Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    March...wasn't that just after White showed up?
    So you're giving Tatum's credit to White?

The same white who the Spurs magically played better after he was traded?

Y'all are like Trumpers ignoring reality when it comes to White.

Congrats on reaching ducks level of bull .

I give up with y'all, carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPM and on/offs have basically nothing to do with each other. There's no mystery as to why a player would be positive in one and negative in other. BPM isn't even net-rating, which is at least a stat that is often confused with on-offs.

That's not me weighing in on the argument in general, but it's just weird to be wondering about this. May as well wonder how a player can have a good on-off but made PER.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insofar as I'm tossing my hat into this other argument, White's not in those lineups because he's a bench player who doesn't play with any consistent lineup very often. You don't have to try to figure out this stuff from BBRef or ESPN. NBA.com has robust stats that will let you sort by the past X number of games or even just the All-Star Break. Why not look at the complete data before deciding if Derrick deserves credit for the Celtics performance or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"On Feb. 10, Boston ranked 21st in assist-to-turnover ratio and 19th in assist rate. Since, they’re fourth and seventh in those two categories, respectively. The percentage of their two-point field goals that are assisted with White on the floor is 13% higher than when he sits—best on the team among all players who’ve logged over 300 minutes."

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/03/16/de...-missing-piece

You think it's complete coincidence that Tatum took off at the same time that White showed up?
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 03-30-2022 at 07:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "On Feb. 10, Boston ranked 21st in assist-to-turnover ratio and 19th in assist rate. Since, they’re fourth and seventh in those two categories, respectively. The percentage of their two-point field goals that are assisted with White on the floor is 13% higher than when he sits—best on the team among all players who’ve logged over 300 minutes."

Explain that... You think it's complete coincidence that Tatum took off at the same time that White showed up?
    I agree. The absolute final statistic to all this is wins an losses. The Celtics have a higher winning percentage since White joined the team and the Spurs have a higher winning percentage since Richardson joined the team. Whatever metric you choose to use, both teams were improved by exchanging players. Isn't that typically why teams make a trade in the first place..to improve the team ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The same white who the Spurs magically played better after he was traded?

Y'all are like Trumpers ignoring reality when it comes to White.

Congrats on reaching ducks level of bull .

I give up with y'all, carry on.
    Why can’t it be White? Why can’t Boston be playing better because of him AND SA be playing better with JRich?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why can’t it be White? Why can’t Boston be playing better because of him AND SA be playing better with JRich?

thats fine. But sa isn't playing better because of jrich

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D. White is having a +18 in 3Q today with the next highest being +6 and the rest near neutral. So it definitely shows he has very positive impact for the team. Again over a period of games with significant non-garbage play time shows the most accurate of a player's impact on the team. The player can provide help defence to prevent an opponent from penetrating set an off ball screen to get your primary scorer free or unsettle a set defence forcing them to scramble and rotate resulting another player to be free. All these are not capture in any stats. If a player is constantly having a positive +/- it shows the team is winning when he is on court. There is no dispute to this no matter what other stats says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D. White is having a +18 in 3Q today with the next highest being +6 and the rest near neutral. So it definitely shows he has very positive impact for the team. Again over a period of games with significant non-garbage play time shows the most accurate of a player's impact on the team. The player can provide help defence to prevent an opponent from penetrating set an off ball screen to get your primary scorer free or unsettle a set defence forcing them to scramble and rotate resulting another player to be free. All these are not capture in any stats. If a player is constantly having a positive +/- it shows the team is winning when he is on court. There is no dispute to this no matter what other stats says.
    leading them to victory tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

those 3 assists though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those 3 assists though
    probably drew a charge in the 2nd quarter too

swung the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably drew a charge in the 2nd quarter too

swung the game

because who cares if he can shoot. Hes there to facilitate

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They got an expiring contract and a first round pick for a guy who can’t shoot and plays less than 30 minutes a game. The front office has done many things worth criticizing over the past several years. This trade is not one of them.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sad thing is this is the stat line he wants for himself. Would it be wrong to call Derrick not just timid but also lazy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics fans are already turning on him because of how ty his offense is .

