Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a lot of reaction to the recent appraisal increases...shock may be more appropriate. The fact is, these appraisals are probably accurate...homes in our area HAVE increased in value dramatically. The REAL question we should be asking ourselves is why do the various tax rates have to remain the same as home values go up?? Do the various taxing districts really need 40% more money from each of us this year than they needed last year? If they are going to adjust the appraisals up to current real value then they should adjust the tax rates down to keep up with inflation but not give them a 40% windfall to waste as they see fit, because if we are forced to give it to them they will find a way to spend it. The argument that "The City/County/Schools/Hospitals/VIA are growing and need more money is bogus, because every new house that is built and every new commercial structure that goes up increases their tax base in proportion to the increase in growth. It is time our elected officials actually represented us and not their bureaucracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a lot of reaction to the recent appraisal increases...shock may be more appropriate. The fact is, these appraisals are probably accurate...homes in our area HAVE increased in value dramatically. The REAL question we should be asking ourselves is why do the various tax rates have to remain the same as home values go up?? Do the various taxing districts really need 40% more money from each of us this year than they needed last year? If they are going to adjust the appraisals up to current real value then they should adjust the tax rates down to keep up with inflation but not give them a 40% windfall to waste as they see fit, because if we are forced to give it to them they will find a way to spend it. The argument that "The City/County/Schools/Hospitals/VIA are growing and need more money is bogus, because every new house that is built and every new commercial structure that goes up increases their tax base in proportion to the increase in growth. It is time our elected officials actually represented us and not their bureaucracy.
    My home's value has risen 70% in six years.

Our country is sucking wind when it comes to getting young people into houses. The price of housing is outpacing that of wages.

Republican policies will never address this, because it means wealth redistribution from poor people to rich people has to reverse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Our country is sucking wind when it comes to getting young people into houses. The price of housing is outpacing that of wages.

Republican policies will never address this, because it means wealth redistribution from poor people to rich people has to reverse.
    How exactly is government supposed to regulate housing prices?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Middle class gets a bull wealth tax but 30% of the country furious at the idea American oligarchs should also face wealth taxes.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly is government supposed to regulate housing prices?
    By disincentivizing renting/flipping as career moves. By preventing large companies with reams of access to housing price dynamics from buying up all the available houses. Those would be a good start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By disincentivizing renting/flipping as career moves. By preventing large companies with reams of access to housing price dynamics from buying up all the available houses. Those would be a good start.
    How exactly are you going to enforce this? Tell people who they can and can't sell their house to?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

You are muddling the discussion by bringing poor people into it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly are you going to enforce this? Tell people who they can and can't sell their house to?
    Don't issue a property le if the buyer isn't qualified based on the rules. No le, no sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting aside the corporate example, why should renting and flipping homes be penalized? A lot of small businesses/solo entrepreneurs do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an idea - repeal the caps on the SALT deduction put in by ole orange face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting aside the corporate example, why should renting and flipping homes be penalized? A lot of small businesses/solo entrepreneurs do that.
    That's right, and they drive up housing prices as a result.

It's not like I'm suggesting we outright ban it. I'd just like to see more homes sold to people who want to actually live in them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats not really an explanation for why it would or would not be good policy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    see? california is the true conservative haven with the bull prop 13 preventing their homeowners from experiencing this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    given the proposal is about banning a standing legality I would think the burden of proof would be on the other side. And hurting small business owners being undesirable is almost a meme in our culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not like I'm suggesting we outright ban it. I'd just like to see more homes sold to people who want to actually live in them.
    The issue has always been people living beyond their means. Watching house hunters, people with joint but low income think they can squeeze into a house they cannot actually afford, and often they do. Then they default and the home enters the flipping market (pun intended).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue has always been people living beyond their means. Watching house hunters, people with joint but low income think they can squeeze into a house they cannot actually afford, and often they do. Then they default and the home enters the flipping market (pun intended).
    Only a moron would use a reality TV show example as an anecdote and think it was valid. All you have shown is that you once again don't know what the you are talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a moron would use a reality TV show example as an anecdote and think it was valid. All you have shown is that you once again don't know what the you are talking about.
    It's not an example stick Random consumers see people get into these fancy homes then they look at their conditions and they too want a home. What do you think drove the house flipping craze? you really do let your mouth overrun your ass for a ty baby.
    Last edited by DMC; 04-26-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huse Hunters

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't make this up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotheem!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Helping the middle class by harming the middle class isn't a good explanation for why it would or wouldn't be good policy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another who doesn't understand basic English

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You mentioned renting, which I'm unclear on how that drives up housing prices as a result.

Putting that off to the side, flippers sell to people who want to live in homes. I think your concern is that flippers raise the cost of housing and deprive people who otherwise could afford a home from buying it. To me, that's a problem more directly addressed by increasing inventory and not going after small business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another who doesn't understand basic English
    House Hunters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mentioned renting, which I'm unclear on how that drives up housing prices as a result.
    Supply and demand. If I've got four rental properties that I bought to generate passive income, that's four houses that are no longer on the market for someone looking to buy a home to live in. Every home buyer is not only in compe ion with other home buyers, but also with people looking for investment opportunities. So disincentivize the investment.

Putting that off to the side, flippers sell to people who want to live in homes. I think your concern is that flippers raise the cost of housing and deprive people who otherwise could afford a home from buying it. To me, that's a problem more directly addressed by increasing inventory and not going after small business.
    Kind of feels like you're continuing to use the umbrella term of "small business" to avoid defending the specific practice of flipping. Not all small business is equal nor good. Not every job needs to contribute to society or serve the economy, but flippers are a net negative, and the fact that there are so many of them means it's too easy to do it.

I'm definitely in favor of increasing supply too. But I won't weep for flippers. They can put those skills to use as contractors and help people increase the value of homes they already own.

Thread Information