Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Downtown Detroit has had a little renaissance the last 5-10 years. I got dirt cheap court side Spurs/Pistons tickets - few years back and I was impressed. 30 minutes out of town and there are some real nice suburbs. weather half the year but summertime northern Michigan has great cottage life.
    Weather is even worse when you are on a 10 game losing streak. Maybe Poeltl gets that 18-20 million a year. I doubt it just bc he’s so bad on offense where he can’t shoot, clogs the lane, and doesn’t run the break the way you want your starting big man to run out when you have a young team that plays fast. People here just take it as gospel that he will get that number. My point is that only 10 centers in the whole league are earning that much and I just don’t see him being added to that already small list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weather is even worse when you are on a 10 game losing streak. Maybe Poeltl gets that 18-20 million a year. I doubt it just bc he’s so bad on offense where he can’t shoot, clogs the lane, and doesn’t run the break the way you want your starting big man to run out when you have a young team that plays fast. People here just take it as gospel that he will get that number. My point is that only 10 centers in the whole league are earning that much and I just don’t see him being added to that already small list.
    Maybe true, but you yourself claim to have a ton of ignorance of many things like QO's and who has what in terms of cap and college prospects beyond a few names so...
    I just can't take your words for much and neither should many.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignore the Dunks from this clip and enjoy the unique Guard Qualities that Chet can offer. Also a Top of the Key catch ala Dirk which should be a move/shot he develops further as his career develops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this guy is underated cause he'll be an elite defender imo. Plus the fact that he can shoot the 3, pass the ball .... he could develop into a really good player in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignore the Dunks from this clip and enjoy the unique Guard Qualities that Chet can offer. Also a Top of the Key catch ala Dirk which should be a move/shot he develops further as his career develops.
    Exactly.
    The main scout i talked to had his game as more similar to Durbetas then the typical F's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe true, but you yourself claim to have a ton of ignorance of many things like QO's and who has what in terms of cap and college prospects beyond a few names so...
    I just can't take your words for much and neither should many.
    It’s been a crazy year for me both professionally and personally, in a good way where I just don’t have the time anymore to watch college basketball. Last year I wanted Sengun and I stand by that. The year before I wanted Vassell and we got him. This year I haven’t even looked at any college guys outside of the top 4. I will have time in about a month so I will give my opinion like the week before the draft

The QO thing was just wondering what’s the max the Warriors can pay Jordan? I usually ask chinook, or whoever about that kinda stuff and I’ve never pretended to know that. But I was right about Poeltl. I mean there are guys saying he’s out most important player and should be in DPOY consideration and is a winner. The guy is none of that. And now people are saying he’s going to get 20 million a year bc that’s the modern game today. We pay centers who can’t shoot, rim run, with back problems at 26 that type of money. You can say I’ve been wrong about everything and don’t know anything at all but that’s a bet I’m willing to take. Poeltl will not make 20 million a year. And if Poeltl does make that type of money I will change my avatar to him, pm a pick of me in a brand new Poeltl jersey holding a Poeltl rookie card and throw on a jersey of player of your choice as well that I will buy for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s been a crazy year for me both professionally and personally, in a good way where I just don’t have the time anymore to watch college basketball. Last year I wanted Sengun and I stand by that. The year before I wanted Vassell and we got him. This year I haven’t even looked at any college guys outside of the top 4. I will have time in about a month so I will give my opinion like the week before the draft

The QO thing was just wondering what’s the max the Warriors can pay Jordan? I usually ask chinook, or whoever about that kinda stuff and I’ve never pretended to know that. But I was right about Poeltl. I mean there are guys saying he’s out most important player and should be in DPOY consideration and is a winner. The guy is none of that. And now people are saying he’s going to get 20 million a year bc that’s the modern game today. We pay centers who can’t shoot, rim run, with back problems at 26 that type of money. You can say I’ve been wrong about everything and don’t know anything at all but that’s a bet I’m willing to take. Poeltl will not make 20 million a year. And if Poeltl does make that type of money I will change my avatar to him, pm a pick of me in a brand new Poeltl jersey holding a Poeltl rookie card and throw on a jersey of player of your choice as well that I will buy for you.
    Given our roster setup Poeltl is the most important player on the defensive end. It is because he is able to provide good interior defense and is not too slow. However, if we can improve our forwards, his importance would be reduced. I believe his value is between 12.5 to 15. Anything higher than that he should be plying his trade on other teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given our roster setup Poeltl is the most important player on the defensive end. It is because he is able to provide good interior defense and is not too slow. However, if we can improve our forwards, his importance would be reduced. I believe his value is between 12.5 to 15. Anything higher than that he should be plying his trade on other teams.
    I agree about the 12-15 mil per year value for Poeltl. People should look at his number in the context of the projected rising cap - by the time his new contract kicks in the salary cap will be well north of 120 mil, so as a % of the cap it might not be that much more compared to what it is now.

