Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Half the fanbase" ... yeah. Not only are conservatives a minority in NBA attendance, but conservatives who tie their iden y to Trump are an even smaller number. The number who would let Pop chase them away from their team is hopefully an even smaller number.

John Harbaugh is a "build the wall" religious conservative. Not only has that not prevented me from watching and attending Ravens games, but it doesn't even affect what I think of him as a coach. It's because I'm not a ing snowflake and can emotionally handle knowing I won't agree with the people responsible for my entertainment.
    I'm not all that familiar with John Harbaugh's statements, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

I suspect that, while Harbaugh has expressed his opinion, he has never personally attacked people he disagreed with? That is the difference. Pop doesn't just say "I support XYZ policy", he goes out of his way to personally attack those who disagree with "XYZ policy" in a nasty and aggressive fashion. That is far different from merely expressing his beliefs (which is fine).

I'm not a Trump supporter or a Republican/Conservative, but it seems that as the team gets worse, Pop gets more aggressively unpleasant. It's boorish behavior that would be off putting in the best of times, but at a time when the team sucks, I find it really annoying (as many others do). In many ways, Pop's bad behavior mimics Trump's bad behavior.

Maybe if Pop would focus on basketball once in a while, rather than coming up with political rants, the team might win a few games?

It's gotten so bad I've been catching myself switching off the Spurs and watching Mavs games, hoping to see Boban play.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As if "conservatives" were ever supporting a team with a bunch of foreigners on it. Literally get the out, as in leave. What's *actually* happened is your racist ass was putting up with a team of people from all over because you could bandwagon a good team. Now the team isn't good, so you can't bandwagon, and having no loyalty to the team, and no actual principles at all, really, you are on this BS on a sports forum because being a "conservative" is your entire sense of being whatsoever.

Sooo done with "conservatives" in general; hoops and otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As if "conservatives" were ever supporting a team with a bunch of foreigners on it. Literally get the out, as in leave. What's *actually* happened is your racist ass was putting up with a team of people from all over because you could bandwagon a good team. Now the team isn't good, so you can't bandwagon, and having no loyalty to the team, and no actual principles at all, really, you are on this BS on a sports forum because being a "conservative" is your entire sense of being whatsoever.

Sooo done with "conservatives" in general; hoops and otherwise.
    Delusional!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so attendance. It sucked in the Dark Ages between Gervin and Robinson. I’d be surprised if attendance was actually high right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so attendance. It sucked in the Dark Ages between Gervin and Robinson. I’d be surprised if attendance was actually high right now.
    There is no way attendance is good at the moment.

The player most want to check out right now isn't gonna get much burn every night, if he is even with the A-team on a given night, for one thing.

"Hurr hurr triggered!"

Dumbasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Hurr hurr triggered!"

Dumbasses.
    I'm triggered because you're delusional? LMAO I went to a SPURS game just a couple weeks ago as I watched them from row 12. Were you there supporting them or are you one of those big bad Conservatives you speak ill of?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I used to take clients to games and they always wanted to leave at half time. Spent a lot of money on half attended games. Not only that but there are too many games and it becomes a hassle to even give tickets away. I had season tickets and would hand them out only to find out the people I gave them to didn't go. When you have 2-4 seats at $250/seat, it gets frustrating to see money flushed down the toilet. That is kind of what sucks, as a kid, I wanted season tickets so badly, now that I can afford to have them, I have no time to attend a game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop and his unhinged ranting sure hasn't helped. Remember, Republicans watch basketball, too.

As Pop has aged, and people realize he was never a brilliant coach, just a guy who lucked into being able to coach some of the greatest players in the history of the league, he has become and more cantankerous/ornery. In recent years, it's manifested itself in political rants targeted at half the team's fan base, whereas in the past, it had primarily been limited to being a jerk with sports reporters.

Is Pop's bad behavior the main reason people aren't coming? Probably not. The team sucking to the point of being nearly unwatchable and COVID are both likely bigger factors. But Pop is just making things worse.

