You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs HAVE to do something to get some length on this team. Other than Poeltl, the team is basically 6'5". DJ is 6'4" and Primo is (supposedly) 6'6", but close enough. The best of the players taller than 6'5" is McDermott, and I don't really care whether he's back or not. The rest are pretty much interchangeable drones.

So many of the players being linked to the Spurs in this draft, like Agbaji, Johnny Davis, Mathurin, Dyson Daniels, are... yep, 6'5". A couple might be 6'6" in shoes. Maybe.

There's another FA who I liked in his draft, but he closed the season weak and went in the second round. Then got injured his rookie season. But he played better this season, and I think he'll continue to improve. Jordan Nwora is 6'8", and has experience with Milwaukee - even started 13 games for them this season. He's not getting minutes in their shortened playoff rotation, but neither would most of the guys on this roster. I think he'll be pretty reasonably priced. I would rather have him than Weiskamp, Ca , Bates-Diop, etc. He shoots the 3 - not as well as McBuckets, but he's more help on the other end and I still think he'll improve.

Every position in the depth chart that the Spurs improve makes them a better team. Nwora would be a way of adding some much needed length on a budget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The super bargain free agent I like is Anthony Gill of Washington-- great shooter, decent defender. He won't knock you out with his stats but he could provide 15 mpg replacing McDermott's & Lonnie's minutes where he's not a big net negative (if at all), and though not a great rebounder, at 6'8" would make for a better rebounding tandem with KJ than McDermott did. His shooting percentages over three years in Europe were incredible and last year with the Wizards he shot over 53% from three and over 57% from two.

http://www.82games.com/2122/21WAS18.HTM
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...orite-teammate
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...ny-gill-1.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../gillan01.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who can nab us a decent starting PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I'm concerned no one is untouchable, so I don't care who isn't brought back as long as their exit brings in someone who brings the team closer to a le.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think saying 'I don't care if we don't bring ___ back' fits my personal viewpoint.. I'm not attached to any player to the point that I think we have to bring ''x player" back. If it's a move that makes sense within our long term plans then I don't care who we move. Now in the sense of looking for that 6'8" or taller guy I agree with where you're coming from... I think if we continue to build slowly through the draft we go after a couple of guys that size and probably jettison LW, Cacok, and one other.. if we take a shorter term view and trade a couple of young guys/picks for win now players then we probably fill out the end of the roster with our 2-way guys on minimum deals.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think saying 'I don't care if we don't bring ___ back' fits my personal viewpoint.. I'm not attached to any player to the point that I think we have to bring ''x player" back. If it's a move that makes sense within our long term plans then I don't care who we move. Now in the sense of looking for that 6'8" or taller guy I agree with where you're coming from... I think if we continue to build slowly through the draft we go after a couple of guys that size and probably jettison LW, Cacok, and one other.. if we take a shorter term view and trade a couple of young guys/picks for win now players then we probably fill out the end of the roster with our 2-way guys on minimum deals.

The point is that the Spurs need to build a roster that includes some length. The guys at the top of the roster - DJ, Keldon, Poeltl, even Vassell would not be simple to replace. Obviously if you CAN get someone better, you do that. But the real point is that anyone on this year's roster who is taller than 6'5" - 6'6" (other than Poeltl) is very easily replaceable. Not that you don't like them.

If getting a legitimate PF, with legitimate PF height isn't THE target of this offseason, get ready for another year of play-in. More likely two years, since the PF they get next season (hopefully) would be brand new to the team. If you're pushing for someone 6'5" with that #9 pick, I hope you have a plan for where to get two other guys who are taller than that. More to the point, I hope PATFO is thinking like that.

I was really wondering if any of you see any of those other guys who were on this year's roster having enough real upside that they would be better than signing some other filler. Like Bates-Diop - are any of you sold enough on him to think, "I hope the Spurs give him another year"? How about looking back at Trey Lyles? Did you really like him that much less than Zach Collins? Do you really think that Jock Landale is going to blossom enough next year to be significantly better than Lyles?

Seriously wondering what the rest of you are seeing. Because to me, this team really didn't have any legitimate players between 6'6" and Poeltl. I would be laser-focused on length.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 04-27-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that the Spurs need to build a roster that includes some length. The guys at the top of the roster - DJ, Keldon, Poeltl, even Vassell would not be simple to replace. Obviously if you CAN get someone better, you do that. But the real point is that anyone on this year's roster who is taller than 6'5" - 6'6" (other than Poeltl) is very easily replaceable. Not that you don't like them.

If getting a legitimate PF, with legitimate PF height isn't THE target of this offseason, get ready for another year of play-in. More likely two years, since the PF they get next season (hopefully) would be brand new to the team. If you're pushing for someone 6'5" with that #9 pick, I hope you have a plan for where to get two other guys who are taller than that. More to the point, I hope PATFO is thinking like that.

I was really wondering if any of you see any of those other guys who were on this year's roster having enough real upside that they would be better than signing someone other filler. Like Bates-Diop - are any of you sold enough on him to think, "I hope the Spurs give him another year"? How about looking back at Trey Lyles? Did you really like him that much less than Zach Collins? Do you really think that Jock Landale is going to blossom enough next year to be significantly better than Lyles?

