Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I liked the Big XII before it began breaking up but now it's just awful. It was the right call to leave.
    Lol the horns are jumping ship after being the biggest reason it's sinking

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Aggy level cringe tbh
    Yeah that. It reeks of scorned dumped girlfriend

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Lol the horns are jumping ship after being the biggest reason it's sinking
    I wouldn't say that, ESPN didn't give them that money at gunpoint

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say that, ESPN didn't give them that money at gunpoint
    ESPN/ horns. You know what I mean

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ESPN/ horns. You know what I mean
    It will be interesting to see what happens to ESPN in the next 5-10 years. I wonder if Disney regrets that purchase.

It will be interesting to see what happens to ESPN in the next 5-10 years. I wonder if Disney regrets that purchase.
    They will stream college football games people will want to see. They will always find a way to make a buck.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    They will stream college football games people will want to see. They will always find a way to make a buck.
    True, but cable subscriber numbers are down and the price for the contracts keeps going up and up. I have ESPN+, Hulu, Disney bundle but the number of games on it is limited. I am just curious when a tipping point may come

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    As the Playoff field increases further diminishing the regular season.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The regular season was diminished for 90+% of all teams by week 3. Add more playoff teams and keeps their dreams alive.

You got it backwards

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Same thing already happened for college basketball.
    Big mistake imo.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    The regular season was diminished for 90+% of all teams by week 3. Add more playoff teams and keeps their dreams alive.

You got it backwards
    Just talking in terms of ESPN and them having telecast rights to these rather meaningless games.

But I do understand what you are arguing. Not sure it is a strong selling point to neutral fans though.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Just talking in terms of ESPN and them having telecast rights to these rather meaningless games.

But I do understand what you are arguing. Not sure it is a strong selling point to neutral fans though.
    Right now, ut v ou looks pretty meaningless.

Make the conference winner an auto playoff team and this game means a lot more than just bragging rights.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Doubt I'll even watch the game myself

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Right now, ut v ou looks pretty meaningless.

Make the conference winner an auto playoff team and this game means a lot more than just bragging rights.
    That is sort of the point. Its not meaningless from a rival point of view. Its still hate week. The game will still be sold out because rivalries go way back. Its the first time Texas is a favorite since... damn, I cant remember.... And from a recruiting point of view its still big because their are kids who are in a decision mode between ATM, Texas, and Oklahoma. Good players who want to stay close to home. From a UT perspective the Big 12 Championship is still possible.

Personally I would not want to see a 3 loss UT team in any playoff though. It would mean they are just not good enough early in the season.
    Just a bowl game against the Aggies would be fine. Or Tech again or even ARky. Thats more bragging rights for my taste.
    Last edited by pgardn; 10-06-2022 at 07:51 PM.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    That is sort of the point. Its not meaningless from a rival point of view. Its still hate week. The game will still be sold out because rivalries go way back. Its the first time Texas is a favorite since... damn, I cant remember.... And from a recruiting point of view its still big because their are kids who are in a decision mode between ATM, Texas, and Oklahoma. Good players who want to stay close to home. From a UT perspective the Big 12 Championship is still possible.

Personally I would not want to see a 3 loss UT team in any playoff though. It would mean they are just not good enough early in the season.
    Just a bowl game against the Aggies would be fine. Or Tech again or even ARky. Thats more bragging rights for my taste.
    You're really okay with a reward of playing Arky at the end of the year?

Crazy that's how college fans have been groomed to like it that way but that's where we are after 70 something years of bowl game grooming

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Crazy that's how college fans have been groomed to like it that way but that's where we are after 70 something years of bowl game grooming
    Yeah that sounds crazy, I don't know anyone who would be satisfied with that.

It would be nice if there were a way for a team to get hot and play better and better throughout the season that was off early in the season to make the playoff, but that is a pipe dream I guess.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    What do you guys surmise A & Ms preseason hype / NIL buys have gone to crap because of ____?

i never understood why A&M was ranked so high going into the season, mainly because of the uncertainty about the QB position and the amount of turnover on the offensive line. haynes king is not very good, tbh and max was meh at LSU. weigman is really the best option, but the kind of offense jimbo runs, along with his refusal to simplify it, makes it highly unlikely that a true freshman gets much playing time. you've got to have the QB situation resolved and A&M is still lost in that regard. i'm not going to lay judgement on the true freshman just yet. it'd be one thing if it was a few of them playing on a roster filled with experience but that's not the case. A&M really is playing an unprecedented number of true freshman right now (unprecedented for A&M that is) and not too many upperclassmen. i don't think jimbo knows how to handle depth charts, tbh.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

If Arky plays good enough the rest of the way to play a 3 win Texas team.
    And I have not been bowl game groomed. I just dont want an clearly inferior team in some game against a team who has won early, middle and late in the season. I want the entire season to count. Texas has lost to Tech and played alabama tough. The loss to Tech eliminates us. Thats fine.
    Imo you have to play well enough for 1 loss or undefeated or the regular season means very little. I think its the other way round. College fans are pro playoff groomed. The NBA playoffs are a joke. I really dont like the NFL either because too many teams. I dont want 3 loss Ohio State in the playoffs every year.

