Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/reasons-sa...e-makes-sense/

Dejounte might have just been trolling ... but he has a legitimate point, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy gets it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I'm going to say is this: Chicago is all in after signing DeRozan & Vucevic, there's no going back. If they lose Lavine they're screwed, so they're better served taking the risk.
    But if they're in pole position for resigning Lavine and they LET HIM go to the Spurs for a lower offer, you better believe that doesn't speak well of his health going forward, given their privileged access to information. Hope I'm wrong, the whole thing gives me a bad vibe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I'm going to say is this: Chicago is all in after signing DeRozan & Vucevic, there's no going back. So if they're in pole position for resigning Lavine and they LET HIM go to the Spurs for a lower offer, you better believe that doesn't speak well of his health going forward, given their privileged access to information. Hope I'm wrong, the whole thing gives me a bad vibe.
    He's not restricted. If they make the top offer to him, and he decides to go to SA anyway, they didn't LET him go, he chose to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not restricted. If they make the top offer to him, and he decides to go to SA anyway, they didn't LET him go, he chose to go.
    They can offer him more money (upwards of 200M vs around 160M), so if they don't make him a better offer it's because they chose not to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fun fact: Lavine and Kyle Anderson are also former college teammates, and were good friends.
    ————————————
    Ok, leaving that aside. The most important point you made was the one about capspace. Sure many people have reservations about maxing a guy that they do not perceive as a franchise player… (I have my doubts too, not going to lie). But the alternative is spending the same or similar amount on an assortment of roleplayers like last offseason, when the Spurs had a lot of available capspace but it went to Zollins, McDermott, and Bryn Forbes. That is the alternative here, and then eventually you also have to pay your young players that you want to keep, all for a team that is not a playoff contender… not talking championships, let’s start by trying to be a playoff team shall we?

There is an alternative and is continue the rebuild the old fashioned way, without seeking to improve the team significantly, while you continue to search and hope for the luck to draft the franchise player, but the Spurs went against that in each year since Kawhi asked to be traded… so Lavine seems reasonable.

I am also seeing a mirage of the Collins situation from last year, where I am not even sure if the Spurs were interested, but I think they will be here, specially with Pop knowing Lavine from Team USA and enjoying coaching him. Very good article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait for the 100 page rumor thread in the off-season while posters discuss the possibilities of acquiring him and the usual crowd of negative s can call everyone stupid for discussing signing any FA that isn't prime Luka Doncic or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign me up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can offer him more money (upwards of 200M vs around 160M), so if they don't make him a better offer it's because they chose not to.
    Reading comprehension is important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s quotes on LaVine from coaching him last Summer on Team USA:

“The thing I remember most about him, and I can almost quote him, is he would say, ‘Pop, just tell me what you want me to do and I’ll go do it.’ He must’ve told me that 10 times while we were there. And he would follow through on it,” Popovich said. “I’d say, ‘We gotta have you play ‘D.’ We gotta have you use athleticism to make some stops. At the other end they can’t stop you if you’re active and aggressive.’ And he did those things.”

“He was a uva lot of fun,” Popovich said on the Bulls star. “He was so important to what we did just because of his special skills. He and Devin Booker were kind of similar in that regard. They really gave us pace. The speed with which he plays, the athleticism he uses, I would be in awe from time to time with some of the things he would do on the court. That speed, that pace that he gave us allowed a lot of things to happen.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive had a second thought. I trust the Spurs medical staff, but what I don’t want to see is a Chandler Parsons situation, where Dallas didn’t want to re-sign him for Dirk’s twilight because they suspected the knees were a time bomb, Memphis maxed him out and the guy never played to his old standards again. I trust the Spurs medical staff to catch any medical concerns. If they aren’t interested I’ll assume this was a reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not here to say that he's not a good player because he is, but is he enough of a game changer to throw that kind of money at him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yepper!!! Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yepper!!! Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not here to say that he's not a good player because he is, but is he enough of a game changer to throw that kind of money at him?
    This right here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was working on the assumption that the reader uses common sense and is informed that he's happy in Chicago but he's made it known it's a business decision he'll be making. In short, money. So if they offer more money (which they can) they'll get him, and if they don't get him it's because they didn't offer more money although they could (i.e. choice). Do I have to draw a map, or you can follow the breadcrumbs?

