Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except for say situations like the voter ID law in North Dakota that required a physical address knowing full well that thousands of Native Americans lived in a reservation and didn't have a legal address. In that case it actually is pretty difficult for them to get an ID that complies with state law.
    Native Americans suddenly important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poster B appears for some belated towel-snapping

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The government conducting a census is mandated by the cons ution though; the cons ution includes the right to vote but it doesn't create a duty for the government to seek out everyone's vote.

I don't necessarily have an "issue" with mailing everyone a ballot, but I sympathize with people who do, and I'm fine with curtailing mail-in voting (as long as it's replaced with mandatory in person early voting) if it restores confidence in elections.
    Not sure the right to vote is in the cons ution. Maybe implied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poster B appears for some belated towel-snapping

When did anyone give a about the Native Americans other than to use them as a tool for blocking/passing bills?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voting has been confirmed by SCOTUS to be a right.

When did DMC give a about anything but biting men's ankles and obsessing over their personal lives?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say election WEEK, not election day. 5 days to vote. No reporting until votes are in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voting has been confirmed by SCOTUS to be a right.
    when? what case? The Cons ution delegates running elections (voter eligibility) to the (slave) states

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did anyone give a about the Native Americans other than to use them as a tool for blocking/passing bills?
    Sentimentality runs strong for Native Americans. During my childhood it was very fashionable to claim native heritage.

ABORIGINIES, n. Persons of little worth found bering the soil of a newly discovered country. They soon cease to ber; they fertilize.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when? what case? The Cons ution delegates running elections (voter eligibility) to the (slave) states
    About three or four Warren court decisions in the 60s over apportionment solidified the right that was all but explicitly codified in the amendments that had expanded the franchise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About three or four Warren court decisions in the 60s over apportionment solidified the right that was all but explicitly codified in the amendments that had expanded the franchise.
    "To accomplish the ends under this clause, Congress may adopt the statutes of the states and enforce them by its own sanctions.22

It may punish a state election officer for violating his duty under a state law governing congressional elections.

It may, in short, use its power under this clause, combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause,

to regulate the times, places, and manner of electing Members of Congress so as to fully safeguard the integrity of the process;

it may not, however, under this clause, provide different qualifications for electors than those provided by the states.
    24"

https://cons ution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/

well, Congress, Dem Congress, don't do to protect the right to vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"To accomplish the ends under this clause, Congress may adopt the statutes of the states and enforce them by its own sanctions.22

It may punish a state election officer for violating his duty under a state law governing congressional elections.

It may, in short, use its power under this clause, combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause,

to regulate the times, places, and manner of electing Members of Congress so as to fully safeguard the integrity of the process;

it may not, however, under this clause, provide different qualifications for electors than those provided by the states.
    24"

https://cons ution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/

well, Congress, Dem Congress, don't do to protect the right to vote.

It's not easy to pass such statutes these days, although it should be a no-brainer for anyone who actually believes in the United States.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sentimentality runs strong for Native Americans. During my childhood it was very fashionable to claim native heritage.
    Strong anecdotal rebuttal.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not sure the right to vote is in the cons ution. Maybe implied.
    In the context of what we were discussing, that would only further my argument as to why mailing census forms to everyone makes a lot more sense than mailing ballots to everyone.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I say election WEEK, not election day. 5 days to vote. No reporting until votes are in.
    Imo it should be two weeks but more importantly, all the laws in states like PA/MI/AZ/WI that delayed the counting of ballots unnecessarily should be nixed. Every state should do what Florida does where ballots get processed and counted (not reported) as they come in such that Florida’s basically done counting and reporting election results within a few hours of polls closing sans late arriving military ballots. Getting all the ballots counted quickly and efficiently creates a sense of finality for people and there’s no reason it can’t be done in the year 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo it should be two weeks but more importantly, all the laws in states like PA/MI/AZ/WI that delayed the counting of ballots unnecessarily should be nixed. Every state should do what Florida does where ballots get processed and counted (not reported) as they come in such that Florida’s basically done counting and reporting election results within a few hours of polls closing sans late arriving military ballots. Getting all the ballots counted quickly and efficiently creates a sense of finality for people and there’s no reason it can’t be done in the year 2022.
    I feel like some states see the delay as a time to showcase their states. When else is anyone going to give two s about any of those states?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the context of what we were discussing, that would only further my argument as to why mailing census forms to everyone makes a lot more sense than mailing ballots to everyone.
    I don't think it should be mandatory to do so, but it should be allowed, but the campaigns have to pay for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stacey Abrams snubs Brandon.

Action talks, bull walks.

Stacey Abrams, the voting-rights activist and Georgia governor candidate, isn’t joining President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris in Atlanta for a Tuesday speech and appearances devoted to legislation that would guarantee access to the polls. Abrams, who led get-out-the-vote efforts that swung the state to Biden and sent two Democrats to the U.S. Senate, has a scheduling conflict, according to spokesperson Seth Bringman. Biden had a ‘warm conversation’ with Abrams and they remain united on the issue, White House spokesperson Jen Psaki said. Many voting-rights organizers who worked closely with Abrams won’t join the delegation, which includes most of the state’s party leaders. Some issued an open letter, dismissing Tuesday’s visit as ‘an empty gesture, without concrete action.’
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...atlanta-events

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I feel like some states see the delay as a time to showcase their states. When else is anyone going to give two s about any of those states?
    Eh idk, Pennsylvania already gets plenty of attention as a swing state both sides need to win. Its laws around absentee/mail-in ballots are just outdated and the state leg refused to change them in 2020 notwithstanding how much Wolf pushed for them to be changed. Same thing with Michigan and Wisconsin - Whitmer and Evers wanted absentee/mail-in ballots to get processed as they came in but the state leg wouldn't entertain changing the law.

Florida I give credit to because it responded to the 2000 election show by revamping its election laws and becoming probably the best large state at administering elections.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"no concrete action" isn't Biden's fault, why snub him for something he can't control?

The oligarchy's corrupting bribes are impossible to beat (Manchin, Sinema).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LMAO you've got to be a huge dumbass to applaud either Abrams or Biden. Both are failures and deserve the worst coming to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "no concrete action" isn't Biden's fault, why snub him for something he can't control?

The oligarchy's corrupting bribes are impossible to beat (Manchin, Sinema).
    Keep sucking Biden off by making excuses for his failures...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Behind the LIE of requiring bi-partisanship, Sinema said today she will not vote for the voting rights act.

She received $750K from BigPharma, and parties with the P/E and hedge fund crowd.

The oligarchy again proves it is more powerful than voters and actually owns and operates the country.

The oligarchy has been, is strategizing/financing towards one-party fascism and the $Ts the oligarchy will amass from the guaranteed corruption.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's only one man standing in Biden's way

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WASHINGTON (AP) — All but acknowledging defeat, President Joe Biden said Thursday he’s “not sure” his elections and voting rights legislation can pass Congress this year....“One thing for certain, like every other major civil rights bill that came along, if we miss the first time, we could come back and try the second time," he told reporters

I didn't think he would wave the white flag this fast tbh

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I didn't think he would wave the white flag this fast tbh
    You didn't? It's pretty clear that Biden has no interest in fighting with Sinema and Manchin. He seems perfectly content with letting them control his agenda and having them as a reason for why nothing can get done.

He's following right along O'n!gger's footsteps in setting his party up for a midterm s acking to ensure he has split government to blame for why he'll be a lame duck 2 years into his presidency.

Thread Information