Love Derrick but literally can’t shoot. And he’s a SG lol. Trading him was 100% the right move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he ever develops a consistent 3 pt shot, he will become an elite role player. He still is a great one, he impacts the game on so many ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a good role player and playing as a backup combo guard like he is with Boston is probably his ideal role. But if his shot is broken, yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats fine. But sa isn't playing better because of jrich
    They’re 11-10 since they got hom. That’s an improvement over the sub .400 team they were before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re 11-10 since they got hom. That’s an improvement over the sub .400 team they were before.
    nice role player nothing more. Saying j-rich is the reason sa is winning is as asinine as saying white is the reason bos is winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say, I considered Richardson a throw-in. I was completely wrong. I may have to curb my enthusiasm at some point, but the team is much more balanced. His fit on offense is really impressive. Not a worldbeater, of course, but he doesn't have to be. He's a pro who knows the sets pretty well already. Mostly, he's able to push his attempts within the structure, and not just threes, but with cuts and short corners, hitting the baseline. He recognizes what the defense is giving up. Most importantly, he is not shy. At all. Alongside Lonnie, still suffering confidence issues, and Vassell, still learning what he's supposed to do, this is massive. Big not only in-game, but as a model to their development.

Really impressed with the pick-up, to be honest. I do think it's had significance for how they're playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say, I considered Richardson a throw-in. I was completely wrong. I may have to curb my enthusiasm at some point, but the team is much more balanced. His fit on offense is really impressive. Not a worldbeater, of course, but he doesn't have to be. He's a pro who knows the sets pretty well already. Mostly, he's able to push his attempts within the structure, and not just threes, but with cuts and short corners, hitting the baseline. He recognizes what the defense is giving up. Most importantly, he is not shy. At all. Alongside Lonnie, still suffering confidence issues, and Vassell, still learning what he's supposed to do, this is massive. Big not only in-game, but as a model to their development.

Really impressed with the pick-up, to be honest. I do think it's had significance for how they're playing.
    This is exactly the reason I want the Spurs to retain him next season. I don't care wether the plan is to tank out the season or gun for the play-in, but we need these kind of vet presences, not only in the lockerroom but also in practices. Devin and Lonnie could both use the help in the areas Rich is already great at, and he seems to have nice chemistry with the team and been integrated well. He could really help the youngings' development through the off-season and next season too.

Solidly on "keep him at any cost" camp, tbh, which I also wasn't expecting to be when the trade was announced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice role player nothing more. .

Role players are important. I don't think anyone here is arguing that White is a #1 go to option who will lead a championship team in scoring. He's a great glue guy, and most great teams have a glue guy who makes his stars better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Role players are important. I don't think anyone here is arguing that White is a #1 go to option who will lead a championship team in scoring. He's a great glue guy, and most great teams have a glue guy who makes his stars better.
    The trade might have been equitable Richardson-White straight up. Richardson duplicates what Boston already has. They needed someone who can circulate the ball and be a facilitator, which White does really well. Spurs didn't need a facilitator because their offense isn't predicated on standing around waiting for Tatum or Brown to do something. Spurs needed a shooter/scorer who isn't quaking in his boots.

Then you add Langford, although I think he's gone, and then the pick, which can be bundled with Toronto's or traded to a team that falls in love with a player. Not to mention that swap down the line.

Definitely have changed my mind about this trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trade might have been equitable Richardson-White straight up. Richardson duplicates what Boston already has. They needed someone who can circulate the ball and be a facilitator, which White does really well. Spurs didn't need a facilitator because their offense isn't predicated on standing around waiting for Tatum or Brown to do something. Spurs needed a shooter/scorer who isn't quaking in his boots.

Then you add Langford, although I think he's gone, and then the pick, which can be bundled with Toronto's or traded to a team that falls in love with a player. Not to mention that swap down the line.

Definitely have changed my mind about this trade.

For me, the swap pick is the big thing. That's a swing-for-the-fences kind of bet that could pay huge dividends. 2028 is an eternity away in terms of basketball years. Six years ago, the Spurs were trying to mesh Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge, while Boston's leading scorers were Isaiah Thomas and Avery Bradley. Their leading rebounder was Jared Sullinger. It's like another world in terms of rosters for both teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said there is no dropoff if you replace White with J-Rich. It's just that Pop doesn't play him to get the young guys some playing time, but the Spurs are not worse one bit and have an extra pick and a swap. The trade was great.

Thread Information