Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1651
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent: not informing Dejounte about the trades (it seems) may be smart. Not sure I trust him with inside info. Great player but maybe too impulsive to keep those type of secrets on the hush hush.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man it's been a while since I've seen SpurTalk so laggy lol was a blast watching the deadline roll in, nice work everyone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I know, they only got one second in this flurry - - the meh 2027 second from Utah.
    We can be charitable and include the one from the Forbes deal, which could be pretty decent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Richardson is the ultimate average NBA guy, not great, not terrible, not notable, not hatable. His career ORtg/DRtg is 108/109, and this season, after 44 games and 1087 minutes played, his BPM is exactly 0.0...

https://www.basketball-reference.com...richajo01.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow what a strong argument

Spurs just traded their best PNR guard in Derrick. As much assists Murray makes, they're more mechanical(?) and not like the Tre/CP3 above-the-rim passes that Collins like. That's my reservation on Collins as the main guy. He's more of a very good 2nd/3rd option. Spurs still need that go-to scorer. It could be a postup PF/C or a Ja Morant type athletic guard.
    you're acting like DJ can't throw alley-oop passes. He did that in his first season with Dewayne Dedmon already. Also John Collins is like the best roll man in the NBA. He creates 1.49 points per posession on rolls. If DJ can spoon feed Jakob, feeding Collins would be even easier since he can also play above the rim. Collins is like 41st in scoring and 100th in attempts while having an 59% eFG and shooting from everywhere including the 3-point line. His numbers would jump up a lot if you just give him more shots. He'd be the 2nd best player on the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they get a real first that's more value than the Aaron Gordon deal more than other similar bigs went for Capela Adams Valaciunas. They won't get that for a 1 year rental. I don't think they would resign him.
    I still think they'd get a similar offer in the off season. If/when he gets traded in the off season, there's no reason to think he wouldn't extend or re-sign.

Winners . . .

Nets: Three key players being small guards is less than ideal, but they got rid of a distraction and balanced/deepened the roster.

76ers: Wouldn't want to pay his next contract, but it'll be more digestible with a championship and this is their first legit shot since the 80s.

Celtics: Not the pure play maker or big wing they needed, but can dabble in both, among other things.

Bucks: Didn't get the big wing, but did get the big and cleared out logjam at the two.

Suns: Got a much needed big wing.

Kings: Got a starting two, balanced their roster.

Spurs: Finally picked a direction, deepened their draft capital.

Losers . . .

Mavericks: Traded one bad contract for two with lesser upside.

Raptors: Probably traded down 12ish spots for a superfluous player who doesn't have a discernible path to significant minutes or move the needle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Richardson is the ultimate average NBA guy, not great, not terrible, not notable, not hatable. His career ORtg/DRtg is 108/109, and this season, after 44 games and 1087 minutes played, his BPM is exactly 0.0...

https://www.basketball-reference.com...richajo01.html
    makes him the third best player on the team statistically then

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No point in talking about Collins now, we'll see how things go in the summer.

Final chance for Lonnie to earn a contract, more space for Primo and Devin, we'll also go down in the standings, couldn't ask for more.

This is unprecedented for the Spurs, they either want to draft someone badly or there's a big deal coming up. Either way, we weren't getting anywhere with DJ+Derrick combo and atrocious spacing around them.

I think Collins ship has sailed with White, time to follow this draft class closely. I don't think we'll use all 3 picks, there will be a trade up for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope that Raptors pick works out because I always felt they owed us one and I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda intentionally sunk into the blade a bit to pay us back if they do end up dropping 12 picks which I would view as being made whole again from that situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope that Raptors pick works out because I always felt they owed us one and I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda intentionally sunk into the blade a bit to pay us back if they do end up dropping 12 picks which I would view as being made whole again from that situation.
    It's a win for the Spurs provided it goes to projections (it should, but with the divergence in luck between the two franchises, I wouldn't be shocked otherwise), but pales in comparison to what the Spurs did for them.

Why would the Celtics, who start Brown and Tatum, necessarily be in need of a big wing? I'd guess a versatile combo guard like White is exactly what they needed.
    Because neither can credibly play the four full time. G. Williams is their only player who can and while his development into an apparent sniper has been a boon for them, he's more of a third big.

