Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to see The Spurs show any interest in John Collins. They could have pursued him twice in the last year or so and didn’t. I think this love affair with him is all Spurstalk fan fiction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to see The Spurs show any interest in John Collins. They could have pursued him twice in the last year or so and didn’t. I think this love affair with him is all Spurstalk fan fiction
    I like John Colins a lot less as a trade target than as a free agent, but I still think he checks a lot of boxes. He's a good player signed to a fair contract at a position of need. It's not hard to understand why he'd be coveted. But he's always been one of a few options on some of the many paths the Spurs can go down for me. I don't like that they signed McD and Zach over making an offer to John. I think they might've been a legit playoff team rather than a play-in team with him, and it would have made getting three impact players by the end of the 2022 off-season much more likely. But if they sign a guy like Lavine or Sexton and then trade for or draft their new starting PF, that can also work. There are a number of PFs I like in the draft, including a guy like Baldwin who might end up being a steal in the teens. For the right deal, I'd still want the Spurs to go for John, but I'm also okay with how it's shaken out so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You always pay for it somehow and those non tax states have enormous property taxes and fees elsewhere.
    I think I just hate California in general perhaps.

The bureaucracy of their state government is awful. LA in particular is dirty, crowded and expensive. Plus it's the home to the fvcking Lakers. So I'm just bitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't directed at Mr. Body, but I wonder how much players think about state income tax. I mean, most players make horrible decisions with the money they already have.
    According to the folks in here, they don't.

My guess would be there are a few "practical" ones out there who are at least aware of state impacts. If I was an agent for any of these guys I'd at least give them the low-down on what their net checks will be depending on where they live.

But this may be a case where the SpursTalkers are correct. Maybe it's not a big deal if you're a 25 year old making millions. You're immortal at that point in your life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you can carve out a pretty nice life being a resident of a non-tax state, too. Take the $12.3MM in taxes you'd pay on $100 million in income in California, play for the Heat, live in Miami and buy a little $12MM Florida coastal mansion with that tax savings.

I get it though. When you're young, especially, the LA lifestyle has a great appeal. It's probably worth paying triple for your home, and netting less than half your paycheck due to taxes.
    living in Texas or Florida. I'll gladly pay more not to live in those places. And like others said, the property tax different easily makes up for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just seems like the best attainable fit without moving a core piece, but he's clearly not the type of four they'd (or most teams) would prefer. They want the big wing type skillset, but good luck finding it.

Trading up to 5 for Murray is the lone possibility I see, but to have a chance, that probably requires something like re-visiting the Hornets offer of Washington and Jones for Poeltl, getting them to swap their 1st for either the Raptors or Celtics 1st, then taking whichever of those is left over and adding it Washington and the Spurs 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    living in Texas or Florida. I'll gladly pay more not to live in those places. And like others said, the property tax different easily makes up for it.
    Most of California is a sh!thole as well. The property tax benefit in CA doesn't bridge the gap for the wealthy. But, in general, yes, point made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JRich’s swag is a fresh breath of air after going through seasons of nonchalantness from White. It elevates the team’s compe iveness
    He gives me Stephen Jackson vibes minus the toxic at ude that follows Jack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gives me Stephen Jackson vibes minus the toxic at ude that follows Jack.
    He is not Stack5. Stephen Jackson when fully engaged was a killer. JRich is solid but he is not built like that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean what do you expect them to do, get on TV and flick the bean for John Collins?

