Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers is 59 years old and has 1011 wins. He is the one with the best chance to overtake Pop.
    He will. And then Steve Kerr, who is only 56 and already has over 400 wins, could potentially overtake both in 15+ years if he continues to coach good teams, which he will.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t mind Kerr beating it, but Rivers is the most overrated coach in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10661127[/URL]]Doc Rivers is 59 years old and has 1011 wins. He is the one with the best chance to overtake Pop.
    Doc is close to getting fired again. This might be his last chance. League is getting tired of him. I always that Spolstra would pass Pop. Started out young and just got to another finals. His job seems pretty safe right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GS players are all in their 30s now. Won’t last long, maybe 4-5 years, and then they’ll have to rebuild. Even if they average 60 wins for 5 seasons, that’s only 300 wins before a hard reset.
    Then it will be time for a change of scenery for Kerr.

So obviously he will then come to SA to coach Primo and Vassell to multiple Chips, tbh.

But seriously, I don't see Kerr sticking around in GS during rebuild years. I think some team with championship aspirations might lure him out of GS. Unless their recent high draft picks turn out to be good enough players to keep the party going in GS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will. And then Steve Kerr, who is only 56 and already has over 400 wins, could potentially overtake both in 15+ years if he continues to coach good teams, which he will.
    Kerr seems to have some health issues, and having lots of rings as both a player and coach, I'm not sure he'll have any desire to stick around long enough to break Pop's mark.

Doc, however, is one of those coaches who will probably keep bouncing around for as long as he wants to coach. I could definitely see him coaching long enough to get it done. Philly fires him and some other team will retread him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also interesting how closely Popovich and Pat Riley's coaching resumes compare when you look at their regular wins and %, as well as post season wins and %. Both with 5 Larry O's. Both with 3 COY awards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers could if he keeps going deep into his 60s. Eric Spoelstra has a really good shot. He's been coaching for a long time and is only 51 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9 to tie

10 to be the GOAT!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopeing for a 8-31 record for the rest of the season, with 10 to 15 game losing streak at the end, just to extend poop's misery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s going to be close. The rest of the schedule is no joke. 5 wins looks doable. Anything more than that would be surprising.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was this win over Houston Pops greatest coaching job in the last 5 years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s going to be close. The rest of the schedule is no joke. 5 wins looks doable. Anything more than that would be surprising.
    Uh, this is kinda nonsense. The SPurs should easily win 10 more games this year.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, this is kinda nonsense. The SPurs should easily win 10 more games this year.
    Yeah, you’re right. I missed some games when I was looking at the schedule. They should win 10 games. I wouldn’t say easily though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With losses this season to dedicated supertankers Detroit and Houston are you sure?

Altho Pop is absolutely on fire the past 6 games.
    3-3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring huge injuries, they will win 10 fairly easily. They still have 2 games against the Rockets, 2 against OKC, 3 against the Pelicans, 3 against the Trailblazers and there are other weak teams in there too like the Pacers and Wizards. Plus they'll win a few against much better teams. Spurs are currently at .375 with 34 games left which means they'd have to play WORSE than their current record in order to finish with fewer than 10 wins the rest of the way. That's very unlikely given the Spurs record is already underperforming given the Spurs stats. They'd have to basically go under .300 the rest of the season and yeah, that's not going to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I counted 12 wins including the Bulls visiting this Friday missing some of its players. If it’s close would the opponent team give the game to Pops out of respect or would they play extra hard to be a spoiler? I know against record breaking players, teams tend to play extra hard and not be in the record books. How about the team Spurs beat to get the winningest coach?
    Last edited by John B; 01-26-2022 at 01:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring huge injuries, they will win 10 fairly easily. They still have 2 games against the Rockets, 2 against OKC, 3 against the Pelicans, 3 against the Trailblazers and there are other weak teams in there too like the Pacers and Wizards. Plus they'll win a few against much better teams. Spurs are currently at .375 with 34 games left which means they'd have to play WORSE than their current record in order to finish with fewer than 10 wins the rest of the way. That's very unlikely given the Spurs record is already underperforming given the Spurs stats. They'd have to basically go under .300 the rest of the season and yeah, that's not going to happen.
    Man I felt really confident until you pretty much guaranteed he'd get the record. WC 2014 flashbacks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With losses this season to dedicated supertankers Detroit and Houston are you sure?

Altho Pop is absolutely on fire the past 6 games.
    3-3.
    Well, they also won games on the road against the clearly rebuilding Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors, make sure to include those in your calculations.
    The team isn't great, but really, they will go 7-26 in their last games? I don't see it, and even if they manage to end the season without getting Pop the record, they will at least get a pretty high draft pick out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are underperforming their net rating. Bbref says that their expected record should be 23-24.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't give a about this...just ing tank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, they also won games on the road against the clearly rebuilding Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors, make sure to include those in your calculations.
    The team isn't great, but really, they will go 7-26 in their last games? I don't see it, and even if they manage to end the season without getting Pop the record, they will at least get a pretty high draft pick out of it.
    Good points. But Pop had his star Bryn Forbes against the Bucks then again a few weeks later with Bryns D helping lock down Curry in a win at Golden State.
    I'm waiting for some Spurs Insiders to give us the real story on what came down with Pop n Bryn.

This 1st half of the season has been Pops first to work with McDermot.
    If anyone could pull out some development it's Pop, so i will not be surprised if he gets the record this season.
    But as you noted, we will get a higher pick yet if he does not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also interesting how closely Popovich and Pat Riley's coaching resumes compare when you look at their regular wins and %, as well as post season wins and %. Both with 5 Larry O's. Both with 3 COY awards.
    Yeah but Riley repeated

Thread Information