Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Earvin's efforts to impress the women in his life fall flat" Word for word HBO description.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve enjoyed it so far. Casting is pretty great. Seems the show is just as much about buss as it is about Tragic tbh. Interested to see where they take it
    Yes Buss is not as douchy as the 2nd ep goes on.

Are we to believe the visit by Red A to the restaraunt and then Forum gym with Buss ever really took place? If they did meet was the conversation portrayed 100% Faker fantacy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes Buss is not as douchy as the 2nd ep goes on.

Are we to believe the visit by Red A to the restaraunt and then Forum gym with Buss ever really took place? If they did meet was the conversation portrayed 100% Faker fantacy?
    I could see something similar of happened. I’m sure they dramatized it up a bit, but Celtics thought of Lakers as little brother.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Never knew Jerry West wanted Moncrief over Magic. Think they probably would have won a couple of les, especially with that Worthy pick in 1983, but no way Moncrief was taking them to five once Abdul-Jabbar started getting old.
    That can't be real.

Jerry will probably sue for defamation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can't be real.

Moncrief was really good plus who could forsee the level of ref ass kissing Magic would recieve.
    Some NBA Dina soars were stuck in the thinking that Magic was too tall to play PG.

BTW the show displays West as pretty psycho. Bitter, angry, alcoholic.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can't be real.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...-magic-johnson

The one thing Johnson didn’t know at the time (and wouldn’t know until more than two decades later) was that, in Cooke’s mind, he was merely another good college player in an ocean of good college players. Why, immediately after the draft, Cooke told those within his small circle of confidants that the team could have gone with Sidney Moncrief, the high-scoring guard from the University of Arkansas. That was the advice presented to him by Jerry West, the outgoing coach, who wasn’t fully convinced a 6-foot-9 point guard would function in the fast-paced NBA. Of all the ex-basketball players working for the Lakers, West was the one Cooke trusted most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ic telling Buss he was going back to college then Buss leaving him in the hallway where he fawned over pictures of Laker HOFs.
    Next he goes down to the gym floor with a ball and fantasizes about scoring the game winner.

Total ABC/ESPN/Disney Lakers fabrication or is that how it came down?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earvin Sr's 87th birthday celebration.
    "Over 70 grandkids, great grands, and great great grands came out to celebrate with him."

Somehow i can't picture this grandkid at Earv's celebration including a fish fry and BBQ but who knows?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CaXx4PsPMX4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...-magic-johnson

The one thing Johnson didn’t know at the time (and wouldn’t know until more than two decades later) was that, in Cooke’s mind, he was merely another good college player in an ocean of good college players. Why, immediately after the draft, Cooke told those within his small circle of confidants that the team could have gone with Sidney Moncrief, the high-scoring guard from the University of Arkansas. That was the advice presented to him by Jerry West, the outgoing coach, who wasn’t fully convinced a 6-foot-9 point guard would function in the fast-paced NBA. Of all the ex-basketball players working for the Lakers, West was the one Cooke trusted most.
    Wait, I thought West was the perfect GM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ic telling Buss he was going back to college then Buss leaving him in the hallway where he fawned over pictures of Laker HOFs.
    Next he goes down to the gym floor with a ball and fantasizes about scoring the game winner.

Pretty sure that’s how it really went down

Because it’s Magic!

/s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's made up. Magic was only threatening to go back to Michigan State if the Bulls won the coin flip to draft first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's made up. Magic was only threatening to go back to Michigan State if the Bulls won the coin flip to draft first.
    But we were told they didn't want the easy way back in the good ol' days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But we were told they didn't want the easy way back in the good ol' days
    Wonder if he would have gone through with that threat. Probably not, probably just wanted to set the stage to negotiate a huge contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if he would have gone through with that threat. Probably not, probably just wanted to set the stage to negotiate a huge contract.
    Magic is like that, unselfish on the court yes but everything had to be about himself

Got his coach fired, backstabbed Isiah, got any he wanted, bailed out on the Lakers FO without notice, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Viti, trainer of the Lakers, said this show really ed up the portrayal of West. That he wasn't the angry guy raising with everyone, more like the quiet internally tortured type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how Moncrief would have fared if he played for the lakers. He certainly wouldn’t be as good as magic but he’d likely be much more of a household name like James worthy or Walt Frazier. Likely to make the top 50 team just being associated with the lakers.