Seriously wondering what the rest of you are seeing. Because to me, this team really didn't have any legitimate players between 6'6" and Poeltl. I would be laser-focused on length.
    To answer your last paragraph:

I see a team that needs to add two players in the 6'8" category to the roster. One must be able to shoot the 3 efficiently...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the premise. To me, the players available at 9 (if we stay there), and assuming we get the best talent, would probably be 6'5". Yeah, I see that. Not sure if that's preference or an acknowledgement of who the best players available would be as far as upside and offensive talent. Keegan Murray if he falls would be great. I can see Eason or Sochan at 9 also. So it's possible they draft a PF. But lots of factors. Trading Yak is intriguing if we get a solid return that includes a PF, but then we're at a hole at the 5. So yeah, Wright has work to do to fix our short roster. It seems like a big task to do in one off season, and given what I seem to think their timeline is, I see us not making the playoffs next year, either. But I'm just guessing odds. A lot could still happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting the players that excel as a team is what is difficult. It all starts with Murray. What kind of players will excel around him as the existing crew does not. If finding the right players that fit around Murray does not work then Murray needs to go. The reality is we are just hoping that guys like Primo and Vassel, plus new picks learn to play off Murray and somehow we strike lightning in a bottle. So, it may be sometime before we get out of the mud that usually belongs to the Kings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting the players that excel as a team is what is difficult. It all starts with Murray. What kind of players will excel around him as the existing crew does not. If finding the right players that fit around Murray does not work then Murray needs to go. The reality is we are just hoping that guys like Primo and Vassel, plus new picks learn to play off Murray and somehow we strike lightning in a bottle. So, it may be sometime before we get out of the mud that usually belongs to the Kings.
    Fair points. The other scenario is the team finds another star to either complement Murray, or the opposite, where Murray complements them. I'd say either way we still need a star player that is equal to or better than Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for players who "are not worthy" (to use Zeus' parlance), definitely get rid of McB in any scenario as far as I care. But seems we will be stuck with him because I don't see what team wants him at that price and the only option most likely would be to have to attach something of value to make him palatable to another team, which has drawbacks as we are trying to build draft picks not lose them. Other than that, we have various other players who haven't shown much yet but will likely keep to look for progress unless we make some big moves and push our timeline up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I absolutely hope to never see McLovin or Walker play another game as a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for players who "are not worthy" (to use Zeus' parlance), definitely get rid of McB in any scenario as far as I care. But seems we will be stuck with him because I don't see what team wants him at that price and the only option most likely would be to have to attach something of value to make him palatable to another team, which has drawbacks as we are trying to build draft picks not lose them. Other than that, we have various other players who haven't shown much yet but will likely keep to look for progress unless we make some big moves and push our timeline up.
    McD's not good here, because we have no player with real 'gravity'. He would thrive without defenses that can literally switch everything with him, and run him off the line.

In a league where players are making $45-50M, his contract is next to nothing. I mean, Russell Westbrook and John Wall were both moved last summer with nearly no game left, and contracts like 3X McD's.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep DJ, primo, devin, tre, poeltl KJ why not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for getting rid of whomever we need to that's not expanding the base talent level of the team, athletically, or physically, or skill-wise. I am absolutely fed up being the team that gives up career highs to people because our defenders are dribbled and scored on, around, through, or with no resistance due to poor BB IQ. This franchise used to hang its hat on DEFENSE first, last, and always, and simply no longer does so. Thus, give me stronger, taller, faster, smarter, better at each position until this team is restored to decades long greatness.

That said, we all just need some burn...if he's still there at 20 or 25, he's a future stud.

People seem to be taking for granted a big man with sweet feet and an ability to score routinely and without help in the paint. That's also an ingredient missing since Timmy retired. Everything flows from there.

In summary, I say you ship each and everyone out sooner rather than later that isn't making progress toward that goal. I'm not sure there's 1 keeper on this team anymore if the Spurs don't wish to be mired in a decade of mediocrity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully McD is the last in the series of collosal re ed mistakes from the Pop - Byrn Fobes ERA circa 2017 - 2021.

How to unload his salary? No idea, but it may be good to take an expiring just to continue the rebuild process that is 4 years overdue.
    At least it's began.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no issue hanging onto KBD if it as a 3rd string 4 or small ball 5. He is cheap enough and you need cheap depth and he has "corporate knowledge". Ex is always saying McBuckets needs to play with someone who has gravity to free him up more and I was thinking Atlanta might be such a place. Not advocating trying to get Collins and I am not even sure who we could take back to match the salary but they did have a glut of players that fit the description of what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully McD is the last in the series of collosal re ed mistakes from the Pop - Byrn Fobes ERA circa 2017 - 2021.

How to unload his salary? No idea, but it may be good to take an expiring just to continue the rebuild process that is 4 years overdue.
    At least it's began.
    No team with cap space is going to absorb him. I’m sure multiple playoff caliber teams who are already over the cap and looking to add depth would send hopefully smaller contracts of a 1yr term if we include a few SRPs.

Thread Information