Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Thad is really going to be a problem, the Spurs should definitely release him. The most important thing isn't their rep with other players. It's chemistry. You want the young guys playing well and learning how to play together. If they have a malcontent, it's not worth a ty second-rounder just to stick it to him. As a rebuilding team, they're going to be buying more guys out and running through roster spots just as much as they're going to be bringing new prospects and cutting/trading some guys who still have potential. It's normal. The Spurs can't win the Kawhi situation again by changing their at ude with Thad. The real solution is playing him and either keeping him or dealing him if the value is there. But if that's not a viable option, get what you can that doesn't cause pain, and let him go. Or just let him go. It's fine.
    fwiw he does seem to have good on-court chemistry with the guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the weird thing to me. It's not like he is buried on the bench...he's become the first big off the bench after Poeltl, which is exactly where he should be. His minutes are actually increasing as the season goes on and he learns the system, and he's been helping to produce wins.

I understand being upset about Chicago trading him and having to move his life and going from a team that is currently successful (Chicago) to the Spurs who are rebuilding...but that's the business.

Maybe this is all just smoke, and more playing time will placate him. If not, shut up and do your damn job, you are still getting paid and getting played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't blame him and figure the FO is waiting until a contender realizes they need him, some big goes down. Problem is only four teams appear to be contenders at this point -- PHX, GSW, Brooklyn, and Chicago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't blame him and figure the FO is waiting until a contender realizes they need him, some big goes down. Problem is only four teams appear to be contenders at this point -- PHX, GSW, Brooklyn, and Chicago.
    We can always hope for LeBron's annual fit to make trades so that he can try to re-stack the deck.

Unfortunately, the Lakers don't have much in the way of assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah how dare he play and just make millions

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about which teams really are contenders, it's about which teams think they could be contenders. That adds teams like the Sixers, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat, Hawks, and maybe even the Celtics to the list. Delusion knows few limits.

Some of those teams don't have firsts to trade but there could still be a possible deal.

I'd add the Bucks to the actual contender list too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew this for a while now. I remember reading an article a few days ago in which Thad stated he wasn't happy about the playing time he has received this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the weird thing to me. It's not like he is buried on the bench...he's become the first big off the bench after Poeltl, which is exactly where he should be. His minutes are actually increasing as the season goes on and he learns the system, and he's been helping to produce wins.

I understand being upset about Chicago trading him and having to move his life and going from a team that is currently successful (Chicago) to the Spurs who are rebuilding...but that's the business.

Maybe this is all just smoke, and more playing time will placate him. If not, shut up and do your damn job, you are still getting paid and getting played.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the podcast was recorded a few days ago, before the last two games where Pop gave Young a solid role. As I've mentioned before, I believe Eubanks was going to be the first big off the bench for the Spurs against Portland, given that he is from the area. Prior to that, Young was getting minutes split with Drew, where he'd only play 10ish a game as a change-of-pace big or if someone got foul trouble.

I don't actually agree about the chemistry in these recent games. Young is trying to do too much, and the sense that I got is that his teammates are a little less happy with him as they were when Poeltl was out and both Eubanks and Young played. Thad has a high BBIQ, but the thing that made him fit in so well was that he had patience and was very unselfish. The Young that's gotten the nod recently isn't that guy. He's been much closer to someone like Joff than he was to Diaw. He could do some interesting things with the ball, but he got into trouble trying to make plays when he wasn't in a good position to do so. I haven't been happy at all with Young over this stretch, and I was one of the people pounding hardest on the table to put him in the rotation. I hope tomorrow he plays more in control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The likelihood spurs getting a 1st rounder was unlikely to begin with. He is a backup 5 at the end of the day. It's more likely spurs get a 1st because they are taking back salary rather than trading fit young. Don't get your hopes up to high spurstalk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No big time attractive free agent destination like either LA team or Brooklyn or Miami is likely to give up anything for him because they are sure to realize they can get him for free in a buyout.

No contender either like Phoenix or Milwaukee. IF Milwaukee thought Brook Lopez had a career ending surgery then maybe they'd want Young as a way to cut salary off next year but the initial word is that it's not career threatening.

