My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a lot of picks, go for it !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a lot of picks, go for it !
    We’re taking on a chunk of useless salary this year in Saric, and if his recovery mirrors DJs from his ACL, he won’t be very good next year. Also not a fan of Smith, and neither are the Suns. They declined his year 3 option after one season of play. If you think of this as a salary dump for them, the picks make sense, and the deal shouldn’t be done without them.

Thread le is also misleading. This is some internet goobers throwing spaghetti at the wall.

ESPN draws path for Suns to acquire Spurs’ Thaddeus Young in trade

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you do that trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is out for the season because of his ACL injury. The Spurs already have a big who’s on medical rehab, they don’t need another one.

Jalen Smith was a high draft pick, in 2020, but he’s hardly played. Statistically, his shooting looks like trash, but the stats are so skimpy you can’t tell. For the Spurs he’d be instant G league fodder, just to see if he might have anything to offer.

That trade idea is basically a way for the Suns to dump their unwanted junk on a gullible sucker. Paging Brian Wright.

The draft picks are of some interest, however, this is another covid year. Players can be held out on the protocols. Draft picks are no good for fortifying current rosters. The covid situation diminishes the value of draft picks in relation to active players, especially when teams are looking toward a playoff run this year.

It isn’t good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is out for the season because of his ACL injury. The Spurs already have a big who’s on medical rehab, they don’t need another one.

Jalen Smith was a high draft pick, in 2020, but he’s hardly played. Statistically, his shooting looks like trash, but the stats are so skimpy you can’t tell. For the Spurs he’d be instant G league fodder, just to see if he might have anything to offer.

That trade idea is basically a way for the Suns to dump their unwanted junk on a gullible sucker. Paging Brian Wright.

The draft picks are of some interest, however, this is another covid year. Players can be held out on the protocols. Draft picks are no good for fortifying current rosters. The covid situation diminishes the value of draft picks in relation to active players, especially when teams are looking toward a playoff run this year.

It isn’t good enough.
    Spurs are 100% vaxxed, and we’ve only had one player go on protocols, so, at least 15 players, including our two 2ways, available for almost every game, barring a couple of minor injuries. Not really a consideration for us, in spite of the fact that 50 NBA players have gone into protocols this month. A bigger consideration would be two players, Zollins and Saric, unable to play. Supposedly, Zollins should be ready in some vaguely specified period of time known as After Christmas.

If they were truly offering this, I’d have to take a long look. I don’t believe they are, though. Probably offering one or two seconds. That first would have to be lightly protected, too. Maybe 1-10 in 2024, 1-8 in 2025, top4 in 2026 and 2027, then two seconds.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric might be interesting next year but is dead money this year. Worse than Zollins, at least that guy has a chance to play this season.

Smith is a reclamation project, sad for a player his age. He plays the position the Spurs are thin at but he's not very good. According to Hoopshype's team salary page he's a UFA after this season, so even if he blows up the Spurs would have to pay up to keep him and wouldn't have RFA matching rights. That makes Smith a much harder sell for me.

Top-8 is about the least protection the Spurs can expect on a 2024 first, and the 2025 second has the potential to be good because Paul will likely be out of the league or have gone severely downhill by then.

The Spurs would also have to send out a second player so they don't hit yet another roster crunch. I don't know if adding Forbes pushes the trade beyond acceptable salary limits; Saric + Smith is $13M, Young + Forbes is $18.9M. That could also push Phoenix into the tax, and if it does the deal's off. The alternative is to take Forbes out of the deal and just waive him afterwards instead. I guess that would work. If Forbes were somehow on the roster after this trade I will ing scream.

Overall it's a meh deal. Cashing in the Spurs' most valuable trade chip for that package would be disappointing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric might be interesting next year but is dead money this year. Worse than Zollins, at least that guy has a chance to play this season.

Smith is a reclamation project, sad for a player his age. He plays the position the Spurs are thin at but he's not very good. According to Hoopshype's team salary page he's a UFA after this season, so even if he blows up the Spurs would have to pay up to keep him and wouldn't have RFA matching rights. That makes Smith a much harder sell for me.

Top-8 is about the least protection the Spurs can expect on a 2024 first, and the 2025 second has the potential to be good because Paul will likely be out of the league or have gone severely downhill by then.

