View Poll Results: Has Greek Freak approached early Timmy Duncan level??

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 35.42%
  • No

25 52.08%
  • Ask me after this seasons playoffs

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Early" Timmy Dunker. Calm down, i didn't say Player of his Generation Timmy Duncan.
    Has Freak gotten to the point he is now early Timmy Duncan level impact?

Duncan obviously made the earlier pro impact at age 21 after 4 years at Wake.
    Freak was 18, almost 19 his rookie year. Keep Primo in mind.

Discuss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Hes the closest we have seen to a Duncan as a franchise player (all factors)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just yet imo but pretty close. He wins this year and I'm ready to put him in that convo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s quite a special player. What’s more, he’s got that confidence now about him in a way that few, if any, in his age cohort have. Night and day between him and Tatum, who is also an elite talent. That only comes with being top dog on a winner at the highest levels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, but I'm sure TV stations like ESPN will start to ask if he's the best PF ever once he wins his 2nd ring...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is closer to David Robinson than TD. And before anyone mentions that DR didn't win a championship without TD. Just ing imagine DR playing in today's rules. He would be the greek freak but with a jumper and better shot blocking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he needs to do more in the playoffs. Not necessarily RINGZ so much as just proving he can elevate his game. It wasn't until the Nets series last season that he started to do so.

And I don't want to hear about superior catch all metrics. Today's players have significant advantages (less minutes, superior pace, spacing, less contact, one big lineups/teams mostly punting the offensive glass, etc.).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s closer to D-Rob in player comparison. But in terms of his resume, yes he has. He has a real chance to go down as a top-3 PF all time.

He’s already a 2x MVP, DPOY, & NBA Champion/FMV at age 27. Best two-way superstar the league has seen in a long time. And he’s humble and likable like Timmy was. Great franchise leader for a small-market team.

And, he’s got a lot of time to add to that resume as he’s in his prime right now and Milwaukee has done a great job of putting talent around him drafting Middleton, trading for Jrue, and signing shooters like Lopez and co. to keep them compe ive for the next few years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is closer to David Robinson than TD. And before anyone mentions that DR didn't win a championship without TD. Just ing imagine DR playing in today's rules. He would be the greek freak but with a jumper and better shot blocking.
    DRob would be perfect for this era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s already a 2x MVP, DPOY, & NBA Champion/FMV at age 27. Best two-way superstar the league has seen in a long time. And he’s humble and likable like Timmy was. Great franchise leader for a small-market team.
    I'm shocked he's not that well liked all around, he embodies everything that is right: talent + hard work + humility + loyalty... If the Spurs aren't in the picture, I'm rooting for Giannis & Bud.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on,,,The Greek freak is freakishly athletic like Robinson was. Duncan was never very athletic. He wasnt catlike quick or could cover all 5 positions on defense. He was the Big Fundamental for a reason,,,,he was the best at his position and perfected it,,,,he didnt try to be a PG and bring the ball up or fade out to the 3 point line and shoot 3's. The guy that reminded me more of Duncan is Deandre Ayton from the Suns but hes not even close to Duncans level yet but I think that kid is gonna be special in the coming years,,,,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minus the ball handling and the 3 pt shooting

Not saying Giannis is a great 3 pt shooter but he must better than Robinson in that aera

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Giannis is like a hybrid version of Robinson and Pippen. He plays all five positions including point forward and guards all five positions. His three point shooting and assist totals are better than Robinson's but below Pippen's. Ultimately, he's probably more versatile than either. It drives me a little crazy when people throw around the term "positionless" basketball because they really are talking about players who are capable of slotting up or down a position-- but very few players are truly positionless. Giannis and prime LeBron might be the only ones that truly fit that description in this era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis had a slower uprise while Timmy basically took the league by storm. That said, Giannis in 9 seasons...

2x MVP....check

6x All Star....check

5x All NBA...check

5x All Defense...check

1x DPOY...something even Timmy never got, but he was robbed on a couple occasions

1x NBA Champion....and a good shot at another one this year

He hasn't surpassed Duncan, but he is on the trajectory of being in the convo.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the athletic Tim Duncan play agains these losers big men we have today. It would be murder.

Giannis is great, but the compe ion he faces is dog most of the nights... It will be also interesting to see him in 5 years when he gets older, cause i dont think his athleticism will save him then. Just look at him when he plays for Greece. He's garbage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all i know is the freak is a bad man. and the best player in basketball right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minus the ball handling and the 3 pt shooting

Not saying Giannis is a great 3 pt shooter but he must better than Robinson in that aera
    You don't think if DR was drafted in this era, he wouldn't work in a 3 point shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Giannis and he would be my #1 pick right now if I could choose any one player to start a team.
    The level of play Giannis has achieved lately is comparable with what Timmy did in 2001-2003 when he was an absolute monster.

The one way in which they are most similar is the mental makeup.
    Both guys can dominate a game, even if their shot is not working, simply because of their intense desire to win and the ability to bring that compe ive fire every single night.

The biggest difference is that TD did it over and over again for a VERY long time and won five rings
    It remains to be seen if the Greek Freak will have that kind of longevity.
    Ultimately that is what is likely to keep TD as the #1 PF of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think if DR was drafted in this era, he wouldn't work in a 3 point shot?
    If

nobody knows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like Admiral is quicker that Giannis, maybe that offsets the outside shooting so that I can keep #50 above him in my personal ranked list that everyone cares about

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just yet imo but pretty close. He wins this year and I'm ready to put him in that convo
    He wins this year and he's already done something TD never could..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s the Suns time this year. I don’t think the Greek repeats.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Giannis' game is pretty unique. I think his offense is kind of a hybrid between LeBron and Shaq. And defensively, he reminds more of KG. Bodytype and athleticism, I do like the Admiral comparison.

But style of game aside, Duncan isn't the guy I'd compare Giannis' dominance with. I think his dominance reminds me more of Shaq than Duncan. Giannis' uses superior size and physicality on offense. Awkward, not smooth, sometimes even clumsy, but efficient and extremely effective. Again style and even skill set aren't the same. But his dominance for me feels more like Shaq than Duncan.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    divide stats by possessions.

timmy would put up crazy numbers with all the extra possessions.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm shocked he's not that well liked all around, he embodies everything that is right: talent + hard work + humility + loyalty... If the Spurs aren't in the picture, I'm rooting for Giannis & Bud.
    I'm a big Giannis supporter.

And better the Bucks again than anyone else.

Thread Information