My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?Ga...0Shot&sct=plot

Lonnie missed it, but this play is an example of what we lacked last year.

The defense is getting a lot of credit and justifiably so— guys are younger, more agile, and more committed on that end this year. But the offense is starting to look great, too, with actual sets that are run and designed to give guys good looks. It’s becoming more frequent as the season goes on, probably as a result of familiarity with one another and where they like to take their shots.

One wonders if it’s also due to the personnel we have on offense:

Instead of relying on one Australian shooter to run around screens and pray his shot goes in, now we have two shooters on the floor setting screens for one another and getting open.

Instead of one old vet with brick feet who loves to play ISO off the bench all the time, we have players coming off the bench who are willing to exert energy trying to get good looks for each other instead of themselves.

Instead of the ball getting sticky on offense because all the Spurs did last year was pass to a former All-Star and let him go to work until there’s 4 seconds left on the clock, now they actually have more players touch the ball and they alternate ball handling duties between guards who are selfless.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 12-05-2021 at 07:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beautiful indeed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a pretty good play that exploited GS's attempt at aggressive defense. I've been calling for the Spurs to run more actual plays for a couple of years now rather than relying on the amoeba system where everyone was running into the teeth of the defense. Doing that is a good way to keep Walker involved, and it will make McD more deadly while giving Forbes some use as well. Plays can and have also giving guys like Poeltl and Young opportunities near the basket, though those aren't usually intended to finish that way. Once you start stringing plays as options, then you start having viable sets to run. That's how you get the BG offense, though the guys will also have to get better at scoring in general before running plays to get the balls in specific spots becomes a big win for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?Ga...0Shot&sct=plot

Lonnie missed it, but this play is an example of what we lacked last year.

It’s nice to see that when the other team screws up and misses their defensive assignments the Spurs can get a shot off. Yay.

Are you sure that a clip of Lonnie hoisting a clank, after a defensive screwup, is truly the best illustration for your argument?

Got any clips of the Spurs making a shot, when they do something right? There must be a few clips like that around. I mean, the Spurs do make a shot now and then y’know.

Also, that defensive flub did not happen because the Spurs run a better offense this year. It happened because the Warriors were a more worried about McDermott than Lonnie. Oh, it was a clever play to use Lonnie like that, with hopes of getting him open. But he missed. Which is exactly why the Warriors were more worried about McDermott.

And might as well mention, while we’re here, that Australian you’re trying to denigrate is leading the NBA in 3pt percentage at the moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Oh Lord I’m not getting into an argument with you. Leads to absolutely nothing and is a total waste of time. FutureMan knows

when you come to argue just to argue, it’s 100% pointless
    Last edited by Dejounte; 12-05-2021 at 09:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Oh Lord I’m not getting into an argument with you. Leads to absolutely nothing and is a total waste of time. FutureMan knows

ROFL!!

You’re too lazy to find a clip of the Spurs making a shot!

You’re funny.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wise words. Sums up Spurstalk in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely more fun than anything we’ve put on the floor the previous three years!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the backup plan was if both Warriors defenders didn't go with McD.

I'll assume the play was designed that way, it was too well orchestrated to be pickup-style ball. As such OP's premise is solid. Poeltl was ready and set a screen for McD which would have resulted in a wide open three if #2 on the Warriors had stayed with Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense still looked unorganized in the 4th with no semblance of knowing what to do. However, they didn't give up and finally got a few shots to fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t they go like 7 minutes without a field goal? Why is this being posted now? Should be posted after a game we actually did well offensively in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t they go like 7 minutes without a field goal? Why is this being posted now? Should be posted after a game we actually did well offensively in
    Why? It was nice to see a well-run play in this offense. I don't know how closely you've been watching, but it hasn't been a very common sight over the past few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to pay attention to what’s being said and what’s not being said. Not everything has to be a blanket statement. A single play being run this season is still an improvement over zero plays run last year. And if anyone has been watching the games, they would know there’s been more than one instance. It’s actually a vast improvement. But of course, people only focus on the fourth quarter as if that’s what I’m referring to. No. Of course the defense is going to tighten up and they won’t be able to run the plays they want to run. It’s nuance like this that people ignore and are too lazy to use critical thinking skills for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offensive ball movement has certainly improved

The lapses are still pretty bad but our defense has potential to help us stay afloat during those lapses

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good lord, I can’t believe jeffduncan typed that whole thing just to bring nothing to the table. You’re right, don’t waste your time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to pay attention to what’s being said and what’s not being said. Not everything has to be a blanket statement. A single play being run this season is still an improvement over zero plays run last year. And if anyone has been watching the games, they would know there’s been more than one instance. It’s actually a vast improvement. But of course, people only focus on the fourth quarter as if that’s what I’m referring to. No. Of course the defense is going to tighten up and they won’t be able to run the plays they want to run. It’s nuance like this that people ignore and are too lazy to use critical thinking skills for.
    I understand all of that. Here’s my question though. Has our offense really improved? It’s different. It’s nothing like the pst years of all iso ball midrange stuff. But has it really improved? I grew up watching iso ball so I never really complained about it too much. But we are last in 3 point makes and free throw makes. We are only averaging 107 a game too. Yes our assists are up but idk if that’s a good thing or a bad thing or somewhere in between. Where I really see the improvement offensively is in fast break points. We are actually getting out and running. That’s been a big improvement.

Yes we are running plays and we are running sets. But that only applies to part of the game. Not the whole. In the 4th you need a go to scorer. You just do. I have no idea wtf is happening to us in the 3rd quarter where we are drop off a cliff and are bottom 7 in the league. So yes I agree the offense is different, sets are being run, people are touching the ball.
    but is it really better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely more fun than anything we’ve put on the floor the previous three years!
    This! The last few seasons got stale with Derozan dribbling, driving into other team's defence, faking and taking a shot or passing.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do we define well offensively? The warrior has an average of DRtg of 100.9 leading the league and we manage to get 116.1 ORtg in this game, is our offense bad in this game? Yes we have a period where we fail to score but we also have 3 quarters of over 30 points didn't we? The warriors also hold 10 teams below 100 points this season and we manage 112.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do we define well offensively? The warrior has an average of DRtg of 100.9 leading the league and we manage to get 116.1 ORtg in this game, is our offense bad in this game? Yes we have a period where we fail to score but we also have 3 quarters of over 30 points didn't we? The warriors also hold 10 teams below 100 points this season and we manage 112.
    That is true. I was just effing with Dejounte bc it's so fun to do. Dude is about to have an aneurysm

The warriors game is about the best we can realistically be on offense. We took and made more 3s than usual, more free throws than usual, and still kept up the ball movement and assists. If we can keep up this type of play then yes I agree the offense as a whole would be better than last year.

The problem lies that these types of games are rare and inbewteen. I understand the concept of what is being spoken here. Having sets, people moving around with actual purpose, everybody touching the ball and feeling like they are a part of the game. But has this truly led to better offense? It's different. It's peak might be better overall, but the numbers don't suggest that it's any better than years past. Our efficiency is down, our 3 point makes still suck and our free throw makes/takes suck too. I think the offense kinda sucks this year tbh. Even if it is more fun to watch

The big difference from last year to this year is our fast break points. Who knew that youth like to get up and run the ball in transition? But that really has nothing to do with set offense.

Thread Information