Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs still turn out to be a fake contender after signing Zach (which I think folks are underestimating the seamless fit Zach will have here) the Spurs aren’t as locked tight with their ceiling as others doomed them to be. Their strategy just needs to continue with drafting high risk, high reward players from the 15th pick all the way to the end of the first round. The advantage this organization has is their scouting and developing prowess. They will never be capped if they understand when to let go of players who limit others (DeMar, Patty, Gay) and let younger players eventually find their niche over time.
    Really can't be overstated how perfect of a fit Zach is. He is everything we all dreamt Lonnie could become.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s still a pipe dream at this stage but if we are playing the game I would offer Lavine the max if I’m the Spurs. He has flaws obviously and isn’t a true franchise player but the Spurs seriously need a talent injection and a go to scorer like Lavine. And you have to overpay to lure these types of you are the Spurs. You can build a good team around him. You’d have a good secondary scorer in DeJounte who can average 20 a night. Your team isn’t going anywhere if DJM is your first offensive option let’s be honest. Good defensive potential (Jak, DJM, Vassell, hopefully Sochan), slashing (Vassell and Keldon). 3 point shooting potential is there with Keldon, Vassell and McDermott off the bench.
    Said this a week or two ago in the off-season thread. Still of the same opinion. 4 years $160m is worth it to me. Being able to put the ball in the basket at an efficient rate is still the most important and desirable single aspect of today’s NBA. You can then build out the other parts of your team around that (defense, shooting, rebounding). These compmentary skills are easier to get than a true elite scorer like a Lavine.

I’d put Vassell at the 3 next to Lavine and Murray and bring Keldon off the bench and draft and sign or trade for a 4 to put next to Jak. Knowing Pop though he’d continue to play Keldon at the 4 and the Spurs will keep treading water on defense and get hammered on the boards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly looking at the cap they should do it. Not that I think LaVine is a franchise player, but if the Spurs let Lonnie, Wieskamp and Cacok go their cap is at 72 million. They would still have J-Rich and McDermott on the books. If you trade them (or let J-Rich expire) that should give you enough room to extend the rooks and Poeltl. It's better than signing a bunch of mediocre guys. My position to this scenario is kind of neutral tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Zach signed here, the Spurs could have 3 Joshes and 2 Zachs on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible to get gobert for McDermott, Poeltl, and Richardson for gobert, and still sign Lavine at the max?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have no idea if it’s feasible, but would interested to see a s&t along these lines and then an offer to miles bridges. Interestingly these two and DJM are Rich Paul clients, if that means anything.
    The Klutch thing stands out to me at least in regards to Lavine.

Spurs might be one of the few teams that actually has a good relationship with Rich Paul, and didn't seem to hold the Morris fiasco against him, even helping him out with Lyles.

People might wonder why Lavine would ever leave the big city and the huge market ... Well that big market got him a deal with New Balance, just like Dejounte. Sure the money might not be equal, but it's not like being in the Chicago market did anything big like his own Nike deal, he's slumming with NB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do find it difficult for Lavine to want to come here unless we show we can build a good team off the bat. And if you take my scenario where spurs trade Poeltl, josh Richardson and McDermott for gobert - then a starting line up of Murray, Lavine, Vassell, Johnson, gobert is damn strong. But the bench of primo, Collins, diop, Jones is really weak.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its strange when we all agree,,,I think LaVine would be a great fit for this team. Where we are gonna disagree is,,,I think there is no way he signs here. He wants to go to a contender,,,,Spurs are not a contender regardless how much you think of Murray.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its strange when we all agree,,,I think LaVine would be a great fit for this team. Where we are gonna disagree is,,,I think there is no way he signs here. He wants to go to a contender,,,,Spurs are not a contender regardless how much you think of Murray.
    Hate to break it to you especially if you live in san antonio. It ain the contender status. Its the small town feel as opposed to big vibrant city that puts off free agents coming to SA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to break it to you especially if you live in san antonio. It ain the contender status. Its the small town feel as opposed to big vibrant city that puts off free agents coming to SA.
    So youre saying if this situation was in the mid 2000's with a prime Duncan, Parker,,,and Manu,,,,LaVine would decline playing for that contender because the market was to small?,,,,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On second thought, Lakers might be all over him as Westbrook replacement.
    They’d have to work miracles to be able to get him. Literal miracles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judging by how many deals get announced within hours of free agency I’m not sure that’s how it actually goes down. We cleared the cap pretty quickly to bring in LMA.
    Aldridge was in SA shopping for houses the week after getting knocked out of the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree -- the combo of Doug, Richardson, Langford's contract gets you close the the ~30M you'd need. Tack on Jock, KBD and you get closer to ~32M. Only contract there with value is Richardson, so spurs probably have to tack on a pick to dispose of Doug. Others can just be waived by CHI.
    why would Chicago do this? Why not just let him walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly looking at the cap they should do it. Not that I think LaVine is a franchise player, but if the Spurs let Lonnie, Wieskamp and Cacok go their cap is at 72 million. They would still have J-Rich and McDermott on the books. If you trade them (or let J-Rich expire) that should give you enough room to extend the rooks and Poeltl. It's better than signing a bunch of mediocre guys. My position to this scenario is kind of neutral tbh
    72mm is too low. Letting those guys go gets you to about 82mm with an expected 122mm cap so 40 in space for the rookies and free agents.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So youre saying if this situation was in the mid 2000's with a prime Duncan, Parker,,,and Manu,,,,LaVine would decline playing for that contender because the market was to small?,,,,
    That situation did happen . Spurs hardly got any major FAs come there aside from Lamarcus who was always coming back to texas . Michael Finley on the tail end of his career comes to mind.