That's why it would be someone like Minnesota as I mentioned in the other thread or Sacramento, teams desperate for the playoffs who could use help at the back up big spot. Or maybe Boston if they wanted off Richardson even though there's not much room for playing time if a Williams and Horrors are healthy, or Indiana, maybe in a three teame where they got off of Turner or Sabonis. They're not desperate to make the playoffs but Young did do well there so maybe if they were getting primarily draft compensation for Turbonis maybe he'd be desirable to make up part of the salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice click bait le dverde u got a career in journalism in front of u...its true it's not ideal as he'd like to be on contender but after last win who knows what we're capable of

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So big-time attractive free-agent destinations make in-season trades for vets on expiring contracts with some frequency. They can't all get Young, and some of them have contracts they'd like to get rid to get more value out of the deal. I don't think a first is realistic either unless like with the Phoenix deal often propose, the Spurs are eating a lot of bad money. The Spurs can also use Young as buoyant filler in a deal, even if they can't extract good value directly. If the Spurs win tomorrow, they'll be heading to a point where they might become legit buyers this season. If Young somehow still wants out in that scenarios, the ability to offer a good expiring will beat a lot of other potential buyers who just have bad contracts for matching

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Thad is really going to be a problem, the Spurs should definitely release him... just let him go. It's fine.
    They've done it before, too. Anybody remember Ron Mercer's illustrious time with the Black & Silver?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too bad ... i really prefer playing him over Drew

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An interesting team that could use Thad is Atlanta. They have the fake OKC first, which turns into two probably good seconds and they have the contracts to make a deal work.

Dude should really stfu though. Get your agent working the phones and play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think the Spurs have plan to trade him in pre-season. He is probably filling in until Landale or Zollins is ready to play.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we don't have to wait for contenders just teams trying to shed salary like Houston can trade for Young with Woods and sign a free agent they fancy next off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad has mentioned he was shocked by the trade,and didn't expect or want to be in San Antonio . Id be surprised as well if spurs dont just buy him out. They definitely shouldn't but it wont surprise anyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think the Spurs have plan to trade him in pre-season. He is probably filling in until Landale or Zollins is ready to play.
    This is my thought on this matter as well. Since Collins is injured, and won't be available until after Christmas, Young has been good insurance for the bigs just in case an injury to a big, or a big goes into COVID protocols. Eubanks is okay, and Lansdale is new to the system and unproven by PATFO standards. So a savvy veteran in Thad, who seemed to be a ram in the bush, seems to be working out thus far. Zollins will need to get into playing form, and if he pans out by February, then it's possible that the Spurs end up either trading him, depending what they can get on return, or just buy out his contract if his trade value isn't there. Time will tell...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp, there goes his trade value. Every team knows he wants out ,and is disgruntled. Gonna be near impossible to nab a 1st rnd pick now

Domt blame him tbh. He spent the first two months playing behind drew ewwbanks
    Yeah but if he gets bought out he gets to pick where he goes, if a team really wants him they can trade for him before another team does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not anything new and the backlash is unwarranted. He has been saying the current situation is not ideal but he understands the franchise is rebuilding and focusing on the youth so he will continue to be in game shape and ready when his card is called. Additionally, when they traded for him this summer it was made public he and PATFO had an agreement regarding his future as a Spur. When the media asks him how he feels about his current role and career lows in minutes played what do you expect him to say?

Despite the logjam at both the 5 and the 2 PATFO is very unlikely to make a trade IMO. Thad will be bought out when they realize the whole NBA is not offering any value to rent Thad. This is PATFOs own fault for setting a ridiculous precedent of player first buyouts.

Here is the scenario analysis of likely outcomes in my opinion:

A. Thad is a trade chip in a larger package for usable talent - 15%
    B. Thad is traded for a FRP and a bad contract (the FRP is in part compensation for taking on a bad contract like Kevin Love) - 15%
    C. He is bought out when no real market materializes - 50%
    D. He finishes the year as a contributing bench player of it looks like we may be in the playoff hunt - 20%
    Last edited by KingKev; 12-06-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was the inevitable situation unless we either prioritized him or traded him. Like, why was he stuck behind Eubanks, especially when we quickly realized that Eubanks hadn’t made any “leap” and wasn’t committed to shooting threes? Also, he was always a trade chip. Sounds like he said the quiet part out loud.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about which teams really are contenders, it's about which teams think they could be contenders. That adds teams like the Sixers, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat, Hawks, and maybe even the Celtics to the list. Delusion knows few limits.

Some of those teams don't have firsts to trade but there could still be a possible deal.

I'd add the Bucks to the actual contender list too.
    True and a few teams might be desperate JUST to get into the playoffs like Sacramento and maybe even the T-Wolves. I’d be happy with something like Young and Walker for Prince, Bolmaro, and some kind of draft compensation.

Id also really want to do a trade like this so that way, when we have our franchise player, it is easy to leapfrog over those teams again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The endless string of vets asking out of sa continues. I thought vets loved playing here? Tf happened?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The endless string of vets asking out of sa continues. I thought vets loved playing here? Tf happened?!
    They liked it when we were a lock for the playoffs every season and they had a shot at a ring.

All those guys I previously mentioned started asking out when the Spurs fell off.

People seem to underestimate how compe ive these guys are. I know San Antonio needs a good draft pick, but the players are never going to be happy losing games. That's especially true for vets who are in their prime or past it, and see the clock ticking on their career.

Thread Information