timvp

Name: Gary Payton
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 180 lbs.
    Pos: PG
    Born: July 23, 1968, Oakland, California
    Drafted: 1990, 1st round, 2nd pick by SuperSonics
    College: Oregon State

Gary Payton is a free agent this summer. The Spurs thought about trading for him before and will have an open chance at him this offseason.

I like what Payton brings to the table. He's a great compe or and has a lot of fire. He isn't afraid to take and make the big shots. Of all the free agents, he might be the biggest game breaker of them all.

The questions regarding Payton are:

1) Can he play the two? He wouldn't be as effective as Parker at the point, so he'd have to slide over to the shooting guard position.

2) Is he worth signing to a big contract at his age? He's been through a lot of wars ... does he still have the legs?

3) Is he compatible to the rest of the team? He's a great compe or and leader, but sometimes is viewed as selfish. Can he mesh with the current roster?

I like Payton as a backup option. If the Spurs don't win the Championship and it is apparent that they need a clutch perimeter player, they should look no further than Gary Payton.

Jimcs50
    To paraphrase OJ: The Glove DOES not fit!

Patrick Davis
    Spurs don't need a guard. Parker, Manu and Jack are a good future for the Spurs. Payton is another point guard that we don't need.

If I don't want Kidd, I definitely don't want an even older Payton.

SpursForever
    You need consuling if you think Payton would play second fiddle to Parker.

Patrick Davis
    you just need counseling.

KoriEllis
    Gary Payton is an interesting idea. His veteran leadership and playoff experience would be a plus.

I would only want him if he came real cheap. I don't think he will and I don't think the Spurs actually need him.

kohai
    I don't see what all of the fuss is about. GP made one trip the the Finals amidst a career of early playoff flameouts.

I thought that the one Seattle columnist hit the nail on the head in his column the day after the trade. He said that GP wasn't the problem, but he also wasn't the solution. Wise man.

Marcus Bryant
    Hmmm....would GP like to get paid and finish his career competing for les with TD on his side? Um....yeah.

timvp
    Indeed.

Duncan and Payton are said to have a good relationship. The Spurs could get Payton if they want him.

spurster
    How much for how long? Is Payton willing to accept 30 mins/game? Payton for 3 years plus a decent bigman with the cap space is an alternative to Kidd for 6 years and not enough money for a decent bigman. Maybe not better, but the Spurs could do worse.

timvp
    Payton will probably not be able to garner a MAX contract based on the few number of teams that have cap space. I can see his contract starting anywhere from $5M to $9M.

This is a backup option the Spurs should look at. I wouldn't go into the summer with Payton as my number one option, however.

Big Syke
    Payton on the Spurs doesn't sound like it would work. Payton fights too much with his teammates. Nobody likes him. He hogs the ball.

Why should we even think about getting him?

MadeFromDust
    If Kidd maintains his last stance saying he will resign with NJ, then I am all for getting Payton. GP r u wit me?

Ed Helicopter Jones
    I like the GP idea more than Kidd, especially if the price is right.

Signing GP and another upper tier free-agent, as opposed to signing Kidd and some scraps to fill out the roster, seems much more appealing to me.

Big Syke
    He has cancer written all over him.

Guru of Nothing
    He has cancer written all over him.
    Incorrect. Payton is not a Cancer. You are two days off. Payton was born on July 23rd and is in fact a Leo.

SequSpur
    Sign him up

Patrick Davis
    Payton would fit great, 10 years ago. Get someone who we can build around, not worry about them retiring.

Ghost Writer
    Gee, I wonder if we would've won a le last year and this year had we done the right thing and traded Parker, Rose and Daniels for Payton back in 2001.

This has a nice ring to it:

Duncan
    Bowen
    Robinson
    Payton
    Jackson

But, yeah, I know... what if Parker becomes as good as Payton someday.

Right. And I'm still waiting for Chris Carrawell to become the next Reggie Miller.

timvp
    Here we go again ...

The Spurs would have got beat by the Lakers last year with Payton. Payton isn't > Kobe which is needed when Shaq is > Duncan.

If Shaq is greater than or equal to Duncan and how Kobe is greater than Payton, then please explain ...

Duncan + Payton > Shaq + Kobe

Morphgizmo
    If the Spurs grabbed Kidd then I certainly wouldn't complain, but I think Payton is a better overall option if the Spurs go small in free agency.

Both players can D-up like mothers and do fairly well guarding two's.

Payton, unlike Kidd can get and hit his own shot when the offense breaks down late in the shot clock.

Both guys get others involved. Kidd is obviously better at it, but I think Payton does it better in the half-court set because he can set up in the post and draw double teams. Kidd gets others involved because he's a phenomenal passer. Payton gets others involved because his offensive game is respected.

Kidd definitely has three or four years more than Payton left in the tank. But if you don't plan on getting rid of Parker, then I see that as a good thing.

Kidd will ask for and receive the max. Payton might demand it, but I think he'll settle for less given the market conditions.

I would much rather the Spurs go big this summer with a Brand or O'Neal. But if they can't, I think Payton would be just as effective as Kidd over that time frame. Give me Manu, Payton and Parker at the one and two, while Jack and Bowen dominate the three while filling in as needed at the two.

timvp
    Good post, Morph.

You make a good case for GP. He'd certainly help when the Spurs get bogged down in their offense. He can hit the big shot time and again.

If you are thinking long-term, Kidd is the player to get between the two. But for one season, it is more of a question.

Ghost Writer
    timvp, you're right about:

Duncan + Payton < Shaq + Kobe

... but if Duncan + Parker had the Spurs in every game last playoffs until the bitter end, methinks Payton would've been enough to put us over the top.

Remember, you said yourself that our supporting cast is/was superior to the Lakers.

timvp
    The addition of Payton would have been nuetralized by the subtraction of Parker, Rose, Daniels and SSmith.

You can't tell me Payton is more valuable than those four.

pfc2002
    Not to mention the fact that SJax has come up straight up and said he wasn't ready to play last year. He was a nightmare, which he admitted. He matured because of last year -- which he also is quoted as saying (from the Port Arthur paper). add the fact that Rose was a HUGE part of the Lakers series last year.

You better hope Ghost that we don't win it all this year because that will go down as one of the greatest things never to have happened for the spurs. Can you imagine how bad it would look for an idiot who still defends it with 10000+ posts...

Thread Information