Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/paolo-banc...raft-prospect/

I wrote more on why I think Paolo Banchero would be the pick if the Spurs win the draft lottery. Chet Holmgren is really darn tempting the closer I look at his tape ... but I'm keeping Paolo number one, for now, at least, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a long shot but we can dream all the way until the 17th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing this happen would make me the happiest I've been about a new player since we signed Aldridge in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another Seattle guy who’s good buddies with Dejounte. Banchero seems to be the guy most people on this board want. A plug-and-play starter from day 1 on whatever team he gets drafted by. Played to his potential in the NCAA tournament and showed why he was a highly touted high school prospect.

He’s going top-2 though unfortunately, so barring some incredibly fortunate bouncing of the lottery balls, this is likely a pipe dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The amount of swag these two would have because they’re cut from the same cloth. League’s best duo in a couple years if it happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup this would be the perfect fit. Then sign Lavine and bring back the Super Sonics Jerseys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There seems to be a consensus that most teams would pick Chet or Jabari Smith in the top 2, and some even may have Ivey ranked very high (Detroit). So chances are good Banchero could be had at 3, even at 4 if the right team jumps into the top 3 (Detroit has a 40.1% chance of picking top 3).

So I'd say the Spurs have 15% - 20% chance of landing Banchero (1 in 5 to 1 in 6). It's UNLIKELY, sure... but maybe not as much as we think. And an IMMEDIATE and DRASTIC change in the future of the franchise. Fingers crossed.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Banchero would be better than Chet.

I don't want that gangly, awkward looking player on the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As good as Banchero looks like he’ll be on paper, there are legitimate concerns about how he will translate to the NBA. First of all, his fit on the defensive end isn’t a natural one. He’s a really good athlete in most facets of the sport but his feet aren’t the quickest, which means he could have trouble defending out on the perimeter. And while Banchero is a big hombre, he’s not a natural rim protector and he’s only an average rebounder — so you don’t want him to spend too much time at center early in his career.
    Spot on. Reminds me of the word, at the time, on another consensus #1 pick coming out of college who, in addition to all his other elite abilities, developed into a plus defender and rebounder for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on. Reminds me of the word, at the time, on another consensus #1 pick coming out of college who, in addition to all his other elite abilities, developed into a plus defender and rebounder for the Spurs.
    What do you mean? Even as a freshman, Duncan collected two more rebounds than Banchero per game at fewer minutes. Banchero blocked nearly 0.9 shots a game while Timmy blocked 3.8. By the time he was a senior, Duncan was collecting twice as many rebounds, at 14.7, than Banchero does.

Even as freshmen, Duncan was insane and Banchero isn't even close to the same prospect. He may be great, but let's not make this comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even as freshmen, Duncan was insane and Banchero isn't even close to the same prospect.
    Absolutely correct. But their (however slight) criticisms were similar coming out of college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I'd say the Spurs have 15% - 20% chance of landing Banchero (1 in 5 to 1 in 6). It's UNLIKELY, sure... but maybe not as much as we think. And an IMMEDIATE and DRASTIC change in the future of the franchise. Fingers crossed.
    eh isn't #1 2 3 more like a less then 6% chance?

Now that we had that all important play in experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are telling me there is a chance…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have doubts about Banchero as top pick. He reminds me of a DeMarcus Cousins who is not a headcase or a Julius Randle who is not as tunnel-visioned. He's just in a bit of no-man's land in the modern NBA if he's not going to protect the rim or be a phenomenal rebounder. Still, his value on offense would be very good. I might put him second on the top wish list above Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are telling me there is a chance…

Commissioner Earvin EJ Johnson Jr will say
    "In the 2032 NBA draft, with #1 overall pick for the 4th year in a row the NBA San Antonio Spurs and coach Greggor Pop select...."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won’t get excited about this possibility until after the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Time between buying a Lotto ticket and the drawing coming up empty
    “Lottery La La Land”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lottery La La Land” Is
    Cabo
    Yachts
    Tequila shots from a nubile wench’s belly button
    Stuff like that

Or Spurs somehow getting Banchero

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big fan of Banchero. My clear #2 but certainly don't think of him as a runner-up type selection.

Now the question I ask, were the guys he played with - Moore, Williams, Keels and Griffin, (who are all considered potential first rounders in this draft), that good or
    was Banchero that dominant, as a focal point that he elevated them to being as such?

