Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middle class gets a bull wealth tax but 30% of the country furious at the idea American oligarchs should also face wealth taxes.
    San Antonio oligarchs pay county property taxes just like CC. Probably complain less about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supply and demand. If I've got four rental properties that I bought to generate passive income, that's four houses that are no longer on the market for someone looking to buy a home to live in. Every home buyer is not only in compe ion with other home buyers, but also with people looking for investment opportunities. So disincentivize the investment.
    You're exactly right that it's a supply and demand issue, which is why I find it odd you'd focus on a relatively small subset of the issue. Putting that aside, the original context was - affordable housing. That's different than a path to homeownership. Your hypothetical doesn't account for places like California which have rent controls that provide for affordable housing.

Kind of feels like you're continuing to use the umbrella term of "small business" to avoid defending the specific practice of flipping. Not all small business is equal nor good. Not every job needs to contribute to society or serve the economy, but flippers are a net negative, and the fact that there are so many of them means it's too easy to do it.

I'm definitely in favor of increasing supply too. But I won't weep for flippers. They can put those skills to use as contractors and help people increase the value of homes they already own.
    The real issue - which we agree on - is inventory. The issue is way more complicated than investors and flippers (e.g., mortgage rates, supply-chain issues, people wanting more land due to the pandemic, etc...). It's bizarre that you'd focus on penalizing small business owners who flip houses to address the issue. I get that you don't like them, but how are they a net negative (e.g., how do you quantify that)? How do you know it's so easy (e.g., how do you know that they're not trying and flaming out) and why is that a bad thing anyway? In this market, it probably isn't easy or all that profitable considering cost of supplies and the low inventory.

If anything, I could argue that home flippers actually increase home inventory by taking uninhabitable homes and rehabilitating them to be fit for normal occupancy.

These aren't human traffickers - and are oftentimes entrepreneurs who busted their ass to making an honest living.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not an example stick Random consumers see people get into these fancy homes then they look at their conditions and they too want a home. What do you think drove the house flipping craze? you really do let your mouth overrun your ass for a ty baby.
    Simply restating your argument and ignoring your use of a reality TV show to demonstrate it is not good gaslighting, dim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Property tax currently at $12K per year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Property tax currently at $12K per year
    Imagine how many cases Miller and 1.75s of George el you could buy with that $12k.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how many cases Miller and 1.75s of George el you could buy with that $12k.
    Luckily, 12K is not even half my annual bonus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luckily, 12K is not even half my annual bonus.
    Party on. Stock up on the champagne of beers and well bourbon high roller!
    Last edited by Th'Pusher; 04-27-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a load of unsolicited information....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a load of unsolicited information....
    It’s important that we thinly veil how much money we have to strangers on the internet by complaining about how much tax we pay.

CC, how are those Comal county tax rates for the lake house? Oh, and Colorado, for that ski lodge. You’ve got to be being taken to the cleaners. Not to mention all the investment properties.

KarrinS, did your property tax go up for that above ground pool you installed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly is government supposed to regulate housing prices?
    zoning. tax rules favoring certain types of development.

simply make it more profitable to build starter housing.

or , tax the out of the rich, and provide housing assistance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My home's value has risen 70% in six years.

Our country is sucking wind when it comes to getting young people into houses. The price of housing is outpacing that of wages.

Republican policies will never address this, because it means wealth redistribution from poor people to rich people has to reverse.
    tbh this is much more of a supply issue and in many cases a NIMBY issue than a right/left issue. Newsom can't even get the NIMBY s in Cali to allow him to build more housing and that state is Royal Blue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply restating your argument and ignoring your use of a reality TV show to demonstrate it is not good gaslighting, dim.
    DMC: That was not an example, it happens all the time on reality TV, not just on House Hunters, in all reality TV Random home buyers searching for the perfect house, get help from the Property Brothers, but they spend more than they should because of the pressure from the producers who want more drama for the show. Then, when the couple gets in financial trouble and cannot pay the mortage, the producers from Flip or Flop show up and put more pressure on them, thus driving the house flipping craze, hence the term, reality TV. You really think I would say things if I had not saved my favorite programs from Home and Garden TV? I do not gaslight, you gaslight because you probably only have basic cable from COX and cannot afford to watch these premium cable shows and that make me go hmm.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're exactly right that it's a supply and demand issue, which is why I find it odd you'd focus on a relatively small subset of the issue. Putting that aside, the original context was - affordable housing. That's different than a path to homeownership. Your hypothetical doesn't account for places like California which have rent controls that provide for affordable housing.

The real issue - which we agree on - is inventory. The issue is way more complicated than investors and flippers (e.g., mortgage rates, supply-chain issues, people wanting more land due to the pandemic, etc...). It's bizarre that you'd focus on penalizing small business owners who flip houses to address the issue.
    The original context wasn't affordable housing, it was CC asking "How can the government regulate housing prices?" in the context of a property tax discussion and me giving a couple of examples. It was in no way meant to be comprehensive. The corporate predators were a larger focus in my response than independent landlords and flippers.