The Spurs would also have to send out a second player so they don't hit yet another roster crunch. I don't know if adding Forbes pushes the trade beyond acceptable salary limits; Saric + Smith is $13M, Young + Forbes is $18.9M. That could also push Phoenix into the tax, and if it does the deal's off. The alternative is to take Forbes out of the deal and just waive him afterwards instead. I guess that would work. If Forbes were somehow on the roster after this trade I will ing scream.

Overall it's a meh deal. Cashing in the Spurs' most valuable trade chip for that package would be disappointing.
    Smith is salary ballast. The interesting thing is, that if he were to blow up, we have cap-room next summer. Not likely, though. I’m wondering if the Spurs are waiting on Zollins health evaluation to move on trades for Young. I don’t think PHO wants any other players, but if Zollins were to check out, you could waive one of KBD or Eubanks, as neither is due guaranteed money after this season. Smith and Zollins could absorb those bench and garbage time minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's only worth it if they cough up a 1st. Without a 1st rounder, no combo of Saric and Smith is worth trading Young for imho, rather just let him walk at the end of the season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Smith during draft process, he did'nt pan out , and now we have Collins ( we'll see if he'll be healty) who is a better version of him. Saric will kill us 9 million of our cap space. Smith is a FA and you need to cut a player.

I really think that's not a good deal for us, the only good thing is the pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could have nearly 20 millions of cap, with saric it will only be 10-11 millions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't we heard this bs before?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't we heard this bs before?
    from last summer to today lol

I really think that Phoenix wants this trade but SA with the Saric Contract, the lack of interest for smith with Collins, the need of cutting a player is not too inclined to do it.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could have nearly 20 millions of cap, with saric it will only be 10-11 millions.
    we can have 100M in cap and you know they would be spending it on .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep....definitely do that iteration of the trade... Saric could be usable next year. Even though he's recovering his game doesn't rely on athleticism as much as someone like DJ and even if he's not useable moving him as an expiringwon't be difficult. Smith has a chance to show he belongs this season and if he fails you move on... really like this trade idea...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hasn't this deal been on the table from the beginning?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith is salary ballast. The interesting thing is, that if he were to blow up, we have cap-room next summer. Not likely, though. I’m wondering if the Spurs are waiting on Zollins health evaluation to move on trades for Young. I don’t think PHO wants any other players, but if Zollins were to check out, you could waive one of KBD or Eubanks, as neither is due guaranteed money after this season. Smith and Zollins could absorb those bench and garbage time minutes.
    The Spurs would have Smith's Bird rights so cap space wouldn't be an issue in retaining him. It would eat into space for other free agents, but if the Spurs are willing to eat Saric's salary for next year then I think they wouldn't care too much about 2022 cap space.

Waiving KBD or Eubanks might make more basketball sense, but I really want Forbes off the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from last summer to today lol

I really think that Phoenix wants this trade but SA with the Saric Contract, the lack of interest for smith with Collins, the need of cutting a player is not too inclined to do it.

yea,seems the future first is the only reason to consider it. Since phoenix will still have booker/ayton that will definitely be a late first. Still probably best pick they could acquire for thaddeus. Its not a great deal but definitely not terrible i guess

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would have Smith's Bird rights so cap space wouldn't be an issue in retaining him. It would eat into space for other free agents, but if the Spurs are willing to eat Saric's salary for next year then I think they wouldn't care too much about 2022 cap space.

Waiving KBD or Eubanks might make more basketball sense, but I really want Forbes off the team.
    I’m thinking KBD or Eubanks could be part of the Young trade.

As for Forbes there are contenders that should be interested. If he doesn’t get traded maybe he can pass Leonard on the Spurs top 10 3 pointers made list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This proposed deal has come up a few times and i'm not a fan. the only upside is we'd be getting two PFs and that is clearly our weakest position but the guys we'd be trading for havent proven to be starting level guys anyway.

Like i said before, unless we can get them to cough up a 1st rounder, its not worth it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, its not good but would it be better then just letting him walk for nothing? This team has been doing that lately and we could at least get some picks to work with.

However those pics would be just to Improve the Austin team of course lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, its not good but would it be better then just letting him walk for nothing? This team has been doing that lately and we could at least get some picks to work with.

However those pics would be just to Improve the Austin team of course lol
    How is that not a good trade? The picks alone make it good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is that not a good trade? The picks alone make it good.
    No, I agree that the pick would be pretty enticing, but I was just looking at it as a whole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a way we can get Sabonis, Sun's get Thad, an Pacers get Keldon, Saric, an a pick or something?

Thread Information