Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So got an oculus quest 2 as gift. Is it any good or shud I return for a steam vr???

Money is no object

Been testing the quest 2 and so far not super impressed. Is the video quality on 360 youtubes supposed to be this ty?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best VR headset in the market right now. Only knock is that you need a Facebook account to use it.

Enjoy, it’s a solid piece of hardware.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For videos, I think they have a better collection internally, but I couldn’t tell you what the app name was. It is streaming though, so you might need a top notch internet connection or link it to your pc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man. Probably its my florida ISP which sucks donkey balls.

Ill try it on my pretty damn fast connection back home.

I also wi try to connect to my PC at home since my laptop here obviously doesn not measure up.

Appreciate you ma bro

Do u VR? What games are worth it?

Cant wait to play Subnautica at home

I tried playing it on regular monitir and I just get bored.

Rhe VR gotta be amazing tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and I created a bogus face acct for it. No other way to go about that imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought one for one of my sons for Christmas. I've ed around with Blade and Sorcery a little bit, but haven't tried any other apps/games yet. It's pretty fun, but I get super dizzy after ten or fifteen minutes.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm I see you can actually play Half Life Alyx wireless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thing. I tried to buy a game and it tells me to use a mobile app to enter credit card (since I dont wanna enter my info on the headset itself)

The oculus app doesnt seem to work unless you have face app installed

It takes me to a ty 404.type page or hangs forever.

Face is such a company. Making a VR headset that is married to their social gabrqge network

this piece of garbage. Im returning it for a steam VR

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thing. I tried to buy a game and it tells me to use a mobile app to enter credit card (since I dont wanna enter my info on the headset itself)

The oculus app doesnt seem to work unless you have face app installed

It takes me to a ty 404.type page or hangs forever.

Face is such a company. Making a VR headset that is married to their social gabrqge network

this piece of garbage. Im returning it for a steam VR
    ...it right? I was really thinking about getting one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks man. Probably its my florida ISP which sucks donkey balls.

Ill try it on my pretty damn fast connection back home.

I also wi try to connect to my PC at home since my laptop here obviously doesn not measure up.

Appreciate you ma bro

Do u VR? What games are worth it?

Cant wait to play Subnautica at home

I tried playing it on regular monitir and I just get bored.

Rhe VR gotta be amazing tho
    I played with VR right before the pandemic, while helping a studio with a Marvel PSVR le. Everyone at that studio used Occulus headsets on PC for day to day dev, and I have a Quest 1 at the office to do the same. At the time, the les to play were Moss, Beat Saber and The Climb.

At the time, the Quest 1 was basically the only game in town for wireless convenience at a great price and superior to PSVR in almost every facet (fps, camera-less, etc). The Quest 2 improved on that in almost every facet.

However, the Quest 1 didn’t have Face integration, so I didn’t experience all the misery you describe and I’ve read about. SMH.

I’ve been tempted to snag one to check it out but haven’t yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I played with VR right before the pandemic, while helping a studio with a Marvel PSVR le. Everyone at that studio used Occulus headsets on PC for day to day dev, and I have a Quest 1 at the office to do the same. At the time, the les to play were Moss, Beat Saber and The Climb.

At the time, the Quest 1 was basically the only game in town for wireless convenience at a great price and superior to PSVR in almost every facet (fps, camera-less, etc). The Quest 2 improved on that in almost every facet.

However, the Quest 1 didn’t have Face integration, so I didn’t experience all the misery you describe and I’ve read about. SMH.

I’ve been tempted to snag one to check it out but haven’t yet.
    What did you think of The Climb? I almost bought a Quest 2 a few months ago but then held off once I found out Resident Evil 7 VR was a PS VR exclusive. I was really looking forward to Half Life Alyx and The Climb, but without RE7 I figured I'd just wait for PSVR 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...it right? I was really thinking about getting one.
    Yeah. I mean I guess I could enter my credit card details on the headset. But I fear the headset is basically a data mining tool for face and you know their track record on that.

There is an option to create an Oculus account(not face ) and also you could add paypal inst3ad 9f credit card.

I might tryy those I guess.

Everything hangs on how it work with steam VR I guess but gotta wait a few weeks to get back home 5o try 5hat.

Steam vr is like 1k and this is like 300. Seems Steam VR should be far superior huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you think of The Climb? I almost bought a Quest 2 a few months ago but then held off once I found out Resident Evil 7 VR was a PS VR exclusive. I was really looking forward to Half Life Alyx and The Climb, but without RE7 I figured I'd just wait for PSVR 2.
    It’s good, and being Crytek, pretty. But IMO, VR suffers from the same issue as mobile gaming, with some extra challenges.

The fact that you gotta run at 90+ FPS on beefy screen resolution means we gotta do substantial compromises in image quality. You also simply cannot ship a game that dips too much or too often, or it becomes a nausea inducing game.
    Mobile is sort of the same but because GPUs are underpowered and termal throttled all the time.

On VR we now have some newer tech to do better foveated rendering with eye tracking, but the changes to different engines to support it are extensive. DLSS-type of upscaling might also help eventually, but it’s still under heavy research and you need ML hardware available (NV RTX and Apple only at this second). Ray Tracing is almost a no-go there, because it causes frame timings to fluctuate quite a bit right now, so that needs to improve as well (at least ceiling to a worst-case timing).

But controls are really the area that needs some sort of fundamental leap in VR, IMO. There’s a general lack of freedom of movement and the solutions to that at the moment are all not great. That makes creating truly AAA experiences there difficult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s good, and being Crytek, pretty. But IMO, VR suffers from the same issue as mobile gaming, with some extra challenges.

