Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that is not what I wanted to hear, but I would have wanted the truth, so thanks to that scout for giving his honest opinion. It's brutal, but I guess it needed to be heard. I also was wearing silver and black glasses, but deep down, I didn't really think he's a lottery pick. Maybe late first round at best.
    I’m one of his biggest naysayers but that is still just one’s scouts opinion. Rarely do the Spurs have a consensus view on prospects and they are appear to have a different criteria than most.

I don’t think anyone is arguing Primo is a bust but that the bar is pretty high for where he was taken to be justified and a year later it’s still pretty unclear.

I do enjoy seeing ST temper their expectations though. They were pretty damn lofty in the early days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he's trash or anything. I hope he becomes a very good player for the team. Like you said, it's still early, so we'll see where he's at. I feel it was a bit of a reach by the Spurs, but not sure who you guys would have picked at that spot instead, and the other question is, would Primo have still been on the table for the Spurs' next pick.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he's trash or anything. I hope he becomes a very good player for the team. Like you said, it's still early, so we'll see where he's at. I feel it was a bit of a reach by the Spurs, but not sure who you guys would have picked at that spot instead, and the other question is, would Primo have still been on the table for the Spurs' next pick.
    I would have taken Moses Moody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rarely do the Spurs have a consensus view on prospects and they are appear to have a different criteria than most.

I don’t think anyone is arguing Primo is a bust but that the bar is pretty high for where he was taken to be justified and a year later it’s still pretty unclear.
    What bothers me the most, and where I see a lapse of judgment from the FO, is that there's an opportunity cost associated with drafting a project: there's the pick itself (which could get you a different player or you can turn it into a future pick... and yes there was that chance since Houston paid OKC 2 future firsts for no. 16), and there's ALSO the roster spot and playing time devoted to developing him, which you could use on someone else, which should not be dismissed.
    So if you take a player who is 2/3 years down the road and use a lottery pick to do it, you DAMN BETTER be picking someone with a SKY HIGH ceiling. That's where I think the FO got it wrong to begin with. Other than that he's a Spur so I'm rooting for him to become as good as he can be, but I just hope the FO LEARNS from this, and don't use no. 9 on some 18 year old without some OBVIOUS freakishly good trait (athletic or skill wise).
    Last edited by Ariel; 05-20-2022 at 10:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it wrong that we are holding Primo at high standards. Well Spurs did use their Lottery pick on him so shouldn't we be ?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he would have been but if he wasn't so what, it isn't like Primo is something so special you can't miss out on him.

I just don't see what the FO saw in him that they thought they couldn't take a chance at losing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he would have been but if he wasn't so what, it isn't like Primo is something so special you can't miss out on him.

I just don't see what the FO saw in him that they thought they couldn't take a chance at losing him.
    Draft is a crap shoot so more wins than losses over the long term is the goal and make sure you keep your wins much bugger than your losses. Traditionally we have done that. These last 4 years we have been AVERAGE:

- Walker fell to us for a reason but made sense at the time so even 4 years later fair pick: C+
    - Luka was a reach but an acceptable risk given we had another pick in the first. I understand taking a flier and understand why we cut him so soon but still: F
    - Keldon at was a solid pick and we are lucky he fell to us: A
    - Vassel was a fair pick at 12 and still early to have a strong view: B
    - Primo, still very early but even if he becomes a solid role player 2-3 yrs out he was an absolute reach: C

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft is a crap shoot so more wins than losses over the long term is the goal and make sure you keep your wins much bugger than your losses. Traditionally we have done that. These last 4 years we have been AVERAGE:

- Walker fell to us for a reason but made sense at the time so even 4 years later fair pick: C+
    - Luka was a reach but an acceptable risk given we had another pick in the first. I understand taking a flier and understand why we cut him so soon but still: F
    - Keldon at was a solid pick and we are lucky he fell to us: A
    - Vassel was a fair pick at 12 and still early to have a strong view: B
    - Primo, still very early but even if he becomes a solid role player 2-3 yrs out he was an absolute reach: C
    I'd give Primo a D after his first season. And Walker no more than a C. The rest I agree on.

Grades can change but I'd grade on production of date from the picks so yes just about average for the fo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will see…….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will see…….

what else can we do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all the "he wasnt even supposed to be good until year 3" type stuff just sounds like samanic all over again

this guy was a lottery pick, not some second round stash

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it wrong that we are holding Primo at high standards. Well Spurs did use their Lottery pick on him so shouldn't we be ?
    He's
    played
    one
    year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all the "he wasnt even supposed to be good until year 3" type stuff just sounds like samanic all over again

Sammie and lonnie are mental midgets. Primo is by all accounts savvy. The wait is to get stronger and rework the shooting. We have a crowded backcourt so he can't play big minutes or be a ball dominant project

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You act like he was a top 3 pick. He was picked at TWELVE.

Look at the vertical line for #10. Move two dots to the right. It's sitting on the ZERO line. Twelve is not a hot spot for grabbing high end talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You act like he was a top 3 pick. He was picked at TWELVE.

