Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich alienated half of the fan base with his liberal politics. What did you think would happen? Im actually suprised the attendance isnt even lower. I hope the Spurs move to another city...good riddance.
    Pop was most outspoken about the POS in 2016-2020. You couldn't buy good season tickets during this period and we weren't exactly favoured to win a 'ship. Your comments here are ridiculous, but funny. I love seeing dumbasses like yourself triggered by Pop speaking common sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t.
    Remember anywhere you go Pop is taunting you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious about this as well. We are doing very poorly for attendance bottom 3 or 4 in the league. http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
    My gut is saying its Covid related because in pre covid times we were averaging 98% - 100%. Covid combined with losing has hurt the attendance, I don't really see any evidence that Pop's politics are keeping people from the games. He has been shooting his mouth for years now and it didn't affect the attendance any.
    It's important to pay close attention to what the Spurs have in common with the bottom 3-4 teams in attendance which is they are all lottery teams. Even the casual fan today is not going to waste money to see a losing team especially in these uncertain economic times. All the teams in the top 15 in home attendance except the Lakers and Blazers have winning records. The Lakers are only 1 game below .500 but the Blazers are a lottery team so I will give Portland fans credit for showing up, but they are the exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a big problem before covid

The arena is a dump in a wasteland. It's almost 20 years old now. None of the supposed revitalization of the area happened, but to be honest everyone with a clue at the time knew it was just a bs thing to claim,.

Not only is it old with nothing going on around it if you want to make an entire night of it, but it was pre-hd. With a successful team and a new arena, sure, you could get people for a decade.

But ever since hd broadcasts and cheap giant tvs, why bother going there at all, not like you can walk to a restaurant or bar or whatever before or after.

Factor in complacency from winning so much, the Kawhi betrayal and surrender, and big three retirement, of course no one wants to go.

Even if Pop was full maga, that might be a difference of a couple of hundred more people who would have cared enough, but the underlying problems are the same.

No way the Spurs are going to get public money for a new arena after the way covid will wreck budgets for a decade, plus the hatred for Pop, though he might be dead of old age in 5 years.

That's why they'll be moving. Getting the process started on a new arena with proposals and plans is a 5 year at least, and when it doesn't succeed, the money to move will far exceed anything to get in a 30 year old arena that's half full

They gone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understand fans who base showing up and supporting a team based on politics. Back in '03 I was against the war in Iraq and protested against it. I still remember David Robinson speaking out against the protestors and saying they were not real patriots and were traitors. I took offense to that comment, but I still rooted for the Spurs. If I had this type of mentality that these Trumpers have then I would have missed out on a le run. My belief is the Trumpers would still support the Spurs if they were le contenders even with Pop being anti-Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team's win / loss percentage is a reflection of their attendance. Who the wants to spend their discretionary income watching tanks roll around on the court?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the location argument. The team could suck, but if they were downtown you could still build a really nice night around dinner/few drinks, seeing some young prospects, and hitting the bars after.

Id love to see something in SA sports wise similar to when I lived in Baltimore. The Os were awful, but it was a cheep ticket, the ballpark is still one of the best in all baseball, and the bars/night life around the Inner Harbor was walking distance if you wanted to leave in the 7th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there’s more important than going to the AT&T when the omicron is surging or is that a hoax?
    yeah it seems like omicron has stopped all those people from attending this weekends NFL football games

virus or not, this type of attendance was bound to happen during rebuilding years.

even during our championship years our lazy fans would arrive until mid 2nd quarter to the game. i remember seeing so many empty seats down below during 2016 WCSF Game 5 against the Thunder. It pissed me off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is actually the best time for the Spurs to suck: during Covid where 100% attendance ain't possible anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah it seems like omicron has stopped all those people from attending this weekends NFL football games

virus or not, this type of attendance was bound to happen during rebuilding years.

even during our championship years our lazy fans would arrive until mid 2nd quarter to the game. i remember seeing so many empty seats down below during 2016 WCSF Game 5 against the Thunder. It pissed me off.
    They're playoff games and the NFL has an inherent advantage because of way less games and generally one game per week played on Sunday, making them all seem like an event.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the location argument. The team could suck, but if they were downtown you could still build a really nice night around dinner/few drinks, seeing some young prospects, and hitting the bars after.

Id love to see something in SA sports wise similar to when I lived in Baltimore. The Os were awful, but it was a cheep ticket, the ballpark is still one of the best in all baseball, and the bars/night life around the Inner Harbor was walking distance if you wanted to leave in the 7th.
    This is why I stopped going to games in SA. It took forever to get there and then I had nothing to do before the game, so I couldn’t arrive early and go out nearby for a drink. And then when the game is over, once again you can’t do anything afterwards. The Alamodome was a short walk to the Henry B and the rest of the river walk. Lots of night life and just a fun vibe. The AT&T center just sucks

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, the Dallas Mavericks have one of the most popular young athletes in the city's history right now and I struggle to sell my lower level tickets even for below face value most nights.