EDIT: Breadcrumbs provided for the logically impaired:
    p: Lavine will prioritize money (reasonable assumption based on his words)
    q: Chicago has more money to offer (fact)
    r: Chicago really wants Lavine
    s: Lavine signs with Chicago
    p ^ q ^ r => s (Lavine wants money and Chicago has more money and Chicago really wants Lavine, then Lavine signs with Chicago)
    ~s => ~(p ^ q ^ r) (inverse of the implication)
    ~s => ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r (DeMorgan)
    Assuming ~s (Chicago doesn't sign Lavine): ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r (he didn't go for the money, they didn't have the money, or they didn't want him)
    Given p = V (he's going for the money) and q = V (they have the money): ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r = ~V ∨ ~V ∨ ~r = F ∨ F ∨ ~r = ~r
    Ergo, given p and q, ~s => ~r
    In English, if Lavine is going for the money and they have the money, if they don't sign him it's because they didn't really want him

Comprende?
    Last edited by Ariel; 04-29-2022 at 02:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other option is that he saw chicago go all in, and is underwhelmed. With little flexibility you have no option to change. San antonio has young talent and draft picks. While wed have to ditch talent,. The return would be more flexibility in expirings and draft picks. Would you rather play with a declining former all star or an improving marginal one?.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’d be a gamble certainly. On one hand, if he’s healthy, he’s one of the best 2-Guards in the league and immediately becomes our best offensive player. This is a 2x All-Star who averaged 27/5/5 this season on 51% shooting & 42% from 3 before he hurt his knee. He turns 27 this year so he is just now entering his prime. And let’s face it, this is San Antonio. We are going to have to pay the Max to get a player of his caliber (he’d get the Max elsewhere anyways).

On The other hand, he does have these knee issues, he doesn’t play much Defense, and he’s often seen as more of an empty stats guy than someone who effects Winning like a Max guy should. So it really just depends on who you ask.

Personally, I do l think PATFO are definitely interested and willing to pay him that Max if he’s willing to come here. Whether or not he’d choose our offer over Chicago’s or anyone else remains to be seen. But the fact the he’s good friends with DJ, he apparently likes Pop, and us having no state income tax here I think definitely at the very least will make him give it some thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was working on the assumption that the reader uses common sense and is informed that he's happy in Chicago but he's made it known it's a business decision he'll be making. In short, money. So if they offer more money (which they can) they'll get him, and if they don't get him it's because they didn't offer more money although they could (i.e. choice). Do I have to draw a map, or you can follow the breadcrumbs?

EDIT: Breadcrumbs provided for the logically impaired:
    p: Lavine will prioritize money (reasonable assumption based on his words)
    q: Chicago has more money to offer (fact)
    r: Chicago really wants Lavine
    s: Lavine signs with Chicago
    p ^ q ^ r => s (Lavine wants money and Chicago has more money and Chicago really wants Lavine, then Lavine signs with Chicago)
    ~s => ~(p ^ q ^ r) (inverse of the implication)
    ~s => ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r (DeMorgan)
    Assuming ~s (Chicago doesn't sign Lavine): ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r (he didn't go for the money, they didn't have the money, or they didn't want him)
    Given p = V (he's going for the money) and q = V (they have the money): ~p ∨ ~q ∨ ~r = ~V ∨ ~V ∨ ~r = F ∨ F ∨ ~r = ~r
    Ergo, given p and q, ~s => ~r
    In English, if Lavine is going for the money and they have the money, if they don't sign him it's because they didn't really want him

Comprende?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach has perfect reasons to leave. The Olympics couldn’t have happened at a better time. That fostered friendship with DJ helps a lot too. It’s the perfect storm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago wouldn’t be upset. They shouldn’t be. There’s no burning of bridges here. Zach owes them nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. I like LaVine. But I have reservations on LaVine being a #1 option. And the Spurs are in desperate need for a goto scorer. Is it LaVine? Plus he’s another 6’5” who we have Devin and Primo already as promising players. It remains to be seen who they get in the draft. If we get a pure scorer like Shaedon, then forget it. If they get a Keegan or another PF, then maybe. I gues what I’m saying is Spurs could take a shot of him. But he’s not Spurs #1 priority this Summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article!

It's definitely a situation that the Spurs have to investigate deeply and with caution. With the uptempo style of play with the youngsters in SA, I can see Lavine fitting in well and helping others develop.
    I'd think we lose LWIV and Richardson at the very least. I'm no Pat Riley, but, a power forward who can rebound, shoot the three and defend, along with Lavine, raises the bar for next season significantly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said for years that the dude was empty stats ala DePression. That being said, he's a better roster fit than DePression ever was and isn't anywhere near as bad a defender. Would come down to his knees for me and if the Spurs could land a legit PF in the draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other option is that he saw chicago go all in, and is underwhelmed. With little flexibility you have no option to change. San antonio has young talent and draft picks. While wed have to ditch talent,. The return would be more flexibility in expirings and draft picks. Would you rather play with a declining former all star or an improving marginal one?.
    San Antonio would not be a desired location if he wants to win now.

Thread Information