Whether it's worth investing so much in the center position for a rebuilding team is another question, but if he gets paid closer to what Valanciunas makes rather than say Capela, he'd be an asset that could be moved for value if needed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is a poor man's Unicorn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is kind of who I would want if SA gets into the top 4. He reminds me of Kristaps but who takes the game seriously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

These guard qualities get less and less as the player gets to each new level of basketball. Great example would be Precious Achiuwa who had all this perimeter ability in high school, showed half of that ability in college, and then none at all in the NBA. This is the problem with relying on high school tape.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These guard qualities get less and less as the player gets to each new level of basketball. Great example would be Precious Achiuwa who had all this perimeter ability in high school, showed half of that ability in college, and then none at all in the NBA. This is the problem with relying on high school tape.
    Yes but You Can have it with Holmgren in NCAA too. With his long arms he showed some really nice switchability with Gonzaga.

His defense will easily translate in the NBA , he is Not comparable with achiuwa in that way.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet needs to play as a center not as a PF, pulled away from the basket he will lose his most important asset, his post defense and his shot blocking. So if the Spurs draft Chet they need to trade Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet needs to play as a center not as a PF, pulled away from the basket he will lose his most important asset, his post defense and his shot blocking. So if the Spurs draft Chet they need to trade Poeltl.
    Chet is not just a rim shot blocker. He can block in the midrange and at the arc.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet lacks explosiveness and does not have a quick release on his shot and does not have a quick first step and won't be able to create separation with quickness so I don't see him as an effective go to scoring option.

His strength lies as a shot blocker, rim protector defender.

A top four pick needs to be strong offensively to be worth a top four pick and the spurs need more of an explosive go to scorer than a below the rim defender.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is not just a rim shot blocker. He can block in the midrange and at the arc.
    Agree he is a good overall shot blocker with his long reach but if you're playing him away from the basket you're not getting the best use of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's wait to see where we actually pick before fantasizing too much about top 4 picks or we might get disappointed. I'll consider spurs pick 9 by default and anything better is a bonus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's wait to see where we actually pick before fantasizing too much about top 4 picks or we might get disappointed. I'll consider spurs pick 9 by default and anything better is a bonus.
    True and to be fair SA has better odds of falling to pick 10 than they do of moving to top 4… it’s basically 50/50 chance of pick 9 vs pick 1-4 or 10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is a pretty great video on Holmgren. It won't matter for us anyway, though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim played PF and still impacted the post defense. Chet needs to be able to float on offense, and defense.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, probably won’t matter. Debating Eason vs Sochan or Davis vs Mathurin is probably more useful. Chet is a great compe or it seems, so though it is difficult imagining how he translates for me, I have some confidence his compe iveness will allow him to maximize whatever role his limitations place upon him. Or something like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Holmgren a lot. But if he is the pick, Poeltl may be a goner after his free agency next summer. I think that would be a real shame because I believe Poeltl is currently the second best player on the team.

That’s why I’d prefer someone like Banchero or Smith. I think their fit in our current roster is much cleaner.
    Admittedly, Poeltl has grown on me, but being realistic, I can't see someone paying more than 15M or 16M for him because he's just so limited offensively and his FT % is simply atrocious. Did he even make it back above 50% by the end of the year?

His defense is above average. But unless he's in a pick and roll with DJ, his game falters. That was evident when DJ was out.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim played PF and still impacted the post defense. Chet needs to be able to float on offense, and defense.
    I sure hope the spurs don't draft Chet. What an ugly game this guy has.

Not a go to player the team should be building around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sure hope the spurs don't draft Chet. What an ugly game this guy has.

Not a go to player the team should be building around.
    PATFO can have an interesting rating system for players but not sure name ranks at all. He would be tough to pass up at #3 if Smith/PB were already taken.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO can have an interesting rating system for players but not sure name ranks at all. He would be tough to pass up at #3 if Smith/PB were already taken.
    Rather have Ivey or Sharpe, who have bigger upsides.
    Chet will be more of an impact player in college than the NBA.

Some team will regret taking him before Sharpe and Ivey in the future and I don't want that team to be the Spurs.

Don't want that gawky looking player on the Spurs.

Thread Information