I do think COVID is part of the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, the Dallas Mavericks have one of the most popular young athletes in the city's history right now and I struggle to sell my lower level tickets even for below face value most nights.

I do think COVID is part of the issue.
    Yes, of course and I'm pretty sure Pop isn't coaching your team on his off nights.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I stopped going to games in SA. It took forever to get there and then I had nothing to do before the game, so I couldn’t arrive early and go out nearby for a drink. And then when the game is over, once again you can’t do anything afterwards. The Alamodome was a short walk to the Henry B and the rest of the river walk. Lots of night life and just a fun vibe. The AT&T center just sucks
    After the game you could always go cruise New Braunfels Ave for hookers.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the game you could always go cruise New Braunfels Ave for hookers.
    "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
    Nah you definitely shouldn't, some ugly ass hoes there. Couldn't remember if Walters had an entrance to I-35 so went to New Braunfels Ave instead to get to 35 after a game when we were forced to go south on AT&T Parkway and every one of them looked like a 1/10 at best.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you guys are to young to remember Cherry Street.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I'm hopeful they won't become the Las Vegas Spurs in a few short years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is actually the best time for the Spurs to suck: during Covid where 100% attendance ain't possible anyway
    Yeah that's true. And conversely, this is the worst time to have your golden era during a pandemic like the Milwaukee Bucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody wants to pay for tickets when you don't even know which players will be available every day. Half the team could be out with covid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t.
    Good riddance freak

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious about this as well. We are doing very poorly for attendance bottom 3 or 4 in the league. http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
    My gut is saying its Covid related because in pre covid times we were averaging 98% - 100%. Covid combined with losing has hurt the attendance, I don't really see any evidence that Pop's politics are keeping people from the games. He has been shooting his mouth for years now and it didn't affect the attendance any.
    Pop and his unhinged ranting sure hasn't helped. Remember, Republicans watch basketball, too.

As Pop has aged, and people realize he was never a brilliant coach, just a guy who lucked into being able to coach some of the greatest players in the history of the league, he has become and more cantankerous/ornery. In recent years, it's manifested itself in political rants targeted at half the team's fan base, whereas in the past, it had primarily been limited to being a jerk with sports reporters.

Is Pop's bad behavior the main reason people aren't coming? Probably not. The team sucking to the point of being nearly unwatchable and COVID are both likely bigger factors. But Pop is just making things worse.

When your business is already having trouble putting butts in the seats, having a team leader go out of his way to piss off half the fan base isn't a brilliant strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Half the fanbase" ... yeah. Not only are conservatives a minority in NBA attendance, but conservatives who tie their iden y to Trump are an even smaller number. The number who would let Pop chase them away from their team is hopefully an even smaller number.

John Harbaugh is a "build the wall" religious conservative. Not only has that not prevented me from watching and attending Ravens games, but it doesn't even affect what I think of him as a coach. It's because I'm not a ing snowflake and can emotionally handle knowing I won't agree with the people responsible for my entertainment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Republicans shouldn't be so thin skinned that someone saying something that goes against their precious "values" calls for a boycott.

Grow up and realize that everyone is en led to their own opinion. We live in a world of differing opinions, and you ain't blessed with the almighty power to be right all the time.

The fact is that the team used to have very high standards, and now we aren't very good. That results in lower attendance. People who want to watch basketball will still go to the games.

Otherwise, no one gives a whether you are red, blue, purple, green, or whatever....stop acting like your choice to not buy tickets is some sort of political statement.
    Last edited by Dex; 01-19-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich alienated half of the fan base with his liberal politics. What did you think would happen? Im actually suprised the attendance isnt even lower. I hope the Spurs move to another city...good riddance.
    Pop has always been an insufferable jerk. He enjoys putting people down and embarrassing them. He talks about "getting over yourself," but he's clearly a guy who never has.

When the team was winning and had great/likeable players, the fans overlooked the fact that Pop was a jerk who treated people (reporters primarily) badly.

But when the team is awful, and he's attacking the fans themselves, it's not surprising that some will choose to spend their entertainment dollar elsewhere.

You don't need an MBA to realize that intentionally pissing off your customers is never a good business strategy.

We haven't been to a game since 2019. Mostly because the team sucks, but Pop's boorish behavior hasn't helped (and I'm not even a Trump supporter). It's more pleasant to watch on TV, where I can bail out quickly on (yet another) Spurs loss and switch to something more entertaining (e.g. Family Guy reruns).

Thread Information