We don't know that they didn't try to pursue him. Just like we never heard one peep about Derrick White, our second best player, being available for trade. But now not only do we know that he was available, we also know that there had to be a lot of teams interested, since it cost the celtics a young player, a rotational player, and 2 first round picks. You not giving all that up for one player unless you have to, unless you got lots of people competing for him. If we were to get our hands on Bryan Wrights office phone records I would be SHOCKED if we don't have multiple calls back and forth with the Atlanta Hawks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like John Colins a lot less as a trade target than as a free agent, but I still think he checks a lot of boxes. He's a good player signed to a fair contract at a position of need. It's not hard to understand why he'd be coveted. But he's always been one of a few options on some of the many paths the Spurs can go down for me. I don't like that they signed McD and Zach over making an offer to John. I think they might've been a legit playoff team rather than a play-in team with him, and it would have made getting three impact players by the end of the 2022 off-season much more likely. But if they sign a guy like Lavine or Sexton and then trade for or draft their new starting PF, that can also work. There are a number of PFs I like in the draft, including a guy like Baldwin who might end up being a steal in the teens. For the right deal, I'd still want the Spurs to go for John, but I'm also okay with how it's shaken out so far.

I'm not on bored with a Lavine or Sexton cause I think Devin has a jump or two to take. Just no to Sexton in general cause I don't really understand what function he serves on this team and no to Lavine cause I don't think we need an all offense no defense guard who is going to do what exactly, take us from the 8th best offense to the 5th?

And as much as I love John Collins in a trade I am still only really open to giving up things that won't effect us going forward. It's clear we need to move Doug as we absolutely played our best ball without him and he creates more basketball problems, defense, than basketball answers, spacing. I am just out on Lonnie he is to inconsistent. That is what Richardson really opened my eyes to when he got here, where now we watching an actual nba veteran guard make the right play 90% of the time he is on the court vs watching a guy with all the talent in the world might not even make a single play that matters in 15 minutes. I will happily take J Rich correctly shooting, driving, and passing, 8.5 out of 10 times than that one Lonnie highlight dunk or layup or game cause it's going to be a lot of inconsistency between those two. We got 3 1st round picks in this year's draft and I would be happen to move one of the two if not both of the ones that aren't hours, since we will have won coming from the bulls and celtics in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't directed at Mr. Body, but I wonder how much players think about state income tax. I mean, most players make horrible decisions with the money they already have.
    It's also more complicated than this. Players have to do taxes according to where their games are held. So they have 41 games that are potentially not in their home states, so have 41 tax codes to adjust for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not on bored with a Lavine or Sexton cause I think Devin has a jump or two to take. Just no to Sexton in general cause I don't really understand what function he serves on this team and no to Lavine cause I don't think we need an all offense no defense guard who is going to do what exactly, take us from the 8th best offense to the 5th?

And as much as I love John Collins in a trade I am still only really open to giving up things that won't effect us going forward. It's clear we need to move Doug as we absolutely played our best ball without him and he creates more basketball problems, defense, than basketball answers, spacing. I am just out on Lonnie he is to inconsistent. That is what Richardson really opened my eyes to when he got here, where now we watching an actual nba veteran guard make the right play 90% of the time he is on the court vs watching a guy with all the talent in the world might not even make a single play that matters in 15 minutes. I will happily take J Rich correctly shooting, driving, and passing, 8.5 out of 10 times than that one Lonnie highlight dunk or layup or game cause it's going to be a lot of inconsistency between those two. We got 3 1st round picks in this year's draft and I would be happen to move one of the two if not both of the ones that aren't hours, since we will have won coming from the bulls and celtics in the future.
    We have 0 chance at Lavine but be has been decent on D this year. He is also arguably a top 20 player and exactly what we need and would push us to a potential top 4 seed considering out other assets this offseason so I can’t agree with this take.
    Last edited by KingKev; 04-06-2022 at 07:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have 0 chance at Lavine but be has been decent on D this year. He is also arguably a top 20 player and exactly what we need and would push us to a potential top 4 seed considering our other assets this offseason so I can’t agree with this take.
    Signing Lavine to a max or near max contract with his injury history is playing Russian roulette. Gambling your future into one such player can derail your franchise (see Grant Hill @ Orlando)
    https://www.nba.com/stats/player/203897