The fact that you gotta run at 90+ FPS on beefy screen resolution means we gotta do substantial compromises in image quality. You also simply cannot ship a game that dips too much or too often, or it becomes a nausea inducing game.
    Mobile is sort of the same but because GPUs are underpowered and termal throttled all the time.

On VR we now have some newer tech to do better foveated rendering with eye tracking, but the changes to different engines to support it are extensive. DLSS-type of upscaling might also help eventually, but it’s still under heavy research and you need ML hardware available (NV RTX and Apple only at this second). Ray Tracing is almost a no-go there, because it causes frame timings to fluctuate quite a bit right now, so that needs to improve as well (at least ceiling to a worst-case timing).

But controls are really the area that needs some sort of fundamental leap in VR, IMO. There’s a general lack of freedom of movement and the solutions to that at the moment are all not great. That makes creating truly AAA experiences there difficult.
    Yeah not impressed on the graphics on VR at all

Its like going back to the early 2000s imo

The immersion is great for about 15 minutes at a time.

Still. Gonna hold off final judgement until I play subnautica and flight simulator....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn you're talking me out of the PSVR 2 already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just found this article saying FB account will no longer be necessary. Although I'm sure there is something that gives FB access to however you do log on.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-quest...n-requirement/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just found this article saying FB account will no longer be necessary. Although I'm sure there is something that gives FB access to however you do log on.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-quest...n-requirement/
    Im sure the oculus wi be reporting everything to face from your games, videos, eye movements, playing styles who knows what other sensors it has.

The more you can avoid using your real iden y with it the better. Why be a cash cow for them and pay them for it???

Use a fake face account or none at all and maybe some burner paypal. Sure they can track you through your IP anyway but it woukd be absolutely harder for them.

They probably figure most lemmings will use their real face accounts and only very few like 10% will actually try to avoid being tracked and sold.

So be that 10% if you must have one tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah not impressed on the graphics on VR at all

Its like going back to the early 2000s imo

The immersion is great for about 15 minutes at a time.

Still. Gonna hold off final judgement until I play subnautica and flight simulator....
    Pretty much. It's fun to around with in short intervals, but VR is still a bit of a gimmick IMO. Like Nono said, there seem to be some pretty substantial hurdles before it can deliver AAA level games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much. It's fun to around with in short intervals, but VR is still a bit of a gimmick IMO. Like Nono said, there seem to be some pretty substantial hurdles before it can deliver AAA level games.
    Agree a bit of a gimmick is a great way to put it

But thats not a terrible thing. The Wii was same and it was a great step forward in gaming

Just played some ty sports VR game with the nephews and they ing loved it.

Good times

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s much better than other gimmicks like 3D TVs (lol who remembers that ?)

But right now the truly fun games are the ones where you are naturally sitting down and/or only require you to move use your upper body. Flight sims, starship games, games like beat saber, rollercoaster sims, potentially video or watching NBA games, etc. If done well, those can be a lot of fun. Heck, I thought what was done for Iron Man VR was pretty great too, except the parts where you have to walk indoors.

It’s funny because people that have played VR often has sort of gotten used to the suckitude of the lack of freedom, but you ask any first time user and that comes up almost immediately no matter how good the game is.

The other issue is that VR really demand immersion. ty geometry, poor lighting, etc all break the level of immersion. That can be fixed though with better hardware and render techniques (UE5 is getting there). So that will get better.

The movement thing though, that will need some sort of leap with perhaps a combination of audio, visuals and controls, something that makes your brain believe you’re moving. I’m not doing VR work right now, but it’s definitely a hard problem to crack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AR is a even bigger gimmick too if you ask me. Just make a visor with a hud and be done with it already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s much better than other gimmicks like 3D TVs (lol who remembers that ?)

But right now the truly fun games are the ones where you are naturally sitting down and/or only require you to move use your upper body. Flight sims, starship games, games like beat saber, rollercoaster sims, potentially video or watching NBA games, etc. If done well, those can be a lot of fun. Heck, I thought what was done for Iron Man VR was pretty great too, except the parts where you have to walk indoors.

It’s funny because people that have played VR often has sort of gotten used to the suckitude of the lack of freedom, but you ask any first time user and that comes up almost immediately no matter how good the game is.

The other issue is that VR really demand immersion. ty geometry, poor lighting, etc all break the level of immersion. That can be fixed though with better hardware and render techniques (UE5 is getting there). So that will get better.

The movement thing though, that will need some sort of leap with perhaps a combination of audio, visuals and controls, something that makes your brain believe you’re moving. I’m not doing VR work right now, but it’s definitely a hard problem to crack.
    Yeah I need to look into some of the apps/games that you can sit down for. Playing something first-person that you have to use the thumbstick to walk feels really wonky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought a PSVR just to play squadrons. It was ing incredible the first time I fired it up because you do get a sense of being immersed in an x wing pit. But to Nonos point, the controllers (and also all the wires and ) were too bersome and I put in maybe 3 hours before putting all that away. You'd have to think that some basic improvements to the controller (which they have planned) and making it wireless would go a long ways toward getting more use out of the thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought a PSVR just to play squadrons. It was ing incredible the first time I fired it up because you do get a sense of being immersed in an x wing pit. But to Nonos point, the controllers (and also all the wires and ) were too bersome and I put in maybe 3 hours before putting all that away. You'd have to think that some basic improvements to the controller (which they have planned) and making it wireless would go a long ways toward getting more use out of the thing.
    The Quest 2 really shines on that, since it’s fully wireless. Even if you want to hook to your PC, it’s just one cable.

PSVR is super dated by todays standards, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a junk thread.

Thread Information