Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to buy up those tickets to watch this mediocrity. I don’t think the Spurs are going anywhere. I could see them playing more home games in Austin. It makes sense to me and the players would probably welcome it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that college sports is so big in NC should prove why winning is important when it comes to getting good attendance. Sure like you mentioned Charlotte has the Panthers, and college sports but they don't have an impact on the Hornets attendance when they are winning. It really comes down to winning more so than location.

Charlotte also used to lead the league in home attendance for nearly all of the 90's. It fell apart once scandals hit the team with the ownership group along with their attempts to move. If those scandals didn't happen and the team consistently played above .500 ball like they did during the 90's and early '00s there is no doubt in my mind their attendance would be one of the best in the league.
    Forgot about those early expansion Hornet teams with Zo and LJ. They were tough.

I still think a good location has a huge smoothing effect during the lean times, so that the team isn’t so dependent on the boom and bust cycle. An example: I lived in Baltimore once upon a time. The Os stunk, but tickets were reasonable, the stadium was awesome (one of the best in baseball tbh), and my buddies and I would regularly peace out around the 5 or 6th to head over to Fed Hill/Fells Point (nearby neighborhoods along the harbor) to continue the evening. The game was just part of the larger outing, but bottom line we still bought tickets to the game.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    VERY savvy of the spurs to do.

also interesting that NO other team is doing this.

i talked to a higher up in austin. they said the mavs & rockets have no plans to play in austin. sa is obviously closer but i thought it was worth asking.

they also said there’s no plan for the spurs moving to austin. they don’t work for the spurs org but are directly related. that information would be super hush hush anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio will never be the market for an NFL or MLB team with the Cowboys/Texans and Astros/Rangers ruling the market. They tried that with the Alamodome and failed to draw an NFL team, and now we are lucky to show a ing bowl game once a year.

Austin is more likely to draw another major league team than SA at this point.

San Antonio does have the benefit of being most successful and storied NBA franchise in Texas, and that's why it will continue to be in San Antonio.

The metro is ing huge and only expanding into New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, etc....which is why this effort from the Spurs B&E group is smart to tap into that market, and not a sign they are trying to jump ship.
    Texans are nothing in this town. I don’t think JJ would object to an AFC team here, since he could still beam his Cowboys crack to the faithful on Sundays.

Thread Information