So basically, they'll continue to start too big and close too small.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs just traded their best PNR guard in Derrick. As much assists Murray makes, they're more mechanical(?) and not like the Tre/CP3 above-the-rim passes that Collins like. That's my reservation on Collins as the main guy. He's more of a very good 2nd/3rd option. Spurs still need that go-to scorer. It could be a postup PF/C or a Ja Morant type athletic guard.
    I mean are we getting the number 2 pick in the draft? Cause thats the only way you get a "Ja Morant type athletic guard"

Trading our best PNR guard doesn't mean much cause when we did have our best PNR guard we were one of the 5 worst teams in basketball so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent: not informing Dejounte about the trades (it seems) may be smart. Not sure I trust him with inside info. Great player but maybe too impulsive to keep those type of secrets on the hush hush.
    Still young, but as the face of the franchise, DJ should eventually know when it’s not personal but for the good of the team, and his input would start to be comsidered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean are we getting the number 2 pick in the draft? Cause thats the only way you get a "Ja Morant type athletic guard"

Trading our best PNR guard doesn't mean much cause when we did have our best PNR guard we were one of the 5 worst teams in basketball so
    Except there’s no “Collins type” to pass to. Catch 22. But my point is, John Collins is still not that “go-to scorer” as he is more a complimentary role to Tre. And without “Tre like” guard, I’m not sure how effective Collins would still be. The Nash/Stoudamire comes to mind.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except there’s no “Collins type” to pass to. Catch 22. But my point is, John Collins is still not that “go-to scorer” as he is more a complimentary role to Tre. And without “Tre like” guard, I’m not sure how effective Collins would still be. The Nash/Stoudamire comes to mind.
    We don't need Collins to be a go to scorer. We need him to shoot open 3's, take advantage of mismatches, defend the rim, and not embarass himself defensively. John Collins is not the answer to all of our problems. We will still be a team with roster flaws with him. But he is the answer that gets us to the next roster flaw question. He might also be the answer to that question because with collins at the 4 we can stop with this keldon at the 4 and move him to his natural position at the 3.

I look at it less from a how effective he would be perspective and more from he allows us to be a modern nba team perspective.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moses Brown released by the Mavs. It might be an interesting pickup as we churn the end of the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i like Jakob for what he is, but was really hoping he'd get packaged for a great return. Any rumor about fielded trades that didn't go thru for Jak???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moses Brown released by the Mavs. It might be an interesting pickup as we churn the end of the roster.
    I think we can wait for something better than an undrafted 7 footer with no 3/point shot. There will be a Flurry of guys cut after the trade deadline, and around the playoff roster deadline. If it comes down to it, Moses will still be there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i like Jakob for what he is, but was really hoping he'd get packaged for a great return. Any rumor about fielded trades that didn't go thru for Jak???
    There was a lot of smoke around Charlotte. They chose to sacrifice defense and go with Trez Harrell. His contract is up this summer, so they will have need of a Center again.

I don’t want to trade Jak unless the return is top notch. If we sign or draft a young C prospect next year, I’m comfortable with him as a one year mentor, and then rolling off, or a summer S&T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta hand it to Toronto-- they've managed their team very well for a number of years now. The Kawhi trade was a daring one, and resulted in a championship-- and then post-championship, they eventually lost 5 of their top 7 players from that team-- Kawhi, Lowry, Danny Green, Serge, Gasol-- and only had one down year as a result, going 27-45 before bouncing back this year to be in the playoff hunt again. I really hope Thaddeus has a good playoff run with them because he deserves it after being stuck in a pretty tough situation, sitting on the bench for a tanking team, watching guys like Eubanks, Forbes, & Walker get more minutes than him. Just look at the disparity in the evaluation of his game: In San Antonio, there was actually a Thad vs Eubanks discussion, but for Toronto Thad was worthy of a FRP while Eubanks was immediately waived as nothing more than trade fodder... It's understandable that the Spurs were in rebuild mode, but also understandable that Thad would've been upset wasting half a season this late in his career...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta hand it to Toronto-- they've managed their team very well for a number of years now. The Kawhi trade was a daring one, and resulted in a championship-- and then post-championship, they eventually lost 5 of their top 7 players from that team-- Kawhi, Lowry, Danny Green, Serge, Gasol-- and only had one down year as a result, going 27-45 before bouncing back this year to be in the playoff hunt again. I really hope Thaddeus has a good playoff run with them because he deserves it after being stuck in a pretty tough situation, sitting on the bench for a tanking team, watching guys like Eubanks, Forbes, & Walker get more minutes than him. Just look at the disparity in the evaluation of his game: In San Antonio, there was actually a Thad vs Eubanks discussion, but for Toronto Thad was worthy of a FRP while Eubanks was immediately waived as nothing more than trade fodder... It's understandable that the Spurs were in rebuild mode, but also understandable that Thad would've been upset wasting half a season this late in his career...
    Fans had a Thad vs. Eubanks discussion. I assure you, the coaches did not.

