Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less people voting is better

That's cool until you're one of the ones disenfranchised. I don't think everyone should vote. I think everyone should have the option. The only way a 3rd party will ever successfully emerge is if those who don't normally vote actually get involved. Otherwise it's a red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don't necessarily have an issue with mailing everyone a ballot. They mail the census and we don't ask for that. If we have a responsibility to be counted, we should have a responsibility to vote. I have zero issue with "too many votes".
    The government conducting a census is mandated by the cons ution though; the cons ution includes the right to vote but it doesn't create a duty for the government to seek out everyone's vote.

I don't necessarily have an "issue" with mailing everyone a ballot, but I sympathize with people who do, and I'm fine with curtailing mail-in voting (as long as it's replaced with mandatory in person early voting) if it restores confidence in elections.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Basically, I really don't think it's too burdensome to ask an able bodied adult to, at some point during a 2 week voting period, go to the polls and cast an in person vote if they want to be counted, provided that they aren't forced to wait in line for a long period of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Damn all the "muh Tuskegee Experiments!" moon crickets who support her are gonna be pissed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's cool until you're one of the ones disenfranchised. I don't think everyone should vote. I think everyone should have the option. The only way a 3rd party will ever successfully emerge is if those who don't normally vote actually get involved. Otherwise it's a red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat.
    Everyone does have the option of voting. If the smallest amount of effort & participation is enough to dissuade someone from voting then that person should not be voting.

A 3 party system isn't going to work. The 3rd party will always end up being swallowed by one of the other two (or both) or replacing one of the other two parties.

The reason we keep having red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat, is that outside of rhetoric there is no significant difference between the parties over the last 25 years. It hasn't always been this way. Once we get through this political realignment period one party will be established as the majority party for a longer period of time. It will probably take the rest of this decade and it looks like the GOP is winning the race atm. Which is weird because their important policies benefit the larger number of peoples but for some reason, they are dead set focusing their messaging to an ever-decreasing slice of the population. Meanwhile the GOP can always fall back on muh Freedom, which is a powerful sentiment in this country.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, I really don't think it's too burdensome to ask an able bodied adult to, at some point during a 2 week voting period, go to the polls and cast an in person vote if they want to be counted, provided that they aren't forced to wait in line for a long period of time.
    eg, Georgia has closed 100s of voting sites

Confederate/red states, esp swing states under Repug control: local election officials replaced by Repug operatives.

There Will Be Counting Fraud

America is ed and un able. The ing will ramp way up after Repugs control all 3 branches, the objection corruption, as it always is with one-party countries.

Repugs will kill the filibuster, knowing the Dems never again control the Senate.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-11-2022 at 08:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think its turnout thats holding back third parties as much as the electoral college with winner-take-all states

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Could have voted early or asked for a mail in ballot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is your estimate of US Citizens without an ID? How does one even function without an ID, cash welfare checks, etc?
    How does having an ID solve issues like gerrymandering? The conversation is much more complicated than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is your estimate of US Citizens without an ID? How does one even function without an ID, cash welfare checks, etc?
    i know for instance in the infamous North Carolina voter id situation... they specifically chose which forms of ID they would or would not accept and that also was disproportionately targeting minorities. if every state trying to enact these bills provided free IDs to people, i think there would be a lot less pushback.

and imo, it should go further. the state should send applications for the free ID to every address of a registered voter. every few years they can keep sending those applications to new voters or those who have changed addresses, etc. be proactive about it.

my beef with voter ID laws isn't the principle of the matter itself. is it that bad to have voters confirm their ID at the polls? no, not really. the issue is that in large part, they are a solution looking for a problem, ie we dont see significant amount of voter fraud at the polls such that we need sweeping reform to address it. so if you're going to take that step, fine i guess, but have to be pretty damn certain you aren't ing anybody over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i know for instance in the infamous North Carolina voter id situation... they specifically chose which forms of ID they would or would not accept and that also was disproportionately targeting minorities. if every state trying to enact these bills provided free IDs to people, i think there would be a lot less pushback.

and imo, it should go further. the state should send applications for the free ID to every address of a registered voter
    Exactly. Plus mail-in voting is now somehow a bad thing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting ID is easy.
    Voting is easy.

Bigger problems to solve, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting ID is easy.
    Voting is easy.

Voter fraud isnt an issue.

bigger problems to solve.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting ID is easy.
    Voting is easy.

Then why did Texas change voting from 2020?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quit acting like voter ID is like making people take IQ tests. Its 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did Texas change voting from 2020?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's right, it's 2022, so why are you still obsessed with card based proof of iden y?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's right, it's 2022, so why are you still obsessed with card based proof of iden y?

Its a very low bar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a very low bar.
    Also it's already been law for years. It's 2022.

Why did Texas change voting laws again last year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also it's already been law for years. It's 2022.

Since you'll keep repeating yourself like a re ed Chatty Cathy doll, what specific changes do you have issue with?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Could you cite the protected right to travel on a plane as written into the United States Cons ution? I'm having trouble finding it.

You're an idiot.
    Cons ution good now? You guys need to make up your minds already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you'll keep repeating yourself like a re ed Chatty Cathy doll, what specific changes do you have issue with?
    Why can't you just answer my question, Darrin?

Just once.

Your Voter ID law was already on the books.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Who has cheated?

Is voter ID the only thing you want implemented?

I'm fine with that as long as free IDs are made available by state governments.

Why do you want all these other restrictions?
    Yes nobody has ever cheated

I want mandatory ID. And not like it matters what I think because I am not in congress, but, I am fine with making election day a federal holiday. Im also cool with a federal mandate of at least 2 weeks of early voting.

Free I.D.? Meh, if people can use their welfare check to buy tattoos and lotto tickets they can spend a few bucks on an I.D.

Thread Information