Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The headline sounds alarmist, but the perspective taken is not. Habitat destruction, genetic geneity and declining fertility are usual predicates of extinction.

Mammal species tend to come and go rather rapidly, appearing, flourishing and disappearing in a million years or so. The fossil record indicates that sapiens has been around for 315,000 years or so, but for most of that time, the species was rare—so rare, in fact, that it came close to extinction, perhaps more than once. Thus were sown the seeds of humanity’s doom: the current population has grown, very rapidly, from something much smaller. The result is that, as a species, H. sapiens is extraordinarily samey. There is more genetic variationin a few troupes of wild chimpanzees than in the entire human population. Lack of genetic variation is never good for species survival.

What is more, over the past few decades, the quality of human sperm has declined massively, possibly leading to lower birth rats, for reasons nobody is really sure about. Pollution—a by-product of human degradation of the environment—is one possible factor. Another might be stress, which, I suggest, could be triggered by living in close proximity to other people for a long period. For most of human evolution, people rode light on the land, living in scattered bands. The habit of living in cities, practically on top of one another (literally so, in an apartment block) is a very recent habit.

Another reason for the downturn in population growth is economic. Politicians strive for relentless economic growth, but this is not sustainable in a world where resources are finite. H. sapiens already sequesters between 25 and 40 percent of net primary productivity—that is, the organic matter that plants create out of air, water and sunshine. As well as being bad news for the millions of other species on our planet that rely on this matter, such sequestration might be having deleterious effects on human economic prospects. People nowadays have to work harder and longer to maintain the standards of living enjoyed by their parents, if such standards are even obtainable. Indeed, there is growing evidence that economic productivity has stalled or even declined globally in the past 20 years. One result could be that people are putting off having children, perhaps so long that their own fertility starts to decline.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...to-go-extinct/
    Henry Gee is a paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and editor at Nature. His latest book is A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth (St. Martin’s Press, 2021).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean...it's not that hard to fathom. I guess the question is can we get enough people/embryos elsewhere before we're done on Earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean...it's not that hard to fathom. I guess the question is can we get enough people/embryos elsewhere before we're done on Earth.
    Where would we emigrate to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would we emigrate to?
    Where would we go to that we would not up?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I think its funny that people think that "intelligent" life must exist elsewhere.
    Look what "intelligent" life can do: Have some grand design with the illusion we can control things and then we royally screw up.
    We have been quite good at making other things go extinct, why not just poison ourselves for comfort.
    Then, but, but... not intelligent like us... intelligent like what? Intelligent enough to not try and mess with everything for comfort or some illusion of grandeur.

Our type of evolutionary path resulting in what we call intelligence may be the one way road to a dead end and more likely extinction.
    Evolution does not select for "intelligence". Like we are some grand planned endpoint for evolution....

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most of us know this we just ignore it. Humans offer nothing. They just consume. I'm willing to be NASA has a whole top secret wing dedicated to finding us a place to relocate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Creator will intervene.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would we go to that we would not up?
    Well then, stay behind. No one will miss you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, we are doomed to inevitable extinction. So what? Not in our lifetimes or anytime where our descendants would be cognizant of our existence.

And, for every person who hates the animalistic behaviors of our species and who claim we're gonna up wherever (if) we end up next...how many of those people with all their self-loathing would stay behind in the s and drizzle we left behind for morality purposes? Not. A. Single. One.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

Matthew 24:6

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    relying on your imaginary friend to save you

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

Matthew 24:6
    Please, just stop. You're trying to "troll" on a posting board using religion to "get back" at others who chased your main login off the board. You're a terrible Christian at best and a dishonest heathen incapable of carrying out your word, at face value.

The world should have ended several times based on the word of the good book. White folk ruined Christianity because a fat King in Europe didn't like the rules he originally played by. Amazing how much Protestants have in common with the people they have beefs with in modern times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, we are doomed to inevitable extinction. So what? Not in our lifetimes or anytime where our descendants would be cognizant of our existence.
    I used think it would take a few centuries for our civilization to poot itself out, now I think it might be spiritual vanity to assume that the end is NOT near.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please, just stop. You're trying to "troll" on a posting board using religion to "get back" at others who chased your main login off the board. You're a terrible Christian at best and a dishonest heathen incapable of carrying out your word, at face value.

The world should have ended several times based on the word of the good book. White folk ruined Christianity because a fat King in Europe didn't like the rules he originally played by. Amazing how much Protestants have in common with the people they have beefs with in modern times.
    As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him
    - us 3:10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The headline sounds alarmist, but the perspective taken is not. Habitat destruction, genetic geneity and declining fertility are usual predicates of extinction.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...to-go-extinct/

We need to let earth and mother nature fluorish without the bacteria that is the human being.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw a prediction that China would collapse in 2050 due captilogenic global warming destroying China's ability to feed itself

Maybe China sees the same and so is buying up ag land in Africa, not that Africa has tons water to feed itself.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can certainly see why the author is convinced the end is near

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article is ing stupid. For one, WH's selective editing left out another reason for declining birth rates: "An additional factor in the shrinking rate of population growth is something that can only be regarded as entirely welcome and long overdue: the economic, reproductive and political emancipation of women." Second, claiming humanity will die because of overpopulaiton and limited resources contradicts claiming that humanity will die because of declining birth rates. Third, Dennis Nedry doesn't provide any analysis of the technology and how that has improved life expectancy over the course of the past 100,000 years. This is lazy alarmist bull .

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will not go extinct. There is no god. The human mind is all superior and humanity will not only survive and persevere but thrive and expand. The anti-human left just continues to show their true selves. Humanity is good, not evil. Stop it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article is ing stupid. For one, WH's selective editing left out another reason for declining birth rates: "An additional factor in the shrinking rate of population growth is something that can only be regarded as entirely welcome and long overdue: the economic, reproductive and political emancipation of women." Second, claiming humanity will die because of overpopulaiton and limited resources contradicts claiming that humanity will die because of declining birth rates. Third, Dennis Nedry doesn't provide any analysis of the technology and how that has improved life expectancy over the course of the past 100,000 years. This is lazy alarmist bull .
    I quit reading when the author claimed lack of genetic variation as a reason we are doomed and his own link to a chimpanzee study proved his deliberate dishonesty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him
    - us 3:10
    Oh is this the reason that Twitter banned you det one time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if we're gonna become extinct it'll be because we'll have global warmed ourselves to death.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't hide the link, I quoted what stood out for me.

Reading is fundamental, nothing up my sleeve. A pull quote is just that.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I quit reading when the author claimed lack of genetic variation as a reason we are doomed and his own link to a chimpanzee study proved his deliberate dishonesty.
    I did not read the article.
    but what I posted I absolutely believe but cant prove.

Its not that we are BAD in a moral way.
    Its that we with stuff in a big way before we understand it fully if it even can be fully understood.
    The impact we have had on the planet is such a short time period from the industrial revolution is comet scale.
    Its not like its a big deal, and not like its good or bad. It is what it is. I believe we are a short term species relative to the real winners which are much simpler organisms. Complexity in living things means you dont survive big changes in the environment around you. The evolutionary record is pretty clear on this way before we were around. We are the only organisms that even worry about this . Which is in turn the really fascinating thing about us.

And we are the ones that make the morality up. So there is that. I believe its based on some sound reasoning for getting along with other social animals. So theres that...
    Last edited by pgardn; 12-06-2021 at 07:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh is this the reason that Twitter banned you det one time?
    Genesis 2:24: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

Thread Information