I believe it's the former but time will tell if he's the 2022 Elton Brand.

That 1999 team had Corey Maggette, Trajan Langdon, Shane Battier, William Avery - who all went first round in the 1999 Draft, and Chris Carrawell - Second Rounder.
    Maggette justified the lotto selection but took some time and Battier was considered a 'can't miss' role player. The others' limitations were exposed in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh isn't #1 2 3 more like a less then 6% chance?

Now that we had that all important play in experience.
    The chances of Banchero being available when the Spurs pick are:
    * Pick 1 (4.5%): every player is available, including Banchero.
    * Pick 2 (4.8%): It's HIGHLY likely Banchero is available... I'd say 90% chance Chet or Jabari go no. 1
    * Pick 3 (5.2%): Chances are good Banchero is available, as Chet and Jabari seem to be the consensus top 2 picks... say 75% chance of this happening
    * Pick 4 (5.7%): There's a small chance Banchero is available, depending on the teams picking top 3. For instance, Detroit is said to be very high on Ivey (even at 1/2), and there's a 40.1% chance they pick 1-3. There may be other combinations, so we could assign a 25% chance of Banchero still being available at 4.
    So this would yield a 14,145% chance (0.045 * 1 + 0.048 * 0.9 + 0.052 * 0.75 + 0.057 * 0.25) of Banchero being available when the Spurs pick.
    Granted, it's all speculative and subject to many ifs and buts, however I don't think those are unreasonable ones.

BTW, the Spurs had a 14.29% chance at Robinson and a 21.4% chance at Duncan, and we know how those turned out... so impossible it's not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now the question I ask, were the guys he played with - Moore, Williams, Keels and Griffin, (who are all considered potential first rounders in this draft), that good or was Banchero that dominant, as a focal point that he elevated them to being as such?
    Banchero was much more of a factor for Duke than Chet was for Gonzaga. In fact this is exactly why I'm so underwhelmed by Chet, when it mattered the most he was a no show for Gonzaga, they were totally reliant on his teammate Timme to carry them offensively, with Chet being relegated to a very, very small role (offensively). Not the kind of stuff you'd expect from a top 1 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maggette justified the lotto selection but took some time and Battier was considered a 'can't miss' role player. The others' limitations were exposed in the NBA.
    Elton Brand was a 20&10 guy for a long time, back when that was much harder to accomplish. I see no shame in that.
    Battier was that and then some. He played over 10 seasons and was one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league in that span, and an NBA champion.

It's an Adam Morrison or Emeka Okafor situation that would be cause for concern, but those are more akin to, say, Keegan Murray... older college player whose overachieving lead to them being picked over their talent level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero was much more of a factor for Duke than Chet was for Gonzaga. In fact this is exactly why I'm so underwhelmed by Chet, when it mattered the most he was a no show for Gonzaga, they were totally reliant on his teammate Timme to carry them offensively, with Chet being relegated to a very, very small role (offensively). Not the kind of stuff you'd expect from a top 1 pick.
    Would Banchero be the top dog if he played for Gonzaga and with Timme? I'm not sure. Most likely he would defer too.

The seniority of these college programs carry weight. It's why similarly we were seeing players consistently defer to DDR when he was here.
    There was a clear hierarchy and order already in place.

Now I'm not saying that Holmgren is the overall Offensive player that Banchero is right now, or that he may ever become one.
    What Chet does well is all the little things that help win ball games. He is one of those unique players who can dominate a game without the raw numbers in the box score.

If the frame is the main Question mark, (and granted it's seen as a big if by many people, from all walks of b-ball experience), is it enough to dissuade you from taking the player who has dominated at every level of compe ion up to this point?
    For some it is.
    I persoanlly think he'll be a two way beast in a couple of seasons and make a significant defensive impact from day 1.

I'm going to post the Mike Schmitz interview back from October 2021. Was going to save it for timvp's future Chet breakdown but here it is.
    Love the bit where he talks about being dunked on. 6:18 - 6:52 mark of the video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timme was an upperclassmen but Holmgren was highly efficient when used. He definitely doesn't project as a high volume scorer but his defensive impact is far beyond anyone in his range. His advanced defensive stats (and actual defensive stats) are better than even Evan Mobley's were last year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs select P.B. with one of the top picks, there's a good chance Pop will not start him the 1st half of the season and maybe even send him to the G-league for the first part of the season. Just saying.

Thread Information