Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not like Poeltl is locked up for many years. He's a free agent after next season. The only way the Spurs are more than a 45 win team is through either an amazing draft or they sign someone like Lavine in the offseason. If either of those two things don't happen, then Poeltl needs to be dealt one way or another. If the Spurs are not a contender then why are you going to pay Poeltl more than 13 million a year? Surely if you think Jakob is good enough to hold on, you don't see him making less than 13 mil per in his next contract (and probably more) right? What sense does it make for a team who isn't in contention to make that deal?

The Spurs are about to have to make a lot of tough extension and resigning decisions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about perception imo. The optics of trading away the #2 pick so soon after the draft for a player who probably isn't perceived to be any better (even though he is) are something many teams would avoid.

I don't know the Warriors' mindset here, of course. Didn't the Kings ask a ton for Bagley because he was the #2 pick?
    That and the fact that they could potentially win the championship by standing pat. It's also too soon to declare Wiseman a bust. I don't see him being a star in the sense of offensive hub, but a complimentary type one (Ayton) isn't entirely out of the question. Either way, it's worth it to find out.

What would Poeltl change? He's not much, if any more of a deterrent against the Jokic/Embiid types and they'd still start Looney because of his chemistry with their big three. Throw in Green playing small ball five and that leaves spot minutes for another non shooting big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about perception imo. The optics of trading away the #2 pick so soon after the draft for a player who probably isn't perceived to be any better (even though he is) are something many teams would avoid.

I don't know the Warriors' mindset here, of course. Didn't the Kings ask a ton for Bagley because he was the #2 pick?
    At one point Dubs considered the corpse of Aldridge for that #2 pick. Poeltl is no Aldridge, but what Poeltl has is defense. And Poeltl is only 26 and cheap. With Dubs talent around him, Poeltl could be great as a win-now piece.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That and the fact that they could potentially win the championship by standing pat. It's also too soon to declare Wiseman a bust. I don't see him being a star in the sense of offensive hub, but a complimentary type one (Ayton) isn't entirely out of the question. Either way, it's worth it to find out.

What would Poeltl change? He's not much, if any more of a deterrent against the Jokic/Embiid types and they'd still start Looney because of his chemistry with their big three. Throw in Green playing small ball five and that leaves spot minutes for another non shooting big.
    Poeltl is a big upgrade over Looney. It's not like Looney spreads from the floor from 3 either.

Poeltl would slide right in and do great as a screener and rim protector, and he's a decent passer as well, probably better all around than Bogut was at this stage.

Could the Warriors win standing pat? Of course, probably be favorites. And it's always easier to do nothing than take a risk.

But Wiseman just isn't there right now, he doesn't know how to play or even succeed as a screen setter last I watched him. He's remedial as a role player and hurt all the time on top. Freaking Eubanks has probably been a better advanced stats player even as a rookie, and he's trash.

Poeltl would fit like a glove, doing the little things and the thankless dirty work. He's a guy on a lotto team who busts his ass screen after screen after screen and contesting all take long without ever pouting over the lack of touches or whining or needing a post touch at the start of each game like Perkins in order to play hard.

Wiseman is closer to being worse rim protecting Whiteside than Ayton for his career if he doesn't get on the court and improve soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is a big upgrade over Looney. It's not like Looney spreads from the floor from 3 either.

Poeltl would slide right in and do great as a screener and rim protector, and he's a decent passer as well, probably better all around than Bogut was at this stage.

Could the Warriors win standing pat? Of course, probably be favorites. And it's always easier to do nothing than take a risk.

But Wiseman just isn't there right now, he doesn't know how to play or even succeed as a screen setter last I watched him. He's remedial as a role player and hurt all the time on top. Freaking Eubanks has probably been a better advanced stats player even as a rookie, and he's trash.

Poeltl would fit like a glove, doing the little things and the thankless dirty work. He's a guy on a lotto team who busts his ass screen after screen after screen and contesting all take long without ever pouting over the lack of touches or whining or needing a post touch at the start of each game like Perkins in order to play hard.

