Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's impossible to say where Primo would be in this draft after another year at Bama. He was slated to play a big role. He's pretty different than most of the guards on that list, in that he was having primary playmaker duties and most of those guards don't have those abilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's impossible to say where Primo would be in this draft after another year at Bama. He was slated to play a big role. He's pretty different than most of the guards on that list, in that he was having primary playmaker duties and most of those guards don't have those abilities.
    That's exactly what I said I was not asking about. I didn't say "take a time machine go back a year and have him play at Alabama". And every player is different, that doesn't mean you can't make a choice between them. Sounds like the kind of reasoning that's usually argued to avoid an honest answer that may not be pleasant to face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid and I'd be embarrassed to post it. It was clear when he was playing late in the season that he was concentrating on getting his rotations and sets right. He also was rebuilding his shot, if you paid any attention. He was landing on one foot, which wasn't great, and was working on his stance. He may suck, he may be great, but what we saw was a kid very clearly thinking a lot about what he was doing. It's a push year getting his feet wet. Once he gets acclimated, then we can see his talent.
    yeah, i'm not a fan of hypotheticals. way too many variables involved and it just comes down to a pure guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious as to where you all would rank Primo among this year's 2 guards, purely valuing him as a prospect given what we know today, and sparing any sour grapes argument such as "he already knows the system" and such. I'm talking about an honest assessment of who's a better NBA prospect than him and who isn't from the perspective of a third party who could have a choice between them, regardless of whether he was a good pick or not last year. This year's class (partial list, obviously):
    Jaden Ivey
    Shaedon Sharpe
    Dyson Daniels
    Bennedict Mathurin
    Johnny Davis
    Malaki Branham
    Blake Wesley
    Ochai Agbaji
    Bryce McGowens
    Jaden Hardy
    Jalen Williams
    MarJon Beauchamp
    Christian Braun
    Terquavion Smith
    Trevor Keels
    Good question. Really difficult one to answer. Primo would undoubtedly be behind Sharpe and Mathurin. Most likely behind Daniels, Davis and Branham. Possibly behind Agbaji (if a contender is drafting) and Jalen Williams (if he does well in the scrimmages). Probably not behind Wesley, McGowens or Hardy. Definitely not behind the rest.

Looking at it as unbiased as I can, my guess is Primo would go somewhere between 14 and 20 in this draft if he was made available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good question. Really difficult one to answer. Primo would undoubtedly be behind Sharpe and Mathurin. Most likely behind Daniels, Davis and Branham. Possibly behind Agbaji (if a contender is drafting) and Jalen Williams (if he does well in the scrimmages). Probably not behind Wesley, McGowens or Hardy. Definitely not behind the rest.

Looking at it as unbiased as I can, my guess is Primo would go somewhere between 14 and 20 in this draft if he was made available.
    Wow . And this includes their ceiling? I think Primo can play SG/SF and ultimately backing down smaller defender, a 2-3 years project. I’d put him behind Ivey, Mathurin, Davis, Sharpe. So top 5 for me. But this list doesn’t even include the other positions, so maybe top 9-10 in this year draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid and I'd be embarrassed to post it. It was clear when he was playing late in the season that he was concentrating on getting his rotations and sets right. He also was rebuilding his shot, if you paid any attention. He was landing on one foot, which wasn't great, and was working on his stance. He may suck, he may be great, but what we saw was a kid very clearly thinking a lot about what he was doing. It's a push year getting his feet wet. Once he gets acclimated, then we can see his talent.
    Did you know he was the youngest player in the NBA?

Btw, why would I be embarrassed to post it. Nowhere did I say I cosigned everything in it. This is a ing discussion board. There's a take that clearly differs from yours, but stop being so ing defensive of players that had the third worst season in the league by at least one metric.

It's not a good look and makes you look overly defensive. And again, he clearly has a chance to improve and I've even predicted it, "if you were paying attention."

ty post here, Mr. Body. Really ty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks. I have him ranked a tier lower, as I'd still take Wesley and Hardy (simply because of offensive potential, but may end up a bust) over him, but I can see why you'd place him there, given the arguments you made in your article. In any case I hope Primo exceeds my expectations. I'm not confident he'll ever be worthy of a lottery pick, but it's not like we missed an obvious star to get him. I'll be happy if he ends up a solid rotation player 2 or 3 years down the road, which could very well be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I have him ranked a tier lower, as I'd still take Wesley and Hardy (simply because of offensive potential, but may end up a bust) over him, but I can see why you'd place him there, given the arguments you made in your article. In any case I hope Primo exceeds my expectations. I'm not confident he'll ever be worthy of a lottery pick, but it's not like we missed an obvious star to get him. I'll be happy if he ends up a solid rotation player 2 or 3 years down the road, which could very well be.
    I was curious what a non-Spurs fan thought so I texted a scout employed by an NBA team who watched Primo in person both in G League and in the NBA . . .

Ouch, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious what a non-Spurs fan thought so I texted a scout employed by an NBA team who watched Primo in person both in G League and in the NBA . . .

Ouch, tbh
    That's maybe more honesty that I was going for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I

Ouch, tbh

sounds about right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Primo is going to dominate the summer league. I do wonder, however, if the Spurs had realized they were going to have a chance at making the playoffs if they would have taken Duarte. I think in retrospect it's pretty clear Pop was not planning on the team being any good this year, and Murray and Johnson sort of dragged the team to a play-in spot. I don't think Duarte is a star, but he's a damned good player and probably would have locked down the starting two-guard spot for a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atl poster avoiding this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ouch, tbh

He reminds me of Michael

Reporter: Michael Finley?