When your business is already having trouble putting butts in the seats, having a team leader go out of his way to piss off half the fan base isn't a brilliant strategy.
    I don't see it. Pop could have never said a word about politics his whole career and I don't think we would have a larger attendance right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not all that familiar with John Harbaugh's statements, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

I suspect that, while Harbaugh has expressed his opinion, he has never personally attacked people he disagreed with? That is the difference. Pop doesn't just say "I support XYZ policy", he goes out of his way to personally attack those who disagree with "XYZ policy" in a nasty and aggressive fashion. That is far different from merely expressing his beliefs (which is fine).
    Eh, I'm not riding here. I get the sense that you're one of those "Keep politics away from my sports" types of people who thinks that people should be able to vote however they want without facing any sort of criticism for it in their lives. To sum up a long post, I really don't agree. I think the political views you hold inform your moral characters. I think there are threes genera of reasons why folks voted for Trump: They knew what he said/did and like it; they have been misled about what he's said/done and think he's better than the alternative (whom they also don't really know about); or they don't like Trump in general but have an extremely narrow view on what is important politically and voted for him because he honestly met those narrow interests better. In other words: Trump voters are either deplorable, ignorant or selfish. The best Trump supporters I've ever met still believe dumb like Biden and Harris being communists. It's a massive character flaw, but like with other character flaws, some Trump supporters can still be decent human beings around that.

Had Pop come out and laid it out like that, deeply criticizing people for the moral failing of being able to vote for Trump, I would have been okay with it. In my opinion, those folks should be ashamed, and just like with many uncomfortable truths people have had to confront over the years, I don't give anything approaching a about how offended the truth is for them. The major flaw in this country is that we've confused the freedom of speech for the belief that ideas have to be hermetically sealed away from real-world rebuttal. We keep tripping over our s as a society because every time we try to move the out of the way, someone runs up and says, "No, no, no. I believe that the should stay, despite all of the evidence, and that means you can't take a side in this debate by moving it. Put it back please." So had Pop actually come out and torn into Trump voters, I would've been all for it.

But he didn't do that. He criticized Trump and said it was scary that people voted for him despite how awful he is. I've spent a bit of time searching for Pop comments on Trump voters, and the closest I've seen is this:

He said he's "disgusted" that voters were willing to brush aside Trump's "xenophobic, phobic, racist, misogynistic" language during his campaign."I live in that country where half of the people ignored all of that to elect someone," Popovich said. "That's the scariest part of the whole thing to me. It's got nothing to do with the environment and Obamacare, and all of the other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all of those values that we would hold our kids accountable for. They'd be grounded for years if they acted and said the things that have been said in that campaign by Donald Trump."
    He also expressed confusion that evangelical Christians were willing to ignore Trump's hateful language. He added that he respects political figures like Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and John McCain, as well as Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich — all of whom he disagrees with politically — for not condoning Trump's actions.
    Popovich reasoned that anyone can understand Trump's message while not forgiving his "fear mongering."
    "It leaves me wondering where I've been living, and with whom I'm living," he said.
    Popovich continued, blasting the postelection rhetoric and the way Trump's transition into office is being handled.
    "The fact that people can just gloss that over, start talking about the transition team, and we're all going to be kumbaya now and try to make the country good without talking about any of those things. And now we see that he's already backing off of immigration and Obamacare and other things, so was it a big fake, which makes you feel it's even more disgusting and cynical that somebody would use that to get the base that fired up. To get elected. And what gets lost in the process are African-Americans, and Hispanics, and women, and the gay population, not to mention the eighth-grade developmental stage exhibited by him when he made fun of the handicapped person. I mean, come on. That's what a seventh grade, eighth grade bully does. And he was elected president of the United States. We would have scolded our kids. We would have had discussions until we were blue in the face trying to get them to understand these things. He is in charge of our country. That's disgusting."
    According to the San Antonio News-Express, a reporter began to ask another question, and Popovich cut him off:
    "I'm not done. One could go on and on. We didn't make this stuff up. He's angry at the media because they reported what he said and how he acted. That's ironic to me. It makes no sense. So that's my real fear, and that's what gives me so much pause and makes me feel so badly that the country is willing to be that intolerant and not understand the empathy that's necessary to understand other group's situations. I'm a rich white guy, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can't imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it's just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is — we are Rome."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/greg...ection-2016-11

