Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you guys are all focusing on the tank and hoping for the best pick but it looks like PATFO is aiming for the Play-In. Considering the schedule we have a great shoot at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing and beating the Lakers in the play-in would be a nice consolation prize for not getting a top 5 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing and beating the Lakers in the play-in would be a nice consolation prize for not getting a top 5 pick.
    Hey, both could happen! Beat Lakers in 9-10 game, lose the next play-in, and lottery balls pop up the right way!

In all seriousness, win or lose here, treating the remaining stretch like the playoffs is great experience for the team. Better than being out of it in February like many of the teams below them.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting to the play-in is short sighted. Ugh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honesty at the point at which your record projects you to pick closer to 10 than 7, i don’t see much downside in trying to make a run for the play in. You’re already entering the middling/meh part of the draft anyway where you’re choosing between the Duartes, Primos, and Moodys of the world.

Frustrating but hopefully it balances out with whatever psychological benefits flows to the players of pushing for the goal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm rooting for the play-in, hopefully knocking out the Lakers would make the season a success. Also, while difficult to judge, player development is better when they play meaningful games. Look at Primo yesterday - he was supposed to spend the season in the gleague and now he's starting and playing 35 minutes in the most important game of the season. Important to notice how Pop played him over Josh Richardson down the stretch, because of his defense. Does anyone think Suggs, for example, is developing at all right now?

Besides, this draft is bad, there's very little talent difference between picks 6 - 14.

Regarding the play-in, it's important to know the Spurs hold the tie breaker with NO (3-1) and will most likely do so against Lakers as well (2-2 but having a better record against western teams). In a 3-way tie the Spurs would come on top. The remaining schedule is very interesting for all teams :
    https://www.tankathon.com/spurs
    https://www.tankathon.com/pelicans
    https://www.tankathon.com/lakers

On paper Lakers have the toughest schedule but it's difficult to say what strength teams will field for the last games.

It seems like 35 wins will be enough to make the play-in, maybe 34 if some team continues to struggle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And getting thrashed in the 1st round while getting the 15th pick as consolation, instead of getting a shot at top 4 however small chance that is, still a chance. Nah.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As most fans know, you’re just wasting time without a franchise player. 50% of the best players in the NBA are top 4 draft picks. This leads me to three scenarios as to why they would go for the play in:

1. For Pop to retire with a playoff team
    2. They know they will be acquiring a franchise player in free agency so they don’t care about the pick. I believe the only two that they could acquire are Ayton and Lavine.
    3. The NBA has decided the Spurs should be trapped in purgatory for at least another year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am here. Thanks for the thread!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im disappointed the spurs arent losing games at this point, but it is important to maintain a culture of winning tbh you look and every year it’s the same teams at the bottom praying for ping pong balls lol We most likely have 3 first round picks in the upcoming draft (plus a 2nd rounder) and cap flexibility. At the very least we have lots of flexibility the spurs can choose to play with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To hope for a tank at this point is defeatist. They won’t end with a top pick and there is very little separation on talent between picks 8-10 or even below that. Also, the Spurs would alienate the players, DJ specially by closing shop early while they are trying to make the play in game and still have a chance. The last thing you want as a player and leader is for Pop to believe you can’t make it and hold you back. It doesn’t make sense this late tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's WAY easier to find examples of contenders that didn't get where they are by tanking than finding one that did. Assuming the Spurs are going to draft their next franchise player seems extremely antiquated. The Spurs have to sell themselves to free agents and sell their players/prospects to potential trade partners. Being bad doesn't do that. Having guys like Murray and Johnson stepping up, seeing ballast like Richardson or prospects like Primo playing important roles does. People keep trying to say the Spurs are dumb for not tanking in order to use their scouting expertise to draft a star. They don't consider that the Spurs might not be tanking BECAUSE their vaunted scouts told them it wasn't worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Spurs are a big market, they have a bigger chance of drafting their next franchise player (26% top 4 at 8th), than a top tier player (most likely disgruntled) coming to San Antonio, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was clear they were never tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Spurs are a big market, they have a bigger chance of drafting their next franchise player (26% top 4 at 8th), than a top tier player (most likely disgruntled) coming to San Antonio, imo.
    Perhaps, but getting a top 4 pick isn't the same as getting a franchise player, much less the kind of a franchise player that can lead a team to le contention. Specifically in this draft there don't seem to be real tier 1 prospects. Holmgren and Smith have 2nd/3rd banana ceilings. Banchero and Ivey could be really good but they have much lower floors. Sharpe is a complete wild card. It's not a great draft as a whole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' will likely finish somewhere between the 7th and 9th worst record in the league.

A full-on tank might get them up (down?) to the 7th worst record.

A play-in berth would get them the 9th worst record (assuming they don't win two road games in row against higher seeded teams).

If they try to tank but don't get to 7 or try to win and don't get to 9, they'll be at 8 (possibly the most likely outcome).

The chances of getting a top 4 pick are as follows:

7th worst record -- 31.9%

8th worst record -- 26.2%

9th worst record -- 20.2%

That's about a 10% difference between going all out to win and trying to lose every game. A one in ten difference is, at most, what all this fuss is about.

The more likely difference is between 8 and 9, so a mere 5% difference is more realistically what all this fuss is about.

Tanking or not tanking is not a binary thing, although as humans we're programmed to think that way. Rather this situation is incremental, statistical. And you don't get points for trying (or not trying) or thinking good/bad thoughts, although again as humans we're programmed to think that way. That's why when people are asked whether they want a 50% chance to get something rather than 50% of losing something, when it's exactly the same choice, they react differently. And I think that's why we're so excited about trying to lose games in this case.

If you had a 20% of winning some bet, how much better would you feel if you had a 26% chance of winning? Would it make that much difference?

I hope the Spurs to go out and play hard and try to get better as a young team. The "fates" may reward you more for that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's best tonight for the play in, a Pels or Lakers win ? imo it's a Pels win, Lakers having a tougher schedule i think spurs could go ahead of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we go through all this and make the play-in game just to be sent home by Lebron and the lakers this will be one of the worst Spurs seasons in franchise history tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's best tonight for the play in, a Pels or Lakers win ? imo it's a Pels win, Lakers having a tougher schedule i think spurs could go ahead of them.
    Lakers loss would be better obviously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Later picks can and have happened. But most of todays *stars* are top 5 picks.

15th Greek Freak
    15th Kwa Leonard
    13th Booker
    7th Steffi Curry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm rooting for the play-in, hopefully knocking out the Lakers would make the season a success.
    If that makes your season a success, the suck factor of losing to the Flamers in the play in has to be considered vs upping the draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no clear stars in this lottery, even at the top. Banchero may be the most polished right now, but it's not clear that he'll be much more than a Randle-type player. Top picks wind up being very expensive. I'm not even sure the Spurs want to bother with that mess. Regardless of draft position they're liable to do something really odd and surprising.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This upcoming draft is interesting, I keep hearing it’s deep but there’s no sure thing from the players I’ve been watching imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are never any guarantees, but let's not kid ourselves: there's an ABYSMAL difference between (the chance at) picking in the top 4 vs (the certainty of) picking outside the top 10, just for the opportunity to be slapped by the first opponent we meet... I understand the culture aspect of it, and I don't imply that you tell your players to lose, but it's undeniably better for the Spurs long term NOT to make the play in... Rationalizing otherwise is just sour grapes...
    Last edited by Ariel; 03-27-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information