Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised no one has made a thread to say: “Let’s trade for Ayton now!” Send McDermott and surpluss for him, maybe the 25th pick in this years draft… then do the Jakob deal with Hornets! Lol I have no idea what I am talking about but this thread needs some bumping.
    Suns would want Poeltl and a legit backup pg as a starting point for discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Ayton...he's a poor man's Duncan, but still pretty much exactly what this team needs. Put him around our young pieces, and it at least gets us back in the playoff conversation.

If Spurs could find a way to get him (either as an FA, or through trade without selling the farm)...I'd be all for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Ayton...he's a poor man's Duncan, but still pretty much exactly what this team needs. Put him around our young pieces, and it at least gets us back in the playoff conversation.

If Spurs could find a way to get him (either as an FA, or through trade without selling the farm)...I'd be all for it.
    I'd do McDermott, Jones (unless a FA) and 25th pick for Ayton. Not sure how that works though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd do McDermott, Jones (unless a FA) and 25th pick for Ayton. Not sure how that works though.
    I’d rather save McDermott and an FRP for a trade for super star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised no one has made a thread to say: “Let’s trade for Ayton now!” Send McDermott and surpluss for him, maybe the 25th pick in this years draft… then do the Jakob deal with Hornets! Lol I have no idea what I am talking about but this thread needs some bumping.
    haha see above… you nailed it

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suns would want Poeltl and a legit backup pg as a starting point for discussion.
    They wouldn't be interested in anything the Spurs have on the roster.

They would want an established star, preferably a big in return.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your dreams Phoenix would have any interest in that low ball offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your dreams Phoenix would have any interest in that low ball offer.
    Problem is that Phoenix is dealing with a distressed asset here. They don’t have all the leverage.

Having said that though, the Spurs were able to get a good deal out of Derozan considering he was leaving anyways. And yet the Spurs have assets right now that they have to turn into an improvement. So that’s the tricky part. How to use those assets. Also, the player needs to want to join the Spurs to begin with.

I am lukewarm on Ayton myself. I like him enough to be interested, but I have my doubts with him. I don’t watch him enough, bottom line and he can come up short so often when you need him. I am interested in what others think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I'm lukewarm on all the trade/FA targets honestly -- Ayton, Lavine, Beal. They all seem LaMarcus "empty calories" Aldridge-like to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t want to pay $30M to be in the playoff conversation, I want to pay $30 M to be in the conference finals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Doug and Richardson, which together gets you closer to the matching salary on Year 1 an Ayton' 4 year max. But, PHX would likely need more, which could be one of the picks we select, a future pick, or a young guy on the roster. Or, the teams could make the deal bigger with Spurs taking back Saric and sending our Romeo/other meh asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Doug and Richardson, which together gets you closer to the matching salary on Year 1 an Ayton' 4 year max. But, PHX would likely need more, which could be one of the picks we select, a future pick, or a young guy on the roster. Or, the teams could make the deal bigger with Spurs taking back Saric and sending our Romeo/other meh asset.
    No fking chance we are interested in Ayton and rightfully so. Pop and Monty are close and I’m sure they compare notes.

JRich, Jak and an FRP (top 14 protected) would be a fair market value but I am absolutely not interested at all. He is Andrew Bynum 2.0 with upside; might make sense for the certain teams but not us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No fking chance we are interested in Ayton and rightfully so. Pop and Monty are close and I’m sure they compare notes.

JRich, Jak and an FRP (top 14 protected) would be a fair market value but I am absolutely not interested at all. He is Andrew Bynum 2.0 with upside; might make sense for the certain teams but not us.
    I do think any interest the Spurs may have had, if they even did, took a huge hit after Game 7 and Monty's "internal" comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is so underwhelming... far fewer blocks & assists than Poeltl, and pretty pedestrian impact stats, especially for a guy on a 64 win team. I suppose it's the same situation as LaVine: use the salary space to grab a guy who can be flipped later in a bigger move to get a truly impactful star-- but it's hard to get too excited over him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I'm lukewarm on all the trade/FA targets honestly -- Ayton, Lavine, Beal. They all seem LaMarcus "empty calories" Aldridge-like to me.
    Lamarcus carried a couple of poor SA teams to the playoffs… but LMA is actually who came to mind. Different games of course, but just a player that doesn't have a higher gear when you need him.

I do keep coming back to what do you do with 4 picks and some contracts who are really not keepers? This is not about an evaluation of Ayton or Lavine in a ranking of the top players in the NBA. It’s a real world evaluation within context. It’s them versus what you have on the roster.

I do think the Spurs need to turn some of their assets into at least some kind of improvement somewhere. The worst that could happen is that you draft all those 4 guys, none of which has a chance to be as good as Lavine or Ayton right now. And if we are optimistic, let’s say they get one hit, the other 3 are below average, average at best, and nowhere close to the trade targets.

They also have some salary they can turn into a different player. So its a lot about opportunity cost, trying to get better in context, and building around the pieces that you have.

A franchise player is not up for trade, so you can only consider among the options that you have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is so underwhelming... far fewer blocks & assists than Poeltl, and pretty pedestrian impact stats, especially for a guy on a 64 win team. I suppose it's the same situation as LaVine: use the salary space to grab a guy who can be flipped later in a bigger move to get a truly impactful star-- but it's hard to get too excited over him.
    Absolutely bc people love the idea of picks … then those guys are drafted and only one or two look like a keeper, and I am being generous here. I really want them to continue building through the draft, but I think they also need to be a savvy FO that is opportunistic getting a young asset when they can, to play right now and as a bargaining chip in future trades as well like you point out.