Wiseman is closer to being worse rim protecting Whiteside than Ayton for his career if he doesn't get on the court and improve soon.
    I never said otherwise, just that Looney is going to maintain his role.

I actually think things have (as usual) broken perfectly for them. Worst top of the league in recent history and despite their recently struggles, they've settled into a rotation. So instead of it being a big deal to him and media when he plays a matchup dependent fringe rotation role (with Bjelica), it'll go without saying.

I was always a skeptic and would bet against him even being Ayton, I'm just saying he's barely played beyond high-school so they might as well try to develop him over selling low on a player they don't need.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was always a skeptic and would bet against him even being Ayton, I'm just saying he's barely played beyond high-school so they might as well try to develop him over selling low on a player they don't need.
    I agree with this. Wiseman has a much higher ceiling than Poeltl, even though he's the worse player at the moment. It's not like the Spurs are trying to piece together a contender anyway.

Perhaps Wiseman will insist on a big rookie extension that he hasn't at all earned. If he's a potential locker room problem then staying away is best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. John Collins
    2. Lauri Markkanen
    3. Ben Simmons
    4. Wiseman

I swear the kiddies on this board just swarm after the next shiny expensive bauble like a bunch of six year olds on a soccer pitch. , I remember when people were obsessed with Corey Maggette. Honestly, it's kind of sweet how y'all rumble off with your little legs pumping over the grass rushing after the latest dreamboat player. Lawls.

Or it’s like a flock of pigeons. You’ve probably seen where one pigeon will take off, and suddenly they all take off in the same direction. But all they do is circle around and come back to the same place. Until it happens again. Lol

The notion of Poeltl for Wiseman is moronic, of course. Wiseman just had surgery, again, in mid December, on the same knee. It’s still unknown when, or if, he will be able to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hold up with GS might not be GS. Wiseman had meniscus surgery 9 months ago, and still isn’t playing. When Tim was injured in Apr 2000, he had surgery in May,nand was in training camp in September. Now, Tim’s was a shave, a debridement, and sometimes they try for a repair, if the blood flow was unimpaired. Nine months still seems like too long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hold up with GS might not be GS. Wiseman had meniscus surgery 9 months ago, and still isn’t playing. When Tim was injured in Apr 2000, he had surgery in May,nand was in training camp in September. Now, Tim’s was a shave, a debridement, and sometimes they try for a repair, if the blood flow was unimpaired. Nine months still seems like too long.
    He had a clean up surgery in December though. That is the real holdup. He is out indefinitely and may not be back for the playoffs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Or they could get beaten by Phoenix, who is the best team in the league right now. Gotta think they'd love a big they can throw against Ayton and try to win a le this year. It's not like their window is wide open any more with Curry turning 34 in March. Don't think their timeline meshes well with Wiseman's, especially with his injuries this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl played great last night, albeit no OKC bigs to deal with. But he recognized the mismatches and he asked for the ball and try to punish his defender. His posts actually create passing lane and open shots, if he continues, like Timmy on the post. Poeltl seems comfortable with this group. But I wish he plays consistently hungry to be great, and be the best big man on the court. But it seems he’s always outplayed or intimidated by other capable big man. Also Poeltl is a great help, but often he’s caught over helping and leaving his guy for a massive dunk. But kudos to him for playing great last night

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or they could get beaten by Phoenix, who is the best team in the league right now. Gotta think they'd love a big they can throw against Ayton and try to win a le this year. It's not like their window is wide open any more with Curry turning 34 in March. Don't think their timeline meshes well with Wiseman's, especially with his injuries this year.
    Obviously, but there's no reason why the Warriors can't beat the Suns as is and let's not act like Ayton is prime Olajuwon, O'Neal, Duncan, etc. He's far more finisher than creator.

Let's also not act like Poeltl is a stout post defender when we've seen him time and again be easily overpowered and put in foul trouble by low post bigs.

I don't see nearly enough upside to it to override all the reasons why I know they wouldn't do it, including their stated goal of being the next Spurs.

Thread Information