So no. If that's why those people are offended, them. They're not en led to not have their vote questioned. These are -made Karen and Karl types who think they can go into stores and bully employees because "The customer is always right." It turns out, they can take their ball and go home, realize no one wants to play with them before they come back and watch everyone else play on the other side of fence, hoping for someone to scrape a knee so they can feel justified in leaving in the first place. That folks are running into this thread five years after Pop supposedly alienated them to try to claim victory, as if boycotts take half-decades to work, is hilarious. Pop shouldn't give an inch to those s. They can come back after the millionth time some charlatan like Trump or McMann or those dudes who started Parler and the Freedom Phone swindles them and sit quietly as they come to realize that the world is going to keep changing around them and no promises of being "anti-woke" or "patriotic" will stop it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is though that Hilary reeeeeeaaaally sucks. I ended up not voting at all bc both sucked but I can tell you that I’d rather vote Trump over her. Trump is too stupid and egotistical to not give you his real opinion for better or worse while Hilary knows the game and doesn’t really share her true views. That scares me more tbh

Also Biden sucks too. He seems nice enough as a person and acts more like a president than Trump but he carries zero respect from his own party nvm the republicans. As a nation we are ed as long as these 2 parties are behaving like they are behaving. We need a real rehaul of government and it starts with a term limit on Senators. Get those mfers out after 2 terms. Also split up the wackos from each party and create 4 parties. Center right and left. Wacko right and left

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I give people something of a pass for 2016, since I can believe they were tricked into thinking he was going to be a meh president despite his media troubles. It was still obvious he was horrible, but I don't think many of us truly believed how easily he could disrupt and derail the basic neoliberal flow of the country. Not 2020 though. I REALLY don't like Biden, but the lies people had to swallow to pretend like voting for Trump was the neutral choice were too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t.
    But you jackwad hypocrites *deserve*, even earn the contempt. Btw, what a ing snowflake you tools are. The Holts have been nor only vocal supporters of past GOP governors and Presidents, they have the power to silence pop if they wanted to. I loathe everything about conservatives but you don't see me boycotting games over the Holts' repulsive political views that run contrary to most everything the players fight for off the court?

It's probably a good time to start figuring out how we can live amongst one another, including going to games of coaches we think insulted us, without getting the violent divorce some of the MAGA members of Congress are calling for. That said I'd like nothing more than to be rid of you morons and every single thing you guys want this country to look like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I give people something of a pass for 2016, since I can believe they were tricked into thinking he was going to be a meh president despite his media troubles. It was still obvious he was horrible, but I don't think many of us truly believed how easily he could disrupt and derail the basic neoliberal flow of the country. Not 2020 though. I REALLY don't like Biden, but the lies people had to swallow to pretend like voting for Trump was the neutral choice were too much.
    Biden is a waste of time. Imagine a party in 2020 running a candidate that ostensibly represents progressive values and ideas, saying something along the lines of, " I wouldn't even support nor sign a Medicare for all bill even if it passed congress and arrived on my desk."

The Democratic party is gonna get s acked in 2022 and it's all so predictable as to why more than a year out. They're a bunch of corporatists that still do the bidding of their donors and yet scream about the next election being the most important election of our lifetimes,until the next election when they don't do to actually stop the ongoing theft of the lower and middle classes.

Rant over. Just can't take a second more of the Dems moderation in times when the other guys are also not only corporatists, but increasingly authoritarian and fascistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't a problem that started this year, tbh. I remember having these convos about empty seats back when the Spurs were a 60 wins team. Supposedly all those empty seats we see on the front rows are all sold out but the rich folks that own them just don't show up. I don't know why they don't let the people from the upper seats sit on those so that it doesn't look so bad on TV, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is a waste of time. Imagine a party in 2020 running a candidate that ostensibly represents progressive values and ideas, saying something along the lines of, " I wouldn't even support nor sign a Medicare for all bill even if it passed congress and arrived on my desk."

The Democratic party is gonna get s acked in 2022 and it's all so predictable as to why more than a year out. They're a bunch of corporatists that still do the bidding of their donors and yet scream about the next election being the most important election of our lifetimes,until the next election when they don't do to actually stop the ongoing theft of the lower and middle classes.