I'm 100% in favor of more affordable housing. I don't know that it's the best example for a response to the OP though.

I get that you don't like them, but how are they a net negative (e.g., how do you quantify that)? How do you know it's so easy (e.g., how do you know that they're not trying and flaming out) and why is that a bad thing anyway? In this market, it probably isn't easy or all that profitable considering cost of supplies and the low inventory.
    They are a net negative because they drive up property taxes by using houses as investments instead of homes. Instead of housing prices and property taxes increasing naturally based on where people want to live, they are bloated by a needless industry of middlemen. It's bad enough that they drive up pricing for home buyers, but the resulting effect to property taxes means they impact entire neighborhoods... and the worst of it happens in middle class neighborhoods.

I don't think they're bad people. I just think their chosen profession should be discouraged. It wouldn't be the first time we've legislated against certain industries.

If anything, I could argue that home flippers actually increase home inventory by taking uninhabitable homes and rehabilitating them to be fit for normal occupancy.
    Flippers who rehabilitate previously uninhabitable homes are a small percentage of the category. I'm fine with them. I'm sure whatever hypothetical legislation we agree on can detail out how they would be excluded from penalties. , I'd even give them more tax benefits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s important that we thinly veil how much money we have to strangers on the internet by complaining about how much tax we pay.

CC, how are those Comal county tax rates for the lake house? Oh, and Colorado, for that ski lodge. You’ve got to be being taken to the cleaners. Not to mention all the investment properties.

KarrinS, did your property tax go up for that above ground pool you installed?

You asked. The lake house taxes are ing ridiculous. They were already high and going up $4000 more for this year. Colorado, on the other hand intentionally keep the appraisal low and property taxes lower. The total property taxes in Gunnison County on a $750,000 house are under $3000.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, the original question had nothing to do with affordable housing. It was about appraisals going up 30-40% and thus property taxes going up 30-40%. Why do the various taxing en ies need 30-40% increases year over year. Property taxes should go up no faster than inflation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, the original question had nothing to do with affordable housing. It was about appraisals going up 30-40% and thus property taxes going up 30-40%. Why do the various taxing en ies need 30-40% increases year over year. Property taxes should go up no faster than inflation.
    They don't get a 30-40% increase in funds. In Texas, property tax increases are capped at 10% of the increase in appraised value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't get a 30-40% increase in funds. In Texas, property tax increases are capped at 10% of the increase in appraised value.
    So why do they need a 10% increase year over year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why do they need a 10% increase year over year?
    They don't get 10% either. 10% is the ceiling for any individual house. Not every home's property tax increases by 10%, so the total for those en ies will never be 10%. (Excluding new homes)

And once you split among the various en ies, it's probably close to the same as inflation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAISD, for example, projects an increase of about 1.5% from property tax revenue.

https://www.saisd.net/upload/page/02...ict_Budget.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that's only on homestead exemptions, not investment properties/second homes.

Edit. It's only on homestead exemptions. Tex. Prop. Code 23.23(a)(2)(A).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that's only on homestead exemptions, not investment properties/second homes.

Edit. It's only on homestead exemptions. Tex. Prop. Code 23.23(a)(2)(A).
    That's right and a fair point, but even with that factored in, the total revenue increase from property taxes is still nowhere near 30-40% per year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's right and a fair point, but even with that factored in, the total revenue increase from property taxes is still nowhere near 30-40% per year.
    Yeah I have no way of knowing. You could be right. But I've seen property values increase over 40% in Austin, but I'm not attuned to how that's reflected in property tax increases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I have no way of knowing. You could be right. But I've seen property values increase over 40% in Austin, but I'm not attuned to how that's reflected in property tax increases.
    I can't find any primary data on it but according to this article (citing the TX Comptroller's Office) the total increase in property tax revenue has been 20% since 2017, so that figures to be less than 5% on an annual basis.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/04...xes-explained/

Not saying I'm okay with this. I'd rather we had a state income tax anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You asked. The lake house taxes are ing ridiculous. They were already high and going up $4000 more for this year. Colorado, on the other hand intentionally keep the appraisal low and property taxes lower. The total property taxes in Gunnison County on a $750,000 house are under $3000.
    Colorado has state income tax and the overall tax burden is higher in Colorado. Really I don't think you have much to complain about here. I mean, ideologically I don't think there should be any property taxes at all and only income & sales taxes but I can't complain about paying such a low tax rate overall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh this is much more of a supply issue and in many cases a NIMBY issue than a right/left issue. Newsom can't even get the NIMBY s in Cali to allow him to build more housing and that state is Royal Blue

Totally agree.

Thread Information