Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really a wise move on our side, in order to sign Ayton to the max we need to cancel all our non-guranteed contracts and then we would not be able to make a move for other FA. By the time Pho decided to match we might be in a ty position. Unless we decided to go all in or top 4 lottery pick offering the MAX to a RFA is not a great choice.
    There’s no one else available.

They’d miss on nothing.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith put up good numbers in PHO, too, when Ayton was out on protocols. They’re not a bottom feeder. That’s what originally made people sit up and notice. It’s also probably what cost PHO the ability to re-sign him at a bargain.

There is some good basketball being talked here lately, so the last thing I want to do is argue just to be arguing. I'll seriously let you educate me if I'm mistaken, and I'll admit I didn't follow him as closely as I remember some of you doing when he was in Phoenix. I thought that most of those good games in Phoenix were against sort of doormat teams. And didn't Phoenix basically dump him, even after that? Or are you saying that they dumped him because they knew they were going to have to pay him and they're already stacked?

Do you have any explanation for how he went from being really disappointing to someone you guys (and a lot of others) are really excited about? At the very least I'm always skeptical of a guy who isn't motivated until he needs a contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no one else available.

They’d miss on nothing.
    There is no one that we really need now, however if we dump all our non-guaranteed contracts to try and sign Ayton, we would need plenty especially 4 and 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is some good basketball being talked here lately, so the last thing I want to do is argue just to be arguing. I'll seriously let you educate me if I'm mistaken, and I'll admit I didn't follow him as closely as I remember some of you doing when he was in Phoenix. I thought that most of those good games in Phoenix were against sort of doormat teams. And didn't Phoenix basically dump him, even after that? Or are you saying that they dumped him because they knew they were going to have to pay him and they're already stacked?

Do you have any explanation for how he went from being really disappointing to someone you guys (and a lot of others) are really excited about? At the very least I'm always skeptical of a guy who isn't motivated until he needs a contract.

Phoenix pretty much had to dump him for Pennie’s on the dollar because they declined his option. This whoever has his rights can’t give him for money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no one that we really need now, however if we dump all our non-guaranteed contracts to try and sign Ayton, we would need plenty especially 4 and 5.

Nah. The non guaranteeds the spurs have are borderline wanting back anyways

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can, and I probably phrased that badly trying to be brief. And if I'm being honest, it sort of reflects bias more than objectivity. I think someone will vastly overpay for him, and I'm not 100% sold. He piled up a lot of his numbers on a team that was in lose-now mode.

No one called me on it, but that's exactly the argument against Bagley's end-of-season numbers in Detroit. Their situations are similar in a lot of ways, but if you just look at raw numbers Bagley could be the better value. Up until those 22 games with the Pacers, there's just not much to recommend Smith. Bagley actually put up pretty consistent numbers 5 years in a row, even if the number of games he played is a little iffy.

I should have said that, and I don't blame you guys for jumping on that statement.
    Hopefully we can nab him💪🏽

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Throw as much money at Ayton as you can

2. Trade for John Collins if they will take some combination of Poeltl, Doug, Lonnie, and Boston 1st round pick

3. Trade for Gobert if they will take the same deal for Collins

4. Throw some money at Mo Bamba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when Jalen Smith was on the trade block, a few guys objected to the Spurs trading for him and it just made me think that had the Spurs wanted him, they could have also traded for him, but they passed up that opportunity. Nothing (so far)leads me to believe they want him. Weren’t some guys here saying he was a bust rah rah? I think he’s interesting but why not trade for him b4 when the Suns first started to try to trade him?
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-22-2022 at 10:57 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when Jalen Smith was on the trade block, a few guys objected to the Spurs trading for him and it just made me think that had the Spurs wanted him, they could have also traded for him, but they passed up that opportunity. Nothing (so far)leads me to believe they want him. Weren’t some guys here saying he was a bust rah rah? I think he’s interesting but why not trade for him b4 when the Suns first started to try to trade him?
    Bcos Suns refused his team option. Anyone who are interested in him would not trade for him as any development done this year will be done for other teams. Anyone that take on him can only offer $4.8M to him next year, being a FA if he is useful he will get more than that.

Also the trade includes Dario Saric who is out for the season for tearing his ACL. His contract is for another year so if you take on him, you will be helping him to rehab and then again when well would be a UFA. Besides Saric is not a great player to begin with. All in all if we do trade it is to help Suns without any benefit to us.
    Last edited by XDT76; 04-22-2022 at 11:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might have to dig those trade rumors up, but don’t really want to. I remember people didn’t want to give up Thad for him or some other reasons …

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hm I found rumors that the Spurs were interested in him, which is interesting. I just remember this vaguely.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/spurs-ha...t-jalen-smith/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many times does this have to be posted here?