The dont care about the market size. Its about where they going to live.
    Last edited by Slippy; 04-30-2022 at 06:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do find it difficult for Lavine to want to come here unless we show we can build a good team off the bat. And if you take my scenario where spurs trade Poeltl, josh Richardson and McDermott for gobert - then a starting line up of Murray, Lavine, Vassell, Johnson, gobert is damn strong. But the bench of primo, Collins, diop, Jones is really weak.
    Utah isn’t trading Gobert for those scraps lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would Chicago do this? Why not just let him walk.
    I’m pretty sure they’re over the cap if he walks, so they just have the MLE to improve the roster. Trade gets them a year of Richardson and a pick. They may even find keita and/or Jock serviceable, or they can just save about 3M by waiving them. And, I believe in this case they would still ALSO have the MLE to improve.

Or they can let him walk for nothing and hope to improve with the MLE alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure they’re over the cap if he walks, so they just have the MLE to improve the roster. Trade gets them a year of Richardson and a pick. They may even find keita and/or Jock serviceable, or they can just save about 3M by waiving them. And, I believe in this case they would still ALSO have the MLE to improve.

Or they can let him walk for nothing and hope to improve with the MLE alone.
    If Lavine is leaving they are going to have to blow it up. Not sure they want our trash (McDermott) and JRich and a first so start their rebuild.

If Lavine decides he wants San Antonio first we may have some leverage via sign and trade, especially if we also have the cap to sign him outright. If it’s a race between 3-4 teams your going to have to entice the Bulls with young assets and draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah would be lucky to even get that offer. And dumb to turn it down. Trading a Top 10 center on Poeltl for Gobert is pretty stupid. There are ZERO things Gobert does better than Jak.

Also Zach would be our best shooter, transition player, and driver to the hoop, all in one. You pay those guys 40 million a year now and don’t look back. The west isn’t really too heavy anymore where we would have zero shot of winning a round. Like we could beat Memphis or Denver or Dallas or whoever if we have this back court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal has nerve problems that wrecked his shot and his shot is really all he had. Would definitely want to hear some opinions from doctors how well that can be rehabbed.
    His shot is still money, but I'm with you in seeing what will happen with that injury. He hurt his wrist which made him get surgery and sit out the rest of the season so maybe it heals faster with all this time off. Yeah probably not an ideal FA addition though with his age and all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make some great points, but I was more intrigued at this. Beal over Lavine?! I don't think I'd take Beal (and his upcoming extension) on most scenarios, nevermind his asking price. He's old, injured, slow, bad D. Good player in a vacuum but I haven't been surprised at Washington's lack of success under him. Surprising to hear you'd rather have him than Lavine in this scenario.
    I know they are just stats, but in looking at both their numbers, they are both really close even defensively. If Beal is healthy, then I can't see how he isn't the better player and one with more playoff success than Lavine. You're right though, age-wise (going to be 29 in June), and more appropriate for this team, Lavine would be the better option long term despite Lavine's knee injuries. I thought he was a year younger than what he is.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shot is still money, but I'm with you in seeing what will happen with that injury. He hurt his wrist which made him get surgery and sit out the rest of the season so maybe it heals faster with all this time off. Yeah probably not an ideal FA addition though with his age and all.
    He shot 30% from the three last year, worse than White or Murray. If his shot is money it was the ruble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The surgery apparently caused nerve damage, and destroyed his shot. 30% is not money.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shot 30% from the three last year, worse than White or Murray. If his shot is money it was the ruble.

Heh. The Ruble has recovered everything it lost.

On the other hand, I didn't jump out and buy a bunch of Rubles when they were in the tank. I didn't knwo he had nerve damage, but if that's true I would probably let someone else invest in him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh. The Ruble has recovered everything it lost.

On the other hand, I didn't jump out and buy a bunch of Rubles when they were in the tank. I didn't knwo he had nerve damage, but if that's true I would probably let someone else invest in him.
    Yeah... he's on that hometown money where his team probably will be the only want to give him that big money.

Thread Information