Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I also would lobby that we get Texas Tech as a permanent out of conference game. I think they hate us as much as ATM, ARky and OU do.
    Maybe ATM would do the same, but I doubt it. It would be too scary. Tortillas and such...
    goal posts

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Oh yeah. The skewering attempt.
    They absolutely hate ATM...

But as far as playing them, ATM considers them... no.
    And apparently so does UT. Which imo is sad. Because they do not like UT, at all. Especially after Beard.

And now way back in history I read this:

1. During a 1973 game against Texas A&M, Rice’s marching band made fun of several Aggie traditions. The band marched out to the field in a military-style goose-step and turned the Aggie War Hymn into "March of the Wooden Soldiers.” The band also made fun of Texas A&M’s school mascot, the dog Reveille, by forming a fire hydrant. An angry group of Texas A&M students gathered outside Rice’s stadium, and the band eventually had to be transported out via food service trucks. The performance has since been dubbed “The Halftime of Infamy.”

Good times as long as no one got hurt.

And..... Damn what a great halftime band!

1. During a halftime game against UT-Austin’s Longhorns in 2007, the MOB mocked some UT football players' run-ins with the law. The MOB’s narrator said: "In the two years since the MOB last visited Austin, your team's demeanor — and misdemeanor — has changed.” The narrator added that the game’s program included “Mack Brown's wrist-slap Top 10 and a photo guide to the next episode of America's Most Wanted." Meanwhile, band members carrying cardboard police cars chased others dressed as UT-Austin football players.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Oh yeah. The skewering attempt.
    They absolutely hate ATM...

But as far as playing them, ATM considers them... no.
    And apparently so does UT. Which imo is sad. Because they do not like UT, at all. Especially after Beard.

And now way back in history I read this:

1. During a 1973 game against Texas A&M, Rice’s marching band made fun of several Aggie traditions. The band marched out to the field in a military-style goose-step and turned the Aggie War Hymn into "March of the Wooden Soldiers.” The band also made fun of Texas A&M’s school mascot, the dog Reveille, by forming a fire hydrant. An angry group of Texas A&M students gathered outside Rice’s stadium, and the band eventually had to be transported out via food service trucks. The performance has since been dubbed “The Halftime of Infamy.”

Good times as long as no one got hurt.

And..... Damn what a great halftime band!

1. During a halftime game against UT-Austin’s Longhorns in 2007, the MOB mocked some UT football players' run-ins with the law. The MOB’s narrator said: "In the two years since the MOB last visited Austin, your team's demeanor — and misdemeanor — has changed.” The narrator added that the game’s program included “Mack Brown's wrist-slap Top 10 and a photo guide to the next episode of America's Most Wanted." Meanwhile, band members carrying cardboard police cars chased others dressed as UT-Austin football players.
    yeah, it was a solid rivalry and genuine dislike. not to mention that the pirate owned the aggies.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    yeah, it was a solid rivalry and genuine dislike. not to mention that the pirate owned the aggies.
    Oh forgot that as well.
    The dropped interception by Blake Gideon in TT and Crabtree scoring to beat us...

I am so sad I did not get to see The Mob from Rice.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Oh forgot that as well.
    The dropped interception by Blake Gideon in TT and Crabtree scoring to beat us...

I am so sad I did not get to see The Mob from Rice.
    They were great. They once made a fire hydrant in 'honor' of Reveille and did a goose step march to spite the corps of cadets (classic). of course, a bunch of fascist ags threatened to assault them on a couple of occasions and the band members had to be carefully led out of the stadium. good times.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The SEC now considering an 8 game conference schedule with 4 out of conference puffball games.
    This is pure . UT and Oklahoma were invited to make good compe ion almost every week for teams.
    UT was thought to get the pleasure of playing OU, Aggie and Arky EVERY year along with good games with other SEC foes.

Now there is pushing back because everyone in the SEC wants to make a bowl game. So take an automatic 4 wins and go from there?
    What a bunch of chicken s... And ATM wants nothing to do with playing us every year? Only OU wants that.
    Pitiful scheduling move if it happens. This almost the same reasoning the SEC and ATm never wanted to play UT in a bowl game.
    Lets get out of the season looking good with the record and make some money? Lets get all the teams we can into the playoffs? Pure Bull .