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing Lavine to a max or near max contract with his injury history is playing Russian roulette. Gambling your future into one such player can derail your franchise (see Grant Hill @ Orlando)
    https://www.nba.com/stats/player/203897
    What am I missing here? He tore is ACL like two years before Dejounte Murray did. He is getting the max regardless and maybe the super max if he makes an all-nba team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What am I missing here? He tore is ACL like two years before Dejounte Murray did. He is getting the max regardless and maybe the super max if he makes an all-nba team.
    He's a guy who has routinely missed a bunch of games every season who's already had ACL surgery... granted he's young, but it's a risky move and not likely to age well IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m blown away ppl wouldn’t consider Lavine. He isn’t even a small chance but he is the best UFA in this class depending on what Kyrie/Harden/Beal choose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a guy who has routinely missed a bunch of games every season who's already had ACL surgery... granted he's young, but it's a risky move and not likely to age well IMO.
    There is no risk with Lavine, if there is and you have a chance you live with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is anyone really surprised White is making a great impact on the Celtics? He's helped them continue their run and the just doesn't contribute to losing. Perfect role player on a pretty good team or better. Unfortunately the move had to be made and I'm glad for DW. Hope he rings some day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of California is a sh!thole as well. The property tax benefit in CA doesn't bridge the gap for the wealthy. But, in general, yes, point made.
    He is not Stack5. Stephen Jackson when fully engaged was a killer. JRich is solid but he is not built like that.
    Sjax was a mediocre 3-point shooter, JRich is shooting over 40%

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also more complicated than this. Players have to do taxes according to where their games are held. So they have 41 games that are potentially not in their home states, so have 41 tax codes to adjust for.
    That’s not what I mean. I assume they aren’t doing Turbo Tax themselves. I meant, I don’t think players pick a team based on taxes because SA would have had way more free agents by now if avoiding state income tax was a priority.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White shooting 25% from 3 in the playoffs.

Is Keldon the next White? Looks promising on a very bad team, becomes a marginalized role player on a good team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now if only we could convince all Californian's to think like this guy we wouldn't have them flooding into our state. Touting a budget surplus while they have a second straight year of population decline

They've created a sinking ship and now their trying to do the same in other places. No thanks. They can sit in the mess they've made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White has been great in the playoffs so far.
    His defense has been as good as ever. According to RAPTOR he is the 2nd highest rated guard on defense in the playoffs so far.
    Despite his shooting he has been a plus on offense as well. If you watch Celtics games he does a great job of moving the ball and driving and kicking to open people and generally making the right plays.

I think both teams ended up doing well in the trade.
    White is an elite role player for a team w championship aspirations but not a good fit for the Spurs roster that lacks enough star power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now if only we could convince all Californian's to think like this guy we wouldn't have them flooding into our state. Touting a budget surplus while they have a second straight year of population decline

They've created a sinking ship and now their trying to do the same in other places. No thanks. They can sit in the mess they've made.
    Dude. You're off by so much as to not even be talking sensically. CA just had ~100B budget surplus while taking care of 40 million+ people far better than Texas ever dreamed of doing, we're it so inclined to actually dream of caring about people. Exodus? They lost 350,000 people. Why? Because it's crazy expensive because of that simple economic principle of supply and demand. People want to.live there desperately but it's too expensive. Meanwhile Texas is amongst the worst states in healthcare, poverty, etc, and is THE WORST in the country on maternal mortality. Having a baby here is almost as likely to kill you as having one in Pakistan, lol. But go ahead with your ignorant bravado and when we add 11 million more people, we'll have the same problems as CA still without even trying to give a about the poor, homeless, POC, women, LGBTQ folks, etc. Spare me your ignorant BS. If you had any ing clue, you'd also want to live in CA because it's simply a better state, almost across the board as Texas.

And before you start spouting off about what you think.must be CA's ridiculous tax rates leading to their budget surpluses, know that 3 former CA residents (allcrazy conservative) told me the taxes are about the same, maybe higher here with the property taxes more than making up for their state income taxes.

I'm simply fed up with ignorance and the regurgitation of said ignorance simply because Fox News told you so. Wake the up.

Thread Information