I like Jakob. I was really impressed with him in the play in game. I am just wondering if a younger center with a jumpshot wouldn’t be an improvement. I also wonder whether Ayton still has some untapped potential bc playing with CP3 I bet there is only a certain role they wanted from him. I dont have the answer, and honestly I am not sold. But I am considering it.

Wait until Jakob gets paid what he should be getting paid when he’s up for his contract, and folks will be more amenable to consider a higher upside alternative. What worries me with Ayton really is the motor issues. I wonder about him, not going to lie, but I am intrigued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want to pay $30M to be in the playoff conversation, I want to pay $30 M to be in the conference finals.
    Agreed, but I don't see anyone on the FA market that instantly catapults us to that position. Spurs aren't going to bring in a Durant or Luka or Giannis, etc.

I think a combination of adding someone like Ayton, hopefully getting lucky in the lottery and/or draft, and continued progress from the likes of Murray, Vassell, Primo, Johnson, etc gets us as about as close as we can reasonably hope for in the next couple years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus carried a couple of poor SA teams to the playoffs… but LMA is actually who came to mind. Different games of course, but just a player that doesn't have a higher gear when you need him.

I do keep coming back to what do you do with 4 picks and some contracts who are really not keepers? This is not about an evaluation of Ayton or Lavine in a ranking of the top players in the NBA. It’s a real world evaluation within context. It’s them versus what you have on the roster.

I do think the Spurs need to turn some of their assets into at least some kind of improvement somewhere. The worst that could happen is that you draft all those 4 guys, none of which has a chance to be as good as Lavine or Ayton right now. And if we are optimistic, let’s say they get one hit, the other 3 are below average, average at best, and nowhere close to the trade targets.

They also have some salary they can turn into a different player. So its a lot about opportunity cost, trying to get better in context, and building around the pieces that you have.

A franchise player is not up for trade, so you can only consider among the options that you have.
    Our picks in this draft cannot be used to trade for either Ayton or Lavine. They both would need to be signed and traded, and that cannot happen until July. That is considered the next NBA business year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think any interest the Spurs may have had, if they even did, took a huge hit after Game 7 and Monty's "internal" comment.
    I had forgotten about this. That is likely a no then…
    But consider this. Luka Doncic quarreled with Porzinguis and coach Rick Carlisle. He was starting to seem like a locker room cancer/diva to me.
    Different year and different coach ends in a different result and a reevaluation of what was going on.

I think Ayton has been scapegoated to be quite honest with you. The whole entire Suns team didn’t show up ready to play. Some of that has to be on Monty. Then only Ayton gets the bench and the team was even worse without him. I have to evaluate this in context. He's the fall guy. Meantime CP3 saying he was playing with a hamstring injury… and where is the rest of the Suns? Where is Booker? Where is everyone else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our picks in this draft cannot be used to trade for either Ayton or Lavine. They both would need to be signed and traded, and that cannot happen until July. That is considered the next NBA business year.
    Oh thanks. I did not know that. It changes my consideration for sure and makes me wonder what is going to happen with all those 4 guys… I find it hard to believe Spurs will have all 4 rookies in the roster. I suppose there will be a Gleague deal in there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty lukewarm on Ayton myself. Does he have a consistent mid range shot really? What does he do better than Poeltl? Or I should say, what does he do thats worth $10-$15M more than Poeltl gets? (The range depends on if we're talking Poeltl's current salary or his salary after an extention)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh thanks. I did not know that. It changes my consideration for sure and makes me wonder what is going to happen with all those 4 guys… I find it hard to believe Spurs will have all 4 rookies in the roster. I suppose there will be a Gleague deal in there.
    My guess is we either package them to move up from 20 or we move one for a future first down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are hilarious to me. They value someone like Derrick White who's the 9th man on the Celtics, but don't want anybody who'd be the best or 2nd best player on their team, because "character"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Luka Doncic ended Ayton's career (in the west). They were in the same draft with Ayton going over him and Luka just embarrassed him over and over and over again. Luka was constantly calling for Ayton to guard him and to me, the turning point of Ayton's performance came when Luka backed him down and hit a turn around jumper on him. He had been driving past Ayton all series long, but on that play, he took away Ayton's manhood by bodying up a 7 footer like it was nothing.

Ayton needs to go East to salvage his career. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but people are going to forever compare him with Luka and he will be on the list of #1 busts simply bc they could've drafted Luka. And Luca will be eating him up his entire career if Ayton stays west. He needs to bail and go east. And the team that makes the most sense to me is the Charlotte Hornets. They trade Rozier and Harrell (and maybe the corpse of Batum or whatever filler you need) for Ayton. He gets a young running mate in Ball who loves throwing lobs and provides the Hornets with much needed improved center play.

Meanwhile Rozier provides Phoenix with a secondary scorer and a key spark off the bench that they are missing. It's a win for both teams and more importantly a win for Ayton. Because he will make the playoffs a few times in his career, he will maybe win a round or two and be thought of as a decent #1 pick who had a solid career instead of constantly losing and constantly being compared to a legend like Luka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might be able to kick those two late first rounders into future drafts, and then use them this summer in trades.

Thread Information