Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbqh i dont think it was so much a matter of tim having defensive deficiencies, as opposed to how star players now could just cakewalk to the paint, without a guy like bruce bowen to make them work. kawhi refilled that role, and tim went right back to being arguably the best defensive big in the NBA
    That's a fair point lol.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to close this thread tbh. I think 2003 Spurs is a better comparison. Let a pesky inferior team take them to 6

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbqh i dont think it was so much a matter of tim having defensive deficiencies, as opposed to how star players now could just cakewalk to the paint, without a guy like bruce bowen to make them work. kawhi refilled that role, and tim went right back to being arguably the best defensive big in the NBA
    Yup. Not just Kawhi, but also LDN. When adjusted for pace of possession in the early 2010s compared to the 2000s, the DRtg (rather than going by mere PPG) was better in the Wing Stop era than in the Bowen + whoever at the other wing position (Smitty/Jax/Turkey/Barry/Brown/Finley/RMJ et al.) era. And + Choo-Choo was just an awful combo, not to mention the turd towers.

Pelicans just made it 2-2, making my thread *potentially* relevant again.
    Adding Leonard / Green / Diaw / Jackson in 2011-12 and sending Jefferson out to Golden State definitely gave Duncan a lot more defensive help, but I think he also lost some weight after two hugely disappointing postseasons in a row if I remember right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding Leonard / Green / Diaw / Jackson in 2011-12 and sending Jefferson out to Golden State definitely gave Duncan a lot more defensive help, but I think he also lost some weight after two hugely disappointing postseasons in a row if I remember right.
    Adding Tiago to the rotation as well instead of giving starter minutes to Bonner and Blair.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding Tiago to the rotation as well instead of giving starter minutes to Bonner and Blair.
    Blair and Jefferson were straight up liabilities. Blair was never an NBA player but he was tailor made to dominate pick up games in streetball. He would commit a turnover or throw up a hopeless prayer every single time he actually had a man guarding him and not a wide open layup at the rim. Just not fit for the NBA, even if his knees were structurally intact. One of the lowest-IQ players I've ever seen, but with that height and body he'd be the first guy picked (he'd never be a Captain because he can't shoot beyond 5 feet) and win his pick up team on the streets a lot of pick up games. Jefferson on the other hand was a very athletic and solid NBA player in his early years with the Nets but then injuries derailed his athleticism and he never really learned to play below the rim or play defense and the Spurs got the washed up version of him which was just unfortunate. A guy like Jefferson was bascially the opposite of Timmy, his game aged like a loaf of bread instead of wine because he needed to be able to jump high and twist and turn and make flashy dunks and get fouled in order to be good at all and he just wasn't that player post injuries and couldn't adapt because he didn't have enough old-school "junk" in his game and he was an average spot up shooter at best.

Bonner on the other hand was an asset when used in the Danny Ferry type of role, basically a couple short stints a game to energize the team and nail a few timely threes (see 5). When used in the Horry role, Bonner of course was a liability on defense. But at least he could qualify as an NBA player, albeit not an NBA caliber starter, because he was actually damn good at something, and his role was perfect after Diaw became our Robert Horry 2.0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amy getting ed down by Hervé Villechaize helped, Tim was a wild man.

Thread Information