No, Michael Jordan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol poop and our ballyhooed front office picked a player last year in the lottery that would go in the second round this year.
    And some want that drunk asshole to keep coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ouch, tbh
    You son of a , I'm in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ouch, tbh
    I was so sure that Ryen Russillo and Bill Simmons were dead wrong about the choice PATFO made last year because well, frankly they've been wrong a bunch before. But it's clear that, based on his first year at least, I was the one wearing silver and black tinted glasses. And it's a bit embarrassing because were Ryen to go back to his twitter mentions that day, I was telling him what a fool he was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peeps saying hed be a top 5 pick this draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Primo is going to dominate the summer league. I do wonder, however, if the Spurs had realized they were going to have a chance at making the playoffs if they would have taken Duarte. I think in retrospect it's pretty clear Pop was not planning on the team being any good this year, and Murray and Johnson sort of dragged the team to a play-in spot. I don't think Duarte is a star, but he's a damned good player and probably would have locked down the starting two-guard spot for a few years.
    No. I think you are rationalizing things after the fact to convince yourself of something that was not the perception at the time. This is revisionist.

Sure, realistically they were focused on development finally but they signed veterans to complement the youth in MCD and Forbes, and tried to at least put together a roster that made sense for them. I also remember Pop talking about how the additions were carefully selected, etc yada yada yada.

So bottom line, they didn't pass up on Duarte with some tank in mind. I think they really were impressed with Primo. We don't have to overthink that. Everything they said, even down to the perceived reach, the growth plates, the playmaking ability that wasn't showcased in college, the youth, etc pointed to what they hoped was a higher ceiling than Duarte bc Duarte is an older player that was close to his ceiling. It was a gamble that Primo would grow taller, stronger, and be better bc he was 18.

I am giving Primo time bc honestly whatever problems others find in him, to me the worst problem is him losing his shooting touch.

--------::::

For Timvp thanks for your honesty in sharing that tweet bc if he was in any other team, I don't think anyone here covets him.

Of course a wing like this current version of him would go on the second round if he can't shoot well. It's not like he's Giddey out there, shooting poorly but playmaking, getting to the rim, grabbing boards, etc. He's got nothing right now, no strengths on which to build up on, but some okay defense.

What he had was his shooting. So yea a guy who can't shoot nor playmake and is a TO machine with the ball, would go on the second round based on what we know now. He's got to get his shooting back, then he'll look at least like the player the Spurs thought they were drafting and he could go on from there.

--------------
    and yea, I know many have said he's reworked his shot, so he's not hopeless. We are in wait and see mode.

FWIW I think he'll look great in summer league of his shot is back. I just hope that translates to the NBA when the season starts.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-20-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atl poster avoiding this thread
    Hi how might I help you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ouch, tbh
    Well
    Yes
    A lot of players in this years draft would be valued over him because they are still potential.
    I will wait to see what happens in the next two years. I'm fairly certain there will be players drafted in the first round this year who will be marginal players at the end of 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ouch, tbh
    Damn. Thanks for that though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. I think you are rationalizing things after the fact to convince yourself of something that was not the perception at the time. This is revisionist.

Sure, realistically they were focused on development finally but they signed veterans to complement the youth in MCD and Forbes, and tried to at least put together a roster that made sense for them. I also remember Pop talking about how the additions were carefully selected, etc yada yada yada.

So bottom line, they didn't pass up on Duarte with some tank in mind. I think they really were impressed with Primo. We don't have to overthink that. Everything they said, even down to the perceived reach, the growth plates, the playmaking ability that wasn't showcased in college, the youth, etc pointed to what they hoped was a higher ceiling than Duarte bc Duarte is an older player that was close to his ceiling. It was a gamble that Primo would grow taller, stronger, and be better bc he was 18.

I am giving Primo time bc honestly whatever problems others find in him, to me the worst problem is him losing his shooting touch.
    I don't think the Spurs passed up on Duarte despite them thinking he was the better player. I believe the Spurs think Primo has the better developmental curve so that he's more likely to contribute more than Duarte is over two contracts. My question was if the Spurs knew Murray was going to be an All-Star, would they have prioritized a role-player in the draft like they did with Vassell rather than gambling on a developmental option. Would they have played the whole off-season differently?

I don't think they intended to win games. McDermott was signed to help the ball flow around White/Murray. Young was a better player than Eubanks, but the Spurs never tired to play him. When asked about it, he basically said the Spurs told him they were rebuilding and didn't think he was a fit for them at that stage. So as far as I can tell, Pop explicitly told Young that they weren't really trying to win, and that that affected how they were approaching team-building and their rotation. It's not a stretch to me that that applied to the draft as well.

I'm not worried about Primo. As I said, I don't think folks realize how much better he is than he was. He didn't look much like it, but he'll show it in the summer league. Just having these three months of uninterrupted development is going to pay huge dividends. I'm not saying that he would be a top-five pick if the Spurs were to have the chance to put him back in the draft. But I do think he'll perform better than most of the high picks do in the SL, despite being the same age as them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that is not what I wanted to hear, but I would have wanted the truth, so thanks to that scout for giving his honest opinion. It's brutal, but I guess it needed to be heard. I also was wearing silver and black glasses, but deep down, I didn't really think he's a lottery pick. Maybe late first round at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hi how might I help you?
    Fortune cookie man
    Tell us more about the future

Thread Information