I see your point about people just stop watching. I bet you wont stop watching Tech just because they are out. you are a fan.
    Last edited by pgardn; 10-07-2022 at 11:29 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yeah that sounds crazy, I don't know anyone who would be satisfied with that.

It would be nice if there were a way for a team to get hot and play better and better throughout the season that was off early in the season to make the playoff, but that is a pipe dream I guess.
    I would not be satisfied with the regular season, which continually happens. Its a tough time for UT. I will make it through and if we win a National Championship again it will mean that much more. I like to beat myself with a hammer and then stop to fix the wound and realize how wonderful it feels to stop beating myself I guess.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i never understood why A&M was ranked so high going into the season, mainly because of the uncertainty about the QB position and the amount of turnover on the offensive line. haynes king is not very good, tbh and max was meh at LSU. weigman is really the best option, but the kind of offense jimbo runs, along with his refusal to simplify it, makes it highly unlikely that a true freshman gets much playing time. you've got to have the QB situation resolved and A&M is still lost in that regard. i'm not going to lay judgement on the true freshman just yet. it'd be one thing if it was a few of them playing on a roster filled with experience but that's not the case. A&M really is playing an unprecedented number of true freshman right now (unprecedented for A&M that is) and not too many upperclassmen. i don't think jimbo knows how to handle depth charts, tbh.
    what Jimbo seems to not be able to handle is the offensive system.

Its so rare to see a guy come fully open early to help out the O line and QB. Thats scheming. Herman could not get it done either. Always contested catches.
    Jimbo is a great recruiter and great with the kids it appears. Do what you do well. I think their D is awesome talent wise but Leach in his interview basically said that ATM was fairly consistent in what Leach thought they would do and because Miss ST. o line played well they had no problem moving the ball.

Alabama game should be fun just because the back and forth this summer. I will say I think the ATM players will play very hard for their coach. If they dont... thats a bad sign. I think they will. Imo they will play for Fischer under almost any cir stances. He is a leader.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If Arky plays good enough the rest of the way to play a 3 win Texas team.
    And I have not been bowl game groomed. I just dont want an clearly inferior team in some game against a team who has won early, middle and late in the season. I want the entire season to count. Texas has lost to Tech and played alabama tough. The loss to Tech eliminates us. Thats fine.
    Imo you have to play well enough for 1 loss or undefeated or the regular season means very little. I think its the other way round. College fans are pro playoff groomed. The NBA playoffs are a joke. I really dont like the NFL either because too many teams. I dont want 3 loss Ohio State in the playoffs every year.

I see your point about people just stop watching. I bet you wont stop watching Tech just because they are out. you are a fan.
    I won't stop watching Tech because I like em but I don't really care if they win or lose to anyone now. What's the difference between 10-2 and 2-10 in college football? For tech, nothing.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I won't stop watching Tech because I like em but I don't really care if they win or lose to anyone now. What's the difference between 10-2 and 2-10 in college football? For tech, nothing.
    I get you.
    Basketball fever probably helped with this as Tech has almost grabbed the big one and basically has a chance if they keep recruiting and getting the good play that now seems fairly normal.

For me a season where we actually beat Oklahoma and then maybe win another Big 12 championship would be nice. Its pure folly at this point to think of another National Championship. So specific games and actually playing some good games is a relief from the torture. Baby steps I guess.

And the NIL, transfer portal and conference changes still leave so much unknown... I have time to wait. And Hope since I now have accepted college football is fully Minor league professional teams. With some big differences in pay.
    Also I am used to professional soccer where money rules and the best teams have the richest owners. And changes in the big teams on top really has not changed all that much. There are very few ways for any type of fairness. No draft for teams that do poorly, they get sent down to a lower paying league. cutthroat stuff...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I get you.
    Basketball fever probably helped with this as Tech has almost grabbed the big one and basically has a chance if they keep recruiting and getting the good play that now seems fairly normal.

For me a season where we actually beat Oklahoma and then maybe win another Big 12 championship would be nice. Its pure folly at this point to think of another National Championship. So specific games and actually playing some good games is a relief from the torture. Baby steps I guess.

And the NIL, transfer portal and conference changes still leave so much unknown... I have time to wait. And Hope since I now have accepted college football is fully Minor league professional teams. With some big differences in pay.
    Also I am used to professional soccer where money rules and the best teams have the richest owners. And changes in the big teams on top really has not changed all that much. There are very few ways for any type of fairness. No draft for teams that do poorly, they get sent down to a lower paying league. cutthroat stuff...
    They should get cracking making the rules the same. No one toe sideline catches, no dumb super wide hash marks, and basketball is the worst. Possession arrow is just dumb.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The possession arrow being used still is mind blowing re ed.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It’s 2 PM on Tuesday
    And…
    ou still sucks

Thread Information