. but they'd have us play multiple games per day on lower time controls, so we'd be on the board for maybe 5 hours in a day, but with breaks between games, and no single game being all that draining

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I watched that Vox video about chess recently, had no idea that high level chess is so draining that you burn like 6000 calories a day from it, and some grandmasters will drop 2 pounds a day in weight while competing.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    i was never anything special but used to play in small local tournaments before college. never played with the time controls that have these guys playing a single game for 7+ hours. but they'd have us play multiple games per day on lower time controls, so we'd be on the board for maybe 5 hours in a day, but with breaks between games, and no single game being all that draining
    That's pretty much what I did. 25 minute rapid games, 5-6 games per tournament depending on if there needed to be a tie breaker.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I watched that Vox video about chess recently, had no idea that high level chess is so draining that you burn like 6000 calories a day from it, and some grandmasters will drop 2 pounds a day in weight while competing.
    endurance has largely played a factor in the current championship game already. the game on friday lasted about 8 full hours, and they had games on saturday then sunday. after nepo played through that slog on friday and lost, he was pretty clearly gassed. the saturday game was a simple draw, then he tilted and kinda embarrassingly blundered the game away on sunday.

the reason it matters is because between games, they will often go into deep prep and make adjustments, look far down potential lines, long memorization processes, etc. but after playing through that kind of match, you dont really have the energy to make strong preparation. its part of why the draw on saturday came so easily. nepo didnt really have the time/energy to prep for his game with the white pieces (common tactic at that level of play is to push for wins with white, hold for draw with black).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    also at andy for constantly responding to my posts even though he is literally adblocked from my screen, so i couldnt view post if i tried. still get the dumb notification though

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    also at andy for constantly responding to my posts even though he is literally adblocked from my screen, so i couldnt view post if i tried. still get the dumb notification though
    Maybe you ought to change that. It's almost 2022.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    endurance has largely played a factor in the current championship game already. the game on friday lasted about 8 full hours, and they had games on saturday then sunday. after nepo played through that slog on friday and lost, he was pretty clearly gassed. the saturday game was a simple draw, then he tilted and kinda embarrassingly blundered the game away on sunday.

the reason it matters is because between games, they will often go into deep prep and make adjustments, look far down potential lines, long memorization processes, etc. but after playing through that kind of match, you dont really have the energy to make strong preparation. its part of why the draw on saturday came so easily. nepo didnt really have the time/energy to prep for his game with the white pieces (common tactic at that level of play is to push for wins with white, hold for draw with black).
    Yes, even in the past, in the days of the Soviet heavyweight chess super GMs of the 50s-70s, generally a win by one side would always be followed by a draw the next day. Even with hyper-aggressive players like Mikhail Tal who hated drawish positions to positional players like Botvinnik and Tigran Petrosian who tried to steer almost every big name game towards a draw.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Oh I was never good enough to play in any tournament.
    I did learn you can get a of a lot better by playing a bunch of different people and play often. Practice was very important. But no way was I going to get into something really organized well. I know just enough to realize its much too difficult for me and some stuff I could never see that far ahead. I just tried to make sure every move I made after the openings would make the opponent uncomfortable or get me out of immediate trouble while possibly putting the onus back on the opponent. Thats as far as I got.

And I realize I have a zone that is intense that will last only about an hour. Then I start to see diminishing returns. Like studying. It was 1 hr, break, then 35 minutes, then break and 20 minutes and done. But in that time I could get a lot done. I never trusted the people who said they could study 3 hrs straight or do all nighters. That was only for people who got way behind and really had no clue and just trying to cobble something together or else total fail. But now I do believe there are some people who can stay in a zone a lot longer than I can and actually stay in the zone. Self examination of capabilities is humbling but very useful.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Oh I was never good enough to play in any tournament.
    I did learn you can get a of a lot better by playing a bunch of different people and play often. Practice was very important. But no way was I going to get into something really organized well. I know just enough to realize its much too difficult for me and some stuff I could never see that far ahead. I just tried to make sure every move I made after the openings would make the opponent uncomfortable or get me out of immediate trouble while possibly putting the onus back on the opponent. Thats as far as I got.

And I realize I have a zone that is intense that will last only about an hour. Then I start to see diminishing returns. Like studying. It was 1 hr, break, then 35 minutes, then break and 20 minutes and done. But in that time I could get a lot done. I never trusted the people who said they could study 3 hrs straight or do all nighters. That was only for people who got way behind and really had no clue and just trying to cobble something together or else total fail. But now I do believe there are some people who can stay in a zone a lot longer than I can and actually stay in the zone. Self examination of capabilities is humbling but very useful.
    wasn't a matter of being "good enough" to play in tourneys. this was all elementary thru high school stuff. would split up players by grade levels, and often times with ratings caps. it was more recreational than anything.

i did go to weekly classes during middle school and most of high school. kinda stopped playing for a while, but got back into it during UCLA when i stumbled upon the chess club. it was funny because i saw some young teenage kid teaching the class. turns out he was some sort of prodigy from the midwest named Luke Harmon-Vellotti. dont think he went pro though, last i heard he was pursuing computer science stuff

since then i kinda go through phases of being very into chess, keeping up with some chess youtube channels, playing some online... and then phases where i lose interest. admittedly after watching the Queens Gambit netflix series i've been back into it, though im probably nowhere near as good as i was 7-8 years ago. still, its a fun game to follow major tournaments and whatnot

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    What's your elo / USCF / FIDE rating?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs