Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo’s already back with Austin, and on the road for at least two games.
    Didn't know that but makes sense on 4 days off, I am sure he will be on the RRT.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he keeps this up his next contract will double.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know that but makes sense on 4 days off, I am sure he will be on the RRT.
    Maybe part of it. Because of the CBA, NBA players are not permitted to play during the ASB, and that includes gleague games for assignees. They may take him on half of the trip, and have him spend time in Austin the other half, since he’ll miss the time during the ASB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure if you’re offering

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure if you’re offering
    it's got nuts if you don't mind those in your mouth

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wrong about DJ. Guy matured... big-time. He is doing real great things for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From where he started to where he is now
    Quite impressive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I remember when we offered him that 4 year contract and people were ting on him because he was still coming off his injury from the year prior. Some people already called it a bad contract. Look at him now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt the fan vote only a portion of the vote though now? crazy that he still got selected as a starter, he shouldnt be anywhere near an AS team, i figured the player + coach vote would have knocked his ass off
    Because media members only voted for a handful of players, all the players who got no votes go points as if they were 9th (or something) in media vote. So very hard to wash out a dumb fan vote.

Players voting for Wiggins effectively guaranteed his spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same ppl who doubted DJ for his haircut, watch, colourful shoes, his confidence, instgram account and oh yeah can’t forget the rough upbringing is exactly what is wrong with Spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I remember when we offered him that 4 year contract and people were ting on him because he was still coming off his injury from the year prior. Some people already called it a bad contract. Look at him now.
    Anyone with half a brain knew that was a great deal for both sides. I think New Balance gave him another 30ms like the next day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for DJM. He's worked very hard and it's nice recognition. It's tough to make the All Star team when you play for a team with less than a .500 record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't remember Murray's upbringing being an issue for STers. I remember the with his dad trying to take credit for him and DJM being like, "Nah". I also remember Murray talking about the Spurs "saving his life". I'm not doubting he had a rough upbringing, but I don't think that was a knock on him. "IG Baller", as stupid as that nickname is, isn't about gang life. He's always said and usually always did the right things on and off the court. The most "thuggish" thing he's done as a Spur was him going at Harden a few years ago. Dude's gotten five techs in his whole career.

Of course, that's Murray as an NBA player. Maybe teams did overrate the effect whatever upbringing would have. Maybe in college it was something he struggled with. But I don't think he's had to struggle against the label in the pros. Outside of his words and maybe a bit involving KPJ, I think it's been a non-issue in his perception.

I do wonder though if that's played any role in DJM not getting more ad time. Originally, I did think he would crave that attention. I still think losing his sister played a role in him not doing the HEB commercials this year, but maybe they didn't want him? That'd be ed up if he were missing out on legit ad money (outside of his shoe deal) because of a "history" that's been a non-factor forever and as far as I know was never bad in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so good, I'm really happy for Dejounte. Whilst some may scoff at the All-Star game the fact is it's a huge marker for a player and he must be so incredibly proud of himself.

Hopefully this educates a certain demographic of SpursTalk as well - the IG Baller stuff was always misplaced. Some players like to to promote their hard work, others don't and neither is right or wrong. Just because you are old and white it doesn't mean you can diminish & doubt how someone else promotes their own work without evidence to back it up. What matters is the improvement and it's clear DeJounte has been putting in valuable, thoughtful work - his shooting, dribbling and PnR passing in particular has improved so much in the last 24 months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might actually watch the ASG this year! Congrats to Dejounte!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I've been busy at work all day and just found out about this. I don't post that often anymore here nor do I watch much basketball these days (not a big fan of the way the game is played now, tbh) but I still keep track of stuff as a Spurs fan for life and this is just great news. Really happy for DJM!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I've been busy at work all day and just found out about this. I don't post that often anymore here nor do I watch much basketball these days (not a big fan of the way the game is played now, tbh) but I still keep track of stuff as a Spurs fan for life and this is just great news. Really happy for DJM!
    I haven’t been posting much here lately either but thought you were still around. I have to eat my crow now since White has peaked and Murray turned out to be the better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grats to DJ, he deserves this recognition.