Rant over. Just can't take a second more of the Dems moderation in times when the other guys are also not only corporatists, but increasingly authoritarian and fascistic.
    The problem is the Democrats are not a true progressive party. In Europe they would be viewed as a right-wing party. The republicans are now pushed too far to the right that the Democrats by just being a little bit behind the republicans when it comes to being on the right are now portrayed as radical leftist when they are not. A lot of people stupidly only judge the two parties on social issues but not what really matters which is the economic issues. When it comes to economic issues both parties are nearly identical. Both don't believe in universal healthcare, increased taxation on the rich, anti-trust laws, regulations on banks and corporations, regulating trade on China, rent control and affordable housing, student loan forgiveness. Both parties are also owned by the same rich donors and corporations.

The only thing that really separates the two parties is the social issues and hence why both parties hammer these issues. It's why we are stuck in this perpetual cancel culture war.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But yet here we are and the reality is the biggest morons in the country are the ones that voted for Biden. How do we give them a pass? Covid, Inflation, Border, Foreign Relations....all epic fails by the Biden Administration thus far and we're only a year in. God help us all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, we could easily be ing about why the team moved to Seattle and how Bezos is really spending a lot of money on them... it might actually be next.

So I don't get the whole "I canceled my seasons tickets because Pop called me a snowflake" (well, well, well, how the turn tables). You might not even have a local team by the time Pop is gone.

But yeah, when the product was good, you could put up with Pop, how Holt was nickel and diming to avoid the lux tax, benching new players for a year, Matt Bonner, the ty location of the AT&T, the hideous traffic on game night, the overpriced nachos with fake cheese, the robbery at gunpoint on the east side... we made that bag Derek Fisher cry, goddamit.

When the product is terrible, all the above comes to the fore, plus the talent is lacking, the moves underwhelming (lol @ some people getting excited coz we traded one scrub with another scrub AND a protected 2nd round pick in 2028), Brian Wrong, the pandemic, the Brandon inflation (he did that!), etc...

There's no marquee player, no rebel, no supremely talented player that just hasn't figure it out yet. We'll probably draft 3 more undersized guards in the next draft. Depressing all around, tbh...
    Last edited by ElNono; 01-20-2022 at 05:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But yet here we are and the reality is the biggest morons in the country are the ones that voted for Biden. How do we give them a pass? Covid, Inflation, Border, Foreign Relations....all epic fails by the Biden Administration thus far and we're only a year in. God help us all.
    Your snowflake ass will be fine. Remember that you already survived a black president for 8 years too, and you thought it was the end of the world as well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Biden said "I have probably outperformed what anybody thought would happen."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/polit...ays/index.html

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If all the people who keep saying I did not like either so I did not vote would vote for one of the other parties then maybe we could get to 3 parties. They might not get as much buzz but it could make an effect on future elections. Also if more people would vote for them then Other would start voteing for them as well. Whenever I dont like either of the two I will vote for one of the other parties. Yes I know my vote wont have much of an impact but I would rather vote for someone that I actually believe somewhat in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL inflation isn’t Bidden. There is nothing he nor Trump can or could do. Inflation is hardly a monetary policy phenomnon at this point.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Biden's fault Trump's base won't get vaccinated.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL inflation isn’t Bidden. There is nothing he nor Trump can or could do. Inflation is hardly a monetary policy phenomnon at this point.
    I would say it is a result of the money that has been pumpped into the economy since the beginning of the pandemic. (not all bidens fault). With this increase in money it has increased demand which has caused prices to rise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If all the people who keep saying I did not like either so I did not vote would vote for one of the other parties then maybe we could get to 3 parties. They might not get as much buzz but it could make an effect on future elections. Also if more people would vote for them then Other would start voteing for them as well. Whenever I dont like either of the two I will vote for one of the other parties. Yes I know my vote wont have much of an impact but I would rather vote for someone that I actually believe somewhat in.
    Sure, but that would mean asking USians to be intelligent and we have probably the dumbest populace of any half-developed nation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have caught them a couple of times in Milwaukee since we’ve been here. The plan is to move back at some point. Hopefully their still there. I don’t buy the COVID argument. Other arenas are full. Only thing I can figure is some towns support their teams all the time. Some only support a winner.
    Spurs fans want pop gone and his stupid politics
    They want to get away from everything and watch sports but pop could ing care less
    Everything is always about him

Thread Information