Don’t know if you’ve been keeping up, but the bench time for Thad was pretty intentional. We wanted to flip him to a playoff team, but he had a playoff bonus in his contract. He needed a certain amount of games played, and it is now impossible for him to meet the threshold. Holding him out made it easier to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans had a Thad vs. Eubanks discussion. I assure you, the coaches did not.

Don’t know if you’ve been keeping up, but the bench time for Thad was pretty intentional. We wanted to flip him to a playoff team, but he had a playoff bonus in his contract. He needed a certain amount of games played, and it is now impossible for him to meet the threshold. Holding him out made it easier to trade him.
    That is such nonsense. That bonus was 150k. That is such a rounding error in any NBA trade. You are smarter than this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is such nonsense. That bonus was 150k. That is such a rounding error in any NBA trade. You are smarter than this.
    That’s $150K that Toronto doesn’t have to pay, or insist we pay in the trade. It would also be subject to the tax, and there are repeat offenders that pay 3X salary for everything over the cap. Suddenly, that bonus ain’t so tiny. We had no idea where he was going, so smart money says e the bonus.

You’re en led to your view, and I won’t call you stupid like you did me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't actually think the bonus had much to do with it. Young's bonus not being met actually hurt the team's chances of trading him, because his incoming salary was actually lower than his outgoing salary. Not that most STers would consider it a huge harm, but the Spurs could not have completed the Young/Dragic trade by including Landale instead of Eubanks. They had to trade Drew, because Thad only counted for $13.1 Million, meaning the Spurs had to send out $1.4 Million in additional salary to get within matching distance for Dragic. Had Young reached the threshold, the team would have only needed to send out about $400k, meaning any contract would have been enough.

I don't actually mind the Spurs picking Landale over Eubanks, especially if that's what they would have wanted regardless of cir stance. But if they truly did want to keep Drew and ended up not being able to, then they have no one else to blame but themselves for their Thad strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't actually think the bonus had much to do with it. Young's bonus not being met actually hurt the team's chances of trading him, because his incoming salary was actually lower than his outgoing salary. Not that most STers would consider it a huge harm, but the Spurs could not have completed the Young/Dragic trade by including Landale instead of Eubanks. They had to trade Drew, because Thad only counted for $13.1 Million, meaning the Spurs had to send out $1.4 Million in additional salary to get within matching distance for Dragic. Had Young reached the threshold, the team would have only needed to send out about $400k, meaning any contract would have been enough.

I don't actually mind the Spurs picking Landale over Eubanks, especially if that's what they would have wanted regardless of cir stance. But if they truly did want to keep Drew and ended up not being able to, then they have no one else to blame but themselves for their Thad strategy.
    Edit nvm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s $150K that Toronto doesn’t have to pay, or insist we pay in the trade. It would also be subject to the tax, and there are repeat offenders that pay 3X salary for everything over the cap. Suddenly, that bonus ain’t so tiny. We had no idea where he was going, so smart money says e the bonus.

You’re en led to your view, and I won’t call you stupid like you did me.
    Playing Thad quality minutes nightly risked injury at the expense of our ability to give other players
    opportunity to prove their worth. He was always gone after this season one way or another. They played his situation pretty well. Thad for an FRP and an expiring was never a likely outcome outright.

Yesterday’s result was a solid deal for both sides and that 150k bonus if still in play would have not been an issue.

That 150k could have potentially worked to both sides advantage in another trade to get something done. You are putting way too much thought into it. There is no way anyone could strategize to that dollar figure months in advance.

Thread Information