Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sort of.
    Also a burn to have an 82 game schedule reduced to one game when the higher team may really be much better in a series, but not for that one game.
    Like to see a 2 of 3. However, the one game and out is much more exciting and part of what drives the NFL and NCAA tourneys being more watchable. No blah throw away games.

Can the NBA find a middle ground? Stern Jr. talking about a mid season tourney.
    Yeah, but it's rigged so that only one of 9/10 can play in. 7/8 only has to win one game, and can lose one and stay alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but it's rigged so that only one of 9/10 can play in. 7/8 only has to win one game, and can lose one and stay alive.
    To put it another way, the 7 or 8 seed has to go 0-2 (at least one of which is at home and, in all cases, the last of which is at home).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Adam Silver... The play-in is interesting in that most posts I see from fans seem to be very anti-, at least until their favorite team is helped by it. Without the play-in, the Spurs finish 8 games outside of playoff contention in the West, with fewer wins than the 12th seed in the East. With the play-in, fans are still engaged and excited, and fewer teams are blatantly tanking... But it seems extremely rare for the commissioner to get any credit or praise for making it happen.
    Play-in is very unfair though. I can't get behind the idea of a 50 wins team having to play its playoffs spot in a single elimination game vs a 34 wins team. One bad night destroys a great season of basketball and sets up a horrible playoffs series between a #2 seed and a lottery team.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Bill Simmons came up with idea initially and called it something like "The Fun As Mini-Tournament"? I don't hate it. It's supposed to stave off tanking. I'm not paying enough attention to see if it's actually helping in that regard. If anything, it could make teams tank worse to ensure they don't make the play in. Future changes are still needed imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Bill Simmons came up with idea initially and called it something like "The Fun As Mini-Tournament"? I don't hate it. It's supposed to stave off tanking. I'm not paying enough attention to see if it's actually helping in that regard. If anything, it could make teams tank worse to ensure they don't make the play in. Future changes are still needed imo.
    I will agree that it makes the last two weeks of the season a bit more entertaining, BUT....

If I was the 7 or 8 seed and had a 5-10 game lead on the playoffs...then managed to get booted out because I played a couple bad games, that would rub me the wrong way. ESPECIALLY if there was an injury or ref interference or something...you can weather that over a seven-game series, but one-and-done seems kinda ty for someone who spent 82 games trying to make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else feel like Spurs are gonna win this one tbh. Cause I do.
    i do top, but now that you‘re saying it I might have to overthink that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will agree that it makes the last two weeks of the season a bit more entertaining, BUT....

If I was the 7 or 8 seed and had a 5-10 game lead on the playoffs...then managed to get booted out because I played a couple bad games, that would rub me the wrong way. ESPECIALLY if there was an injury or ref interference or something...you can weather that over a seven-game series, but one-and-done seems kinda ty for someone who spent 82 games trying to make the playoffs.
    A couple of bad games will cost you a playoff series, too. If you can't win one game with up to two chances, you aren't very good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Walker is playing they better run with DJ/Vassell/JRich/Keldon/Jak as the starters and Walker/Tre/Zollins off the bench. Limited minutes for Primo/Landale and KBD only if needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if you couldn't make the playoffs after 82 games, then you don't deserve to be in it. pretty simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Walker is playing they better run with DJ/Vassell/JRich/Keldon/Jak as the starters and Walker/Tre/Zollins off the bench. Limited minutes for Primo/Landale and KBD only if needed.
    F Walker. He ain't nothin but scared and hesitant. At least Primo will shoot the ball, and he might get hot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're clearly going to prioritize seeing how Primo fares in a playoff like environment over giving themselves the best possible chance to win.

Winning does nothing for a team in their situation except get them one step closer to further destroying their lottery odds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F Walker. He ain't nothin but scared and hesitant. At least Primo will shoot the ball, and he might get hot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    Primo will have his shot in due time but I feel this is make or break for Walker. I fully expect Walker, Primo and Vassell to all play scared and passive for the record….

The biggest take away from this game is who comes ready. 1-12 who wants to win versus talk like so many of the garbage soundbites we have heard from guys like Walker the last few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo won't play. I wonder if landall will, considering pop went with double big last Pelicans game.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A month ago Spurstalkers were a collective cliff-jump away from the end, today the consensus take is we are better than our record and one player away from contention. Great job by Adam Silver.
    This team was always better than their record, they are a young team that lost a lot of close games early season, a decent number of those with a big free throw disparity. Part of that was an inability to close games, part of that was a lack of officiating respect (which is a thing), and part of that was an experience and not being able to handle the moment with especially without a go-to person or two. Point disparity for the season looks far closer to that of a roughly 500 for the season record and a 7/8 seed then that of a 10 seed multiple games out of the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During a game, on the bench..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I’m old and lame, what is that exactly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edibles?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NO play-in game will be a nice experience for the young guys. Win or lose the only take away will be who comes to play. I’d expect Keldon, Jak and especially Murray to bring it. I’m also expecting guys like Vassell, Walker and Primo to turtle, if they compete that’s a win in itself.

Remember that this is still a 14 games under 500 team. There is no chance we beat the Clippers and little chance we beat Minny.
    As I posted elsewhere, they are tied for the worst record of any team to have a positive point differential in a season.

They’re not your typical 34-48 team. They’ll be underdogs in both games, and for the future I’d prefer the better pick. But they’re not in a “no chance” scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I’m old and lame, what is that exactly?
    Yup. On the bench. During a game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play-in is very unfair though. I can't get behind the idea of a 50 wins team having to play its playoffs spot in a single elimination game vs a 34 wins team. One bad night destroys a great season of basketball and sets up a horrible playoffs series between a #2 seed and a lottery team.
    Your example made me of how the Spurs won 50 games in 2010 and ended up with the 7th seed. Granted that team wasn't a le contender but I can't imagine how unfair it would have been back then had to play the young Thunder team that was the 8th seed. They probably lose that game since even back then I believe the Thunder was a bad match up for them.

Over the long run the play in will cause the disaster scenario you mentioned to play out more than once. It's really a dumb idea. A team that is 14-15 games below .500 should not be rewarded with getting into the playoffs based on 2 fluky games. It also hurts that team's development by creating an illusion that team is playoff ready when they are not.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Adam Silver... The play-in is interesting in that most posts I see from fans seem to be very anti-, at least until their favorite team is helped by it. Without the play-in, the Spurs finish 8 games outside of playoff contention in the West, with fewer wins than the 12th seed in the East. With the play-in, fans are still engaged and excited, and fewer teams are blatantly tanking... But it seems extremely rare for the commissioner to get any credit or praise for making it happen.
    Where they belong with a 34 win season

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bum wants that damn lotto pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ingram always looks stoned

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your example made me of how the Spurs won 50 games in 2010 and ended up with the 7th seed. Granted that team wasn't a le contender but I can't imagine how unfair it would have been back then had to play the young Thunder team that was the 8th seed. They probably lose that game since even back then I believe the Thunder was a bad match up for them.

Over the long run the play in will cause the disaster scenario you mentioned to play out more than once. It's really a dumb idea. A team that is 14-15 games below .500 should not be rewarded with getting into the playoffs based on 2 fluky games. It also hurts that team's development by creating an illusion that team is playoff ready when they are not.
    I like the play in concept personally. honestly 7-8 seeds are hot garbage many more times than they’re not, and most 1-8 and 2-7 match ups are boring as anyway.

Why not e up the churn at the end of the playoff seeding?

For example, the Nets situation right now is intriguing to me not just because of who their first round match up might be but also because the teams behind them could legit knock them out even before they get there.

Thread Information