Look at the vertical line for #10. Move two dots to the right. It's sitting on the ZERO line. Twelve is not a hot spot for grabbing high end talent.
    i didnt say he has to become an all star to justify the pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i didnt say he has to become an all star to justify the pick
    But the bust statistics are similar. You expect late lottery guys to bust. You may prefer a more mature role player vs a prospect but don't lash out on primo!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sammie and lonnie are mental midgets. Primo is by all accounts savvy. The wait is to get stronger and rework the shooting. We have a crowded backcourt so he can't play big minutes or be a ball dominant project
    That's why it could have been a mistake to not keep him in Austin.

While I know we all wanted to watch him play and see him compete against NBA compe ion (myself included), he only played 19 MPG and was usually like the 4th or 5th option. All it did was prove that maybe he wasn't quite ready for that. He averaged under six points and shot an 37.4% from the field.

In Austin, he could've been playing 30 minutes and have the ball in his hands a lot more.

I'm not on the bust bandwagon, but he definitely wasn't the rookie force that some people were expecting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why it could have been a mistake to not keep him in Austin.

While I know we all wanted to watch him play and see him compete against NBA compe ion (myself included), he only played 19 MPG and was usually like the 4th or 5th option. All it did was prove that maybe he wasn't quite ready for that. He averaged under six points and shot an 37.4% from the field.

In Austin, he could've been playing 30 minutes and have the ball in his hands a lot more.

I'm not on the bust bandwagon, but he definitely wasn't the rookie force that some people were expecting.
    I don't think it's a defensible opinion that he was going to be any kind of force. It's a misrepresentation of the debate to suggest those who wanted Primo to not be in Austin believed that. Rather, those of us who wanted Josh in SA assumed he'd play exactly like he did, which is why I am not worried about his performance. I wouldn't feel any more confident if he had dominated the d-league. That's basically tissue paper. He was and is going to develop over time, over practices and off-season workouts. He's not going to level up like an RPG character by grinding on scrub enemies outside the first dungeon. It's not the way any of that works, and it doesn't surprise me that folks who didn't realize that are worried now.

Primo doesn't have to learn to be a star. IF he is talented enough to do that, it'll come in time. He needs to learn how to be an NBA player, and he's doing that just fine. A lot of people thought that if the Spurs drafted him at 12 when the media didn't have him on their radar, it had to be another Kawhi. That was never true. Even if they thought he was going to be a top-five pick had he stayed another year (and we don't know if he would have been -- he's very likely better than the large majority of the guys coming out this year), that doesn't mean they assumed he was going to be an instant sensation at the NBA level this year. They are going to pick a player at nine, and that guy very likely won't be star. At least one of the top five picks in this draft will be a JAG or worse, playing the odds. If Josh gets to a point where he locks down a top-seven job in the rotation for a couple of contracts, he's a good pick. Was he the best pick possible? I don't know. I've disagreed with PATFO many times before on that. But he'll be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol he‘ll be 23 in 2026 and you dudes are here panicking about a 19-year old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious as to where you all would rank Primo among this year's 2 guards, purely valuing him as a prospect given what we know today, and sparing any sour grapes argument such as "he already knows the system" and such. I'm talking about an honest assessment of who's a better NBA prospect than him and who isn't from the perspective of a third party who could have a choice between them, regardless of whether he was a good pick or not last year. This year's class (partial list, obviously):
    Jaden Ivey
    Shaedon Sharpe
    Dyson Daniels
    Bennedict Mathurin
    Johnny Davis
    Malaki Branham
    Blake Wesley
    Ochai Agbaji
    Bryce McGowens
    Jaden Hardy
    Jalen Williams
    MarJon Beauchamp
    Christian Braun
    Terquavion Smith
    Trevor Keels
    Hard to say.
    If he stayed in college and got more time and more attention to do more...
    We could make a more appropriate evaluation.

Otherwise this is a false exercise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say.
    If he stayed in college and got more time and more attention to do more...
    We could make a more appropriate evaluation.

Otherwise this is a false exercise.
    I didn't ask "where he'd be drafted in this class if he had stayed at Alabama", but where any third party would rank them given what we know today, which is a fair question because evaluations take place all the time and no 2 player's path is equal. Pretty easy to understand, provided you actually are not looking for a way out to spare you from looking at the facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll just let this be….I’m done talking to the wall Primo will be fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol he‘ll be 23 in 2026 and you dudes are here panicking about a 19-year old?
    These people reside in lala land!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These people reside in lala land!
    Thanks Zoltar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't ask "where he'd be drafted in this class if he had stayed at Alabama", but where any third party would rank them given what we know today, which is a fair question because evaluations take place all the time and no 2 player's path is equal. Pretty easy to understand, provided you actually are not looking for a way out to spare you from looking at the facts.
    That’s something you invented, then. The original thought was that, IF HE STAYED IN SCHOOL, he might have been a top 5 pick in this draft. You’re trying to compare his production against grown ass men in a league where he was LITERALLY the youngest player against performances by potential draftees against their peers. There are no 30 or 35 year olds in the NCAA. The overall level of athleticism is far lower. MOST of the players of even the elite teams in the NCAA tournament will be flipping purgers or selling mens clothing in a year or two.

Thread Information