Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much skepticism as I have for Richardson, I think he's more worth his contract than Zach Collins is his. Richardson isn't a good player -- he just looks the part sometimes. That's why he keeps getting moved. I don't want him on the team unless he happens to fit the scheme really well and returns to his Miami productivity. But as a mid-sized expiring who's also a rotation-caliber wing, he'll be the same kind of buoyant ballast Thad was this season. Hopefully Pop gives him a real chance to prove himself, not just for value's sake but also for morale's sake. Guys who want to buy in and compete should get their chances.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FiveThirty Eight WAR

249) 0.4 Devontae Cacok, Nic Claxton, Malachi Flynn, De'Aaron Fox, Josh Giddey, Anthony Gill, JaMychal Green, Markus Howard, Bones Hyland, Isaiah Joe, Stanley Johnson, Trey Lyles, Kenyon Martin Jr., Shake Milton, Greg Monroe, Norman Powell, Taurean Prince, Josh Richardson, Terry Taylor, Matt Thomas, Killian Tillie, Lou Williams, Dylan Windler, Justise Winslow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much skepticism as I have for Richardson, I think he's more worth his contract than Zach Collins is his. Richardson isn't a good player -- he just looks the part sometimes. That's why he keeps getting moved. I don't want him on the team unless he happens to fit the scheme really well and returns to his Miami productivity. But as a mid-sized expiring who's also a rotation-caliber wing, he'll be the same kind of buoyant ballast Thad was this season. Hopefully Pop gives him a real chance to prove himself, not just for value's sake but also for morale's sake. Guys who want to buy in and compete should get their chances.
    Josh is more than serviceable to fill a role players position, he can shoot and defend! That’s his role here….

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of you are forgetting our team as it is comprised are full of role players, the key for us is to find that go to pillar. It takes time….
    Last edited by Atl Spur; 02-11-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a 2nd round pick #40 ... the fact that he's still in the NBA means he's an overachiever.

He played for 4 years in college.

In his 4th year with the Heat, he was averaging 16.6 ppg and started the entire season.

His career high is 37 points, against the GSW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02S-xgvPgs

Oh... his mother was a Lt. Col. in the USAF.

He plays classical piano!

Sounds to me like he's a Spurs player!
    Last edited by ceperez; 02-11-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37 points against GSW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Richardson scores 15pts with a couple big 3s, everyone here will be like "Derrick Who".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the thing with Richardson is he can get hot from 3. So there's games where he goes off for 20+ and get you some wins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37 points against GSW

That was against the defending Champs with KD in the lineup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the thing with Richardson is he can get hot from 3. So there's games where he goes off for 20+ and get you some wins
    So, maybe you don’t play him so much, then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was against the defending Champs with KD in the lineup
    omg hes a beast

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is more talented than White. He just didn't build his game up in as good a system as the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's more of a natural scorer than White. If you give him the same amount of shots (White averaged 4 more shots than Richardson and scored 4 more points per game) Richardson will average the same exact numbers as White, just less assists. Like I said it's not much of a drop off and him being a better shooter might actually be a better fit. That's if he gets the starting gig. I totally hope Pop doesn't start him, we're trying to lose games

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's more of a natural scorer than White. If you give him the same amount of shots (White averaged 4 more shots than Richardson and scored 4 more points per game) Richardson will average the same exact numbers as White, just less assists. Like I said it's not much of a drop off and him being a better shooter might actually be a better fit. That's if he gets the starting gig. I totally hope Pop doesn't start him, we're trying to lose games
    I don't think the Spurs will be trying to lose games. With a very young core, you need to build a culture of winning and that does not start by deliberately losing games.

My hunch is that Richardson replaces White in the starting lineup. A 40% at 3 this year, he'll a bigger threat than White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What loses is the passing and that normally takes time with this team. Pop is making them share the ball more than any team, albeit without a real go-to scorer. That’s Zollin’s observation, “everyone touching the ball.” White initiates that, and creating a passing game, but sometimes too much to a fault, or “deferring” as Lonnie is often guilty of. It’s the balance of when to take over. Anyways, getting sidetracked. It’s mid-season and with new players, it will be more of an up and down game, pickup game is probably what we’ll see a lot of. Just play hard defense and ready to shoot when open.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What loses is the passing and that normally takes time with this team. Pop is making them share the ball more than any team, albeit without a real go-to scorer. That’s Zollin’s observation, “everyone touching the ball.” White initiates that, and creating a passing game, but sometimes too much to a fault, or “deferring” as Lonnie is often guilty of. It’s the balance of when to take over. Anyways, getting sidetracked. It’s mid-season and with new players, it will be more of an up and down game, pickup game is probably what we’ll see a lot of. Just play hard defense and ready to shoot when open.
    To be fair, the Spurs don't have dominant go-to players that can create for themselves. They have no option but to pass the ball!

Not a single player in the entire Spurs roster demands a double team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacrilege

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, the Spurs don't have dominant go-to players that can create for themselves. They have no option but to pass the ball!

Not a single player in the entire Spurs roster demands a double team.
    Yes as I said, no go-to player in this team hence they need to create open shots through passing game

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #7, the player to be named later in a trade number…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Derrick is the better distributor, Josh is the better shooter. With Spurs wanting on improving the 3, giving Whites/Lonnie’s shots to Vassell/Richardson/Langford is a +++. We are a better offensive team.

Also removing White finally defined who gets the ball handling. Murray and Tre is much better, and occasionally Primo to help. I like White, but it’s addition by subtraction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White simply wasn't enough of a scorer and natural shooter to fill the 2 slot. At times he would pass on a wide open 3. Remember that was a major criticism of his game when he came into the league, and he never really overcame that hesitation. The 2 guy has to want to take every open shot; it's the instinct of a natural born shooter. Forbes has it. McDermott has it. But we haven't had a starting 2 with that instinct and skill for a long time.

God willing, Primo is the guy who will fill that role. Apparently the FO thought enough of him to take him at the first opportunity in the draft. But Richardson may bloom again here and become a starter like he was in Miami. God knows there is plenty of opportunity here as very few positions (excepting Poertl and Murray) are locked in for the long haul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t look now but I think J-Rich could be staying. This guy has a lot of dog in him. He’s new in the team, yet you can see already his veteran presence yet his only 28, very vocal. Already he was hanging out with the guys in Austin. What to do with him? Start him ala Danny Green? Keep him as a spark coming from the bench? He’s a good problem.
    Last edited by John B; 03-12-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t look now but I think J-Rich could be staying. This guy has a lot of dog in him. He’s new in the team, yet you can see already his veteran presence yet his only 28, very vocal. Already he was hanging out with the guys in Austin. What to do with him? Start him ala Danny Green? Keep him as a spark coming from the bench? He could be inconsistent, but can Pop unleash from him? He’s a good problem.
    He's another in the line of guys that could stay or go this offseason...he's got one of the largest contracts of the group that could be moved so it'll just depend on what's out there and what other teams are valuing this summer... in the wing category I think Josh, KJ, Langford, Doug, and Vassell are all candidates to be packaged...(not that we'd move them all just some combination of that group).... of the bigs I could see one of them being moved as well... we'll have alot of options if there's something we like out there including moving up a couple spots in the draft...

Thread Information