Excellent body of work thus far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t been posting much here lately either but thought you were still around. I have to eat my crow now since White has peaked and Murray turned out to be the better player.
    I’m glad Murray is as good as I thought he’d be but it sucks that White is just not as good as we were hoping he’d be. Though I’ve never been as taken with him as many here were, I’ve kept hoping he’d prove me wrong. Still a serviceable player but not on Murray’s level. Oh well, here’s to finally having an All Star again!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    congrats to DJ ... well deserved ... have not watched an ASG for quite some time so maybe i need to tune in this time

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in Vancouver/Toronto. San Antonio is absolutely a C level city for some but smart ppl make sacrifices for their careers. Having DJ here helps at the margin for a team that needs every bit of help they can to recruit players on the move.

San Antonio isnt black enough for the nba and isn’t white enough for america.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't remember Murray's upbringing being an issue for STers. I remember the with his dad trying to take credit for him and DJM being like, "Nah". I also remember Murray talking about the Spurs "saving his life". I'm not doubting he had a rough upbringing, but I don't think that was a knock on him. "IG Baller", as stupid as that nickname is, isn't about gang life. He's always said and usually always did the right things on and off the court. The most "thuggish" thing he's done as a Spur was him going at Harden a few years ago. Dude's gotten five techs in his whole career.

Of course, that's Murray as an NBA player. Maybe teams did overrate the effect whatever upbringing would have. Maybe in college it was something he struggled with. But I don't think he's had to struggle against the label in the pros. Outside of his words and maybe a bit involving KPJ, I think it's been a non-issue in his perception.

I do wonder though if that's played any role in DJM not getting more ad time. Originally, I did think he would crave that attention. I still think losing his sister played a role in him not doing the HEB commercials this year, but maybe they didn't want him? That'd be ed up if he were missing out on legit ad money (outside of his shoe deal) because of a "history" that's been a non-factor forever and as far as I know was never bad in the first place.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...jamal-crawford

Sounds like he was actually a gang banger, and JCrawford spotted him early, and pulled him away from that.

I remember a few whispers about him being available last summer, and if he was possibly going to be traded, they wouldn’t be able to run the commercials he was in. I’d hope that was the reason he wasn’t in them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds like he was actually a gang banger, and JCrawford spotted him early, and pulled him away from that.

I remember a few whispers about him being available last summer, and if he was possibly going to be traded, they wouldn’t be able to run the commercials he was in. I’d hope that was the reason he wasn’t in them.
    Thanks it was a good read, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear DeJounte go into a bit more detail in whatever feature interview he gets later this month. His tweet bringing up his past again can be seen as a signal he's ready to talk. At the same time, I still didn't get the impression he did anything that bad. He seemed too young to really get into trouble (though apparently being black adds like 10 years in law enforcement's eyes). I'm glad he overcame it for his sake and ours.

I also considered the trade rumors as a reason for the HEB commercials. I don't know how much I believe it, as I doubt the organization would be direct with how close of a trade possibility DJM was compared to White and the others. I know I had him on the block above those guys, but I never thought the Spurs did. Keldon as the gold medalist made sense. But White and Poeltl don't exactly scream photogenic. As I said, Murray I doubt was in the mood to do them, and even if HEB stayed away because of his "past", I doubt that stops them next year. I don't live in the SA area, so I don't see local ads very often outside of games. Has he been in any small spots? I have seen other guys (especially Keldon) getting local air time. Not Murray though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt the fan vote only a portion of the vote though now? crazy that he still got selected as a starter, he shouldnt be anywhere near an AS team, i figured the player + coach vote would have knocked his ass off
    Don't underestimate the GS bandwagoners

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks. It was a good read. That character of perseverance, coming out from that environment, having a chip on his shoulder, the way other people viewed him, even at the green room, really shows his development in overcoming. He’s not a quitter and will not back down. I guess that image of him pushing Harden back, 100 lbs on him but not backing down. All that with a great at ude is propelling him up. He was lucky to had Crawford, but equally lucky to be with the organization like Spurs with top notched people. He could very well have been in a lousy organization, mismanaged and who knows how bad that would be on his development also as a person. I think finally getting tapped in the AS, and who knows what else, MIP? 1st Team All-Defense? DJ will just continue to improve and we’re just seeing the beginning of a HOF career. Congrats Dejounte!

Thread Information