ONCE THE OPTION WAS DECLINED BY PHOENIX, WHOEVER HELD THE CONTRACT AT THE END OF THE YEAR WAS LIMITED TO SIGNING HIM OR SIGNING AND TRADING HIM FOR $4.7M. CAP ROOM DOESNT MATTER. IT’S A PART OF THE CBA THAT HAS TO DO WITH EXTENDING OR DECLINING OPTIONS. A SUFFICIENTLY MOTIVATED TEAM AND PLAYER COULD GAME THE SYSTEM TO GET PAID AFTER YEAR TWO INSTEAD OF AFTER YEAR FOUR.

I know this is a complex thought, but if you wanted him this summer, the best move was to NOT trade for him last February. Indy has virtually no chance to re-sign him, even though they have cap room. He’s shown enough to pull more than that $4.7M, and he’s unrestricted. The value of that toxic contract was so low, PHO had to send a second rounder with him to make the deal go through.

He’s 6’10, and in 22 games with Indy, 24.7 mpg, he put up 13.4p/7.6r and shot 37% from downtown in 3.8 attempts per game. It’s like he was designed in a lab specifically for the Spurs of today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I might just ignore ^ this completely bc of the all caps and yelling, rude manner tbh. A lot of the stuff was posted when I didn’t read it, do you assume my recent account activity is year round? No need to yell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I might just ignore ^ this completely bc of the all caps and yelling, rude manner tbh. A lot of the stuff was posted when I didn’t read it, do you assume my recent account activity is year round? No need to yell.
    It’s been posted in the last week or so. It’s been posted in the last month. It was posted in January when he blew up in PHO. If you’re going to post stupid like the Spurs must not like him because they didn’t trade for him, expect to get scorched. Keep up, or keep quiet. Your ramblings, coming from a place of lack of knowledge, add nothing. If you don’t know why the Spurs didn’t trade for him, or why that could signal interest, and you haven’t been keeping up, ASK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s been posted in the last week or so. It’s been posted in the last month. It was posted in January when he blew up in PHO. If you’re going to post stupid like the Spurs must not like him because they didn’t trade for him, expect to get scorched. Keep up, or keep quiet. Your ramblings, coming from a place of lack of knowledge, add nothing. If you don’t know why the Spurs didn’t trade for him, or why that could signal interest, and you haven’t been keeping up, ASK.
    Someone been pissing in your Wheaties lately, Holmes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you think about trading Richardson, McDermott and Langford for Westbrook plus LA's 27 FRP unprotected and Washington's 28 SRP which LA owns. Depending on who else we sign this year and assuming we sign the draft choices we currently have we would have about $58 million in salaries ($50 million if we waive Collins) with a salary cap projected around $130 million. That includes the cap hold of around $11,600,000 for Keldon. We could sign 2 max players, then extend Keldon. I may be a few million off with cap holds for minimum number of players, but close.
    Where did you see 130mm for 2022-23? Latest NBA projection a few weeks ago was 122mm. Current cap is 112mm so a jump to 130mm would be huge. By my match, renouncing Walker will leave us with ~40mm in cap this off summer. Not guaranteeing Landale, KBD, Collins gets you another 5 or so.

Also Keldon’s extension won’t come into effect till 23-24 season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik been balling…… he would have hurt the tank for sure!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some good points made by many in this thread…….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jalen smith was trash though

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jalen smith was trash though
    Touché

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow will be his replacement for me….. I like Barlow! He’s a bright young dude it appears.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Throw as much money at Ayton as you can

2. Trade for John Collins if they will take some combination of Poeltl, Doug, Lonnie, and Boston 1st round pick

3. Trade for Gobert if they will take the same deal for Collins

4. Throw some money at Mo Bamba
    Genius. Absolute genius.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genius. Absolute genius.
    Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many times does this have to be posted here?

ONCE THE OPTION WAS DECLINED BY PHOENIX, WHOEVER HELD THE CONTRACT AT THE END OF THE YEAR WAS LIMITED TO SIGNING HIM OR SIGNING AND TRADING HIM FOR $4.7M. CAP ROOM DOESNT MATTER. IT’S A PART OF THE CBA THAT HAS TO DO WITH EXTENDING OR DECLINING OPTIONS. A SUFFICIENTLY MOTIVATED TEAM AND PLAYER COULD GAME THE SYSTEM TO GET PAID AFTER YEAR TWO INSTEAD OF AFTER YEAR FOUR.

I know this is a complex thought, but if you wanted him this summer, the best move was to NOT trade for him last February. Indy has virtually no chance to re-sign him, even though they have cap room. He’s shown enough to pull more than that $4.7M, and he’s unrestricted. The value of that toxic contract was so low, PHO had to send a second rounder with him to make the deal go through.

He’s 6’10, and in 22 games with Indy, 24.7 mpg, he put up 13.4p/7.6r and shot 37% from downtown in 3.8 attempts per game. It’s like he was designed in a lab specifically for the Spurs of today.
    Imagine being so condescending just to be so wrong.

MAYBE
    HAD
    YOU
    POSTED
    IT
    THIS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine being so condescending just to be so wrong.

MAYBE
    HAD
    YOU
    POSTED
    IT
    THIS
    I
    THINK
    I
    DID
    SOMEWHERE
    ELSE