I normally dont agree with this guy on everything but the main points are right on.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    And disagree with his point to google the out of conference schedule.
    Here is ATMs first year in the SEC

SMU
    South Carolina State
    Louisiana Tech
    Sam Houston State

This is with perhaps the best player to ever play college football, Johnny Manziel.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It’s for the best
    UT can’t handle Iowa State
    There is no way they can run a SEC gauntlet

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It’s for the best
    UT can’t handle Iowa State
    There is no way they can run a SEC gauntlet
    Fk that thought.
    If we cant then we lose.
    Tough luck. We should not have entered. We entered to get better players to recruit. We have finally done that. Lets see how it plays out.
    Good teams every week is good viewing. Fk the record. If we are good enough we will have a good record.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    SEC more worried about teams individual records than quality of games.
    They went to 8 conference games for 2024 it appears.
    If it stays this way, OU is the only team we will play every year. NO atm, arky every year. Just sad stuff.

What a chicken conference.
    We will recruit better players, and play a crap schedule possibly unless we dont choose 3 or 4 teams to slaughter every year as out of conference games.
    the two biggest reasons to enter this conference was to get better recruits AND to play better teams.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

SMU
    South Carolina State
    Louisiana Tech
    Sam Houston State

This is with perhaps the best player to ever play college football, Johnny Manziel.
    I thought they had new rules in place making at least a few of those OOC games be from power 5 conferences

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I thought they had new rules in place making at least a few of those OOC games be from power 5 conferences
    they may indeed. But that was ATMs 4 powerful opponents out of conf FIRST year in the conference they craved to play in because of "better" compe ion.

Everyone is now likely lining up Washington St. for a game.... or some other downtrodden Power 5 teams before they go away because no "Power" conference wants them.
    , I dont even know what a power conference will be two years from now. I guess its too much to ask to play OU, ATM, and Arky every year and mix in 6 one year and the other six SEC the following year. Btw I personally would love to have TT every year as well. Thats another team that loved to beat us. these are the best types of games imo.

The unfettered joy TT had beating up ATM while Leach was there, ya gotta miss that.

Btw we are supposed to play Michigan home and home coming up in a bit. I hope we keep that.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    What a fantastic schedule for Texas fans who want to watch good teams.
    Georgia, Florida, ATm, OU, Arky, at Michigan .... UTSA
    Now all the SEC needs to do is make sure Texas plays ATM, OU, and Arky every year and make a real conference schedule of at least 9 games.

LSU has an incredible schedule. Absolutely huge for their fans. USC and UCLA out of conference. And they play Georgia AND Alabama in the same year. oh yes the minor teams... ATm.

And think of the teams in the SEC that thought the partying in College Station was rather dull and NOW... you get to come to Austin to see your team play? "wtf just happened, we thought Texas was all about the Dixie Chicken..."
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-14-2023 at 10:43 PM.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

SMU
    South Carolina State
    Louisiana Tech
    Sam Houston State

A&M had to scramble to find opponents for their first couple seasons in the SEC. You can't just call up whomever and say "lets play next year". It doesn't work that way as schedules/opponents are typically ironed out 5-10 years in advance. Not to mention that A&M wanted to keep playing Texas and y'all ran away from that game at the time. A&M had to move around/cancel/add new games in a short order after they moved conferences. Since that time they have had non-conference games/home and homes with Arizona State, UCLA, Clemson, Miami, and this year Notre Dame. We have not avoided tough out of conference opponents and most of the SEC doesn't. Look in your own conference (Baylor) if you want to see that.

SEC more worried about teams individual records than quality of games.
    They went to 8 conference games for 2024 it appears.
    If it stays this way, OU is the only team we will play every year. NO atm, arky every year. Just sad stuff.

What a chicken conference.
    We will recruit better players, and play a crap schedule possibly unless we dont choose 3 or 4 teams to slaughter every year as out of conference games.
    the two biggest reasons to enter this conference was to get better recruits AND to play better teams.
    The SEC will go to 9 games eventually. They are staying at 8 games for the first season but it isn't a long term solution. This is primarily due to money/tv contracts (which is what all this is about). The SEC wants to see ESPN up the tv contracts by going to nine conference games and they need more time to iron this out.

they may indeed. But that was ATMs 4 powerful opponents out of conf FIRST year in the conference they craved to play in because of "better" compe ion.

Everyone is now likely lining up Washington St. for a game.... or some other downtrodden Power 5 teams before they go away because no "Power" conference wants them.
    , I dont even know what a power conference will be two years from now. I guess its too much to ask to play OU, ATM, and Arky every year and mix in 6 one year and the other six SEC the following year. Btw I personally would love to have TT every year as well. Thats another team that loved to beat us. these are the best types of games imo.

The unfettered joy TT had beating up ATM while Leach was there, ya gotta miss that.