Magic with the Chicago would likely have a career similar to George gervin or something like that. All time great but never won anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see something similar of happened. I’m sure they dramatized it up a bit, but Celtics thought of Lakers as little brother.
    So perhaps Red really did show up, Red thinking he might fleece a few players from the Lakers in exchange for talking Buss out of the fantasy.
    To Buss' credit he made the Lakers Entertainment les happen.
    I just find the vitriolic exchange between the two to be way over the top. Like Red putting his cigar out on the Forum gym floor. Didn't happen imo. However i do remember Red after the Celtics '84 Championship scoffing about the "dynasty" of the Lakers. So while exaggerated, perhaps what came down (vs the manner it came down) was true.

As far as Buss trying to offer pussy in exchange for a better deal from Red that is 100.
    Related i have ZERO doubt that is how Memphis got ed into giving MVPau for Kwame. Pussy and gambling debts all set as a lure by Buss. Standard operating procedure by Buss. Buss was a sneaky phuck for sure. Used to be in San Diego a lot and ran his lips when coke and boozed up which was perpetual.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Moncrief was really good plus who could forsee the level of ref ass kissing Magic would recieve.
    Some NBA Dina soars were stuck in the thinking that Magic was too tall to play PG.

BTW the show displays West as pretty psycho. Bitter, angry, alcoholic.
    Stern, in '84 that's who. He judged that Magic would transform the game and made the decision to side him, break the strangle hold that the Celtics held and enjoyed. He placed Strom strategically in '85 with orders to make it happen. Strom obeyed and disqualified McHale in Massachusetts. That's all she wrote. From then on we had a share of the en lement that only the Celtics had possessed to that point.

Then of course years later Cuban shows up and tumult ensues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Viti, trainer of the Lakers, said this show really ed up the portrayal of West. That he wasn't the angry guy raising with everyone, more like the quiet internally tortured type.
    Seems very over the top attempt to denigrate West.
    Guy busts thru his window, tells him the place smells like he hasn't showered in weeks and smells like old laundry.

Did West do or give a perceived slight to the Buss'? Like leaving for the Golden gots and then Clippers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems very over the top attempt to denigrate West.
    Guy busts thru his window, tells him the place smells like he hasn't showered in weeks and smells like old laundry.

Did West do or give a perceived slight to the Buss'? Like leaving for the Golden gots and then Clippers?
    West's beef was with Phil Jackson, over whether to bring back Glen Rice, don't think he and Buss were on bad terms when he left. Haven't read the book it's based on but expect this is probably just juicing up the story to make it look better on TV. West being a psycho constantly destroying his Finals MVP trophy and cussing everyone out makes better TV than sad Jerry stewing at his desk when Buss wanted Magic over Moncrief + Haywood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Earvin's efforts to impress the women in his life fall flat" Word for word HBO description.

Ep 2 making his mom look like a real .

Is that part of the reason Magic is pretty screwed up with women and his son wants to be his daughter? Ya ya half a billionaire screwed up.

West portrayal: What the ?
    No magic in his johnson

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Beating the 4th wall to death in this is just lazy production. Hitting circa high points, then immediately preening for response is also lazy production...yes, I saw it, yes, I heard it. Yes, I got it! Which one is coming next? I can see the others getting involved in this, but Reilly? Shame-on-him.

I gave it 15 minutes as a favor. That's more than enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West's beef was with Phil Jackson, over whether to bring back Glen Rice, don't think he and Buss were on bad terms when he left. Haven't read the book it's based on but expect this is probably just juicing up the story to make it look better on TV. West being a psycho constantly destroying his Finals MVP trophy and cussing everyone out makes better TV than sad Jerry stewing at his desk when Buss wanted Magic over Moncrief + Haywood.
    Agree 100 the show follows 100% Hollywood MO thus was juiced up with soap opera bull for attempted ratings.
    But the producers had a million different ways to do that.

I still say something went way South between Buss' / Laker Basketball & Fantasy Productions Inc and West.

Assuming the show ends with the Showtime 80s or will it continue on to the Kobme years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, in the opening episode it also ignores the 1971-72 Lakers winning a le and makes it seem like West never won at all. I guess to increase his supposed bitterness.

Loved Hearn telling Riley he sounded effeminate in episode 3 lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beating the 4th wall to death in this is just lazy production. Hitting circa high points, then immediately preening for response is also lazy production...yes, I saw it, yes, I heard it. Yes, I got it! Which one is coming next? I can see the others getting involved in this, but Reilly? Shame-on-him.

I gave it 15 minutes as a favor. That's more than enough.
    Supposedly Michael Shannon was going to play Buss but left production as all the fourth wall annoyed him. I agree fourth wall stuff in very small doses (like Eddie Murphy looking into the camera when the dukes explain that bacon is used in BLT sandwiches) but annoying when overused (The Office sitcom for instance). Here I just look past it mostly but it is weird

Thread Information