Btw we are supposed to play Michigan home and home coming up in a bit. I hope we keep that.
    A&M didn't leave because they craved to play in a conference with better compe ion. They left to get away from the dictatorship that was the university of texas who created an unlevel playing field that benefitted themselves over the rest of the conference. Now they are coming into the SEC and that is fine... well gladly play again; however, Texas isn't calling the shots anymore like they used to.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Deputy commissioner of the Big 12:

"The choice of Texas to leave the conference was not a financial one. They would rather get beat by Alabama than Kansas State, or Florida rather than Kansas State."

This is gonna be one tough season on refs again. Last year Penalties UT v. Ok St. : Texas 14, Ok St. 0.... The holding calls on the offensive line in the Big 12 are crazy. They want to keep that passing game clean. You can tackle defensive linemen.
    Well thats quite a sendoff. Everyone hates us and we lose. Makes for a very popular team to watch on Saturday.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    A&M had to scramble to find opponents for their first couple seasons in the SEC. You can't just call up whomever and say "lets play next year". It doesn't work that way as schedules/opponents are typically ironed out 5-10 years in advance. Not to mention that A&M wanted to keep playing Texas and y'all ran away from that game at the time. A&M had to move around/cancel/add new games in a short order after they moved conferences. Since that time they have had non-conference games/home and homes with Arizona State, UCLA, Clemson, Miami, and this year Notre Dame. We have not avoided tough out of conference opponents and most of the SEC doesn't. Look in your own conference (Baylor) if you want to see that.

The SEC will go to 9 games eventually. They are staying at 8 games for the first season but it isn't a long term solution. This is primarily due to money/tv contracts (which is what all this is about). The SEC wants to see ESPN up the tv contracts by going to nine conference games and they need more time to iron this out.

A&M didn't leave because they craved to play in a conference with better compe ion. They left to get away from the dictatorship that was the university of texas who created an unlevel playing field that benefitted themselves over the rest of the conference. Now they are coming into the SEC and that is fine... well gladly play again; however, Texas isn't calling the shots anymore like they used to.
    So ATM had no one on their schedule out of conference? It was not done ahead of time?
    Texas had/has Alabama (twice), and in 2024-25 Michigan. who did ATm have? A blank slate?

We are coming and ATms vote to leave us out went? Oh changed?
    We also will NOT be chanting S E C...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Already making excuses

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Already making excuses
    "The choice of Texas leaving was NOT a financial one..."

Money always has its place.

lol... horse manure.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Maybe this move to the SEC will help ut to realize the consistent domination it should being so well heeled and in such an ideal location (except for this gawd awful summer heat).
    In all sports
    Maybe
    You never know at this point
    Prolly not though

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Honestly I dont get why people even have the notion that college football is fair from a money perspective.
    There are a bunch of rich ass UT alums and huge following. They are the #1 most valuable football program as rated by almost any metric.
    The whining over the ESPN deal was stupid. What school would not have taken that $. Look what ND has done with NBC.
    This is so much about money. But if the actual rules of a game in progress changes... thats not a good look. The Big 12 has already done this with holding because "pass heavy" has a market.

If one watches this whole video and understands what the COO of the Big 12 said he just does not get it.
    Spoiler alter for the video below. One of these Texas guys (the one on the right) discussing this is absolutely livid and disrespectful. He kinda illustrates why people do hate Texas.
    But this is for certain;
    These guys have absolutely valid points. College Sports has changed. Its semi pro football, and even before then, it was never fair in building talent.
    Its just clear that Texas has been extraordinarily bad and getting top recruiting classes like the heydays of Mack Brown. And of course Daryll Royal. Now Texas has had a #5 and a #3 recruiting classes in a row that actually put value on Offensively lineman which just went away Mack past prime all the way to Herman. Now they have to get DL and thats not going as well in recruiting but getting better.

Anyways... this below is funny for me. This one guy is totally pissed and succeeds (imo) in the annihilation of Tim Weiser of the Big 12 and shows his UT bravado in the money-power theme.

Post Count
    "The choice of Texas leaving was NOT a financial one..."

Money always has its place.

lol... horse manure.
    Of course money was a factor.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Northwestern controversy

Understand the HC being canned but the Assistants remained AND the baseball coach was fired?

Odd event

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Northwestern controversy

Understand the HC being canned but the Assistants remained AND the baseball coach was fired?

Odd event
    This is truly a head scratcher.
    Lots of silence on this whole affair.
    And from a school that prides itself on journalism.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Of course money was a factor.

Deputy commissioner of the Big 12:

"The choice of Texas to leave the conference was not a financial one. They would rather get beat by Alabama than Kansas State, or Florida rather than Kansas State."

Its a pretty good try at a dig, yet at the same time very stupid.
    Especially since we have beaten K. State 6 times in a row.
    The money thing is quite blatantly stupid.

Thread Information